Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 17:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Great to own a king. Need more details on buying experience, how many kms it had clocked? etc.

The thing in is you should have to be there till the vehicle is moved into the transport else what you see is you won't get when delivered. The parts will be changed during the whole process.

Anyways all the best. Keep the WIP pics flowing.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 26th November 2009 at 17:10.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Will they clean up the vehicle and give it to you. Or does it come in the 'as is' condition.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Great to own a king. Need more details on buying experience, how many kms it had clocked? etc.

The thing in is you should have to be there till the vehicle is moved into the transport else what you see is you won't get when delivered. The parts will be changed during the whole process.

Anyways all the best. Keep the WIP pics flowing.
well the meter says 27k but i doubt. as i've mentioned earlier my friend is at mayapuri n he'll make sure the vehicle reaches without any changes, keeping my [FONT=&quot]fingers[/FONT] crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Will they clean up the vehicle and give it to you. Or does it come in the 'as is' condition.
Ya the vehicle will be properly cleaned, with new battery, lights, engine will be tuned and it'll be made road worthy
Old 26th November 2009, 17:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Friends,

Mayapuri happens to be the scrap market in Delhi, which specializes in army disposal vehicles. Especially Gypsies, MM 550 & occasional 3Bs. There are approximately 50 shops which sell these vehicles, the most prominent ones are Pali Motors (from where Annu seems to have purchased) and Padam Motors.

Yes, this place is very tricky & newbies are identified immediately. It is better to take someone experienced/ regular with you. Identify th vehicle that you like, and ask about that in the last!

2000 carb gypsy would have costed approx 90-100K. Pl confirm.

The Gypsies are available in all conditions (as is/ running) and they even have 'setting' in a few Punjab RTOs for getting vehicle registered in your name. This is also a place for cheap restoration of the vehicle.

I have personally purchased a 1999 Carb Gypsy King in June, and after an initial work there (which I found sub-stanard) I got the entire restoration done at MSM. Enclosing a few pics also.

Cheers!

ashish

ashish you're rite the price quoted was 1.25 but after a very long discussion we finally sattled for 1.05k+ transportation of 7k
Old 26th November 2009, 18:06   #20
BHPian

I have always wondered what the two extensions on Army Gypsies are? I am talking about the extensions which look like illuminaiton lamps just above the headlights. Also is there any use of keeping them on the civilian ones?
I have not seen them on any civilian gypsies(discounting the ones bought from Army Disposal).
Old 26th November 2009, 18:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
I have always wondered what the two extensions on Army Gypsies are? I am talking about the extensions which look like illuminaiton lamps just above the headlights. Also is there any use of keeping them on the civilian ones?
I have not seen them on any civilian gypsies(discounting the ones bought from Army Disposal).
Blackout lights, do a search they have been discussed in some detail on another thread.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
.These lights are standard on every Army vehicle. These are useful during the night as these vehicles will not be detected from air. They are called kanwa lights by the military guys in my town.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:38   #23

sorry for going off topic. beejay are you from coonoor? then you might have known my friend trammway aka shiva from chennai. he is an ardent jeeper and has a lot of jeeper friends in coonoor. very sorry about the landslides man. nature's punishment for man's greed. hope you didn't suffer in this calamity.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Another one bites the 'mayapuri' dust!

congrats on you being gypsied!

i will follow this thread closely to watch the gypsy coming alive after service the army for 9 years!
Old 26th November 2009, 21:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on buying the Gypsy!!! I myself am on the hunt for a gypsy but havnig restored 2 disposals in the past year, I will definitely wait!!! Moreover I am on the lookout of a MPFI and not a carb so Ill have to wait!!!

Do PM me incase any help is required or liaison needs to be done in Mayapuri!!!
The guy whom you've bought is Pali and the other big shop in the area is Padam motors!!! These both have the most vehicles in stock but one has to be really careful when dealing with either of them!!!

What are you doing about the registration!!! This is one area that I find Mayapuri the shadiest but there are no other option available to us!!!

I will keep checking this thread regularly for the updation on the restoration process!!!

Best of luck!!!
Old 26th November 2009, 21:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaimonarch View Post
sorry for going off topic. beejay are you from coonoor? then you might have known my friend trammway aka shiva from chennai. he is an ardent jeeper and has a lot of jeeper friends in coonoor. very sorry about the landslides man. nature's punishment for man's greed. hope you didn't suffer in this calamity.
OT. Yes I know Shiva. He is from Chennai.

There is a separate thread for the landslides in the Nilgiris. Thanks for your concern.
Old 27th November 2009, 09:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by annu0706 View Post
.....we finally sattled for 1.05k....
Slightly on the higher side but nevertheless congratulations. And the mpfi gypsies are surely on a quite higher price keeping in mind those are mayapuri disposals. I think a 4-5 year old civilian mpfi in the range of 3-3.5L is a way better choice. And if one can stretch nothing like a brand new one. So how much estimate you have in mind for the complete restoration?
-regards,
Old 27th November 2009, 12:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Annu, congratulations on acquisition. Do post on the restoration. What is the estimate ?
Old 27th November 2009, 19:51   #29
BHPian

road worthy gypsies in the 1 to 1.5 lakh range sound enticing, I am going to check this area out !
Old 28th November 2009, 00:07   #30
BHPian

It was good that you actually got a running gypsy because normally from exterior lot of things will look intact in engine bay but they have missing parts here and there.

Congrats for owning a Gypsy. Do write a complete restore thread.

Amar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks