Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:12   #46
BHPian

Since it is related to buying a used Gypsy, I would like to ask some more question regarding other used vehicles as well:

If someone buys a used vehicle after 1st April, will he face any additional issues by RTO regarding BS norms or renewing PUC certificates etc

What are the lists of documents needed?

How to check the condition of 4WD?
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Docs required would be a series of forms (as was provided by the dealer where both the parties sign) and a copy of your drivers license and an address proof like electricity bill or passport or pan card copy.

this is then provided to the RTO where the vehicle is registered (in my case MH-01 that is south mumbai). They will then ok it and pass it on to the RTO for your area (MH-02, north mumbai where i am residing). These papers get checked in the database and then a transfer is made in their log. Also check for the one time tax.

For more info, check this thread.

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - On Buying - How to buy a *USED* Car in India
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2010, 19:31   #48
BHPian

Hey guys,I'm new to team bhp,eventhough i've been going through various threads for past few months as a guest.This is my very first posting on team bhp.

Now getting to the point, i've been given a good offer from a friend of mine, who's planning to sell his gypsy as he's booked an ANHC.He's the second owner of the vehicle.

Mechanical condition and the age of the vehicle is similar to what Sudipto has mentioned in the very first post of this thread.

what puts me off:
Its done about 1.5l kms.
The front drive shaft has been removed for ages.(he's still got it with him).
The insulation on the bonnet is damaged and hence there is some paint cracking on top off the bonnet.
Had used gas for about 4 years few years back and the kit was later removed.

what makes me want to go for it?
Its a GYPSY
The cost of buying.
The general condition of the engine and the other mechanicals.(it's 998cc carb).
This is my third vehicle and would be meant for off road and rough terrain.(not hard core)
I want something to beat the crap out of it.(pun intended)
Planning to modify including a heart change and shackle raise or a full spoa(3-5 inches) after a couple of years.

i've a couple of question's as well:
Is it possible to plonk a 1.3 esteem engine(carb or mpfi), keeping the same 4 speed gear box.

If yes,then should i change the front or rear differentials?

Experts please throw some light.

Kindly excuse for making it this long.
Old 5th March 2010, 22:05   #49

Read the entire flow here about "what to look for this king" .,. i have some odd experience which is like:-
I was riding Safari D2.2 4x4 on corbett's off-tracks wherein we were 6 person in the Safari., saw many gypsies stucked / slippering on muddy terrian. though some of the drivers using all-terrian tyres too. Our safari was balanced as i understand that weight theory works sometimes (specially in mud) but i just thought of a question about King 4x4 functioning and engine power.,. Though i undestand too that Machine is not everything, it needs reasonable hands to drive too.,, but still.,.those drivers who are well-versed with the function of King and are very much experts than us.,. on off-roading.,. how their kings were loosing battle.,. ????
Old 5th March 2010, 23:39   #50
BHPian

Conjon,
Everything depends on what your requirements are for Gypsy like do you:

1) Intend to do long distances
2) Intend to participate in rally with it.
3) Intend is just for weekend car or some offroading.

For 1 and 2, I personally don't recommend doing a Jugaad and then getting stranded in middle of nowhere. Buy some post 2000 decent civilian Mpfi, it will cost you a little bit initially but in long run you will save money and will be much more reliable.

But for option 3, i would say just go ahead if you are getting a decent price for it.
Old 6th March 2010, 08:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
The front drive shaft has been removed for ages.(he's still got it with him).
Is it really such a big problem. I have bought a Gypsy which had it's front propeller shaft removed. I didn't think much of it earlier, but after reading few recent posts, I am worried.

Nitin
Old 6th March 2010, 12:14   #52
BHPian

Amar82,

Thanks mate.Its option 3.
Any words of wisdom regarding an engine swap with a 1.3 esteem engine.
used 1.6l baleno engines are hard to come by.
Old 6th March 2010, 14:23   #53
BHPian

Why do you want to swap esteem engine, go for gypsy 1.3L mpfi engine (cost ~60K)
Old 6th March 2010, 15:37   #54
BHPian

Amar82, is that a brand new engine or a used one for the price you have mentioned?
And where can it be sourced from?
well i always thought that the esteem and gypsy king had the same G13BB engine(SOHC,16 valve mpfi).
Old 7th March 2010, 00:31   #55
BHPian

They are same engine's but ECM is tuned differently and may be there is difference in stroke ratio too, but i am not 100% sure.
Old 7th March 2010, 16:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Conjon- I think your question is more appropriate in the "Need help buying a used gypsy" thread. This thread was propsed to let the gurus put notes on what to look for while buying a used gypsy. Your posts will add great value on the other thread since you are asking advice on whether or not to buy a particular gypsy.
Old 7th March 2010, 18:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
They are same engine's but ECM is tuned differently and may be there is difference in stroke ratio too, but i am not 100% sure.
Esteem engine specifications: 74 x 75.5 (mm) Bore x Stroke
Gypsy engine specifications: ??
Old 8th March 2010, 11:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

@conjon - Thanks for posting on the more appropriate thread.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:27   #59
BHPian

Guys,how about importing the GB and 1.6L engine of Suzuki GV(91-97) from say SE asia for transplanting into the gypsy bay.

Here are some pics of the gypsy, i'm planning to buy:
Attached Thumbnails
What to look for while buying an old Gypsy-ln-copy.jpg  

What to look for while buying an old Gypsy-copy.jpg  

What to look for while buying an old Gypsy-bn-copy.jpg  

Old 11th March 2010, 10:37   #60
BHPian

conjon - this is a narrow track 1.0L Gypsy. Any reason for choosing the narrow track vehicle over the latter wide track one?

Cheers
Ankit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks