Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:19   #16
BHPian

My Jeep

A very good topic. Let me start listing down.

1) Purchased for 2.25L (excellent running condition)

2) Replaced defective Steering Box with new OE one (6500INR)

3) Replaced Brake Master Cylinder to new OE (TVS) , do not remember the price i think ~3000INR

4) Replaced the entire clutch Assy Including Clutch slave cylinder, Clutch Fork, Release bearing clutch plate and pressure plate - all Off the shelf OE parts (Total Budget was 9000INR)

5) Did some cosmetic, yet practical modifications like Indica Fuel cap and a locable lid. Plus some body work followed by painting ~5000INR.

6) All leaf springs re-cambering and one new OE Main Leaf ~ 1500INR

7) Front wheel bearings, kingpin bearings, knuckle kit, tie road ends and body bushes etc all OE parts - ~3000INR

8) Electronic Oil pressure gauge switch, replaced with new OE. Plus some electrical works - ~1500INR

Apart from these there were lot of sall expenses like air filter diesel filter etc which i don't remember.

Now Wish list

1) Rear diff has a slight humming when i take off the foot from Throttle. Planning to replace the entire crown, pinion, and Bearings to New OE parts. I am not sure about the budget as i do not know the prices.

2) Front Disc brake conversion, sourced all required parts, comparatively easy for me since i have power brakes with drum upfront. 10500INR, including calipers, Rotors, Hoses, Carrier plate and hubs etc.

3) Though my engine has enough life left out, still planning to open it up, since a big trip is scheduled for 2010. Budget 25000-35000INR, this includes Pump calibration and alternator overhauling as well.

4) A light weight hardtop, Budget 30000-40000INR. (I may scarp this, but as of now is very much in "to-do" list)

5) A/C 15000-25000INR

6) Rear CFL springs, 18000-20000INR

7) Better shocks. Do not know about the prices.

8) Winch 40000-60000INR

7) Better Seats in front and front facing rear Seats. Budget 10000INR

8) Fully floating rear rear setup with custom made Axel. (Not sure about the expenses)

9) Thermostat (Sourced) and Four core radiator (Yet to source) Budget max 5000INR

10) Snorkel 5000INR

Ok i think i did not miss any thing, now add all these and you will know how much i am going to spend and how much i spent already

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 3rd December 2009 at 16:23.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sree-

Woohaaa...thats quite a comprehensive list yaar!! So, together your wish list our jeep would touch 4 lakhs mark! I think you can do away with CFL for now not a urget requirement. Rest all i think you are making a wise investment specially when you plan to do such a long trip.
Post some recent pics of your vehicle so that guys here have an idea how much did it take to spend about 2.5 to 2.7 lakhs on 550 XDB
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Classic Jeep purchase - Rs. 1.3L
Paper work - Rs. 20,000 (The jeep was picked up from Financier yard, recovered jeep)
Sand blasting - Rs. 3000
Painting - Rs. 16,000
Tinkering - Rs. 14,700
Body bolts and Bed - Rs. 1,200
Soft top with frame - Rs. 11,400 + 500(shipping)
Electricals - Rs. 4800 (including materials)
Steering wheel - Rs. 950
Steering combination switch - Rs. 750
Gear box overhaul - Rs. 1500
Clutch replacement - Lost the bill but replaced cluch, clutch bearing and clutch plate
Engine oil, filter, fuel filter change - done 4 time after restoring the jeep for every 5-8K kms
Ramsey Winch - 58,000 (includes my transport to Bangalore and back to chennai and accomodation)
Hi-Lift Jack - Rs. 6,000
Hi-Lift jack holder fabrication plate - Not yet calculated
Hi-Lift jack rubber grip - Not yet calculated
Saturn OverDrive - Not yet calculated
Safari Snorkel - Rs. 5,500
Front propeller shaft - Rs. 890
Radiator hoses - Rs. 300 x 3 times
4 core Radiator - Rs. 3,700
Set of 4 brand new radial tyres - Rs. 9,600
Brand new diesel tank - Rs. 850
Brand new mesh - Rs. 500
Brand new tow hook - Rs. 700
Recampering of suspension leafs - Rs. 2400
water pump - Rs. 2700
servo break booster with mas cylinder kit - Rs. 4500 (may be wrong as i lost the exact figure)
rear hub and break drum - Rs. 1800
front knuckle - Rs. 1200
Battery - rs. 3000(2nd one) + 4600 (first one)
Mechanical labour - Rs. 25,000- 30000 (first time restoration, Engine transplant, Water pump change, break overhaul, flood repair last year and other misc)
Lining of seat covers and floor mats - Rs. 4000
Music system - Rs. 1500
Windshield glass - Rs. 1000
Starter motor and Alternator over haul - Rs. 2500

Apart from this tie-rod joints, break pipes, All wheel bearings, front break major kit, shock absorbers has also been replaced.

Now the Jeep is running with XD3P engine (failed, so engine is getting rebuild at the cost of Rs. 35000 in addition to the purchase cost)

Installation of Rear LSD, Snorkel, Overdrive, engine overhaul and Fog lights is on the process. Yet again I will start doing the body work once complete the mechanical fitness of the Jeep and counting.

I have already crossed 4.5L budget and still counting as I have few more things to add on to my Jeep budget. I'm also preparing a common recovery kit for all my offroaders which is not added to this calculation.

May be my Petrol CJ3B will turn cheapest restoration project ever and it is going fine with the plans. The costliest may be my FJ40 under my garage.

All parts used in my Jeep are OE except few that are unavailable or fabricated
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

I bought my CJ3B for 1.5 lakhs ....
Gotchya, had asked you about the price you paid for your beautiful CJ3B in the thread which you had started after purchasing it.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:14   #20
BHPian

We do so much to get our vehicle to make it " The Perfect Offroading vehicle " but are we not missing some point here - Why ?

Do you feel good when you climb bends , when water touches your feet while seated in your vehicle , when at 70 degrees climb , when we ride in ambiguity through slush , when we have slush flying past missing your face - We are all born racers or rallyist or offroaders only thing is we dont have a perfect stage to showcase us .

We are all hard working and goal oriented is what i can also make out from this thread

We have been riding in small places else we are shumi or whatever by ourselves . If we are able to recover the cost through offroading events i'm sure no Jeeper will have sell his machine for Vitamin M or none will regret spending more.

MODS please delete the post if you feel its not required here. I'm sorry sometime i get emotional when it comes to Vehicles .
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Now Wish list
Dear Sree,
That's a super comprehensive list/post. I've a long long way to go before i could even come up with such a list. For now, i shall try to find out what that wish list of yours mean. But i would love to have most of those that you've mentioned in your wish list. Question is where to source --> Parts/Mechanic. When i begin to realize my wish list, will ask some seniors here for help.
@Vinod: My post does not make sense here, but i shall still post it. Will help get a comparison with a new vehicle.
Price to purchase a new MG413W : 6.2 Lakhs
Spent some money on tyres (BFGs) : 12K
That makes it 6.3 lakhs.
A very nice thread.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vinod,
Nice thread. Good info for guys like me who want to jump in but holding on the financial thread so far before diving in!
Recession hit-you might want to say!
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

trammmway,

Your jeep is a super jeep now! 4.5 lakhs if quite a big money but the equipment list that you have is quite comprehensive. Is your engine up and running? long time we met. Your jeep with old mechanicals was superb, now i have to check to get surprised!

How much do you plan budget for Fj? and how less is your 3B petrol going to cost?

@starter

Your new Gypsy is awsome! All of us here are trying to achieve OE condition at fraction of the cost, hope we suceed. Thats why all these rebuild's n all!

@getsurya
Where have you been? Long time. Yes, this will give you a fair idea how much and what it takes to make a dream 4x4!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 3rd December 2009 at 17:44.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Sree-

Woohaaa...thats quite a comprehensive list yaar!! So, together your wish list our jeep would touch 4 lakhs mark! I think you can do away with CFL for now not a urget requirement. Rest all i think you are making a wise investment specially when you plan to do such a long trip.
Post some recent pics of your vehicle so that guys here have an idea how much did it take to spend about 2.5 to 2.7 lakhs on 550 XDB
Yeah four lakhs!!!!! That exactly what makes me think that i will let him go and Book a brand new Gypsy. But the moment i am at my basement, looking at the Jeep, the thought slowly fades away, and once i start driving, I am like "What the Heck" i am not letting it go, after all it took months of sleepless nights and search for me to get what i was exactly looking for (MM550 XDB).

I do not have any recent pictures, apart from those which were already shared in OTR threads. Yeah i missed one thing in the wish list. Set of 5 A/T tyres (235/75/R15) and a set of five brand new OE Gypsy rims, Together 30000INR. No, i am not a big fan of alloys on Jeeps, it somehow looks sissy

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 3rd December 2009 at 17:39.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

2.5L including the cost of purchase and reg on our 550. Still needs work doing which will take it close to 3L.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Post with pics please:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
2.5L including the cost of purchase and reg on our 550. Still needs work doing which will take it close to 3L.
Bigman,
Iam a fan of paint job on your jeep. Looks good with BFgoodrich. Awsome jeep. Please post recent pics of your jeep.

I request all the first time contributers of this thread to post thier experience with pictures of their jeep. Will make each other get ideas on upgrading etc etc

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 3rd December 2009 at 17:42.
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bigman,
Iam a fan of paint job on your jeep. Looks good with BFgoodrich. Awsome jeep. Please post recent pics of your jeep.

I request all the first time contributers of this thread to post thier experience with pictures of their jeep. Will make each other get ideas on upgrading etc etc
Thanks. Looks good but sadly starting was one issue that needs to be resolved as do a few other teething problems. Also going to replace the seat covers as the chap who does the covers could not get material matching the back seats to cover the new front seats. I guess thats another 2000RS on covers.

Here is a picture of it after a quick wash.

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-gps_176.jpg
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:10   #28
BHPian

Cost of 550
Transport

Parts so far

Battery

Last edited by davids4x4mm550 : 3rd December 2009 at 18:13.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Eager to see arjunrudra, joybeb, randeep etc., participate in this thread.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@siralec-
You have got a very unique piece of machinery. What stage of restoration is it in? Its a beauty, is it up and running?
Its in running condition just like new that it may have been when it was in 72'. Those are extra spares for keep it running till the end of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks