Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:34   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd put the Prado and old-gen Pajero in the extreme category. Trust me, I have seen what a Prado can do. Its got mind-boggling offroad capability.
I've used both Prado and Landcruiser GXR (had one from 98, did 38000 kms) extensively in the desert and wadi's. Along with these two and the Nissan Patrol you have the ultimate, literally unbreakable, offroaders on the planet. Although the Discovery and Range Rovers are quite competant, given the reliability factor the Toyota and Nissan products remain my choice for the ultimate extreme offroaders given their truly awe inspiring abilities.

If you have the option of central, front and rear diff locks then I doubt if any terrain would hinder these brutes

If money is not an issue the Landcruiser truly is one of the finest offroaders you can treat yourself to in my opinion
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:38   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd put the Prado and old-gen Pajero in the extreme category. Trust me, I have seen what a Prado can do. Its got mind-boggling offroad capability.
I don't doubt that. But, from what I have seen both Prado and Pajero have rather long rear overhang compared to the trio I mentioned in extreme offroaders. That might make the owner hesitate to take on the abuse while crossing certain obstacles. My GV recently received a scrape in the back thanks to the rear over hang. No such worry in the extreme trio I mentioned.
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:50   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't doubt that. But, from what I have seen both Prado and Pajero have rather long rear overhang compared to the trio I mentioned in extreme offroaders. That might make the owner hesitate to take on the abuse while crossing certain obstacles. My GV recently received a scrape in the back thanks to the rear over hang. No such worry in the extreme trio I mentioned.
Very true. What most hard core enthusiasts do is to replace the standard plastic bumpers with very short metal ones with skid plates to ease this very problem.
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:54   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Wranglers were loads of fun too in the desert and wadis but if you went too rough on them they tended to buckle just behind the front wheels and often we ended up with dimples in the fenders, result of the chassis bending.
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:27   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Very true. What most hard core enthusiasts do is to replace the standard plastic bumpers with very short metal ones with skid plates to ease this very problem.
Considering we are talking about India, where do you get after-market skid plates? And how many Prado/Pajero owners get it done?

I wish there was an importer who could get 4x4 after-market parts, but I am not aware of any such importer.
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:58   #66
BHPian

well i read the title of this thread and i could'nt help but saying
" they are all with me"

anyways if any enthusiast needs any 4x4 parts i will be more than obliged to get them into the country
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:02   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I believe 95% of 4x4 owners never take their machines offroad worldover. This is the reason softroaders like the RAV4, the CRV etc were created. Even the X5, ML and Cayenne are oriented more for tarmac than grime.

Some owners who would love to take them offroad would face another peculiar problem as I did. The car I bought was a brand new GXR in 98. A 4.5 ltr petrol six she was a magnificent beast. After desert and beach driving I ventured into wadis (dry river beds) and once while negotiating boulders, heard a sharp crunch as the suspension bottomed. Luckily there was no damage but that was it. I simply didn't have the heart to risk damaging a machine I enjoyed so deeply. I realised for serious offroading an expensive SUV can create this problem. The risk of damage and cost of repairs is a huge concern and I'm sure it'll be a deterrant for many an owner.

The best bet really would be an old 4x4 jeep with a big v6 diesel, i guess even a torquey 4 should suffice. Bottomline is in extreme offroading you shouldn't have to worry about damaging your vehicle, as chances are some damage will occur.

Here I tried the TL but it simply doesn't have the juice. The Trax was weird on road, had to fight to keep it in a straight line (something wrong with the particular car I drove? it was at the dealer's lot, a new car) The Gurkha is a bit like the Yeti. Everyone talks about it but you rarely get to see one. I bumped into Prasan Firodia at the Auto Expo stand and he seemed pretty clueless/disinterested in promoting the Gurkha. I wanted to know when the CRDi version would get launched in India

The Safari's and Scorpios at the 7.5+ level were again going to create the problem of expensive 4x4 which you wouldn't risk damaging

Eventually I picked up a 207 pickup as I wanted something cheap which I wouldn't care damaging, something that can be fixed anywhere in India, and is (surprisingly, many people think I've lost it when I say this) actually a lot of fun to drive. I changed the tyres to new Landcruiser radials with the Safari rims, rivetted some chequered sheets onto the bed and really have enjoyed going offroad on dirt roads. Since its configured for load the suspension can take a lot of hammering should you choose to play on rough roads.

Its no 4x4 but its fun. Besides there aren't many places around Hyderabad where you can do mudplugging, most countryside can be accessed in the 207 on existing dirt roads. So its a compromise of sorts but at 4 lacs new onroad this has proved to be great value.

Plus I can use it for my restoration work, shift cement or sand or gardening material or anything I want if needed to my farmhouse..so there it is.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:04   #68
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering we are talking about India, where do you get after-market skid plates? And how many Prado/Pajero owners get it done?
Just get it fabricated Samurai. That's what most guys did in Dubai. This way its better because if you damage it you can go back to the same guy and have it redone quickly.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:14   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
anyways if any enthusiast needs any 4x4 parts i will be more than obliged to get them into the country
That's a tempting offer that many might take-up, you are sure it won't inconvenience you much?

Quote:
I realised for serious offroading an expensive SUV can create this problem. The risk of damage and cost of repairs is a huge concern and I'm sure it'll be a deterrant for many an owner.
This is the same concern that bothers me a lot.

Quote:
The Gurkha is a bit like the Yeti. Everyone talks about it but you rarely get to see one. I bumped into Prasan Firodia at the Auto Expo stand and he seemed pretty clueless/disinterested in promoting the Gurkha. I wanted to know when the CRDi version would get launched in India
Read my Gurkha review for details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-road-too.html

Quote:
Just get it fabricated Samurai. That's what most guys did in Dubai. This way its better because if you damage it you can go back to the same guy and have it redone quickly.
Yes, I am getting it done locally.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The Gurkha is a bit like the Yeti. Everyone talks about it but you rarely get to see one. ...
Good sense of humour you have , DKG.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:40   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Good sense of humour you have , DKG.
Not sure whether the official Yeti® of Team-BHP would appreciate it.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure whether the official Yeti® of Team-BHP would appreciate it.
official Yeti® of Team-BHP ??? I didnt get you, Samurai.
Old 3rd March 2008, 13:15   #73
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the same concern that bothers me a lot.
Burnt clutches, broken suspension bits, body damage and sometimes a roll over are just some of the risks we expose these machines to.

My ultimate extreme offroader would be:

A short chassis 2500 mm and less wheelbase, shouldn't buckle if you drop the car from a height of 10 feet

An engine that pumps out atleast 350 NM at 1500 rpm

Close ratio gearbox (wouldn't want to drop too much momentum as I pull while changing gears) and appropriate diff gearing for load pulling

Diff locks front middle and rear

Winches front and back with tow ropes

Roll cage

Cooler to carry some refreshments

Recaro type seats with more padding and good harness
minimum 275/70 16 tyres

Oh and it help if it looks like its ready to devour mountains standing still!!
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:30   #74
Team-BHP Support

Yummy specs. But I don't think it will ever happen in India. Not until technology becomes available for building customised vehicles upon order.
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:02   #75
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone posted a simple easy to follow guide to Off roading at TBHP? Mainly wrt do's and don'ts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks