Team-BHP - A Newbie seeks info on Gypsy
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   A Newbie seeks info on Gypsy (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/60946-newbie-seeks-info-gypsy.html)

Hi! Friends

This is a newbie looking forward to help from folks in the know.

I have been an ardent fan of the Gypsy since childhood. Can't recall an instance when a Gypsy passed by and didn't get a head turn from me. It's still the same. It doesn't matter whether the specimen is new (which is rare to come across these days) or old, or one which is completely beaten down. The longing is just as strong.

After much delay, I have made up my mind to finally acquire a Gypsy for recreational driving in nearby areas of Bangalore for shooting birds (with Canon, of course!) and within the city during weekends and sometimes during the week for "after dinner drives". (Yeah, I know sensible folks would rather walk after dinner but the temptation of driving an open top Gypsy on a starry, when lucky, Bangalore night with wind in the hair would be just too great to forego, right?!)

But before I begin my search in earnest, I need to have the following points sorted out. Thought of posing these questions since there are many Gypsy owners and fans here.

1) In which year did Maruti discontinue production of MG410W?
2) In which year was wide-track Gypsy introduced?
3) Was the wide-track introduced with MG410W or with MG413W?
4) In which year was MG413W carb introduced?
5) In which year was MG413W MPFI introduced?

I want to buy a wide-track Gypsy, either an MG410W or MG413W.

I know these are quite a few questions but having answers to these would make me better informed and will help me in my quest to acquire a vehicle which I have always admired.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonguy (Post 1363909)
1) In which year did Maruti discontinue production of MG410W?

~1999
Quote:

2) In which year was wide-track Gypsy introduced?

~1991
Quote:

3) Was the wide-track introduced with MG410W or with MG413W?

With MG410 initially
Quote:

4) In which year was MG413W carb introduced?

1997 or 1996
Quote:

5) In which year was MG413W MPFI introduced?

2000 for civilian gypsy and 2003 for ex-army.

Above are according to best of my knowledge.

Amar

The Gypsy King 413W was introduced in 1997.
The 410W and 413W were sold together for a brief period.

Cheers
GB

the best way is buy ex-army mpfi one & overhaul it according to your test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 1364562)
the best way is buy ex-army mpfi one & overhaul it according to your test.

Ex-Army Mpfi will be available for auction in next 2 years as currently 2000 and 2001 is available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amar82 (Post 1365584)
Ex-Army Mpfi will be available for auction in next 2 years as currently 2000 and 2001 is available.

Glad to hear that news about ex-army mpfi MG413! that would be worth some extra money from the mayapuri dealers!

ex-army MPFI? i think MPFI's started entering army service only after May-2003 and army fellows usually keep the jeeps for atleast 7 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amar82 (Post 1365584)

:eek: 2 years :Frustrati.

but i think its worth waiting for an mpfi one of not carb ex army is still a great buy. (or buy carb one & upgrade to mpfi 416w after some time )

in the mean time continue your search at market pleases, you never know what you will find there.

Thanks everyone for the info. Much appreciated!:)

Amar,

I differ

Wide track Gypsy was introduced in 1994
So the designation MG410 was changed to MG410W. ( W=Wide)
the wide track models lacked the hublocks which were available on MG410s.
410Ws got skirts and body coloured fenders.

Post 97 410Ws were called Gypsy E ( E for economy)

Kings(1300cc, 5 Speed) can be visually identified by means of their grill and a projection in the hood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MexXxentric (Post 1367601)
I differ...

Post 97 410Ws were called Gypsy E ( E for economy)

I think Gypsy E was for Eight seater (6 on 2 side bench rear) and 2 front. Eight seaters had excise duty refund advantage. Hence Gypsy E!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 1365934)
:eek: 2 years :Frustrati.

but i think its worth waiting for an mpfi one of not carb ex army is still a great buy. (or buy carb one & upgrade to mpfi 416w after some time )

in the mean time continue your search at market pleases, you never know what you will find there.

BTW whats the difference between 413 and 416?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 1370787)
BTW whats the difference between 413 and 416?

I think it is 3 :D.

413 refers to the Gypsy King model with 1.3 L engine. 416 is being used to refer to the Gypsy fitted with the 1.6 L engine used in the Baleno (this is an after-market alteration : not available stock).

Jumping with some questions to help me decide on buying a brand new gypsy:

1. I understand the car does not have a center diff - that means that the 4x4 mode, whether high or low, cannot be used on good roads/tarmac - correct? With no center diff, doing that will cause drive train wind up?
2. Can one shift from 2w to 4wH on the fly, or does one need to come to a halt.
3. I am sure that shifting from 4wH to 4wL can be only done with the car at standstill.
4. If the getting out and locking the wheel stuff has been done away with, what advantages, if any, have been lost?

Appreciate any clarification, thanks!

1. I understand the car does not have a center diff - that means that the 4x4 mode, whether high or low, cannot be used on good roads/tarmac - correct?
With no center diff, doing that will cause drive train wind up?

Very much correct.

2. Can one shift from 2w to 4wH on the fly, or does one need to come to a halt.

From wide track onwards( post 1994) the front differentials are permanently locked (no differential lock) and its "shift on fly" with normal speeds from 2H to 4H

3. I am sure that shifting from 4wH to 4wL can be only done with the car at standstill.

Yes you can be 100% surelol:

4. If the getting out and locking the wheel stuff has been done away with, what advantages, if any, have been lost?

If you have the stuff called differential locks in your machine, you have to get out of your gypsy and lock the front hub before you land in a situation requiring 4WD action

Advantage of having diff. locks- the vehicle will be more fuel efficient in 2WD mode with the front differentials unlocked . Top speed will also increase marginally.