Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 13:22   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharakan9 View Post
You have raised a very important question. I need to draw the pictures to make you understand this. I am travelling right now and in no position to draw the picture now (I must confess that i am not good in drawing using the computer).

But inorder to understand a central differntial. One must know the differance between 4x4, 4WD and AWD.

4x4 - This stands for part time four wheel drive(The vehicle should have only 4 wheels and all the 4 wheels will be powered). This kind of arrangement is seen in gypsies and M&M (and there are a lot of others too). These vehicles are not build to use four wheel drive on hard surfaces like paved roads. I will explain the reasons with the pictures in a few days.

4WD - In this case, the number of wheels on the vehicle can be more than four, say 6 (in the case of multi-axle trucks). Here the rear 2 sets of wheels are powered by the engine but the front wheels are not. All the wheels will not be powered at the same time

AWD- All wheel drive or all-time four wheel drive. In this case the vehicle is always in four wheel drive mode. These vehicles are able to be driven on paved road in four wheel drive mode. This is made possible because of central differential.

The central differential is a differantial gear provided between the front wheel drive shaft and the rear wheel drive shaft. This can be further be explained only with the help of diagrams. I will explain it with diagrams as soon as possible.

I am not sure but i belive the montero and the new GV has this arrangement. GV and montero owners can help us on this.

There is one more point to be noted. The installation is the central differential is a costly process and most of the vehicles dont have the full working of the central differential (eg. while braking).

I am sure that citoren BX 4x4 had this entire arrangement.
Tharakan, you are an encyclopedia on gypsy thanks for those informations. I was also wondering what stop us from using 4x4 of gypsy on the normal tarmac? But still wondering if this is the case what excatly is the function of the front differential? Only to transfer to the power in right angle directon..?
Old 10th December 2009, 15:05   #47
BHPian

I am sorry for the delay. i just got back a few hours ago. I will post the explanation with the pictures soon.

@anil

I am coming to cochin on the 14th that is monday. I will drop in to see you on my way if you are free.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:02   #48
BHPian

Thankaran. nice to know differnece between 4x4, 4WD and AWD. It's good to have person like you on board.
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Noob Alert.!
My first post in this section.

Guys i just came back from Corbett few days ago and while we were there me and my friends fell in love with the Gypsy we used for the jungle safari.
Now my friend is really interested in buying one but we have no idea how to go about it.
Ill give you a rough idea and hope the Gurus will guide us in the right direction.

Since his daily usage will be high a diesel Gypsy would be more feasible.
4x4 will be preferred but if we get a good deal/car without the 4x4 option then that's fine too.
His budget is around 1.5 L.
Not really interested in modding it ,just some cosmetic stuff.

Some info about the make/model/specs/price/place would be appreciated.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Noob Alert.!
My first post in this section.

Guys i just came back from Corbett few days ago and while we were there me and my friends fell in love with the Gypsy we used for the jungle safari.
Now my friend is really interested in buying one but we have no idea how to go about it.
Ill give you a rough idea and hope the Gurus will guide us in the right direction.

Since his daily usage will be high a diesel Gypsy would be more feasible.
4x4 will be preferred but if we get a good deal/car without the 4x4 option then that's fine too.
His budget is around 1.5 L.
Not really interested in modding it ,just some cosmetic stuff.

Some info about the make/model/specs/price/place would be appreciated.
Welcome to the 4x4 section
I hope that you know that the Gypsy doesn't come with a factory fitted diesel option. All that you see are jugads and some of them work quite well.
The top of my mind is Ankit's (goslow on bhp though he doesnt drive slow atall ;-)))) now the original 5 speed gearbox and the 4x4 is mated with a NISSAN 1.7 diesel, am I am happy to say is quite capable and doesn't sound like a diesel and sound like a badly tuned petrol engine. I have driven his vehicle quite substantially on and off-road.
He is a regular at OTR's and his vehicle is quite a performer. You can go through his thread for the diesel option and get in touch with him.

For maybe keeping it as petrol, this is what my advise would be, there are loads of options. the FE is also not quite bad 10-11 I guess sounds good enough. Go through the thread and you would find loads of answers

Last edited by harjeev : 3rd January 2010 at 20:10.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply.
I did go through his thread and it seems that getting the car insured/RC endorsed would be a problem plus i don't think my friend would take the responsibility/risk of an engine swap.
If the petrol gives an avrg of around 10-12 then that's fine, he is a sedate driver.
What make/model/condition can we get for 1.5 L ? Is Mayapuri the only place where we should search ? Any recommendations ?
Old 4th January 2010, 12:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I did go through his thread and it seems that getting the car insured/RC endorsed would be a problem plus i don't think my friend would take the responsibility/risk of an engine swap.
If the petrol gives an avrg of around 10-12 then that's fine, he is a sedate driver.
What make/model/condition can we get for 1.5 L ? Is Mayapuri the only place where we should search ? Any recommendations ?

hi
recently i came across a gypsy for around 1.2L, it was in meerut (good original working condition)

thanks
sajid
Old 4th January 2010, 15:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
There are alot of options available and Ill advise you to go to the jeep market to check. But in my experience 1.5L is a little less budget for buying and restoring an ex-army vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks