Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:05   #166
BHPian

re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 80000 kms up!

Hi 1100D,

First, compliments on an awesomely maintained Marengo. I've got a 4WD 2006 April Dx CRDe, that I affectionately call Fox, and in which I have clocked 1.45 lakh km now.

It's been on its fair share of off-road trails and the first thing to get damaged and hammered back into shape were the steps. But recently, they met their match in the urban jungle, when I was parking at a friend's place. Someone had left a sawn off 1-foot length of pipe in the concrete pavement, and since it was dark, I didn't notice it. While reversing, the rear wheel narrowly missed it (saving my brand new second set of Yoko Geolandar ATs), and that darn pipe then wedged under the step on the left and wrecked it, as well as the front left mud-flap.

Now, I've been toying with the idea of either replacing the step with the same old boring prone-to-bending aluminium unit, or getting nice rock-slider type steps like the ones you have. Do let me know what brand they are, so I can ask for them specifically in the Delhi NCR region. (And after seeing n.devdath and you both successfully running MLD's I'm considering that too).

Cheers,
Roshun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:35   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Hi 1100D,

Now, I've been toying with the idea of either replacing the step with the same old boring prone-to-bending aluminium unit, or getting nice rock-slider type steps like the ones you have. Do let me know what brand they are, so I can ask for them specifically in the Delhi NCR region. (And after seeing n.devdath and you both successfully running MLD's I'm considering that too).

Cheers,
The Aluminimum step is the first one to take hit the moment its taken off-road, second are the moulded mudflaps.

I am not sure if the one on Marengo would qualify to be a rock slider, but its more of a solid side step, with suspenders that can be brought back to shape.

These steps are from the Scorpio Getaway, the rear portion cut and shortened by 6 inches. I prefer things coming from the manufacturer, so is the MLD.

Last weekend Marengo came back from successfully completing a local OTR near our region at Santiniketan, held by the Kolkata offroaders group under guidance from UBS.

Some pictures of Marengo from the event. Though I do not like the fording thing at all, especially with so much electronics/electricals onboard, besides this is a heavy vehicle.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1536.jpg

Just for fun after a few cross runs revealed the track to be smooth!
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_35201.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1472.jpg

In company of the seasoned Offroaders!

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1474.jpg

Marengo crossed this point prior to this and being amongst the first to cross, no pictures.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1477.jpg

Sand, shrubs, slush all part of the game, only Marengo was a family offroader with an airconditioned cabin given the tremendous heat outside.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1508.jpg

Not only a lot of water passes under the bridge, some SUV's did too

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1511.jpg

With wider footprint and lowered Tyre pressure, Marengo did not sink into the sand at all.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1528.jpg

Splash!!
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_35221.jpg

Now ready to take in all the comments/criticism and brickbats!! But then, I have only taken a van offroad!

Last edited by 1100D : 24th May 2013 at 11:39.
1100D is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:54   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
These steps are from the Scorpio Getaway, the rear portion cut and shortened by 6 inches. I prefer things coming from the manufacturer, so is the MLD.
... Now ready to take in all the comments/criticism and brickbats!! But then, I have only taken a van offroad!
Oh well, nothing comes easy I guess, and here I was thinking it would be a bolt on job! As for the MLD, I was present when n.devdath was getting his installed in Hariya in Gurgaon. He too had the same bolt size mismatch problem you faced, but it's been performing flawlessly since.

As for the offroading, I've had few dust-covered jeepers look at me in disgust as I cover the same track in air-conditioned comfort and emerge squeaky clean from the cabin . Best of both worlds, I'd say. Nice pics of your recent OTR!

Cheers,
Old 24th May 2013, 12:17   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Oh well, nothing comes easy I guess, and here I was thinking it would be a bolt on job!
Cheers,
Predominantly it is a bolt on job, given that the suspenders are exact dimensions to Scorpio footstep. The rear portion (horizontal pipe) is a little longer, about 6inches, given that the getaway has the rear wheel pushed backwards by that much. Just chop that portion and weld the bent portion back in and you have this. Any tinkerer can do that for you in half a day.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 21:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

70,000 KMS Update

Time to update the thread, as its been quite a while. Though, not much has taken place on the adventure front, Marengo has added KM's on its Odo, good enough to add few expense items. Its seen a FOC 65K service (which is no longer recommended by Mahindra), and the 70k one.

On the last service update this is what I had mentioned

Quote:
The maintenance expenses at start was Rs 43351, it has been upped by Rs 10283 to Rs 53635. The maintenance cost per km inched up substantially to 89 paise per km. However, till the next major milestone at 80k, this figure is likely to level out to former levels.
A little removed from the truth. The 70k service added Rs 5960, taking the total maintenance expenses to Rs 59595, at 70,000 kms bringing the cost per km just 4.5% down to 85 paise per Km. To correct the former statement, this will probably start going higher now, based on the experience thus far.

As was noted in the last few posts, another Power-window motor had given up, replaced under warranty. As I type now, the Door lock has started going back to hunting mode. Probably, the more than average rainfall this year has had its effect on the electronics.

But beyond all these niggles were few major Items that cropped up.

1> Sudden development (within 1 day) of excessive steering play - Tie rod assemblies replaced under warranty

2> Irratic Speedo

3> Oil seepage from Gearbox front end - again

4> Most importantly : 4WD malfunction - The vehicle would shift to 4wd-High alright, but from 4WD-high to 4WD-Low there used to be issues.

Usually, the routine is, 2wd-"4wd-high" can be done on the fly, but when one needs to shift from 4wd-high to 4wd-low, one needs to be absolutely static (no roll), clutch depressed, then the shifter is shifted, takes about 6 seconds after which the 4wd-high indicator goes out, and the 4WD-Low indicator comes on.

For Marengo what would happen on the very last phase, would be, that both the 4WD-High and 4WD-LOW indicators would remain lit and from the behaviour of the vehicle one can surely feel that the shift has not taken place. But, in this condition, if one shifted the knob back and forth, the same indicators would continue to glow, unless the engine was completely shutdown. In many cases, after the erratic condition, restarting the engine would bring the vehicle finally to 4WD-Low. I had this condition on Marengo in our last OTR as well, thankfully, Marengo had cooperated each time after a few attempts. So this problem was there for sometime.

Had contacted Gajanan Chitale from B&W, he gave me a blink code routine, but before that, we did a customary clutch switch check during the 65k service. My service advisor and the Co-tek person was aware that this was coming in for repairs, sooner or later. Had one Blink code session prior to the 70k service, which indicated on faulty switch connectors. So the 70k service was chosen as the placeholder to get this fixed. The Gearbox anyway would have to be brought down for the oil seepage.

Mohan Motors already had a few parts in stock, which was unusual, as this region hardly has many Electric B&W vehicles, although I was told that they had brought in anticipation of Marengo coming in! Which, although I wouldn't really give it a very serious thinking, but still, felt good!

First up, the Switch connector was replaced and the vehicle initially complied. But out on a drive, the problem was soon back, but, not as certainly as before. So next up would be the actuator motor, which they seemingly had in stock. The GB would anyway have to be opened on the oil seepage issue. Still, the attempt was to find an easy and quick resolution by changing the connector, which did work a bit!

The worst thing about these sessions is that, you know, the vehicle would get back in, the process will take quite a bit of time. Then once done, one would again need to make time out from work to come and test/evaluate the results, with no certainty of a solution (or an indication of how many attempts it would take). But I guess, that is the pitfall of owning an indigenious product. Factored it in, at the time of vehicle purchase itself, but what was not factored in, was the increased difficulty in getting a few hours off from work every now and then. Anyway, coming back to topic. The next day, after the actuator motor was changed, the 4wdlow shift was fine. Continues to be so.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-dsc_0188.jpg

The attached pic indicates the concerned parts, circled!

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-dsc_01891.jpg

A very big thanks to Mohan Motors for keeping the spares handy, I was certain that this resolution would take many days, given that spares would be ordered and we would have to wait for them. But then Marengo was in and out in 2 days flat.

Now coming to the customary breakup of charges for the 70k service beyond the warranty stuff above.

The prices indicated after taxes, however the calculations are a little convoluted. But it all adds up right!

Here goes!

Clip Worm type No-2 (42-55) - Rs 24.64
I/P Shaft Oil Seal - Rs 134.49
Oil Seal Rear Cover - Rs 448.65
Kit O ring Clutch Tube - Rs 14.37
14 no Bolt 2 nos - Rs 16.43
14 No Nut 4 Nos - Rs 19.23
Nyloc Nut 69.52mm (3/8-24) - Rs 8.21
Nitrogen inflatear - Rs 102.67
consumables - Rs 211.84
cleaning chem - Rs 91.33
Rust remove - Rs 178.88
brake oil dot 4 - Rs 87.56
maximile syntec - Rs 691.04
Parts Total - Rs 2029.35

wheel alignment - Rs 336.45
70,000 service - Rs 1660.61
crankshaft front oil seal - Rs 1640.18
transmission rear end oil seal (R & R) - Rs 294.39
Labour Total Rs 3931.64

Total expenses Rs 5961

Lets see if Marengo can put in some action between now and the next maintenance milestone, otherwise the next update will be another mundane one. Oh wait, the central locking issue is coming up next!
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:11   #171
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason I went for MLD vs Diff locks was that I got this done at Mahindra itself, not aftermarket.
1. Hi, 1100D! your thread, which is highly informative and well written, is much appreciated. From what I gather from your thread as well as the LSD vs Diff lock thread, is that MLD(m lock) and ELD(e lock) are both subsets of Limited Slip Differentials, in that, they are activated on the occurence of a limited slip (diffrence in RPM), and once activated they act as a regular fully locked differential until the occurence of another event (speed exceeding a certain kmph) Diff locks, on the other hand, are fully and permanently locked differentials. Kindly let me know if my understanding is correct.
2. Another query is that once you engage 4H or 4L in the scorpio, does the front axle act as an open differential or a locked differential?
3. I am thinking in terms of a Scorpio LX 4x4, with the Eaton MLD since I can ill afford a VLX 4X4, I wonder in it can be ordered with the Captain seats?
4. In the video in post 58 I wonder why the MLD did not kick in on the first day when the rear wheels were in fact spinning hard without traction?
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 00:55   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
1. Hi, 1100D! your thread, which is highly informative and well written, is much appreciated. From what I gather from your thread as well as the LSD vs Diff lock thread, is that MLD(m lock) and ELD(e lock) are both subsets of Limited Slip Differentials, in that, they are activated on the occurence of a limited slip (diffrence in RPM), and once activated they act as a regular fully locked differential until the occurence of another event (speed exceeding a certain kmph) Diff locks, on the other hand, are fully and permanently locked differentials. Kindly let me know if my understanding is correct.
2. Another query is that once you engage 4H or 4L in the scorpio, does the front axle act as an open differential or a locked differential?
3. I am thinking in terms of a Scorpio LX 4x4, with the Eaton MLD since I can ill afford a VLX 4X4, I wonder in it can be ordered with the Captain seats?
4. In the video in post 58 I wonder why the MLD did not kick in on the first day when the rear wheels were in fact spinning hard without traction?
1> While the difference of RPM bit is correct, Limited Slip Differential, MLD and ELD are all different from each other in both concept as well as operation. Limited Slip is not a complete lock, whereas MLD is a full-hard-lock. LSD being clutch based, looses effectiveness with time as well as doesn't transfer full power.

2> Front axle is Open differential, generally front axle is best left open. For part-time 4x4 like the scorpio, any 4wd operation is equivalent to center-diff-lock (much like 4LLC on Pajeros)

3> The LX 4X4 is a wonderful proposition, gives you the choice to add what you like and omit what you dont. I would have bought a LX if they made one those days. Just make sure, you add the rear wash wipe to the vehicle as the vehicle kicks up a lot of muck on the rear screen, rendering visibility problems on long drives, unless the rear wiper is used. LX is not available with captain seats, however you can ask them to give u a dealer fitment option (but make sure you ask for it, prior to booking and get it in writing and stick to it)

4> Day 1 was shot prior to the MLD installation. Day 2 was shot after MLD installation.

Some recent pics of Marengo, excuse cellphone picture quality

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-dsc_02801.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-dsc_0285.jpg
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 09:01   #173
Team-BHP Support

How has the Yoko Geolander performed? I am a bit skeptical because of the side walls.
Old 7th December 2013, 08:50   #174
BHPian

Quote:
1> While the difference of RPM bit is correct, Limited Slip Differential, MLD and ELD are all different from each other in both concept as well as operation. Limited Slip is not a complete lock, whereas MLD is a full-hard-lock. LSD being clutch based, looses effectiveness with time as well as doesn't transfer full power.

2> Front axle is Open differential, generally front axle is best left open. For part-time 4x4 like the scorpio, any 4wd operation is equivalent to center-diff-lock (much like 4LLC on Pajeros)

3> The LX 4X4 is a wonderful proposition, gives you the choice to add what you like and omit what you dont. I would have bought a LX if they made one those days. Just make sure, you add the rear wash wipe to the vehicle as the vehicle kicks up a lot of muck on the rear screen, rendering visibility problems on long drives, unless the rear wiper is used. LX is not available with captain seats, however you can ask them to give u a dealer fitment option (but make sure you ask for it, prior to booking and get it in writing and stick to it)

4> Day 1 was shot prior to the MLD installation. Day 2 was shot after MLD installation.

Some recent pics of Marengo, excuse cellphone picture quality

Attachment 1174685

Attachment 1174686
Thanks! 1100D, the info provided is really useful and will be utilised when the actual buying time comes (waiting for the W105, maybe they'll offer ABS in LX too). I never knew that rear wash and wipe can also be retrofitted? Ill get it for sure. Your photographs are breathtaking, to say the least. I particularly liked the one where the front right wheel of the vehicle is propped on top of a boulder, wonder what camera you use. And yes, as a matter of fact, we too had a Fiat 1100D, purchased in 1972, brand new, DHB 1986, Sardine Nimbus colour, RIP.
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 12:07   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How has the Yoko Geolander performed? I am a bit skeptical because of the side walls.
Your scepticism is not misplaced. I have shifted from Geolandars to this and so far, it has done two extreme trips (one being Sandakphu-Phalut) and still no sign of any injury whatsoever

Quote:
I never knew that rear wash and wipe can also be retrofitted? Ill get it for sure. Your photographs are breathtaking, to say the least. I particularly liked the one where the front right wheel of the vehicle is propped on top of a boulder, wonder what camera you use. And yes, as a matter of fact, we too had a Fiat 1100D, purchased in 1972, brand new, DHB 1986, Sardine Nimbus colour, RIP.
I have seen one LX with rear wiper and combination switch from the SLe vehicle, so it definitely can be done, provided you push upfront and not give up convincing them at the time of sales.

Regarding the pics, they are usually taken by a basic Canon Powershot camera or my Sony Mobile phone. But thanks for liking them anyway! (The boulder pic you're referring to, is it one from the three reposted above in this post? or something else?)
Old 9th December 2013, 18:19   #176
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen one LX with rear wiper and combination switch from the SLe vehicle, so it definitely can be done, provided you push upfront and not give up convincing them at the time of sales.

Regarding the pics, they are usually taken by a basic Canon Powershot camera or my Sony Mobile phone. But thanks for liking them anyway! (The boulder pic you're referring to, is it one from the three reposted above in this post? or something else?)
Hello 1100D,
1. I'll kep that wash and wipe thing in mind when closing the deal
2. I am referring to the two photographs in you post no. 110.
3. Pray, who is 'UBS Sir' whom you all refer to so affectionately? Tell me a little about his claim to fame
Old 9th December 2013, 23:02   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. Pray, who is 'UBS Sir' whom you all refer to so affectionately? Tell me a little about his claim to fame
Till 1100D responds, you can read all about him here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...river-4x4.html
Old 10th December 2013, 11:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello 1100D,
1. I'll kep that wash and wipe thing in mind when closing the deal
2. I am referring to the two photographs in you post no. 110.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Till 1100D responds, you can read all about him here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...river-4x4.html

Thanks Dry Ice for doing the honors!

Anyways, Marengo has completed 3 years of faithful service, has not so far (touchwood) not let me down. On its third Birthday morning, he woke up being greeted by the mighty Kanchenjungha peak.

If interested, one can read more about it on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...arjeeling.html
Old 18th December 2013, 08:25   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thanks solid CO2, now I know why UBS is revered! He's light and surefooted like a willys himself.
Old 24th December 2013, 13:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Re: 70,000 KMS Update

Quote:
A little removed from the truth. The 70k service added Rs 5960, taking the total maintenance expenses to Rs 59595, at 70,000 kms bringing the cost per km just 4.5% down to 85 paise per Km. To correct the former statement, this will probably start going higher now, based on the experience thus far.
!
Unpredictability again.

Marengo added the 75,000 milestone and has completed the 75k service checkpoint.

Interestingly going by observations over last few months, I anticipated few more things needing attention, there was also a bad-road/offroad adventure trip in the intervening time. Touchwood it did not.

The 75k Service costed only 398 and what was added was only two license plate bulbs. Brakes, Suspension, electricals all fine.

So the stats now stand at Rs 59993 at 75,000kms. Cost per km comes down to 80 paise per km.

Maybe Marengo actually likes adventure and hence stays healthier that way!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks