Team-BHP - Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/81801-mahindra-thar-drool-quotient-16.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshguy (Post 2001581)
:OT Parm looks like its almost 6 months,welcome back

thanx Josh, its 3 months to be exact but looks like eternity! it took ages to pass those months!

glad to see rising interest in THAR and active participation by MM staff who are associated with the Mr. Santa Clause himself in building the THAR for early xmas this year (fingers crossed).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2001500)
OK. You are talking of the lower arm/ wishbone, not the torsion bar. But removal of the bump stops stresses the torsion bar (and will cause failure there), not the lower arm.

Sutripta, we have broken a few lower arms/torsion bars :D.

Spike

OT- I think we are deviating from the thread, we will discuss this elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2000795)
...This is equivalent to a cantilever system with one point fixed and the other under load/moving. Here, the wheel end moves up and down whereas the chassis end is anchored by a hex bolt (M12x1.25) and a guide. ...

I am not sure this is a cantilever action at all. Your post below makes me visualise the pivoted end of the control arm to be fixed to the chassis again : only rotation along the pivot axis would be possible (the up and down movement of the wheel). I have not seen the underside of the Mahindra IFS up-close, but have had a look at that of an Amby, guess the basics should be same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2001473)
...The free end (wheels) actually traverse an arc the center of which lies at the pivot end of the control arms...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2001500)
...In suspension design, do we treat the lower arm as a rigid member, or as a spring? ...

I guess it would be treated as a rigid member, it would just pivot around, no visible, physical, spring-like deformation.

SPIKE ARRESTOR, can u pls confirm ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2001785)
OT- I think we are deviating from the thread, we will discuss this elsewhere.

OK!

I've an idea for the "elsewhere". Why don't you bring the Thar (and W201 and mini Xylo and Xylo 4x4 and ....) to Eastern or North Eastern India, and we'll discuss it face to face. Serious.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2002872)
OK!

I've an idea for the "elsewhere". Why don't you bring the Thar (and W201 and mini Xylo and Xylo 4x4 and ....) to Eastern or North Eastern India, and we'll discuss it face to face. Serious.

Regards
Sutripta

Dada ki hochie. take it easy my friend, lets not get personal on this matter. just enjoy the thread and share your thoughts and ideas.

xylo 4x4 is good enough for on road drive and its not as 4WD as you would like it to be!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parm (Post 2002948)
Dada ki hochie. take it easy my friend, lets not get personal on this matter. just enjoy the thread and share your thoughts and ideas.

Parm, chill man. :)

Prateesh and I are both OK. Am pretty sure Prateesh knows what to read in my post.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2002993)
Parm, chill man. :)

Prateesh and I are both OK. Am pretty sure Prateesh knows what to read in my post.

Regards
Sutripta

glad to hear that dada. hey do take photos and post them as and when you try out the vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2002872)
OK!

Hmm let us see. Not sure about the W201/Xylo though (I'm surprised you guys even know the project codes) :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2002993)

OT- Exactly, if there is anyone whose posts (nature and quality in terms of scientific viewpoints) keep me glued, it has to be Sutripta.

Spike:)

I know this is a bit OT - but Xylo 4x4..??? Why do want to do that? Xylo has bad approach and departure angles... and no space for bigger wheels??
In my books it will be a no-no

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild_Card (Post 2003585)
I know this is a bit OT - but Xylo 4x4..??? Why do want to do that? Xylo has bad approach and departure angles... and no space for bigger wheels??

thanks a lot for those comments on the Xylo 4x4 (i dont understand why 4x4 xylo was introduced in the first place)!:deadhorse

If M&M is thinking about adding a 4X$ option onto the Xylo then it must mean that they fear / expect Aria pricing overlapping theirs.

Quote:

...but Xylo 4x4..??? Why do want to do that? ...

Not selectable 4WD, but if launched with a permanent 4WD with locakable center diff....now that would be interesting. It would help in better on-road control, in bad-weather conditions. Definitely no serious off-roading with the Xylo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parm (Post 2004092)
thanks a lot for those comments on the Xylo 4x4 (i dont understand why 4x4 xylo was introduced in the first place)!:deadhorse

If the Xylo 4x4 is sold to Europe where there is a lot of snow and traction is a big problem during winter, the Xylo 4x4 might work - but on the other hand, you require a full time 4x4 and not a part time 4x4. If you want a Mahindra 4x4 SUV - Buy a Scorpio.

Back to the Thar.... I have entred a nationa 4x4 event, taking place 14th Aug... Will keep you guys posted!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2003077)
OT- Exactly, if there is anyone whose posts (nature and quality in terms of scientific viewpoints) keep me glued, it has to be Sutripta.
Spike:)

WOW. Thanks.
Should we form a MBSS (Mutual Back Scratching Society) :)

Quote:

Why the Xylo? Because like Everest, it's there.
Actually, I think it has more to do with ticking all the right boxes to participate in government tenders. For bureaucrats who are entitled only to a 4x4, but with the Scorpio/ Safari being above their pay grade.

Incidentally, all the vehicles I mentioned are in various stages of R&D.

Regards
Sutripta

Well seriously this thread is going on and on and i am waiting for the THAR!! I see this thread twice a day and now am frustrated!!

This vehicle better be priced right and come in a hard top version. Else all the talk and discussion will go for a toss.