Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD

Chanu Sir,
your advices are very well on my list even now. due to extreme time limitations, i could not spare more than 2-3 hours daily, for the resto project. thats the sole reason why i am lagging in keeping updates.

as of now,
the full electricals have been done, all things done based on long life of components rather than cost cutting, and there are 2 white spot lamps coming up in the front bumper. these 2 spot lamps are fitted in clamps such that their focus can be adjustable for spotting or for long throw in highway drives. icing the cake, these white spotlamps came with a very narrow low beam also, useful as extra emergency lamps in city driving.

JEEP badge - i am looking for, pls guide me where to source, i just want only "JEEP" wordings nothing more, nothing less. am also looking for the blackout lamps for sale, but could not find any. am thinking of making stickers exactly like the jeep logo, if i could not get one. these jeep stickers in black, would be in the side, before and in between the doors hinges, position correct ?

As my tyres are normal width, (new tyres 185/85R16 apollo hawkz all terrain - 20k), i am keeping the mud flares as an option. i presume that the flarings would make my jeep look wider but the tyres would look very much inside the vehicle body - giving a very comical lean look. i am keeping my reservation on this aspect.

reg the tail lamps, i have analysed keeping 3 different taillamp combinations - square, round and vertical corner ones. of all the 3, the round ones, like army jeeps looked best and subtle, so its had got preference.

the floor is completely matted in grey shade, top is upholstered in dark grey shade, and the floor mats are done in such a way to remove and refit easily for cleaning.

the seats are done in dual colours of beige cream and dark brown, with front 2 seats from a imported toyota, (both height, fore/aft, side and lumbar adjustable), and the rear seats are army 550 seats, upholstered for some comfort. the materials used for upholstery are PU leather, costing nearly 400/meter. interior alone had dented nearly 12k in my purse, for shape and finish.

the front doors now have aluminium door pads, courtesy swastikviji - thanks viji sir, for sending the door pads, without even asking for payment. i should mention frankly here, that i was extremely surprised when i recieved mr.viji's al doorpads, suddenly one morning. i had just asked viji sir, the day before yesterday, just casually. thanks again, viji sir. they make great doorpads.

bolero stering wheel will not fit my mm540 bcoz the lower plastic part for the combination switches cannot be accomodated bcoz of the old mm540 dashboard design. so keeping the OE steering wheel itself, but duly painted, polished and leather covered.

the ICEing is being done by tomorrow and by this weekend, my jeep would be finished completely with the final clear coat and polish. will post the competed pics, by next week mid, surely. Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

pls guide me whether to fit the front stabiliser/antiroll bar or not ? am getting confused suggestions from 2wd jeepers. Regards.

Last edited by shekaran : 22nd February 2011 at 17:27. Reason: spell check
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Those JEEP stickers on the sides were available in the market atleast in HYD but not sure if they are still available I can find out for you next time I visit. I am in look out for those which were made in aluminium for my future 550 project.

I think 12k for upholstery is quite right, even my jeep costed me that much which has simple plain dull black seats (no bucket just the CJ2a originals) top and matting not even spare wheel cover.

I am happy that your idea is quite cool but was little worried when you wanted to add colour to the jeep, what you can do is paint the bumpers and other parts with dull black matt finish this will go good with white and will add robest look. I guess the painting job is done now incase.

I will find out if the blackout lamps are still available last time I enquired it was there and its from LUMAX and if I remember they were around 400=600 a pair not sure but I can confirm, let me know if you want them.

Aluminium door pads are awesome idea and there is another example of T-Bhpian ship, the gentleman who gave you the pads must be a true jeep lover who believes in "sharing is caring".

Surf internet for Jeep pictures, ideas will come out automatically my friend. All the very best.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:44   #33
BHPian

the final outcome of my MM540 4WD: a teaser pic now
Attached Thumbnails
Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-16032011234.jpg  

shekaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2011, 21:18   #34
BHPian

Dear Friends,
i am happy to post the 97% completed pics of my MM540 as a feast to all your eyes. i hope you all enjoy !!!

Works still pending on the MM540 :
1. seat belts to be installed.
2. front fog lights (yellow) to be fitted on front bumper.
3. front insect mesh grille to be refitted.
4. JEEP/4WD stickers to be pasted at appropriately.
5. Aircon yet to be installed.
6. GB/Tc Noise to be minimised.
7. Sun Film for the window glasses pending.
8. front spot lamps (white) to be refitted.

Works done till now :
1. Engine Rebuild done completely to OE specs.
2. New 185/85R16 Apollo Hawkz All Terrain Tyres.
3. Complete Bodyshell Tinkering and Painting done.
4. Full electricals overhauled - starter,alternator, headlights, dashboard wiring, wiper motor overhauled, new switches, horn etc.,.
5. Complete interior upholstery done in PU leather material - dual tone.
6. front imported bucket seats + army rear side facing seats.
7. Leaf springs recambered - new bolero long travel shock absorbers.
8. front free wheel hubs installed.
9. complete mechanicals done - Gearbox, transfercase, both differentials, front/rear shafts, new wheel bearings (6 nos.), gearbox bed, acc/clutch cables, brake master cylinder overhaul, new brake pistons, fuel pump work done in authorised mico/bosch service centre, new nozzles, diesel tank cleaned, zinc coated, new fuel filters, new oil filter, engine/GB/Tc oils changed, new clutch plate - full assembly, steering box overhauled, new body mounting bushes changed, radiator overhauled, new belts etc.,.
10. floor matting, thermocol sheets under bonnet, inside firewall, interior etc.,.
11. roplas hardtop fitted - bought 2nd hand for 10k.
12. Aluminium door pads fitted in the front 2 doors.
13. front bonnet hinges - imported, like samurai's CJ340 installed.

the final cost of the project (from buying -1.35L , restoration to rebuild) just touches 3 lakhs - yet i am not fully satisfied. i feel that there are still small small works needed, in bits and pieces, here and there (like a parking brake/hand brake installation). a proper ICE is sorely misssed. aircon needs to be fitted surely to pass this summer. before this GB/TC noise to be reduced, searching for ways to do this...jeep gurus, pls help in this aspect. pls guide me what to do ?

Lastly, my sincerest thanks to all friends/members who had helped me in sourcing the parts, who gave me valid points to check, who helped me a lot in my jeeping life...there are a lot of people, so it would be unjust if i said only a few names, the whole teambhp 4wd community is saluted, for all the helps/advices.

Best Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mm540-3.jpg  

Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mm540-2.jpg  

Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mm540-4.jpg  

Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mm540-5.jpg  

Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mm540-6.jpg  

Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mm540-1.jpg  

Last edited by shekaran : 16th March 2011 at 21:27. Reason: spell check
Old 16th March 2011, 22:30   #35
BHPian

the red reflector glass worked itself loose on top of the left rear indicator. jeep gurus, quality products are hard to get for jeeps. so pls dont mind such small small niggles.
thanks, expecting all your comments, suggestions to improvise more.
best regards.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

awesome!

just needs 235/75/16 + alloys. (IMO)

btw is the hard top new? price? brand/make?
EDIT: got it. (pm me the price of the top)
Quote:
chanced upon a hardtop for sale from a ex-police jeep, and fitted that into my jeep. the hardtop is roplas make, with full frp rear door.
rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 16th March 2011 at 22:51.
Old 17th March 2011, 00:03   #37
Team-BHP Support

Wow, amazing work! Congrats... I am salivating at the HT.

One sore point though, the tyres look anemic, I wonder why you settled for 185mm when most of us stick to 235mm. The spare tyre is something else?

I see no roll cage under the FRP hardtop, any plans for that?
Old 17th March 2011, 00:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good outcome, to pep it up more you can have Mahindra written on the sides of the bonnet, add up some marker lights. If you still want to add more then you can have MM550 handles.

Let us know the experience of A/C, how about wheels they bring in a lot of difference interms of drive, handling and looks will be jaw dropping.

Here is my jeep grabbin all the attention and my mechanic feeling proud about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Team BHP gets one more MM540 4WD-mag-wheels.jpg  

Old 17th March 2011, 14:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Thats a good outcome, to pep it up more you can have Mahindra written on the sides of the bonnet, add up some marker lights. If you still want to add more then you can have MM550 handles.

Let us know the experience of A/C, how about wheels they bring in a lot of difference interms of drive, handling and looks will be jaw dropping.

Here is my jeep grabbin all the attention and my mechanic feeling proud about it.
I second that. Please get some alloys/bigger tyres on your Jeep and watch how the whole look changes.

I personally think that those red stickers are a bit too loud for that paint job. But then again that's probably just me. The driver seat looks to be leaning to a side, please get that corrected. I imagine those seats must be real comfy.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:37   #40
BHPian

@shekaran : spotted your Jeep last night at Thiruvanmiyur outside Hotel Bharani. Must say, she looks gleaming in the night
Old 18th March 2011, 10:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
before this GB/TC noise to be reduced, searching for ways to do this... pls guide me what to do ?
First thing is to be sure if your gearbox is the troublemaker. You got the GB overhauled, what was done to it?

Spike
Old 18th March 2011, 13:44   #42
BHPian

Ram.west - Wow, you have eagle eyes and yes, the jeep was there @ hotel barani parking, thanks for spotting, the red stripes on the door make my jeep recognise easily from the govt. jeeps.

coloneljasi - alloys and 235/70R16 AT tyres are the 2 items in my next interim budget.
friends/gurus/countrymen, if you come across any 139.7 PCD 5 Holes 16" alloys - pls let me know...am searching for that.

Spike - the main shaft, all bearings, synchroniser rings, 3rd gear, and oil seals, shims etc.,. changed in the gearbox plus transfercase overhaul. there is no oil leak except the whining noise.

at 3rd,4th gears, when i keep a steady throttle @ 60kmph speed, there is a nice, resonant, low pitch, sharply heard - whining noise. if i take off the throttle, the noise is gone (all noise escapes), only on forward movement. mechanics keep on rebuilding the GB - i dont want to earn Ph.D - for rebuilding the KMT90/T18 - thats why the queries for making as silent as it could be made ?

i know that the KMT90/T18 combo cannot be made as silent as NGT GBs, but atleast the NVH levels and unwanted resonant levels can be minimised. thats what i am trying to do, so pls help. (last week i saw my mech rebuild a KMT90 fully with new 25k worth parts , except the outer body. after assembly, the GB worked silently till the clutch was engaged. the rattling/whistling/KMT generic noise - came, and it was amusing to see the mech's face. i am sure even "a half" would not have made his mind asleep on that night - LOL)

OT - spike, one help. i remember you showing some pics of old GBs in your company scrapyard. where do you sell them ? the scrap dealers who gets the GBs from your concern ? all jeepers would like to have such modern GBs, if they can lay their hands on one such.
Old 18th March 2011, 14:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
at 3rd,4th gears, when i keep a steady throttle @ 60kmph speed, there is a nice, resonant, low pitch, sharply heard - whining noise. if i take off the throttle, the noise is gone (all noise escapes), only on forward movement.
Are the gear teeths OK? Please tell if:-

a) This noise comes within a fixed speed range ( e.g. 30-60 kmph)?
b) Noise is according to the road speed or the engine speed?
c) You can hear such noises while in other gears?

Quote:
i remember you showing some pics of old GBs in your company scrapyard. where do you sell them ? the scrap dealers who gets the GBs from your concern ?
These parts (Engine , T/M, Axles, Chassis, TC etc) are sold for a pittance to the scrap wallahs which ends up in chor bazaar and similar markets. I don't have any contacts with them.

Spike
Old 18th March 2011, 17:51   #44
BHPian

the gear tooths are ok, fine.

a.the noise from the GB is in the 3rd and 4th gears. the whine increases exponentially to speed, but all of the sound stops when i take the feet off the throttle pedal. it comes only after 30kmph, when i start using 3rd gear. 4th gear is useless in my jeep below 45kmph speeds.

b.the noise is dependent on both engine rpms as well as on the road speed.

c.i cannot hear the whine in the 1st, 2nd gears. the noise comes in only on 3rd, 4th and reverse gears. the sound i say "whine" is exactly similar to the sound coming in cars, when driven hard in the reverse gear. i hope you get the feel.

best regards.

Last edited by shekaran : 18th March 2011 at 17:55. Reason: spelling
Old 18th March 2011, 18:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the gear tooths are ok, fine.
Ok, the reason why I asked is because whining noises from Engine, transmission, axle and sometimes even tires can be very confusing, all have their own symptoms.

Quote:
a.the noise from the GB is in the 3rd and 4th gears. the whine increases exponentially to speed, but all of the sound stops when i take the feet off the throttle pedal. it comes only after 30kmph, when i start using 3rd gear. 4th gear is useless in my jeep below 45kmph speeds.
Noise increases exponentially to speeds then in most cases it is a gear whine. If the noise changes during accelerating / coasting then it points towards a faulty axle.

Does the noise continue from 30 kmph onwards or it stops after a speed limit?

Quote:
b.the noise is dependent on both engine rpms as well as on the road speed.
This is contradicting, if it was an axle whine the noise would have occurred at a given road speed irrespective of the engine speed.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks