Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 12:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post

As far as i know the mechanicals/spares are not is good condition in Mayapuri. The Siliguri jeeps are first brought to Panagarh where many Mayapuri dealers have their outlets/shops.They then send them to Mayapuri.On the way they travel through similar places like Panagarh or Mayapuri.As they keep moving the original or better parts keep getting replaced or stolen.Whereas in Siliguri the jeeps are normally found in virgin condition...
So 4x4 based on this would you say that the Siligiri Jeeps are better mechanically and a Engine Rebuild etc are not really required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
now we are talking baby, it looks nice and i think you should retain the army looks it will look killer.
The only issue I have with this is that its getting quite boring with almost everyone going for the Std Army colors. But on the other side the Std Army colors does give it its umph!!
Old 21st May 2009, 00:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
now we are talking baby, it looks nice and i think you should retain the army looks it will look killer.
Thanks Hemanth.We are not planning to keep the same colour as it's not allowed and might lead to problems.Will do a few minor modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
So 4x4 based on this would you say that the Siligiri Jeeps are better mechanically and a Engine Rebuild etc are not really required?
Well...thats what I know and the same is true in my case too.
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:18   #48
BHPian

Mechanicals being done...

Finally the mechanical works started.I had an expectation that being a 98 model jeep the
engine will have to be overhauled even though the meter showed only 15338 kms. Once the
engine was fired there was no smoke visible.The 4 cyl, 2.5 litre, heart XD3P, turned out to
be healthy. Just a good oil flush/change and the pump/nozzles serviced with new diesel
filters used. Ofcourse the water pump,starter motor and alternator needed to be serviced,
but no major spares required.
Attached Thumbnails
One more MM 550 XD !!-engine.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 04:20   #49
BHPian

Brand new tandem master TVS used. The servo unit is in good working condition.
Attached Thumbnails
One more MM 550 XD !!-brand-new-tandem-master-tvs-used.-servo-unit-good-working-condition.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 04:25   #50
BHPian

The gearbox is excellent, only a few bearings and seals (2nd pic) need to be replaced
Attached Thumbnails
One more MM 550 XD !!-gearbox-excellent-only-few-bearings-seals-need-replaced.jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-gear5.jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-gear6.jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-gear3.jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-gear4.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4 loaded : 22nd May 2009 at 04:34.
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:32   #51
BHPian

The single lever 4X4 selection hub. Notice the air vent pipe. ..(Mods, please merge the last three posts with this one)
Attached Thumbnails
One more MM 550 XD !!-gear-single-lever-4x4-selection-hub.-notice-air-vent-pipe..jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 10:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post
The single lever 4X4 selection hub. Notice the air vent pipe. ..(Mods, please merge the last three posts with this one)
Hi 4x4 Loaded,

Good to know you did not have to get your Jeeps engine overhauled, its one of its kind I guess as in most disposal vehicles (Diesels) the engine needs overhauling.

Awaiting the final product.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

@4x4 loaded
This is good news that the engine is not being overhauled. Not only will this save lots of time but also wads of cash too. In my opinion in diesel engines the engine is the biggest money pit which whatever you do does not seem to fill up.

Also not to mention that you are in one of the best hands "UBS sir" in the country.
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi 4x4 Loaded,
Good to know you did not have to get your Jeeps engine overhauled, its one of its kind I guess as in most disposal vehicles (Diesels) the engine needs overhauling....
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@4x4 loaded
This is good news that the engine is not being overhauled. Not only will this save lots of time but also wads of cash too. In my opinion in diesel engines the engine is the biggest money pit which whatever you do does not seem to fill up.
Also not to mention that you are in one of the best hands "UBS sir" in the country.
This is exactly what our concern was however luck was by our side this time. Even the Gear box, transfer case and the differentials were in good condition...just a few bearings and seals had to be changed. And the presence of UBS sir made the restoration work feel like a cakewalk.
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quick question? Does UBS Sir restore for customers as a profession or is it a one off?
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:39   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Quick question? Does UBS Sir restore for customers as a profession or is it a one off?
He started it as a hobby and then it turned out to be a passion and now he is actually doing it for customers.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:54   #57
BHPian

Hi 4x4 loaded nice jeep there you are lucky man i got the same model for nearly double the price the only thing is that the body is in very good condition only for the fenders and grill beaing damaged. the best part is that it too has a working engine and that too no smoke is emmited when it is started keeping my fingers crossed.will be starting the restoration tomorow.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:55   #58
BHPian

correction

A small correction... UBS sir doesnt restore jeeps for everybody. He will do it for people who are real jeep lovers or it can be told as he teaches people how to build a jeep rather than looking for his monetary gain.I have seen him bluntly saying "NO" to somebody when he showed interest to buy UBS sir's jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Hi 4x4 loaded nice jeep ....the best part is that it too has a working engine and that too no smoke is emmited when it is started keeping my fingers crossed.will be starting the restoration tomorow.
Thanks Whicked Wheels...so you have got another one? Congrats man. Is it going to have the same mean looking character like your present one?

Last edited by 4x4 loaded : 23rd May 2009 at 01:08. Reason: Addition of information
Old 25th May 2009, 11:31   #59
BHPian

Hello all,

The mechanical work has been progressing pretty fast.Thanks to UBS sir, he has been paying for all the parts on our behalf whereas he is not taking any fees for this restoration -really great. The KMT90 gearbox completed and fitted with new lever (main gear) and new clutch wire. Also he clutch and pressure plates changed. These pics are of the old one.Note the special clutch plate has two soft springs.

Regards...Saikat
Attached Thumbnails
One more MM 550 XD !!-gear1.jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-gear2.jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-clutch-pressure-plates-changed.-note-special-clutch-plate-has-two-soft-springs..jpg  

One more MM 550 XD !!-clutch.jpg  

Old 25th May 2009, 23:55   #60

Looks solid. Keep on posting some pics of the progress.

Most Viewed