Old 11th June 2008, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Front Wheel Drive Lock vs Diff-Lock

Hi Sir Alec,

Nice picture from the manual; from that picture

X- Main gearbox Lever
Y- Transfer Case Lever
Z- Front Wheel Drive Lock Lever i.e Free-Wheeling Hubs

Normally if single axle diff-locks are to be used then the rear axle is locked & loaded.

I think you are confused between free wheeling Hub-Lock and Diff-Lock.

Regards,

Arka
Old 11th June 2008, 12:36   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

SIR ALEC!!!
You are a lucky man!
This is a Fantastic LR Series 3
Superb!
Funny I just received the DVD Landrovers which I had ordered a couple of weeks ago from the UK. And just last night I was watching it - there is a section devoted to this particular beast! I think it came in wheelbase 90 and 108/110 for carrying more stuff.
Lovely!!
I think after this, they made the Light Armoured Truck as well - as per that DVD!
Enjoy your inheritance and let us other Landry enthusiasts eat our hearts out with envy!
And if you want to buy that particular DVD - go onto the website sendit.com and you can order it using your credit card.
Cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th June 2008 at 12:38.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sir Alec,

Nice picture from the manual; from that picture

X- Main gearbox Lever
Y- Transfer Case Lever
Z- Front Wheel Drive Lock Lever i.e Free-Wheeling Hubs

Normally if single axle diff-locks are to be used then the rear axle is locked & loaded.

I think you are confused between free wheeling Hub-Lock and Diff-Lock.

Regards,

Arka
No not confused! As i repair myself as well. Will demo you, i have an extra transmission lying in garage. Will send you the operation manual too sometime later, it a 110mb scanned pdf.
Well all in all i am not an engineer though, in practicality when you depress yellow in mud or slug, power is taken off the wheel that looses traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
SIR ALEC!!!
You are a lucky man!
This is a Fantastic LR Series 3
Superb!
Funny I just received the DVD Landrovers which I had ordered a couple of weeks ago from the UK. And just last night I was watching it - there is a section devoted to this particular beast!
Lovely!!
I think after this, they made the Light Armoured Truck as well - as per that DVD!
Enjoy your inheritance and let us other Landry enthusiasts eat our hearts out with envy!
Cheers
Thanks!
may i know the DVD title, anyting related to LR, i collect.
thanks again

Last edited by SirAlec : 11th June 2008 at 12:45.
Old 11th June 2008, 16:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

SirAlec, its sturdy tank. Reminds me of the African Safari videos....
Old 11th June 2008, 16:22   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Try a simple test, place jacks (in a way they tip over easily when the car moves forward) to lift both front and rear right wheels into the air. Technically with diff locks disengaged the car should be unable to move whether its in 4wd or 2wd. Now with either the front or the rear diff lock engaged it should move forward
Old 11th June 2008, 19:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

haven't tried but knew the trick.
you don't need to lift front and rear, just jack up the front, use a stone or something at rear tyre, engage the difflock, Try and spin the wheel that is up in the air. It should not spin if the diff lock with engaged.
we can try the same with rear tyre, but if front works the rear will work as well.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:33   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

SirAlec the link you posted is very informative. There's a wonderful writeup about your series. Apparently they were lightened specifically to be airlifted with choppers and transported. Very interesting!

I should also think that being lighter your vehicle would be more effective offroad compared to the standard LR, provided the engine is the same

Last edited by DKG : 11th June 2008 at 21:35.
Old 11th June 2008, 22:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

yeah! but during monsoon we add the hard top. It has very neat looking soft top.
yeah it has the same engine, but a different GB.

you know we had a mahindra voyager once, when it fell sideway in a nala, we used this with bags of cement attached to bonnet and rear, to pull it out. so you can imagine the power.
Old 11th June 2008, 22:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Very nice LR, Sir Alec. How come 2 diff regn numbers on the front?
It says "Paschim Bengal" followed by the numbers
Old 12th June 2008, 09:59   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Sure Man
I also like to collect things to do with Landrover - all time favourite marque. However, unlike you who has the real thing,I only own scale models at the moment and some other oddments and small time memorabilia collected over the years.
I wish I could also one day own a Defender 90 (Wolf) - I would love to realize that dream.

The DVD is called LANDROVERS
DVD Format Region 2 (UK)
Cat No 94044 Delta Music Plc
I bought it via Sendit.com - Buy DVDs, Games & Electronics - FREE UK & Ireland Delivery
Cost about 5GBP plus shipping by Royal Mail. about 9-10 gbp landed cost door delivery india
You can check that website- they ve got a few other interesting Landrover titles like The Best of British - Land Rover, The essential guide to off roading from Land Rover, The History of Land Rover etc etc

also check Amazon - you can get some great Landry stuff like the original Chilton's Manual and all that!

also you may want to check the website - The Dunsfold Collection - the worlds largest collection of land rovers! Dunsfold Land Rover Collection

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Thanks!
may i know the DVD title, anyting related to LR, i collect.
thanks again

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th June 2008 at 10:05.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sure Man
I also like to collect things to do with Landrover - all time favourite marque. However, unlike you who has the real thing,I only own scale models at the moment and some other oddments and small time memorabilia collected over the years.
I wish I could also one day own a Defender 90 (Wolf) - I would love to realize that dream.

The DVD is called LANDROVERS
DVD Format Region 2 (UK)
Cat No 94044 Delta Music Plc
I bought it via Sendit.com - Buy DVDs, Games & Electronics - FREE UK & Ireland Delivery
Cost about 5GBP plus shipping by Royal Mail. about 9-10 gbp landed cost door delivery india
You can check that website- they ve got a few other interesting Landrover titles like The Best of British - Land Rover, The essential guide to off roading from Land Rover, The History of Land Rover etc etc

also check Amazon - you can get some great Landry stuff like the original Chilton's Manual and all that!

also you may want to check the website - The Dunsfold Collection - the worlds largest collection of land rovers! Dunsfold Land Rover Collection

Have fun!
Thanks for the info. You may be able to own defender, TATA has plans to make it right here.

Dunsfold collection is one of largest, have you checked there unpainted, polished alumunium model. Its one of a kind.
Old 12th June 2008, 23:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I thought the new 110 came in both swb and lwb? What series is the Defender, is that not a 110?

A lot of us have heard and so much about Landrovers. Perhaps you could give us a short history of the marque with different models and important technical improvements. Coupled with pictures of your car it would make for great reading
As far as I know, the 90, 110 and 130 all denote wheelbase in inches.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:31   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
As far as I know, the 90, 110 and 130 all denote wheelbase in inches.
Makes sense. So the Defender is on the 90 inch wheelbase?
Old 13th June 2008, 17:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

All three though the 130 is relatively rare. I use my partners 110 fairly often. Incredible off roader.

Last edited by jyobeb : 13th June 2008 at 17:49.
Old 13th June 2008, 17:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Makes sense. So the Defender is on the 90 inch wheelbase?
The present defender comes in 3 door 90, and 5 door 110 configuration in civilian use.

Also offered are soft top option on the 90, and pickup option on both wheelbases.

The commercial and army Defenders come in different body combinations on both long and short wheelbases.

As for the series models,

Series I was offered in 80, 86, 88, 107, and 109

Series II, IIA and III came in 88 and 109 inch.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by islero : 13th June 2008 at 17:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks