Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 12:46   #31
BANNED

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys: Since the free wheeling hubs are electric and the Transfer case is manual, I think you need some sort of switch to engage the free wheeling hubs. One of the rotary switches maybe for that. Ford Endy Manual 4WD has a similar set up. Electric Free wheeling hubs operated by a switch. For the Electric Shift Transfer case the switch that engages 4WD also engages free wheeling hubs.
Are you sure sir ? IMHO Thar dosent have 'electrical ' FW hubs ,they are automatic ( & mechanical. )

May be I am wrong ( please correct if I am )
But upon seeing pics I felt they are automatic & mechanical

Sudarshan
Old 11th December 2010, 13:03   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember BD talking about the hubs. They sense the axle moving once put in 4wd and engage. To disengage, shift to 2wd, and reverse and they disengage.

I also remember him saying, "throw them out and put in normal flanges"!
Old 11th December 2010, 13:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Are you sure sir ? IMHO Thar dosent have 'electrical ' FW hubs ,they are automatic ( & mechanical. )
May be I am wrong ( please correct if I am )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I remember BD talking about the hubs. They sense the axle moving once put in 4wd and engage. To disengage, shift to 2wd, and reverse and they disengage.

I stand corrected. Rather than normal flanges, we can easily revert to manual locking hubs (Warn or Indian).

Either way, I am happy really happy that the Transfer case is Mechanical. Every time I use the electric 4WD in the Scorpio, there is about 4 to 5 second delay before the 4WD light switches up in the dash and also when I transfer to Low Range. I am on tender hooks for these few moments, hoping there is no electrical glitch. With mechanical transfer case you can always shift in and out confidently.
Old 11th December 2010, 14:26   #34
BANNED

OT: Now, since the Thar CRDe has been launched with the 4wd version sporting coil springs up front, does it mean that I can use the same transfer case, the front differential and the other aggregates as a bolt on to Hariya(2wd Scorpio)?

Waiting for SPIKE or/and DB, Fazal Saab etc to answer alongwith other experts.
Old 11th December 2010, 15:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Which is what we had on our Thar anyways!

Dad, can we please get rid of the Slab of Chocolate and get one!!
Old 11th December 2010, 17:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
OT: Now, since the Thar CRDe has been launched with the 4wd version sporting coil springs up front, does it mean that I can use the same transfer case, the front differential and the other aggregates as a bolt on to Hariya(2wd Scorpio)?
@devnath: The chasis and front suspension set up is different. This cannot be done safely by a dealer or private workshop at a reasonable cost. For vehicles with IFS and 4WD, it is always cheaper and better to sell and buy the 4WD version.
Old 11th December 2010, 17:48   #37
BHPian

Does the THAR have springs only in the front and leaf springs on the rear? Wish there were springs all round with Disc brakes all round again.
Old 11th December 2010, 17:55   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

why does the Thar look so very poorly finished in comparison to the showcase vehicle at the various auto shows and with all that hype?
Old 11th December 2010, 18:31   #39
BHPian

Yes you are right Shankar,

At the Mumbai Auto show recently, If my recollection is right, the Black display unit did have the Alloys.

The souped up Red Colored vehicle was a customization job by the mahindra subsidiary.

Strange that the alloys are missing from the final outcome.
Old 11th December 2010, 18:36   #40
AWD
BHPian

The response to this thread has been pretty lukewarm. Is it an indication towards something!

Yes the vehicle looks too bare!
Old 11th December 2010, 18:46   #41
BANNED

Arka here, then M&M fear.. LOL. This thread will survive I feel.

Regarding the better looking interiors in Auto Expo, I am sure they were neatly polished hence looked neat and clean.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have also initiated the exchange process for my Bolero with the THAR . If all goes well, will have the THAR within a month of its launch
please update us on the exchange thingy. (i too have 08 SLX )
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
why does the Thar look so very poorly finished in comparison to the showcase vehicle at the various auto shows and with all that hype?
this is what you will get at your nearest showroom at 7L*. (lol)

* = conditions apply.
Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread-mahindra_1.jpg
Old 11th December 2010, 21:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ok nice to know it is coming at a reasonable price. BUT to get it road worthy (in the urban sense) would cost what ? 3 Lacs ? I'd not be seen dead driving a Jeep like that. Why can't it be more like the Wrangler ? People are willing to pay but it seems M&M is hellbound only to cater to the rural or hardcore off-roading enthusiasts.

The engine specs, made me want to own one, but from the looks of it. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

I wish there is an airconditioned, hard top version with an acceptable fit & finish.

Sorry for sounding too "urbane" - I do not see it selling in the Metropolisis for sure !!

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 11th December 2010 at 21:28.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:52   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Sorry for sounding too "urbane" - I do not see it selling in the Metropolisis for sure !!
You ve hit the nail on the head Ricky. The THAR, in its current form "feels" too crude to be family transport even with its PS and AC.
I had hoped M&M would have taken some cues from the market before deciding its cosmetics.
Old 11th December 2010, 22:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
This is the 4x4 version with Air Conditioning and Power Steering, and of course IFS.
No AC, only Heater as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Did you by any chance check the driver's seat for adjustability?
Adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But are sure about the AC? I know it has the vents (bolero dash) and all, but is there a compressor? Can one of the M&M guys confirm? If it has AC, then it is a big surprise.

BTW, alloys were supposedly standard, but here I see steel rims, not that it is a deal breaker.
No compressor / condenser in the current variants. Alloys are optional.

Quote:
BTW this variant is non A/C as the other On-Off switch is for the heater. Need to see what will M&M do factory ordered A/C.
Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
It was revealed, the THAR is A/C ready. The complete plumbing is done. This is done to reduce weight
Reduce weight of what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys: Since the free wheeling hubs are electric and the Transfer case is manual, I think you need some sort of switch to engage the free wheeling hubs.

One potential problem, I see with air conditioning is that the Intercooler is already in front of the radiator. Now if you want to install the AC evaporation coil will also have to placed in front of the radiator. So you will have the AC evaporation coil & Intercooler in front of the radiator which will reduce air flow into the radiator from front.
Those are auto locking hubs similar to your Scorpio 4wd.

The Inter-cooler packaging problem had been foreseen and has been worked upon.

Quote:
I have also initiated the exchange process for my Bolero with the THAR . If all goes well, will have the THAR within a month of its launch
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Waiting for SPIKE or/and DB, Fazal Saab etc to answer alongwith other experts.
Possible, but not recommended.

Spike
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks