Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 20:10   #31
BHPian

Actully i'll tell you a little secret, those tires you see on the rear axle are actually worn down re-threaded ones, and they came as is in an Army RCL jeep that a friend bought. If i had bought new 6.00x16 NDMS tires, my folks would never let me buy the 7.00x16 tires if and when i found them, so i decided i'll keep it this way until i found them. That trailer on the background has 13 tires in it, 5 are 50% 255/65x15 tires, 5 are 25% 215/75x16 bolero tires and 3 are fully word down/cracked military tires with their rims.
Yes the seats are original, and so is everything else, except that Gun-Rack, which is a locally made unit. I do have an original WW2 gun-rack(and also the original big black single speedo unit) too but i just didn't use it as there are too many people(many of them relatives who i cannot refuse), who own WW2 jeeps and want the Gunrack as its pretty hard to come by in this area. They ask me for the rack, wanting to enchange it with a locally made unit just like the one on the jeep. They say an original WW2 gunrack has no business in my jeep. Well, maybe they should know better.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:10   #32
BHPian

1> It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand.lol
2> My jeep clocks about 85kph to 95kph on road with those tires.
3> They appear to be so, but run fine.
cheers
jammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Wonder what these guys want to prove. Do these vehicles even move? In fact in this instance the two tyres are pointing in two different directions.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Look at the tyres on this one... they are 31x10.5 I think.
They are on road tyres 235/75s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
no fun without gypsy king.....pre-king gypsy was underpowered with 1000cc engine......not much of fun!
stick to king!
Not necessarily, the gypsies too perform well off road. Infact they have a good low end torque! King or regular is based on the budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishu49 View Post
Hi, I intend to buy a 1991 Gypsy for Rs. 80K & seek your opinion. It is Army auctioned jeep transfered locally & being sold now by the reseller. The vehicle has authorized GAS conversion kit fitted & have good chassis & engine condition but poor paint & tyre conditions. I intend to fit 290 wide baloon tyre with two tone paint & other modifications. Seek your suggestions / tips.
Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
1> It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand.lol
2> My jeep clocks about 85kph to 95kph on road with those tires.
3> They appear to be so, but run fine.
cheers
jammy
Jammy, what jeep is this you are talking about that does a true 90kph? How are the brakes!
Old 1st October 2008, 18:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

MG410W is good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
no fun without gypsy king.....pre-king gypsy was underpowered with 1000cc engine......not much of fun!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...Not necessarily, the gypsies too perform well off road. Infact they have a good low end torque!...
I agree with headers ...the low-end torque of the MG410W is good enough for most off-roading situations. The additional power and torque in the King will make a difference if you want to have 3-4 adults as passengers when climbing up steep inclines or when going on sand : in these situations, the 410W may not be able to pull, and may stall earlier than the King does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...... King or regular is based on the budget!...
And also availability...when I wanted to quickly buy a Gypsy (preferably King), there were not many Kings available in the market, only 410Ws were available.
Old 1st March 2010, 13:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used gypsy - Things to check!

I've read thru most of the threads on gypsy to understand what it takes to own a used one. There is lots of scattered information around threads on little things to check when buying a used gypsy. Can we list information on a single thread? Can the guru's list the various things to check around:
1. Bodyline
2. Engine
3. Mechanicals/Electricals
4. Anything specific in case its an ex-army restore
5. Paperwork
6. What part of the deal to be expected out of the owner (2 keys, NOC etc)
Thanks.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:33   #36
BHPian

Tyres: The most important thing is the tyres, it tell the whole story that how the vehicle is used.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

in case of an ex-army restore, one need to check if all the parts are present.

Pramod
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Dude, what i would say is dont be too stringent, sometimes we have to make compromises. I had my vehicle from a dealer. He brought the vehicle to my place, i test drove it and finalised a price for it. Gave him part payment and also details to get the transfer done. He had the original docs in place but only 1 set of keys. Till date i havent been to his dealership but he had placed the advt in carwale hence thought was genuine enough. he took 2 weeks to get the papers ready and then i paid him the remaining amount and he also gave a receipt of all the money.

What i shall do is change the locks first thing. Rest all if the faith when it comes to getting a vehicle from a dealer. You never know. just sharing my experience.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

What about paperwork? Shouldn't the seller provide the NOC etc? The seller i'm talking to in chennai says he wont get me the NOC but will only put me in touch with an agent who can. Sounds funnny to me. Not that i've ever bought a used vehicle before but how am'i expected to get the NOC sitting in Pune? I wont be staying in chennai till the NOC comes!
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
... Shouldn't the seller provide the NOC etc? The seller i'm talking to in chennai says he wont get me the NOC but will only put me in touch with an agent who can...
STAY AWAY from such deals. Can become a nightmare.
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
STAY AWAY from such deals. Can become a nightmare.
Thanks. Not pursuing this one any more. But is the seller supposed to provide the NOC?
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nilesh5417 your purpose might be solved by the answers here, but i always wanted to start a similar thread. The intention was to have a PDI specifically for gypsis.

Gypsy was a vehicle which was put through extensive mods during 1995 - 2010. During 1995 i used to see a lot of gypsis with esteem front and named as Grand Vitaras. I also once saw a complete zen on gypsy chasis.

This is one vehicle which has seen countless diesel conversions. And a lot of 4 wheel to 2 wheel conversions.

Lets use this thread to build a comprehensive list to check each part. which will help noobs like me who have no clue what 4 h and 4 l means.

This would reduce our chances of ending up with lemons.

Pramod
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

@promod - actually i started this thread exactly for the reason you mentioned. Its not for my one off case. Any one who is trying to get into the 4x4 club probably goes thru it all. Either by reading and posing questions or if he is lucky, by meeting the ones who know. There are lots of threads on "what after i buy" but none that gives you enough checkpoints on what to check before you lay down that money.

Hope this thread can hold the collective wisdom of those who know or those have already experienced the pain.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:13   #44
BHPian

I have owned my Gypsy King for the last 14 years and can share some of my personal experiences which everyone which may also prove handy when looking for a second hand vehicle:
  1. The engine should be sound - mine was a Carb Gypsy King and the only trouble I had was that the carb needed cleaning once or twice a year depending on usage. MPFI vehicle should be run through a diagnostic test at MASS for engine health check.
  2. The Gearbox on Gypsy Kings are bullet proof and rarely go wrong. In my Gyspy, after over a lakh kms, only the 1st gear was replace once. Change the GB oil.
  3. The transfer case tends to get stuck sometimes on vehicles which never or rarely had the 4wd engaged. Sometimes just and T-case oil change sorts the problem and sometimes you will have to go to MASS. Not very expensive though if nothing needs replacing.
  4. Diffs are again bullet proof and mine has not been touched yet.
  5. Suspension is cheap and in you need stuff replaced it wont cost a bomb.
  6. Steering bits may be expensive so try the following checks. Pull the steering towards you and then push it inwards, also try shaking it sideways - if it moves, get it checked at MASS as some or all of it may need replacement. Play in the steering can be adjusted so that dosent mean a lot.
  7. The Brake Master cylinder leaks sometimes. Check the reservoir and the master cylinder itself. This can be repaired or replaced. MASS will usually replace it whereas an outside mechanic can repair it. Mine was repaired at 52K kms and is still going strong at over 1lakh kms.
  8. Check the running boards, footwell, rear floor for rust. The area near the wiper blade mounts also tends to get rusty. Although in my personal opinion, if you are getting a good price, bodywork can be sorted out.
  9. Check the front discs for uneven wear. Replacement discs are not as exepnsive as that on cars but can still pinch.
  10. PLEASE WALK AWAY FROM HEAVILY MODDIFIED VEHICLES unless you are an expert and can vouch for the quality of the mods if it suits your taste.
All in all, it depends on what the sellers asking price is and what you are getting in return. In my personal experience, not a lot can go wrong with a gypsy in your engine is running well. Rest can be sorted out (for a price). Although the parts are comparitively cheap but it helps to go to a MASS and get the prices for spare parts like:
  • Steering column & box
  • 1 set of leaf spring and shocker
  • a gear replacement in the gearbox
  • transfer case service
  • brake pads
  • brake disc
  • brake master cyllinder
  • clutch and pressure plate
I am NOT an expert and the above are based on my experience on MY Gyspy. The experiences of other members may vary.

Cheers
Ankit

Last edited by GoSlow : 2nd March 2010 at 16:20.
GoSlow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the start Ankit, hope others would contribute as well.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks