Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 01:55   #16
BHPian

Do not mean to hijack the thread but since its about newbie queries let me put forward a few of my own

1) I plan to buy a used gypsy and use it for mostly tarmac/ jungle trails and in the future for leh/ ladakh trip - Dont plan to use it for out-and-out offroading. Now can a 410W 'comfortably'/ 'effortlessly' make it to leh/ ladakh or is a 413W essential? Because if the vehicle has to pushed/ cajoled/ begged to make it to such altitudes, it would take all the fun out of the trip and driving

2) From what i understand Gypsy does not come with heater and AC - Am i right?

3) Are the stock lamps adequate for normal driving or is it essential to add lamps as we get to see in most of the gypsys.

Cheers
dhiman
Old 12th July 2009, 06:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
1. I understand the car does not have a center diff - that means that the 4x4 mode, whether high or low, cannot be used on good roads/tarmac - correct?
With no center diff, doing that will cause drive train wind up?

Very much correct.

2. Can one shift from 2w to 4wH on the fly, or does one need to come to a halt.

From wide track onwards( post 1994) the front differentials are permanently locked (no differential lock) and its "shift on fly" with normal speeds from 2H to 4H

3. I am sure that shifting from 4wH to 4wL can be only done with the car at standstill.

Yes you can be 100% sure

4. If the getting out and locking the wheel stuff has been done away with, what advantages, if any, have been lost?

If you have the stuff called differential locks in your machine, you have to get out of your gypsy and lock the front hub before you land in a situation requiring 4WD action

Advantage of having diff. locks- the vehicle will be more fuel efficient in 2WD mode with the front differentials unlocked . Top speed will also increase marginally.
Thank you for the quick and precise responses, now I think I have figured out the engineering logic of the wheel locks as well. It now seems to be a great buy for the price - even the new one to be honest, if one want to keep it for a decade or so. The center diff would have been a good add, but would add a lot to the price and impact reliability as an extra opportunity for something to fail. Besides, there is not that much benefit that an all time 4wd mode provides, certainly not at the speeds and the basic handling capability of the Gypsy.
Thanks again.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Free wheeling hubs are very different from Differential locks. Free wheeling hubs are fixed to the wheels to disengage the wheels from the drive shafts when 4WD is not necessary.
Diff locks are a wholly different ballgame.
Old 13th July 2009, 00:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Free wheeling hubs are very different from Differential locks. Free wheeling hubs are fixed to the wheels to disengage the wheels from the drive shafts when 4WD is not necessary.
Diff locks are a wholly different ballgame.
I stand corrected.

Differential locks are entirely different than hub locks( free wheeling hubs) discussed here

Differential locks ensures 25% engine power on each wheel irrespective of traction on wheel.

Hub locks are meant to engage the wheel with the axle.

Sorry for the misleading terminology
Old 13th July 2009, 02:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
Do not mean to hijack the thread but since its about newbie queries let me put forward a few of my own

1) I plan to buy a used gypsy and use it for mostly tarmac/ jungle trails and in the future for leh/ ladakh trip - Dont plan to use it for out-and-out offroading. Now can a 410W 'comfortably'/ 'effortlessly' make it to leh/ ladakh or is a 413W essential? Because if the vehicle has to pushed/ cajoled/ begged to make it to such altitudes, it would take all the fun out of the trip and driving

3) Are the stock lamps adequate for normal driving or is it essential to add lamps as we get to see in most of the gypsys.

Cheers
dhiman
^^ Gurus please answer my queries
Old 13th July 2009, 04:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Yes both can reach leh comfortably, but MPFI 1.3 will perform better in high altitude and will give you more driving pleasure(more power).

Quote:
Yes, its a custom install, there is lot of info on this site for the same.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-gypsy-1.html

Quote:
Additional headlamps are always helpful but stock lamps if almost new should be ok for normal driving.

Cheers
Amar
Old 21st July 2009, 21:25   #22
BANNED

gypsy for sale

Hi people,

I saw a gypsy which was for sale in chennai.If any of you are looking out for one pls PM me.

Its not mine and dont know who is selling it ,itstood by the road with for sale sticker on it
Old 16th September 2009, 18:19   #23
BHPian

Hi Team,

I am a newbie myself and sorry If I posted my query in here. I acquired a Ex-Army,1991 MG410 two months ago. happy to be a part of this team.

It would be great if Guru`s help me out .
When I change the drive to 4*4, the vehicle moves but i have a feeling as though the wheels are jammed and the vehicle moves with great difficulty. My gypsy has hublocks and I lock\unlock when I change to 2\4 wheel drives. I do not have any such running problem when in 2 wheel drive.

Regards

Moderator's Note: Please desist from typing your post in an external editor or a word-processing program. We expect members to type their posts here directly. If at all you must please only use an ASCII text editor like Notepad.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bob, slight feeling of hardness is normal (especially if you are driving a 4x4 for first time). However, best option is to visit a MASS and get this checked for complete peace of mind.

PS: BTW, Congrats on your MG410.!!!
Old 16th September 2009, 21:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Bob, slight feeling of hardness is normal (especially if you are driving a 4x4 for first time).
....especially if you are a young man.....

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th September 2009 at 21:10.
Old 17th September 2009, 02:05   #26
BHPian

Living upto thy name I see!
Old 17th September 2009, 08:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Bob, slight feeling of hardness is normal (especially if you are driving a 4x4 for first time). However, best option is to visit a MASS and get this checked for complete peace of mind.

PS: BTW, Congrats on your MG410.!!!

Thanks Khan Sir....
I shall take her to MASS this weekend.
Regards

Dear DirtyDan : Sure I am, just 10 years older to my Gypsy
&
Fiery Enzyme : Going to name my gypsy The "Bomb" which offcourse is me i.e Bob just wihout an "M".
(Moderators : Sorry if I am offtopic)

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th September 2009 at 09:54. Reason: back to back posts, use multi quote please.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Selva View Post
Hi Team,

I am a newbie myself and sorry If I posted my query in here. I acquired a Ex-Army,1991 MG410 two months ago. happy to be a part of this team.

It would be great if Guru`s help me out .
When I change the drive to 4*4, the vehicle moves but i have a feeling as though the wheels are jammed and the vehicle moves with great difficulty. My gypsy has hublocks and I lock\unlock when I change to 2\4 wheel drives. I do not have any such running problem when in 2 wheel drive.

Regards
Hey Bob

First off congrats on your 410 and welcome to the 4X4 family!!!

As for the vehicle tightness, do drop by at the OTR this Sunday, you can ask some other Gypsy owners and even test drive them to find out for yourself.
The thread for the OTR - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...mber-09-a.html
Am sure you will get a treasure trove of knowledge regarding the Gypsy from one and all there.

Cheers
GB
Old 17th September 2009, 18:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Hey Bob

First off congrats on your 410 and welcome to the 4X4 family!!!

As for the vehicle tightness, do drop by at the OTR this Sunday, you can ask some other Gypsy owners and even test drive them to find out for yourself.
The thread for the OTR - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...mber-09-a.html
Am sure you will get a treasure trove of knowledge regarding the Gypsy from one and all there.

Cheers
GB
Thansk GB,
Unfortunately am out of Bangalore this weekend due to official commitments.Would have loved to be there, But for sure join the next OTR without fail.
Regards
Bob
Old 25th September 2009, 22:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
1. I understand the car does not have a center diff - that means that the 4x4 mode, whether high or low, cannot be used on good roads/tarmac - correct?
With no center diff, doing that will cause drive train wind up?

Very much correct.
I once spoke to a Gypsy driver from the Raid-De-Himalaya, he told me that they do all the compitative stages on 4x4 mode, a lot of which is tarmac and really fast. I wonder how they do it if the Gypsy dose not have a center diffrential ? Or may be the rally ones have a center diff installed ?

Most Viewed