Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 13:26   #46
BANNED

@RedMM340: Is it possible to post pics of where exactly you have welded the roll cage. I have seen a lot of garages do it differently.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2008, 15:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
hey,

Have a question on the Bilstiens and Rancho's. What size fits an MM550. Do you have the exact model number? Will they also fit, if I add a two inch lift with an extra leaf?

I am running Bilstein Heavy Duty p/n B46-0250-HD . I don't know for a fact how well they work for +2 inches of lift, but I suspect that there should be no problem.

Don't have the Rancho p/n in front of me, but I can check in garage to see if the p/n is stamped on the old Ranch shocks, if you really want the #s. I have tried Rancho 5000's and 9000's, both of which do not even come close to the Bilstein HDs in terms of performance.
Old 24th May 2008, 09:45   #48
BHPian

Hi RedMM340,

Awesome machine. Very well taken pictures. Good Job!!!!!.
Old 17th October 2008, 18:49   #49
BHPian

hey man, you are the guy who inspired me to search and buy a MM 550 XDP, 4wd. i guess i was one lucky guy to get hold of one. i had a xdp 550 5 speed prev, but that was 2wd, now i got a 550 XDP 4wd , with 5 speed gear, disc brake and a great engine. love your esteem seats man, where can i lay my hands on a pair?
Old 19th October 2008, 09:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hey man, you are the guy who inspired me to search and buy a MM 550 XDP, 4wd. i guess i was one lucky guy to get hold of one. i had a xdp 550 5 speed prev, but that was 2wd, now i got a 550 XDP 4wd , with 5 speed gear, disc brake and a great engine. love your esteem seats man, where can i lay my hands on a pair?

Hi whitemm550,
Glad to hear that you got yourself a 4x4!

Those esteem seats were sourced from Karol Bagh, Delhi many years back, and I would expect that they are easy to find in Delhi. Any large car upholstery shop should be able to get a set of good seats.

Regards,
Old 19th October 2008, 10:20   #51

hi, I own an mm540dp/4wd, with a xdp.4.9 engine 96 model, I have covered a lot of distance in this vehicle close to about 160,000. recently when the driver was driving the vehicle he has not checked the water levels and the engine is ceased, I can see from the thread that you have experimented with different engines for the jeeps, wanted your advice on whether I should rebuild the same engine or replace it with some other if so which one would you suggest. Also the engine has already been rebuilt twice,
thanks
-Sai
Old 19th October 2008, 18:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sairaam,

You should search the threads and you will see a lot of discussions around the various engine options and the pros and cons of each. If you can find an XD3P 2.5 liter engine from a Bolero or Army mm550 you should buy that instead of rebuilding yours since the extra power is nice.

Besides it is a straight forward fit with your 4 speed gear box. You don't need to fabricate adapter plates, etc...
Old 20th October 2008, 09:47   #53

thanks for the reply, I will search the threads as you suggested...
Thanks-Sai
Old 21st October 2008, 17:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairaam rai View Post
thanks for the reply, I will search the threads as you suggested...
Thanks-Sai
sai ram, sorry to hear about your engine man, but the right word is 'SEIZED" and not " CEASED"
bye and cheriocheers:
Old 21st October 2008, 18:20   #55

I meant seized... thanks man!!
Old 21st October 2008, 19:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
Hi Whitemm550,
Can you please pics of your jeep over here please. Your garage is not viewable.

Also do post interior pics aswell , because in many threads its mentioned that Army Spec MM550 dont have 5 speed G'Box. They are 4 speed only.
(Only latest Army jeeps have 5 Speed )
Old 21st October 2008, 19:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
hi, I own an mm540dp/4wd, with a xdp.4.9 engine 96 model, I have covered a lot of distance in this vehicle close to about 160,000. recently when the driver was driving the vehicle he has not checked the water levels and the engine is ceased, I can see from the thread that you have experimented with different engines for the jeeps, wanted your advice on whether I should rebuild the same engine or replace it with some other if so which one would you suggest. Also the engine has already been rebuilt twice,
thanks
-Sai
Sai,

The most straight forward way to get your jeep up and running is to do an overhaul.

Engine swaps are usually for larger or more powerful engines. This adds a great deal of complexity, time, and cost. So you need to determine if you need more power than what you had with your XDP4.9. If you really had no problems, than stick with the same motor. Keep in mind that you can even tune the XDP4.9 for more power if needed (but more fuel consumption too) by increasing the fuel flow, free flow air filter, and exhaust.

Regards,
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....whether I should rebuild the same engine or replace it with some other if so which one would you suggest. Also the engine has already been rebuilt twice,
thanks
-Sai
4x4addict is quite correct. Having driven both engines I have to say the xd3p really is a noticeable improvement in power. However, the engine you have is easier to rebuild than most and I presume that means "cheaper", too. See post #105 .....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ck-road-7.html
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:07   #59

Thanks Dirty Dan ,that was very helpful, I think I will go with the idea of rebuilding my XDP 4.9. The only reason i was looking at changing the engine was that the last time the engine was rebuilt I found that there was a considerable drop in performance. But reading through these posts I realise it must have been more because of the poor workmanship... I think to a certain extent I am to blame too cause i went in with blind trust and did not bother to do my homework. This time though I intend to spend a lot of energy and time personally on this project, I have already gone and met Mr UBS while I was on a trip to cal. He was extremely helpful . With help from all of you i am confident I should be able to do a good job on this.
BTW I spoke to the mechanic he says rebuilding the engine will cost me about 20,000. Is that a reasonable estimate?
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Hi whitemm550,
Glad to hear that you got yourself a 4x4!

Those esteem seats were sourced from Karol Bagh, Delhi many years back, and I would expect that they are easy to find in Delhi. Any large car upholstery shop should be able to get a set of good seats.

Regards,
Is it possible to upgrade the quality of the rear bench-type of seats in the jeep? I mean to make them more comfortable retaining the bench configurations. Actually whatever bench seats I have seen in the jeeps are the basic as in stock conditions. Will Karol bagh be of any help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks