Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 11:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Your Gurkha looks fantastic!

Everything you've written about the Gurkha reminds me of my Defender. Except that the Landy doesnt come with front and rear diff locks - you have quite a machine over there.

You need to temper your expectations when you go in for an out-and-out offroader and not expect creature comforts or conveniences. These things will never be practical daily drivers, but will kick some serious butt the moment they are off tarmac. They are special-purpose vehicles and are therefore good second/third cars(trucks) at best.

Once you have come to terms with this, you will definitely agree that it is worth its weight in currency notes.

PS: Please do not try to cross rocky rivers with fast currents on a 2wd!!!! You're lucky nothing more happened to you out there.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th March 2009 at 11:32.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:54   #17
BHPian

WOW... that is some experience you went through.
So it is true then - "You do not own the Gurkha, the Gurkha owns you!"
(Not my words. Don't remember who said/wrote it, but he is on this forum. Let the original poster step forward and claim credit).

First you have to spend a nice chunk of cash to get a Gurkha, then you have to spend a not-so-small amount of time & energy to fix the niggles/poor-workmanship and 'learn' the Gurkha way of life, and then finally the Gurkha grants you its friendship. I don't know about the others, but I would not have had the patience & persistence to go through with all that. It is definitely a totally 'different' ownership experience.

Your Gurkha looks like it means business - has that "don't-mess-with-me" kind of look about it. I am sure you will have many exciting adventures in it.

Cheers.
Old 8th March 2009, 12:25   #18
BHPian

Neat

Rahul nice writeup on the Gurkha. Like Steeroid said you need to get used to these kinds of vehicles,these kinds of vehicles have character,they are not like "cars", if you know what i mean.

I liked the picture where the gurkha is "towering" over the Safari. As some one asked before was the snorkel a part of the original deal or u got it fixed afterwards?
The Trax Gurkha looks like the Mercedes 'G' Class 4x4's, is there a collaboration between Merc and Force?
And I'd suggest you carry alternator belts as spare, these are simple enough to replace.

Congrats once again, i am sure you will have an amazing experience with it
Old 8th March 2009, 13:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dear Rahul,
Congratulations!! Fantastic machine you have got yourself.
It looks very macho and i am sure, these small niggles will be rectified soon.
Once this is done, you have a machine that can take you anywhere, simply anywhere!!
Cheers buddy and keep us posted regularly with your adventures.
Deepak
Old 8th March 2009, 14:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice report there.

Poor 2WD Safari there! It was almost like Sachin Tendulkar having to bat left handed to prove his worth against Brian Lara.
Old 8th March 2009, 18:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Glad that you have overcome your initial apprehensions and are enjoying the Gurkha. This vehicle has so much potential. Wish Force Motors had little more drive to compete in the SUV segment. If they put the CRDI engine and some nice interiors, they would have given Mahindra/Tata a run for their money, atleast with the 4x4 version.
I do not think even that would inspire people to go for it. My experience has been that not all dealers knew about Gurkha and talk to them about OM611 and they would draw a blank. CRDI engine would be out in Tempo Traveller by this April end. One test vehicle is coming to Delhi. I might buy one of that as well. 611 in Trax would though take time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A good report, Rahul! Nice humorous way of putting across your experience.

Gurka surely has a very mean look! With those crash guards and the stance it is taking. The indicators in the front are also interestingly place.

So, did the snorkel come as a standard fitment?

Was shocked seeing the photos of the Safari in such strong currents! Might have been an experience in itself.

And do go ahead and share the OTR experience.
Gurkha has got a very Straight face and does not gives any look of being hypocrite anywhere unlike smiley faces of Tata. This might be the reason of Gurkha looking mean!

Snorkel comes as Standard fitment. In Safari actually we had almost 5" of water and the doors are open so that water can flow out!!

Will be sharing the OTR experience soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Great review my friend.

We need more. Pics, reviews, what you saw, what you ate , where you went,how you got stuck (if you did), how you managed to get out. Tell us everything !!

Please do go on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Rahul nice writeup on the Gurkha and would be good if you startup a thread on your adventures in teh Corbett Park faced twice.

I think it was a great risk you guys had taken by driving the strong currents without a backup vehicle and paid for the wrong judgment, in night you will not be knowing the force of the water and depth and distance between the shores.

Waiting for you to share those experiences in a different thread with the photos.

Now continue writing about the Off Road experience on the Gurkha very eager to see how you would rate performance of the vehicle.
For Corbett would need to make another thread. I do not know where to put it. I always was just searching Mahindra/Gurkha or 4x4 and going to those threads only. I will search or PM one of the Mods to know where to put those kind of threads.

Well when you become Phantom/Superman in heart then head of mortals like us dont work. We were stupid no doubt and also if you remember Safari commercial "Make your OWN Road" had inspired us :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Your Gurkha looks fantastic!

Everything you've written about the Gurkha reminds me of my Defender. Except that the Landy doesnt come with front and rear diff locks - you have quite a machine over there.

You need to temper your expectations when you go in for an out-and-out offroader and not expect creature comforts or conveniences. These things will never be practical daily drivers, but will kick some serious butt the moment they are off tarmac. They are special-purpose vehicles and are therefore good second/third cars(trucks) at best.

Once you have come to terms with this, you will definitely agree that it is worth its weight in currency notes.

PS: Please do not try to cross rocky rivers with fast currents on a 2wd!!!! You're lucky nothing more happened to you out there.
Well I have been Driving Gurkha as my daily drive. I do not like to Drive my Safari or Corolla for that matter now. Perfect vehicle for the roads of Delhi. You do not have to worry about the rickshaw/cyle or bullock carts. in 5 months I have already covered 8000 kms and mind you most of that is local since I do not have the registration number yet. As soon as I get it I would be driving down to Shirdi/Mumbai and Daman.

And yes Bhai I learned my lesson hard way trying to cross river on a 2wd, and guess we are indeed lucky, though we died many times in thoughts tht night, every movement in forest used to kill us with fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
WOW... that is some experience you went through.
So it is true then - "You do not own the Gurkha, the Gurkha owns you!"
(Not my words. Don't remember who said/wrote it, but he is on this forum. Let the original poster step forward and claim credit).

First you have to spend a nice chunk of cash to get a Gurkha, then you have to spend a not-so-small amount of time & energy to fix the niggles/poor-workmanship and 'learn' the Gurkha way of life, and then finally the Gurkha grants you its friendship. I don't know about the others, but I would not have had the patience & persistence to go through with all that. It is definitely a totally 'different' ownership experience.

Your Gurkha looks like it means business - has that "don't-mess-with-me" kind of look about it. I am sure you will have many exciting adventures in it.

Cheers.
It is my comment "You do not own the Gurkha, the Gurkha owns you!" you will find it in both the Gurkha threads. one of Samurai and other in 4x4 forum, and it is true.

I guess I had the patience on virtue of being enfield owner twice and a RD350 owner (my da used to call it queen victoria, as per him the day I would ride it, it would be to take her to mechanic). My brand new RE500 ES also gave me lot of problems in terms of leakage and other things. But once it was set again it was a dream to ride. I hoped for the same in Gurkha and have been proven right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishell View Post
Rahul nice writeup on the Gurkha. Like Steeroid said you need to get used to these kinds of vehicles,these kinds of vehicles have character,they are not like "cars", if you know what i mean.

I liked the picture where the gurkha is "towering" over the Safari. As some one asked before was the snorkel a part of the original deal or u got it fixed afterwards?
The Trax Gurkha looks like the Mercedes 'G' Class 4x4's, is there a collaboration between Merc and Force?
And I'd suggest you carry alternator belts as spare, these are simple enough to replace.

Congrats once again, i am sure you will have an amazing experience with it
Snorkel is original and I have done nothing extra to the vehicle except the Tyres and seat covers. Even bullbar and fog lamps are standard.

Gurkha is copy of G-Wagen. Force had been producing the engines and gearbox for Merc since a long time.
I have been given a list of spares by Dr. Roy which I will be ordering to Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Rahul,
Congratulations!! Fantastic machine you have got yourself.
It looks very macho and i am sure, these small niggles will be rectified soon.
Once this is done, you have a machine that can take you anywhere, simply anywhere!!
Cheers buddy and keep us posted regularly with your adventures.
Deepak
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Nice report there.

Poor 2WD Safari there! It was almost like Sachin Tendulkar having to bat left handed to prove his worth against Brian Lara.
Thanks bhai log. Safari is more like Snob as compared to Gurkha a work horse.

Somebody had asked for Price I am sorry I did not put it up properly, here is the bill:
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-bill-trax.jpg

Now Add 31000 for Insurance and 35000 for Insurance. Add 2000 INR for Temp. registration. So Gurkha on road would be like 8.4 L. I had some some discount over there guess around 30K, was dam too excited at that time to think about these things.

I can tell you one thing no body would buy this vehicle with their brain but with heart!

Now changed the tyres and alloys for 35K (exchanged the original tyres... but none of you shud do that, I was ripped off, they are good tyres and rim). Also spent 20 K in interiors like seat covers, stereo (panasonic-USB), floor mats, film front white lights etc.

I forgot to add:
  1. Gurkha's light are any day better than Safari, I just changed for the color.
  2. Dealers have issues, they do not give you much respect and wont do a thing untill you are after them. I am yet to get my registration numbers, When my temp. number expired I asked them about it they had completly forgotten about applying for the same.
  3. Also my Insurance had Tempo traveller on it rather than Trax. Most careless, and non-commited people I have even seen in vehicle business. They stop to pick up the phones if you persist :(
  4. Force people are comparatively the best. very co-operative and pick up the phones but unfortunately I feel like dealers handle them and not other way round. The two people I am in touch with are very Good.
Today I would be posting the offroading pics and my feelings (Mind you it wont be REPORT as I do not know or have any other bench mark while talking about 4WD)

Last edited by rhandle : 8th March 2009 at 18:18.
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2009, 18:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I do not think even that would inspire people to go for it. My experience has been that not all dealers knew about Gurkha and talk to them about OM611 and they would draw a blank. CRDI engine would be out in Tempo Traveller by this April end. One test vehicle is coming to Delhi. I might buy one of that as well. 611 in Trax would though take time.
Should be no later than 2010, as India goes EuroIV in seven major cities in 2010, all not able to meet the emission norms will not be able to sell in these cities, thats why they are now coming up with TT CRDI in April.

You can write your travel experiences in the travelogue section.
Old 8th March 2009, 18:27   #23
BHPian

Wow Congrats Rahul. Your Gurkha looks mean and macho. Enjoy your offroading adventures and do keep the updates coming in. Cheers.
Old 8th March 2009, 18:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Rahul "Gurkha" looks lovely! seems like a good buy...

But how is it on a long drive, esp when you want to travel with your family?
Old 8th March 2009, 19:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Rahul "Gurkha" looks lovely! seems like a good buy...

But how is it on a long drive, esp when you want to travel with your family?
Now it is lovely. I am talking family, taking my own in view, i.e Hubby+wife+two kids. Perfect no issues. No roll over like in safari. Though only being three door car it irritates at time when your son wud say "SUSU!! stop quickly!" You have to be super quick to open the door, slam the passenger sheet down before there is a rain in your car!

Pot holes, bad roads are things of past. Once I even got down off road to avoid the traffic Jam, it was fun and you can see it in eyes of people stranded in Jam with the dire look in their eyes.

BTW my Dog and cats also love this car as there is plenty of space for them to run around!
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2009, 19:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow man this a perfect tourer!

"Once I even got down off road to avoid the traffic Jam, it was fun and you can see it in eyes of people stranded in Jam with the dire look in their eyes."

This would have been a lot of fun

Now am very tempted to buy this machine

Quote:
Now it is lovely. I am talking family, taking my own in view, i.e Hubby+wife+two kids. Perfect no issues. No roll over like in safari. Though only being three door car it irritates at time when your son wud say "SUSU!! stop quickly!" You have to be super quick to open the door, slam the passenger sheet down before there is a rain in your car!

Pot holes, bad roads are things of past. Once I even got down off road to avoid the traffic Jam, it was fun and you can see it in eyes of people stranded in Jam with the dire look in their eyes.

BTW my Dog and cats also love this car as there is plenty of space for them to run around!
Old 8th March 2009, 21:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice mean machine you got there bro. Definitely its a vehicle to be owned by heart and not by mind but I am sure there would be a day when it could be owned by mind as well. Do post some off roads pictures.
Old 8th March 2009, 21:28   #28
Team-BHP Support

Rahul, great review so far. I read your first post right after you posted, but I was waiting until you finished posting all the items listed in the below mentioned TOC. That hasn't happened yet. I am still wondering why you started the thread with a smiley.

Quote:
To be continued… Coming Next
  1. NVH and driving
  2. Comparison wrt to Safari
  3. ISSUES & Problems ( lot of emotional ones as well!)
  4. Condition as of now
PS: I do not have the writing and presentation skills like that of Samurai and other members, so please bear with me.
Don't worry too much about writing skill, there is nothing to it. The goal is to express your feelings/experiences in a way that readers can relate to it, respond to it. And you have succeeded in it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 00:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noise.... initially I thought it is Good. Good thing because you cannot listen to your wife nags while traveling in this car.

Till first service, Gear changes have to be in spot or the vehicle gets angry and starts growling. I heard they were making it for military so the vehicle is very disciplined, you cannot have your terms with it. You need to go with the vehicle demands.

Again do not know good or bad but the vehicle attracts lots of attention. Once while crossing Nizamuding bridge I was parallel to a guy driving TLC and he was desparate to know about which car was this. Ultimately his passion wore out and he rolled down his windows to search for any identification on the vehicle. I kept looking straight since to roll down my passenger windows to be able to speak to him I would have had had to lie down on the passenger seat to manually pull down the glass ☹.
Rahul that has to be one of the funniest reviews I've read in a long time!

Glad to know you're enjoying riding the Gurkha!
Old 9th March 2009, 01:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. In the middle between the two front seats. Almost missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
Try to look at the seat belt engager once again You'll get it this time
Quote:
Gurkha has manual shift for 4WD. Look again near driver's seat where the seatbelt goes(red color thing) just behind that is the 4wd lever. The Gear lever is in front of diff locks near steering wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks