Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2009, 01:28   #1
BHPian

Restoring a Willys CJ3B

Hi Fellow BHPians,

My name is Abhishek & I have recently joined Team-BHP. I acquired a Willys CJ3B jeep 2 weeks back in Bangalore. I have been doing research on jeeps for months now, test driving dozens & finally picking this one. It has the original 1967 Petrol Engine, left hand drive, 3 speed gear box, new tyres & batteries. The jeep, all in all, is one of the best I test drove in the past few months & was moderately priced- giving me the opportunity to restore it the way I wanted.

My aim is to restore it to its original status- albeit in military look. I understand that CJ3B is a civilian jeep by pedigree, but want to give it a military jeep look.

There are a few areas that I needed help, which is the reason why I am reaching out to all of you. I have been reading about the past dozens of threads & I am absolutely amazed by the knowledge & passion that is displayed through these. I must also accept that a majority of basic knowledge that I have been able to gain on jeeps came primarily from reading your threads.

Post picking the jeep, I embarked on the following activity:
1) I firstly started with the paperwork process. The jeep didn't have any insurance, I got that done. I also applied for getting the registration transferred
2) Next, I gave it to a local garage in Bangalore- whom I found through a friend- to get the basic jobs done. This included basic service, oil & filter change, overhaul of steering wheel, brakes & suspension. Some of these were in a deplorable condition, as the jeep hadn't been serviced for more than a year!
3) Third, I started to look out for a real garage, where I could get my next phase of mechanical & electrical work done. I read about Vivek's CJ3B restoration project 3 years back & therefore reached out to Ganesh- who has a garage in BSK.
4) Through Ganesh, I also started interacting with another Ganesh at Pollachi- to source all the military & other decorative fittings.

Currently, I have given the jeep for next phase of mechanical work. Some of the things that I am targeting are
- Putting a 4WD. One of the previous owners had taken it off
- I am also contemplating taking the gas fitting out or deactivated. Currently, the jeep works on a gas kit
- Work needs to be done on differential, gear box, etc
- The jeep currently doesn't have any handbrake

The help that I need is as follows:
1) I need to understand where I can source spares from. Considering I am based out of Bangalore, the option is to go to the local flea market or look at larger markets like Chennai or even in Kerala (don't know if one can get spares there)
2) Secondly, is Pollachi a good place to buy lot of the decorative or body work related spares (Gerry Can, Shovel, Bumperretes, back door, split windscreen with wipers, dials, military lights, gun holder, siren, hood, handbrake, steering wheel with horn, etc). I am also looking at painting the jeep, post sandblasting etc
3) Thirdly, I have read through dozens of pages of thoughts around winches. I want to look at buying one too
4) Once I finish with all of this, I will then seek the more exotic accessories like Antenna, Decontanimator, desert cooling mechanism, radio, siren, original toolkit, etc
5) At this stage I have advised to avoid overhauling the engine- that I should drive the vehicle around to see how it is doing & then take a call.

It will be great if you can guide me about spare parts either within Bangalore or in Chennai. If you can suggest contact points, it will immensely help. I am also going to Delhi in 2 weeks time- can get something from Mayapuri too, if that is the recommendation. I am also looking at getting a few things from the US, considering they may be impossible to get in India. Would like to know if y

Also, if you have specific information about garages who can help me do this effectively, that too will help.

I know many of you have gone through this dozens of times. I am hoping to gain from your knowledge & experience- so please share with me what you can.

Thanks,
Abhishek
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Willys CJ3B-mycj3b.jpg  

abhishek_d_zulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2009, 16:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your rare find, zulu!

looking forward to see the restoration on this Willys.

i would reccomend a fellow TBhp member HARJEEV to help you during your visit to Mayapuri in Delhi.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2009, 17:46   #3
BHPian

More and more CJ3Bs being restored, great!

Welcome to the board Abhishek and congrats on a great Jeep. Keep us informed what you are doing to the Jeep.
Old 14th September 2009, 00:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Some of the things that I am targeting are
- Putting a 4WD. One of the previous owners had taken it off
The front diff is very much in your jeep. Only the front propellor shaft must be thrown away. You will get it easily. I BET the gearbox+transfer case is stock (meaning you have 4WD capability), just need to find the shaft. Bend under the jeep and check for the transfer case. Need some detailed pics - under hood and under body (esp the gear box front and back side).

LPG - Purely your call. It wont look stock, but if you want a daily use Jeep - may be you can retain the LPG. If its only for recreational and OTR purpose, remove it. Its not good for any petrol engine if its after market kit. (Personal exp with car). It will screw up your piston and rings.
Old 14th September 2009, 00:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats abhishek, its a good jeep and looks in good condition too.
best of luck with the resto.
Old 14th September 2009, 01:45   #6
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies... Tomorrow I will post the list of spares I need to source to do the next phase of restoration. The garage that I am using to get it done also introduced me to a person from Shivajinagar- where the spares can be found- though I don't know about the pricing yet. He will confirm availability & pricing tomorrow. Perhaps it will be more expensive than what I can get it at Calcutta or Chennai. So, will take a call post understanding the availability / cost in BLR.

I also checked out quite a few internet sites today to look for the original handbrake assembly. If I am unable to find one in India, maybe I will consider importing one. Let me know if anyone has one for sale for CJ3B.

Post the mechanicals, perhaps I will drive it down to Pollachi to get the fittings & paint work done. Everyone I am speaking to, tells me Bangalore mayn't offer all the right fittings.

Let me know if these assumptions are incorrect.

I will also take the pictures of the jeep & post for all of you to see... the jeep is currently at the garage- so will get it in the next day or so.

Thanks again for all your encouragement & support... hoping to get this beautiful machine up & running the way I want post monsoon...

Will be in Delhi on 27th- so would look forward to catching up with Harjeev to see if I can get something useful from Mayapuri.

Can anyone help in Chennai to source some of the spares? Hope it won't be too much of trouble!

Take care & thanks again...

Abhishek
Old 14th September 2009, 13:08   #7
BHPian

Congrats buddy. Was it a bargain then or did it drill a hole in your pocket ???

I take it you are going to let the orignal engine be in there ???

Good luck with the resto & post us some pics.

Thanks

M
Old 14th September 2009, 23:58   #8
BHPian

Thanks M... no, it wasn't a bad deal at all. The gentleman that I bought the jeep from was not keen on making money. He sold it only because he wasn't using it. In a way, I guess I got lucky, considering I have come across some really atrocious bargains in the past 2-3 months, with people asking for ridiculous sums of money for well done jeeps. This way, even post the restoration, I will have money left in my budget.
Old 15th September 2009, 04:48   #9
BHPian

Well done buddy, Thats what we like to hear a bargian

All the best & keep us posted with pics.

Cheers
Old 15th September 2009, 10:10   #10
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I need to source the following parts for the jeep... could you let me know if anyone can help... this is for CJ3B

Original Gear box
4WD
Rear Differential Assembly
Center Wheel Joint & 4 Wheel joint

I am having trouble getting them in Shivajinagar (Bangalore) currently. If anyone has any contacts from where I can get them, it will be very helpful.

Thanks & take care...

Abhishek
Old 15th September 2009, 10:58   #11
BHPian

thats a nice find my friend,looking forward for the restoration illustrations.well all the parts you are looking for are available in mayapuri,and more over there are few outlets where you can buy brand new stuff too.jeep is indeed in a nice shape.

cheers!!!

mandeep
Old 15th September 2009, 13:04   #12
BHPian

Try talking to this Guy, might help

Sami
98457 41575

he has a garage in Indiranagar
amreshmahapatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 16:34   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks good and fairly orginal, will follow this thread to see how you do. Yep do drive the engine around a bit to see how it's doing first before any thoughts of overhauling, also do get the history about the past engine work done (when and what) from the guy who sold this to you.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhishek,
First of all Congratulations for such a nice find. Your vehicle is in good condition (By Looks). As far as Spare parts availability is concerned, take my words you will not face any problem, because of UBS and some othergreat enthus.
My suggestion is to get in touch with Diesel_Maniac (T-BHP Handle) for spare parts, he will help you to get original parts.
And also you can get everything from Mayapuri, but you should be careful while purchasing products from this place.

All the best for your Project. If you need something from Delhi, i will be more than happy to help You.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2009, 01:02   #15
BHPian

I agree with shubhendra, although i have never met Diesel Mechanic before from what i have read he knows his stuff pretty well.

All the best dude.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks