Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 12:15   #76
BHPian

well guys...

"Machaan, we need to carry some cooks and staff for the function. why don you send it along. Also, we can use it to transport stuff till the function is over"

"babu, your uncle needs it for the village/(some useless) elections, why dont you send it along."

"Boss, why dont we use the jeep to take the pocession for ganesh nimarjan"

"The tata Ace got stuck somewhere, meanwhile can we carry the sand and cement bags to the site"

"saar, car parking 20Rs saar, this jeep 8 to 10 peoples can sit no saar, so 30Rs saar"
These are just some of the things that made me decide to do something to seal the back. I know it is capable of all these things and was designed to do such things. But for me, its more than a car.
Basically i love the way it is right now. i am making more enemies in the family and street because i say 'NO' to all such requests.

I was trying to collect views/opinions/suggestions from fellow members on this thing. I shall keep it the way it is. Probably i have to get a sticker that keeps all such requests away.

Thank you all.
Krishna.
Old 6th September 2008, 14:18   #77
BHPian

Krishna,

Had a similar issue with my Gypsy. Requestes dropped once I replaced the the two rear bench seats with a single seat (a la Khan Sultan). You may want to consider that as it reduces tha load carrying capacity of the vehicle tremendously. And reduces the requests of the guys who assume all vehicles of this class are mini trucks!

Last edited by rmonie : 6th September 2008 at 14:26.
Old 8th September 2008, 18:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
I even thought of getting a full softtop, 8000Rs was the quoted price.
Krishna.
Kitty,

Please don't do that! I am planning to remove my soft top and make it convertible like Vaspro has done!! Your jeep also looks very cool! So think about it!
Old 8th September 2008, 19:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

guys stick to soft tops.....bikini tops dont look good on MMs, otherwise you can roll up the sides of the soft top!
Old 8th September 2008, 23:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
guys stick to soft tops.....bikini tops dont look good on MMs, otherwise you can roll up the sides of the soft top!
hmm yes pram probably the sides of the tops will be a good idea. I think bikini tops with nicely made roll cages and a huge alloy wheel with a good tyre behind on the door would look good too! Anyways that depends on each individuals taste! but the plastic/fiber molding on the rear! sucks.
Old 9th September 2008, 00:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
hmm yes pram probably the sides of the tops will be a good idea. I think bikini tops with nicely made roll cages and a huge alloy wheel with a good tyre behind on the door would look good too! Anyways that depends on each individuals taste! but the plastic/fiber molding on the rear! sucks.
thats a stupid idea to cover the rear area with whatever!

cheers:
Old 9th September 2008, 01:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

You have one of the best Mahindra Jeeps I have seen. Please do not spoil it with one of those silly looking hardtops. It spoils the look of the Jeep and detracts from what is a great looking vehicle.

A full hardtop can still look ok if done properly but those half hard tops are 100% disgusting.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
well,
As promised in my intro, here are the details of my jeep

Mint MM550 XD
XD3P engine (73/76 bhp)
4 wheel drive, single lever shift
4 gear Fwd + 1 reverse
Front free wheeling hubs
Limited Slip Differential
Steering stabilizer (shock absorber to one of the rods)
Front Disk brakes
16" Sand Grip sand & highway tires

--- all the above are company fitted ---
not sure of the tires though.

Hi,
Can you elaborate on the shock absorber attached to the steering system. I am assuming it to work like a steering damper on bike. It'll be a great mod on 550 which has some serious wobbling issues. Can you please post some pics with a clear view of this. Also if someone else can throw light on how this mod to be carried on a normal 550, i'll be greatful.

cheers
vishwas
Old 10th September 2008, 10:43   #84
BHPian

vishwas,
Quote:
I am assuming it to work like a steering damper on bike. It'll be a great mod on 550 which has some serious wobbling issues
Name:  shock.jpg
Views: 3534
Size:  24.6 KB
see the right side image here. I think the purpose is to dampen the wobbling. I have seen this setup company fitted in the recent mahindra pickups in the left. So, check with your garage. It can be done easily.

Krishna
Old 10th September 2008, 14:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

you mean to say this one?
Attached Thumbnails
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-img_0124.jpg  

Old 10th September 2008, 20:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
vishwas,
Attachment 47510
see the right side image here. I think the purpose is to dampen the wobbling. I have seen this setup company fitted in the recent mahindra pickups in the left. So, check with your garage. It can be done easily.

Krishna
@ kittigadu - Yes that is what I meant and i had noticed that picture before also. If it's coming factory fitted now then it will not be an issue to get it done. But still if you could post some pics of how and where the shock absorber is mounted on both sides it will be great

@ parm - Is it a bolt on mod on old 550's or some modification has to be done. Considering its a mahindra, cost of mod will be definitely affordable I am assuming.

cheers
vishwas

cheers
vishwas
Old 11th September 2008, 19:31   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Kitty,

Please don't do that! I am planning to remove my soft top and make it convertible like Vaspro has done!! Your jeep also looks very cool! So think about it!
Hi Guys,

Felt like sharing few pictures of my Jeep without rear softtop. I clicked these in the afternoon just after it was washed and greased. So this is how a MM540 with bikini top and rolecage will look like
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-11092008016.jpg
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-11092008017.jpg
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-11092008018.jpg
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-11092008019.jpg

Cheers!
Vaspro
Old 11th September 2008, 20:34   #88
BHPian

vaspro,
can you share more info on those tyres.
Are they 15" wheels. What would be the price of each tyre. Are they available in bangalore or imports.
How do they perform on mud and slush.

Also, where did you get that rear fender flares. They look different. I have been going around the india garage spares&parts dept for almost a month now and the disco is still going on. They give me major's wheel arch which are plane (without the curve) till the end of its length. They dont have the curve on them. I said the mm540 has a curve as shown. I have taken this photo to show them. They take a look and reluctantly shoo me off saying that this is major and its parts are not available. I just want to take a gun along the next time.

My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-bhp_fender.jpg

krishna.
Old 11th September 2008, 22:51   #89
BHPian

Sorry,
a small edit,
Quote:
They take a look and reluctantly shoo me off saying that this is major and its parts are not available
They take a look and reluctantly shoo me off saying that this is legend and its parts are not available

krishna.
Old 12th September 2008, 06:52   #90
BHPian

Quote:
vaspro,
can you share more info on those tyres.
Are they 15" wheels. What would be the price of each tyre. Are they available in bangalore or imports.
How do they perform on mud and slush.

Those tyres are Yokohama Geolander A/T 31X10.5 inch. Yes it is 15" alloy wheels. Here is the link where you can find more info Yokohama
Coming to performance in Mud/Slush, its second to NDMS and no doubts about it. However its a good overall performer. City/Highway driving, Rocks and Sand it takes everything. Ride is not bouncy but very comfortable.

Coming to cost, the set which is on this Jeep is imported. There are dealers in Bangalore who can get this. I saw Geolander posters at the Hottracks shop in Residency road (near Richmond Circle flyover). I got to know each tyre would cost Approx ~10K. But i am not sure, need to check with my friend.

Quote:
Also, where did you get that rear fender flares. They look different. I have been going around the india garage spares&parts dept for almost a month now and the disco is still going on. They give me major's wheel arch which are plane (without the curve) till the end of its length. They dont have the curve on them. I said the mm540 has a curve as shown. I have taken this photo to show them. They take a look and reluctantly shoo me off saying that this is major and its parts are not available. I just want to take a gun along the next time.

krishna.
Welcome to the world of fabrication.... Fender flares on my Jeep are custom made. My friend went through the same disco several times, not only with Mahindra but also with some fabricators. If i remember correctly, he finally got these flares fabricated in Trichy with the help of another Jeeper. I will try to get contact details where he got these done. Asking the Mahindra dealers (that to in Bangalore) is futile.

Cheers!
-Vaspro

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks