Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 14:32   #106
BHPian

Yes thats what exactly it's sharat. Behram sir I am sticking to stock now. But would love to go for Full floating in the days to come . What can I do for that.
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:43   #107
BHPian

Also if i want to do a full service of my CJ340 what are the things that I need to take care

1) Engine oil and filter change
2) Greasing all the points
3) Checking gearbox and differential oils
4) Checking the brakes
5) Check the clutch.

Can anyone help me in listing out all the things that i need to check in a service.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:34   #108
BHPian

does any body have updates for the same. Please help
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:59   #109
BANNED

6. Wheel alignment.
7. Check suspension
8. Check all electricals.
9. Tightening all screws and bolts.
10. Good Wash.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:40   #110
BHPian

11. Check radiator hose for any leakage.
12. Check fan belt (Replace if worn out)
Old 26th December 2008, 14:08   #111
BHPian

Thanks guys. I hope to get my 340 from the garage this weekend. Waiting eagerly to lay hand on her. :-)
Old 6th January 2009, 11:53   #112
BHPian

hello

I am looking for people who can do soft tops for my Jeep. Do any one know good and reasonable place to do it. And all you guys are free to give me suggestions as to how should the softtop of my red CJ 340 look like.

Pleas keep the suggestions flowing in
Old 6th January 2009, 17:06   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

On a red CJ, a grey colour rag top would look best. It is a pretty basic cut; any competent upholstery chap would be able to make you one. The current set-up on my Jeep is custom....cost should be about Rs. 5,000.
Old 7th January 2009, 16:47   #114
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a place in Bangalore.

And please give me more suggestion. I saw GTOs Jeep and it was looking lovely.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:37   #115
BHPian

Hello All,

I am posting after a long time. I have to share a happy news with all of you. I have completed the mechanical restoration of my jeep. I have done the following

- Fitting the transfer case
- Fitting front differential
- Changed the back differential to support 4x4
- Changed the differential ratios to 5.38:1
- Did the whole wiring once again.
- Did an overhaul of the brakes
- Did the overhaul of suspension
- Steering box was overhauled

It was a fascinating and frustating journey till now but a memorable journey it was. I enjoyed (rather we enjoyed , My brother in law was also very actively involved in this project) each and every moment of the same

I am posting the pictures of her as she looks now

Have to do the following now.

- Fit good set of tyres. Does anyone know where we get chineese tyres in Bangalore. After seeing the experience of trammway on these tyres I have also decided to go for that. My purse has become real light :-)

- Fit a good soft top. I havent got any places in Bangalore where they do a competent job of the same

- Fit the handbrake for the Jeep

Will write about my journey of restoration in detail. Please wait for it.

Regards
Babu
Attached Thumbnails
MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-dsc_0575.jpg  

MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-dsc_0581.jpg  

MM 340 - Doubt for the gurus-dsc_0585.jpg  

Old 9th February 2009, 16:01   #116
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking Jeep, Baburajs ! Congrats on the mechanical restoration. Which axle has been finally fitted at the rear? It looks narrower than normal, or maybe the wheel arch is making it look like that?
Old 10th February 2009, 09:37   #117
BHPian

It was indeed a long journey as we tried to do the short cut way for restoring the Jeep.

Since we didnt have the money to buy all new things we had decided to go for second hand things to restore a jeep. Man i never thought it will be such an exhillarating and tiring. But it was an experience of the life time
As you all know the journey started in Kerala where I bought her . I didnt know much about Jeeps . So bought her without knowing the difficulties in changing her to a 4x4 true blue jeep. drove her down to Bangalore and my search for a competent jeep mechanic ended in Rammurthy nagar . Suresh or JT helped us in zeroing in there.

Before even going to the mechanic we went to gujili and tried to befriend someone there. We met Yaseer who is about 25 year of age and who knows a great deal about jeeps. Also met Mr Itefak who has a wealth of information about jeeps. They told us that we have to do a lot of work in converting the jeep to a 4X4. It was just the starting of our pilgrimage to Gujili. We go there . Talk to these guys. get the the things that we need. Have falooda and tea from the small shops on cycles there . Have a sutta and then back to Rammurthy nagar. These were our routines on all saturdays and sundays. Both our wives were completly distrought with us and almost dails emotional falring used to happen.

After the first meeting we met Yaseer again the next day. Showed him the jeep. He told us that we have to change the gear box, front differential and back differential thats it. He had an armada 4X4 gear box with transfer case (didnt know about all these then) and agreed to swap it with our gear box for some 12 K . Didnt know at that time that this was a steep price. Agreed on that and then we decided we will go and meet Raju from Ram Murthy nagar. Here our real journey starts .........
Old 10th February 2009, 17:01   #118
Senior - BHPian

maybe you should change the title ? one suggestion : "MM340 - doubt for the gurus EDIT : my own CJ340 now" ?
Old 10th February 2009, 17:43   #119
BHPian

Will have to change the topic. I am thinking of a good one.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:09   #120
BHPian

Raju saw the jeep and told us

"It can be done in about 1 week. Nothing much to do actually. "

So happily we went to gujili with him and showed him the Armada gear box that we had seen from Yasir. Also showed him the front differential. Raju was of the opinion that back differential neednt change. So didnt look in to it. Raju was happy with the gear box and gave the verdict that it hasnt run much and all the teeths are in excellent condition.

The next day we went there and get the front differential and the gear box. After reaching rammurthy nagar we talk to Suresh from JT and he advices us to have the differential ratio of the original CJ340. The one we had in the front differential and the back one were not 5.38. So here we go again the next day to get the "petrol pinions" from Yasir. Raju was not at all happy in changing the ratio. He was of the opinion that it will reduce the speed and some other bull ****. But we were sure of what we wanted. Got the crown and pinions and gave it to Raju on Sunday. We were happy that we will get a 4X4 Jeep the next week. Raju also confirmed the same and told he would call us in case of any problems.

When we went to the work shop next week, we knew how wrong we were .....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks