Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 13:47   #196
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The white one is the European model LHD. Check the wipers
Both are running on same BHPs?
When will be the official Test Drives begin?
Since its an offroader, they should allow to do some 4WD stuff while test drive..
Old 16th December 2010, 15:41   #197
BHPian

Thar is something legendary like the Enfield.s, MM should bring in improvements (most of it can be taken from the existing parts bin of Bolero/Scorpio.s) so that Thar evolve into a modern classic , They should offer Scorpio hardware inside, like seats,dash,AC, PS,Alloys etc...

Long live the THAR
Old 16th December 2010, 23:22   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Star, my query was:- "is there a connection / logic between BS-IV and immobilizer?" Does the hardware warrant it? The answer to which is - No.

I am not for / against providing Immobilizer, I have explained my logic above. I wanted to know from our expert (Star_aqua) whether the hardware / software used in the Electronic stuffs for BS-IV warrant an Immobilizer, is that clear?

Spike, sorry for the delayed reply. yes BS IV has nothing to do with Immobilizer. The hardware and software used in the electronic stuffs of THAR will support the immobilizer. and as you know the MDI will not support but THAR Crde deserves a good security system when compared to MDI. I had an impression that the THAR Crde comes with an immobilizer as it is targeted for urban market and obviously thefts are high in cities than in rural.
As we know THAR Crde is nothing but a SWB scorpio in mm540 disguise. for me it will be like parking my scorpio outside with windows open . So HT is only option left now for those who don't have a secured parking. Now HT serves two purpose, AC and security . So at least HT is a MUST.

OT: Spike, are there any two versions(one with immobilizer and other without immobilizer) of scoprio or bolero with same engine specs??
Old 16th December 2010, 23:43   #199
Senior - BHPian

Re: I drove the Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
It was a great experiance , Its truely a powerfull beast , the power to weight ratio is so good & ooddels of torque .

I must admit that it impressed me . I have driven Jeeps , Prados, Land Rovers ,Range rover ( once ) & even some heavy weights, But I must admit that this is a wild horse just waiting to take off.
Sudarshan
Dear Sudarshan,
This is actually a tribute to THAR CRDe when you compared it to the legendary vehicles!! Thanks!!

The other day i also took White THAR (yes the same one which often gets spotted lol) to an short off road recee in vasai. I slotted it into first and let it go, it just climbed or rather i must say it just crawled. So much of reserve power and so much of reserve RPM coupled with the engines flexibility....woow!

Plus drive by wire tech just tap on the accelerator, just gives only the power that is actually required! Precise steering and measured power delivery at all times, this is just a delight!!

p.s- Just wish that one thing in that other ADT vehicle becomes a reality
Old 17th December 2010, 02:29   #200
Team-BHP Support

Will it come only in white and the green color? Why not other colors. If Mahindra has only 2 colors in their factory, they can outsource the job to other companies who paint shops with many colors. I do not mind paying 2-3K extra for a yellow or red.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:39   #201
Team-BHP Support

How about the power steering putting strain on front drive train? Will the front CV take the load, especially in offroad situations, where a conventional non PS system limits the strain?

@Vinod: being a modern ECU Crdi engine, crawl factor will be good since the ecu takes care of the inputs and avoids the stall, isn't it? Even my puny swift does that
Old 17th December 2010, 03:36   #202
Senior - BHPian

@ Vinod: More details please. We are still waiting for some news or atleast tell us to remian shaanth for X number of days
Old 17th December 2010, 06:27   #203
Senior - BHPian

Great to know the progress!

One basic question- How come M&M does not feel that in the looks department it should differentiate the THAR from rest of the MM5XX breed?
If the inside is developed so well, why leave exteriors? Why not a good looking(probably Wrangler inspired) outers?
Old 17th December 2010, 07:31   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
OT: Spike, are there any two versions(one with immobilizer and other without immobilizer) of scoprio or bolero with same engine specs??
No both are same.

Spike
Old 17th December 2010, 08:00   #205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You liked both?! Hmmm. Ok. How long did you TD each?
Well, give me another 'invitation' then we will talk , but right now few things are covered under " Unofficial secrets act " ( for well wishers )

Sudarshan
Old 17th December 2010, 08:28   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How about the power steering putting strain on front drive train? Will the front CV take the load, especially in offroad situations, where a conventional non PS system limits the strain?
Just think of Rehaan's scorpio
Old 17th December 2010, 09:52   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@jaggu: I don't think the PS will impact the CV. Besides the Thar comes with a light duty Rack and Pinion steering unit meant for cars and not heavy vehicles. So, thankfully the the steering rack and pinion will be the first to cruble under heavy load before it affects your drive train. If it was a heavy duty worm and roller unit like the ones that do duty in the Tata Range or Mahindra commercial range, you can potentially bend steering rods and chip tires off-road.

But it is a trade off and and I would much rather have power steering with 235 section tires else it can be a really pain as a daily driver. I have used my jeep with 235 tires before I installed PS and wouldn't ever want to go back to the old set up.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:05   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Will it come only in white and the green color? Why not other colors. If Mahindra has only 2 colors in their factory, they can outsource the job to other companies who paint shops with many colors. I do not mind paying 2-3K extra for a yellow or red.
Odd criticism from the man who drives a "Great White Whale". It seems Mahindra&Mahindra offers 100% more color options than you are interested in.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:14   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@jaggu: I don't think the PS will impact the CV. Besides the Thar comes with a light duty Rack and Pinion steering unit meant for cars and not heavy vehicles. So, thankfully the the steering rack and pinion will be the first to cruble under heavy load before it affects your drive train.
Scorpio has rack & pinion, still Rehaan's Scorpio broke a CV joint last week in the Kuttikanam OTR. That is making lot of people think...
Old 17th December 2010, 11:05   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Odd criticism from the man who drives a "Great White Whale". It seems Mahindra&Mahindra offers 100% more color options than you are interested in.
Umm safari comes in red/grey/white/gold/black.....
A lifestyle vehicle needs to look the part, and safari certainly does. And for the record, Mahindra did make a yellow scorpio
Closed Thread

Most Viewed