Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 15:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Most Practical MM540

Vijay that's a lovely looking jeep you have at your disposal mate. Impressive job and very tastefully done .
Old 24th January 2011, 15:29   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Vijay that's a lovely looking jeep you have at your disposal mate. Impressive job and very tastefully done .
From one Vijay to another,eh ?!
Old 24th January 2011, 15:38   #33
BHPian

Hey Vijay,

Were you there at Babu's workshop last Saturday ? I think I saw this jeep there.

I had come with my MM540 to get the rear spring plates re-cambered.

Cheers

KD
Old 24th January 2011, 18:43   #34
BHPian

Superb Jeep Vijay! Great stance. Superb ride. Where did you get the work done? Any Before shots of the jeep?
Old 25th January 2011, 02:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

What is that square thing on the roof above the passenger seat?
I think its the roof hatch (as mentioned in the list of features in the first post).

Awesome looking jeep !
Old 25th January 2011, 18:31   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vijay, I just wanted to stop by and say, man you got taste! This is one of the best modified 540's (read = NOT overdone) I've seen in recent time. Just the right amount of mods, and an extremely purposeful stance. A true Classic.

Question : Are you running an electric radiator fan?

4 suggestions:

- The ol' CJ3B style rear lamps will really suit your Jeep

- Doubt the rear mud flaps are serving any purpose. Remove?

- Chrome horns stick out like a sore thumb

- Air intake can use some more finesse
Old 26th January 2011, 12:51   #37
BHPian

Congrats ! That's one practical brute machine you've got there buddy - beats the pants out of some that i've seen

Have a question for you - did your electrical work include putting in an FICD [Fast Idle Control Device] ?

I'm learning the hard way* that A/Cs on MM5*s require this in place to ensure the alternator replenishes the battery charge - especially in stop-start city traffic.

*hard way = my (new) battery died on me in 1.5 hrs of mumbai traffic - the alternator does a great job otherwise

While on this - can some of the wise forum folk chime in what the FICD mod involves - some details would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Old 26th January 2011, 19:15   #38
BHPian

I have found images of my jeep before transformation and will post it
tonight.I havent taken any images of the interiors and hence will be able to do it over the weekend.

To answer some of the questions asked

1-Mechanically (pin to pin) is built and maintained by India Garage.Although they dont do mods I managed to get them to fit the PS unit as well.I even get my wheel alignment done there.They are a bit expensive but at the end of the day I prefer spending Rs.100 once than Rs.10 ten times and all the hassel,time and frustration that comes with local mechanics.They have also given me a 1 year guarantee on the engine.

2-Electricals is done by a guy called Tabrez (near Babu's auto garage).He is very good and neat with his work.No hanging wires and he does not compromise on quality.If the job is greater than a day I get Tabrez to work at home.

3-Tinkering (Fitting of accessories) Shamu (near Babu's auto garage).He only does the accessories.I was luck to get a vehicle with minimum corossion and for whatever was left I got it done at LC Kannan behind the Al-Ameen college.Shamu is slow but very good at his work and imaginative.If the task takes more than a day I get Shamu to come home and complete it.

4.Babu's Garage.-Shabeer is a great guy very resourceful and I used to get my Williys done there.After my shift to India Garage, I (touch wood) have had zero and I mean zero mechanical issues including leaks from the gearbox,engine sump or differentials.
I use Babu's garage to park my vehicle when I am getting any electrical/fittings to be added on.

4-I have also installed a FICD unit for the AC and this helps increase the RPM when the AC is switched on.The device pulls the accelerator cable and one can tweak the amount by which the RPM needs to be increased.Use the FICD unit of a TATA Sumo as its a perfect fit.

I have also put in a Tata Safari alternator which charges the battery really quick and is able to take the load.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 27th January 2011, 16:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Excellent mods. Please PM me the costs as post Thar am thinking of getting a 540 done up myself. Anyway, its one of the best jobs I have seen done on a jeep and that too very practical. Please share the detail interior pictures as well as different angle pictures of the jeep.
Old 28th January 2011, 20:48   #40
BHPian

man you are the MAN. This comes to me as the most thought out, practical, purposeful looking and a thinking man's JEEP. And I am sure all this has come over a period of time and experience of using this magnificent machine. Love it, now for me its only to think and do this for myself, when is the question too, and I too have the same hobby. Just that I can never take it to work.
Old 29th January 2011, 17:57   #41
BHPian

fantastic jeep, vijay. congratulations on an excellent job. just a small clarification..your new axles are from which vehicle and what is the current wheel track? thanks in advance!!
Old 31st January 2011, 10:50   #42
BHPian

Awesome looking Jeep.

Was curious about two aspects, how effective is the a/c? Does your typical terrain inlcude slush or wet mud tracks, and if so, what has your experience been with the tyres? Thanks
Old 31st January 2011, 23:07   #43
BHPian

Awesome work. The stars, the HQ1 and the olive green- all give it the solid military flavor.
Please post interior pics too.

Also, post a pic with the soft top off. That should be quite a looker.

Cheers
Tab
Old 1st February 2011, 00:09   #44
BHPian

-The A/C is very very effective and it cools the interior very fast.

-The typical terrain I travel in the forest is wet mud and the occasional slush.I have never got stuck so far (touch wood).
What I like is the ride on tar....very quiet and smooth.

I have posted a few pics of the vehicle before restoration and will need to take a few pics of the interior and with the top off,will endeavour to do so this week end.

Regards...
Attached Thumbnails
The Most Practical MM540-img_08551.jpg  

The Most Practical MM540-img_0857.jpg  

The Most Practical MM540-img_0858.jpg  

The Most Practical MM540-img_0859.jpg  

The Most Practical MM540-img_0866.jpg  

The Most Practical MM540-img_0869.jpg  

The Most Practical MM540-img_0875.jpg  

Old 1st February 2011, 20:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

holly! molly! the transformation is amazing.You or your mechanic are a visionary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks