Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 21:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

More photos

Some more photos, let me know what you guys feel and think...

Before

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06139.jpg

After

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06962.jpg

More...

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06972.jpg

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06964.jpg

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06960.jpg

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06973.jpg

My 4x4 "Lieutenant" has arrived!!!-dsc06957.jpg

Last edited by The Wolf : 18th June 2010 at 21:14.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

What prices for the 7" tyres? Which shop?

What happened to the 15" alloys? up for sale?

Last edited by svsantosh : 18th June 2010 at 21:54.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
are those 6*16 or 7*16? What prices? Which shop?

What happened to the 15" alloys? up for sale?
Those are 7.00-16 mate... Got it shipped from Chennai.

Yup, for sale- almost brand new 15'' MULTI PCD alloys (run 2500kms), original Lenso's deep dish heavy duty for offroad, zero scratches (only water marks), imported from Thailand. Plus the tyres...

Last edited by The Wolf : 18th June 2010 at 21:58.
Old 20th June 2010, 23:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

To the experts...

I want an inch or two increase in ground clearance, I want the gain in height at the differential/crossmember/rear diesel tank level. What options do I have? Tyre change is already done so what else?
Old 21st June 2010, 07:33   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
To the experts...

I want an inch or two increase in ground clearance, I want the gain in height at the differential/crossmember/rear diesel tank level. What options do I have? Tyre change is already done so what else?
Put the jeep up on 4 stones. Make sure the stones are strong

There's a thread on increasing ground clearance for Jeeps. Search for it and read it in the technical section.

Since you've already done tyres, Shackle lift will be the next cheapest approach.

However, it does make sense to shift the tank to within the jeep (under passenger seat) and re-route the fuel line. Its a sitting duck where it is. Then you will not find the need for more GC.

Thats your next home work for this week-end. Now go do it and dont come back here until its done
Old 21st June 2010, 10:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but can very surely say that the mech I have found is no genius, he seems to be way too much about himself. When asked to do a certain thing a certain way he was quick to tell me that he has been working since 28 years etc. Just told him to shave the trim and get to business after which he got a little too silent for his looks
Quote:
You should really try Raju once. I got 2 major works done by him, tho he is always pre-occupied, he never delays a job like above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
You seriously want to try Raju. He is my mech from last 3 years. And suresh's from last 15 years!!! It is something like an official Jeepthrills garage now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I still would highly suggest that you look harder and find someone reliable and CLOSE by. Being CLOSE is as important as being reliable. I am sure there are more good mechanics there. Who are the other jeeper's in and around your area of residence? Do some more searching there before giving up and jumping around like a grasshopper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yeah find a garage close by, even if he is not an expert we can get him upto speed Jeep's are simple creatures and not like prepping your competition cars, so find a reliable, honest chap who can take instructions. Thats all, most important drink, eat and breath PATIENCE!
Wolf,

Its true that its hard to find good mechanics for old school vehicles especially in cities as many of them upgrade to new gen vehicles or either fly to GELF, like spitfire pointed out.

However you find some very good mechanics in small towns. For example, Coonoor. Some Jeeps from Cochin, Thrissur and Mysore end up here to be fixed. Sulthan Battery and Gudalur too have some good mechanics, yet a majority of them have gone abroad. These are litreally like Jeep towns. However I cannot vouch for these guys and you would need to find out by local reference.

This guy in Coonoor is good. He used to fix our old Ambi, CJ3B, and other Jeeps. He usually goes to Cochin and other places and brings the vehicles, fixes them and takes it back. Again, it depends on the nature of the job. I admire his knowledge and that impresses more than infrastructure. Anyways cigarettes being my only companion there. Its more a ritual to meet him every month now, regularly off road in the weekends.

For some its not practical to have a vehicle fixed in a different town. But hey, it all depends on who you trust your vehicle with and what you need out of the vehicle. Just that you would like to know, there is a irregular renowned off roader here. Many know him and he is based in Chennai. He drives down to Coimbatore and has his Jeep fixed there.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:42   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What prices for the 7" tyres?
Can you please answer this question?
Old 21st June 2010, 11:19   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, for sale- almost brand new 15'' MULTI PCD alloys (run 2500kms), original Lenso's deep dish heavy duty for offroad, zero scratches (only water marks), imported from Thailand. Plus the tyres...
Quote:
Can you please answer this question?
Yeah, tyre price you paid + what do you want for the rims. Dont even offer the tyres, shivaji nagar is the best place to sell the tyres off. Expect 100Rs per tyre MAX...
Old 21st June 2010, 11:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what do you want for the rims.
I think he wants 25K for the rims and the 235 tyres. Saw it in the classifieds.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:50   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just keen to know what price was paid for the 7 x 16 NDMS tyres.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:49   #101
Team-BHP Support

Venky IIRC they are available at 3600-4000 mark. And why the heck are you interested in them? Still trying to sabotage Sree??
Old 21st June 2010, 21:11   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Venky IIRC they are available at 3600-4000 mark. And why the heck are you interested in them? Still trying to sabotage Sree??
Just to know how much I can sell mine for...lot of tread is still left
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:00   #103
BHPian

You have got a nice machine with you, Just go out and enjoy your day man. Congrats on ur new buy
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:24   #104
Senior - BHPian

@ The Wolf: I can understand your feeling for getting a Jeep as am also going through the same. Many congratulations on getting what you wanted. BTW for better on road cruisability, you can look at getting a XD3P engine with a NGT 520/530 GB at a latter date.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:53   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ The Wolf: I can understand your feeling for getting a Jeep as am also going through the same. Many congratulations on getting what you wanted. BTW for better on road cruisability, you can look at getting a XD3P engine with a NGT 520/530 GB at a latter date.
I will not forget this suggestion of yours mate...I know you are making a hell a a lot of sense for the same reasons as mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
You have got a nice machine with you, Just go out and enjoy your day man. Congrats on ur new buy
Thanks mate...appreciate it!

Quote:
I am just keen to know what price was paid for the 7 x 16 NDMS tyres.
Shipping from chennai + Contenental butyl short neck tubes, all put together it costed me around Rs.4,330/- per tyre+ tube set.

In regard to the repositioning of the gas tank and shackle height, I am contemplating both. Post my long conversation with Suresh Stephen my first priority would be to take it to Raju on appointment and check brake linings and gearbox/front diff over haul. Will try to do as much at one go to save time. BTW Venkat, where to you get your jeep works done?

Quote:
Yeah, tyre price you paid + what do you want for the rims. Dont even offer the tyres, shivaji nagar is the best place to sell the tyres off. Expect 100Rs per tyre MAX...
I have an offer for 6K already for the set (5 tyres + tubes) at JC Road

@ Beejay: : I see where you are comin from, it will take a lot of motivation for me to explore mechs beyond my city at this time. Its teething period for me, biting bones might hurt

Last edited by The Wolf : 22nd June 2010 at 17:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks