Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2014, 01:10   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!

Well, the protagonist of this thread, the vehicle in the pic below, named Marengo just celebrated its 4th Birthday yesterday and has also been through another significant Milestone

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_6997.jpg

The milestone in question is this.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_50631.jpg

Will dwelve into the service costs associated with the 100k milestone. Though it has been on the higher side due to the Tensioner replacement recommended at this point.

The cost items are itemised below

Tensioner Assembly Automatic - Rs. 3216
Front shock absorber 2 nos - Rs. 3082
Tensioner assembly drive belt - Rs. 2215
Maximile FEO 5 LITERS - Rs. 1660
Fuel Filter Cartridge - Rs. 1495
Maximile Brake fluid - Rs. 396
Maximile FEO 1 ltr - Rs. 332
Rust remove - Rs. 250
Maximile ultracool 1 ltr - Rs. 245
Consumables - Rs. 225
Dconsumable - Rs. 222
Oil seal front hub - Rs. 222
Maximile Universe oil filter - Rs. 166
Bush stabiliser Bar - Rs. 158
Maximile grease - Rs. 139
Bush Stabiliser Bar rear - Rs. 134
KIT Shock absorber bushing front - Rs. 133
5 Copper Washer M14 - Rs. 60
Clevis pin pedal - Rs. 20

Parts Total - Rs. 14370

Labour
100000 service - Rs. 5213.504

Total 100k service expenses = Rs. 19583.504

Expenses till 96k milestone was Rs. 99668.5
Expenses at the 100k milestone is Rs. 119252

Maintenance cost per Km till date at the 100k milestone is Rs 1.19 Per Km

The vehicle has been niggle free since last posting. However, Marengo saw another significant change, the tyres. Marengo is now again back to stock tyre profile but this time through these fabulous Michelin LTX AT2 tyres.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_4645.jpg

So far the AT2's have been fantastic both in terms of onroad and offroad performance. The vehicle already has made two hill trips on these on very bad road conditions.

There was an OTR conducted recently, where a steep climb was done at walking pace, probably due to the fantastic grip offerred by the LTX AT2

A video of the same climb (its actually about 10 feet tall and very difficult to be made on foot)

However, post this OTR, there was a small underbody hit, while carrying passengers, on what was seemingly a non-threatening terrain. The underbody hit resulted in a deformed fuel tank and thus a blocked fuel Strainer, robbing Marengo of Fuel. As I type this, Marengo is in the workshop awaiting a new Fuel tank, will be back tomorrow.

To end this post, here is a picture of Marengo, posing at a place in West Sikkim called Yangtey, with a moonlit Mt Kanchenjungha in the background.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_72622.jpg

Marengo will continue its Gallop!

Last edited by 1100D : 4th December 2014 at 01:14.
1100D is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 19:20   #197
BHPian

Re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!

Congratulations to you and Morengo for achieving such a wonderful milestone! Wish you two walk many more miles together and happily

I have couple of quick question regarding tyres.

1) I am also considering the possibility of upsizing the shoes on my Storme. Therefore, I would like to understand your rationale behind going back to stock sized tyres.

2) If I remember correctly, Morengo earlier had Geolanders. How do you compare them to the LTXs in terms of on-road noise, mileage and comfort and grip on loose soil and slush?

Your valuable input will be immensely helpful in my decision making.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 14:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Marengo is now again back to stock tyre profile but this time through these fabulous Michelin LTX AT2 tyres.
How much you paid for Michelin LTX AT2 ? My Michelins (same LTX AT2) are end of their life and i may need to change them before monsoon.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:35   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Congratulations to you and Morengo for achieving such a wonderful milestone! Wish you two walk many more miles together and happily

I have couple of quick question regarding tyres.

1) I am also considering the possibility of upsizing the shoes on my Storme. Therefore, I would like to understand your rationale behind going back to stock sized tyres.

2) If I remember correctly, Morengo earlier had Geolanders. How do you compare them to the LTXs in terms of on-road noise, mileage and comfort and grip on loose soil and slush?

Your valuable input will be immensely helpful in my decision making.

Well its a little complex now as I do not have an immediate memory of the Geolandars, as I did during the last switch to the 771. But having said that, lets take into consideration this report from the last time regarding the Geolandar.

Quote:
Having used the 771 AT's for a few days, would reserve my feedback till I have driven more.

As such, as I said, apart from the weak sidewall issue, I was actually quite happy with the Geolandars. The cushioning, the progressive feel with those tyres, as the rear wheel lost lateral traction on a corner being taken at speed, was actually quite intoxicating. That "feel" could not have been generated unless it was engineered into the tyre, its compound, its treat pattern and its layers.

Just that on open fields, had to watch out for those short stumps, jutting and pointed rocks.

SS-Traveller had once demonstrated to me how the sidewall on the Geolandar gets pinched on a pavement climb. Yes the first thing I checked on the 771, was to check how does it hold up climbing midway into a pavement and found it to be stronger than the geolandar with lower sidewall flex.

But having said that, my Geolandars flew me over 53000 kms in comfort and fun. Some of those kilometers were spent doing this!!

So hats off to the Geolandars, but the sun has set behind them for me, will surely miss them.
And this one for the 771,

Quote:
Its still someway to go before the tyres bed-in. But as of now, I am not too happy with the feel. Although grip is definitely higher, not sure if that is a result of a better tyre or wider rubber.

Anyway one little feedback on the tyres, in the way it has helped Marengo, is reduced suspension sway. Its quite apparent, probably the stiffer sidewall acts as a better damper.
Trying to match these with the LTX AT2, I would say, since I was predominantly a steering feedback driven driver, I was a little upset with the switch to the Bravo 771. The on-road feel was definitely higher on the Geolandar than the 771 and that feel is back with the LTX AT2.

Grip wise, the 771 was better, probably helped by fatter rubber. Suspension sway was also better contained with the 771. But as I said, the tyres made the steering feel mostly inert and some of the agility was lost.

Now, one might very logically argue about the need of a 2+ton SUV to be agile, but it was just a personal preference, to have a little bit of a progressive feel back. I am again, not too sure if I am cornering faster on the LTX AT2 than the 771, but I am sure doing it with more education from the tyre.

And on this count, I would probably recall that the Geolandars offered better feedback, or probably the vehicle was brand new that time.

The LTX AT2 cushions potholes as good and has been through two North Bengal/Sikkim trips early in its life, no cuts/bruises. So definitely they are tough tyres, but still early days.

One thing, for sure, straight line braking and even swerving while braking is better on the LTX AT2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
How much you paid for Michelin LTX AT2 ? My Michelins (same LTX AT2) are end of their life and i may need to change them before monsoon.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Since there was a fiasco during the last switch, I did get a special price on the LTX AT2 which I have been asked not to disclose, but I guess, with discount it will come to around 8k per tyre.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:55   #200
BHPian

Quote:
One thing, for sure, straight line braking and even swerving while braking is better on the LTX AT2.
Thanks for your valuable feedback Anirban Da. Your feedback is going to be immensely helpful in my decision making.
Old 12th December 2014, 17:01   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Thanks for your valuable feedback Anirban Da. Your feedback is going to be immensely helpful in my decision making.
You are welcome. Since you have the Safari, I thought that line would be of interest to you.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 00:50   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
My friend recently got the LTX AT2 for his Thar (235/70/R15), which I think has the same tyre profie as the previous generation Scorpio, for Rs 8000 per tyre.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 10:57   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
My friend recently got the LTX AT2 for his Thar (235/70/R15), which I think has the same tyre profie as the previous generation Scorpio, for Rs 8000 per tyre.
Thank you for update. Thar/Scorpio (other than M2Di) come with 235/70/16 and i am using the same size on my Bolero.

Shubhendra
Old 27th February 2015, 21:45   #204
Senior - BHPian

Marengo stands at 108600 kms precisely now. However, touchwood, from the last update, till present, there hasn't been any malfunction on the part of the vehicle.

And its not that, it hasn't been used in this period. Within this short while, it did trips to Ghatsila/Galudih (through horrible roads, those familiar with Baharagora-Jamshedpur strech will know), participated in Recce for an OTR, then an OTR itself and to top it all, a trip to Darjeeling with a last minute decision, on the last day, to visit the challenging destination, Sandakphu.

One can read about it here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-reloaded.html

All without a hiccup.

Quote:
Expenses at the 100k milestone is Rs. 119252
So the expenses have remained static and hence the cost per km has come down a bit to Rs 1.09 per km, which isn't particularly bad, given that the vehicle in question is not Babied around and its over 4 years old with more than 108600 kms old.

However, there seems to be another Achilles heel that is introducing itself.

Just to recall, in the end of November, post an OTR, Marengo did have a Fuel Tank hit.

Quote:
However, post this OTR, there was a small underbody hit, while carrying passengers, on what was seemingly a non-threatening terrain. The underbody hit resulted in a deformed fuel tank and thus a blocked fuel Strainer, robbing Marengo of Fuel. As I type this, Marengo is in the workshop awaiting a new Fuel tank, will be back tomorrow.
Now, after the last OTR even, Marengo has had another underbody hit. Luckily the hit did not deform the tank enough, to rob its fuel supply. However, in cases, where Marengo is being beached in Sand, the delta deformation of the tank (from which it springs back to shape, once out of the situation) is causing the engine to stall and not start up.

The Culprit is this part. Its a Fuel Tank Guard, that is specific to 4WD Scorpio's of its time.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0227.jpg

The Guard was protecting the tank, so far, all these years. But over time, it has gathered rust and lost its rigidity. So any underbody hit is transferred to the tank.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0229.jpg

In December, when we placed order for the Tank and a replacement Fuel Tank Guard, the one (guard) that arrived, was an incompatible one. The replacement is yet to arrive. Besides, looking at the design of it, and the terrain Marengo does frequently, thought of experimenting a bit.

Got this Fabricated, its got 10 longitudinal, 2mm thick and 10mm wide steel bars joined together by similar bars. Expecting the arrangement to serve as a slider.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0216.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0218.jpg

The bent lower surface of the new tank

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0226.jpg

So lets see how this holds up.

However, on a positive note, some pictures of Marengo from the Intervening period.

Marengo at Ghatsila

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_7961.jpg

Marengo at Barudih Dam

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_8036.jpg

Marengo at Harinkhola OTR

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0196.jpg

Marengo on loose sand on highway tyre pressure! (Just for the sake of it)

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_0202.jpg

Will end this post with a picture of Marengo on the gruelling route to Sandakphu.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_92531.jpg

Just pray, he continues to gallop on for me and all of us!!
1100D is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 12:35   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Witnessed few off-roading capabilities of Marengo yet again.

A pic of air-borne Marengo.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_4522.jpg
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 19:45   #206
BHPian

Out of curosity!
How does Scorpio 4wd fares against Duster AWD. I am surprised none of the auto magzines have done such a comparison.
Old 13th April 2015, 20:13   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Witnessed few off-roading capabilities...
Wow! That's a lot of air below the wheels!

Any issue with the suspensions / engine mounts / gearbox mounts / anything else after the landing?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 20:17   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Out of curosity!
How does Scorpio 4wd fares against Duster AWD. I am surprised none of the auto magzines have done such a comparison.
In terms of pulling power in Offroad situations, Scorpio 4wd benefits from a low range gear ratio, which can be utilised both forward and backward. However the Duster AWD also has a short first gear, allowing it good pulling power in forward direction, but reverse is pretty standard. So practically, a Duster AWD is a very happy compromise between adequate offroadability and very good onroad manners, however how reliable it is, electronics wise, is still a matter of time before we form an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Wow! That's a lot of air below the wheels!

Any issue with the suspensions / engine mounts / gearbox mounts / anything else after the landing?
The reason why you see so much air below the wheels is because (I realised later) that Marengo did not have its front wheels powered and was requiring more momentum to do the slope than other times, was wrongly attributing it to the slippery ground. The front left axle had given away. I got the suspension components checked up as someone did mention a clank on the third climb. All fine. Marengo has seen steeper and trickier climbs than this.

Last edited by 1100D : 13th April 2015 at 20:33.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 16:59   #209
Senior - BHPian

Samba,

Very informational and impressive story and explanations, Morengo does look good on air! Thanks for sharing so much on maintenance too. I keep an excel sheet of all expenses above 50/- my maintenance expenses for Mhwak is about 0.63/ till now, would climb once the extended warranty is over this August, the warranty has absorbed about 65 K of replacements FOC, so far.

I'm with M&M for a long time, had a 2x4 Crde for 4 years, 90 K kms, with drives throughout the country to most places, except north east. Loved it for what it does at the price it does.

Had Geolanders, got one tyre sidewall ripped in Ladakh from a surprisingly innocent looking stone, 2 others met the same fate on a Bhuj run, less innocent looking stones on road sides, had to tube both of them in one trip! Good bye Geolanders, IMO, they do have a sidewall problem.

My Mhwak, LXI, 4x4, has done 63 K, 4 years, mild to moderate off road action, hope to take this off road more often. My MM550 does the duty now, but once its sold off soon, Mhwak will take its position to a large extent till I get another Jeep/ Thar. My fear also are the running boards, will replace with sliders from Getaway like you did, and the mudflaps. The front fiber bumper is also taking a hit, cramps the approach angle a lot, wondering how to fix that? May be a custom built metal one? Ive seen you doing it on stock bumpers! No problems?

The fuel tank protection needs a look see on mine, will take a look see for options you have done, tnx for the idea.

Was on OE Duelers, Ok, but now changed to Continental Cross, awesome tyres with more rubber and grip IMO, on twisties, mountains, rain it feels so much better and confidence inspiring.

My 4x4 switch and motor had problems, prior to sealing it up with silicon gel, the same cranky lights-off -physically-engaged demon, did a successful Ladakh after sealing, working well even after fording deep... touch wood!

I change engine Oil every 5-7 K kms, what I used to do for my earlier Crde too with Maximile. I believe it helps reduce wear n tear considerably and also gives you resale value as the VIN check by prospective buyer at the ASC gives him/ her history of maintenance and care.. worked for me well, got a great price for my Crde.

Watching yours and others inputs closely here.

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 31st May 2015 at 17:02.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 12:53   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Samba,

Very informational and impressive story and explanations, Morengo does look good on air! Thanks for sharing so much on maintenance too. I keep an excel sheet of all expenses above 50/- my maintenance expenses for Mhwak is about 0.63/ till now, would climb once the extended warranty is over this August, the warranty has absorbed about 65 K of replacements FOC, so far.
By the way, the thread and the vehicle concerned belongs to 1100D (Me!) and not Samba. The fabulous shot of Marengo in air was shot by Samba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Had Geolanders, got one tyre sidewall ripped in Ladakh from a surprisingly innocent looking stone, 2 others met the same fate on a Bhuj run, less innocent looking stones on road sides, had to tube both of them in one trip! Good bye Geolanders, IMO, they do have a sidewall problem.

Watching yours and others inputs closely here.

--Ramky
=======
I had similar stories with the Geolandars and have promised to myself never to return to them. Presently on Michelin LTX AT2 which are very good and offers a very good mix of Highway and offroad capabilities on a stock profile.

Marengo has just completed an issueless HP trip covering 7462kms to Spiti/Kaza, Mughal Road and back. Ownership wise, nothing to report on.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks