Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 00:28   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Re: My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California

OMG! What a beauty! I never seen such a clean & beautiful restoration of a “vintage” car. The wheels, interior, steering wheel, looks just brilliant overall.

I feel so Nostalgic. When I was in school, we too were lower middle-class family and we couldn’t afford a car. My father’s boss at work, had a padmini Premier car from the company. I had been in that car(back-seat) many times. This brings back so many of those memories. The car’s engine was noisy compared to today’s MPFI petrols, but it did not feel harsh inside, had good acceleration and it even handled the broken country side roads very well. 15 years later when my father got a car from the company, this car was not on sale in India and the only option was Maruti-800 MPFI petrol.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 00:58   #47

Wonderful restoration, looks like it is just out of the showroom. Please share the name of the paint shade.
Ramdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 03:03   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Have been on Team BHP for almost a decade now, and sometimes I think I have seen it all. But every once in a while, a thread shows up which makes one stop and think and say, “This is incredible”. Your restoration of the Fiat 1100 and the wonderful way in which you have shared your labor of love with us certainly falls in that category.

I must admit I am not a huge fan of the Fiat / Padmini - perhaps because of how dirty and polluting the typical Bombay black and yellow cab was. But I did learn driving on a Fiat - and when I see one restored like this, with the wonderfully clean seats, and white wall tyres, one begins to realise that this was indeed a piece of wonderful Italian design. Thanks for having shared this with us.
Thank you for your kind words. They made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Thank you for this beautiful Lock Screen wallpaper.

Attachment 2087089

People like you must live for years and years , at least 150 years.
You are welcome. Happy to see this as a wall paper. Thank you for your wishes. I wish the same to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
What a great looking car, man. Also, could you mention what are the reactions of people there to your ride? Are they very curious when you park somewhere?
I haven't parked it anywhere besides my own garage, I do get a lot of questions when people pass by when the garage is open. I will take it out once the winter is over to get those reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Do you have any plans to put your car's video on YouTube? It will surely be a great hit I'm sure. Would be a delight to watch it in moving frames.
Makes me also ask you, do you plan to get an amby too?
That is a good idea. Will certainly do that and post a link here. Will have to wait for the right weather. I am also waiting for a drone to be delivered to take some aerial shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
OMG! What a beauty! I never seen such a clean & beautiful restoration of a “vintage” car. The wheels, interior, steering wheel, looks just brilliant overall.

I feel so Nostalgic. When I was in school, we too were lower middle-class family and we couldn’t afford a car. My father’s boss at work, had a padmini Premier car from the company. I had been in that car(back-seat) many times. This brings back so many of those memories. The car’s engine was noisy compared to today’s MPFI petrols, but it did not feel harsh inside, had good acceleration and it even handled the broken country side roads very well. 15 years later when my father got a car from the company, this car was not on sale in India and the only option was Maruti-800 MPFI petrol.
So many of us have such similar stories. Happy that this stoked some memories. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdas View Post
Wonderful restoration, looks like it is just out of the showroom. Please share the name of the paint shade.
Thank you. It is Tesla Sunset Red PPMR.
passanha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 06:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Passanha,
Thanks for a more detailed review - this car is a smashing hit. I can't wait to see it in person. I forgot to ask in your intro thread - does you car have a 3 or 4 speed column mounted transmission?

Cheers
LC123
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi Passanha,
Thanks for a more detailed review - this car is a smashing hit. I can't wait to see it in person. I forgot to ask in your intro thread - does you car have a 3 or 4 speed column mounted transmission?

Cheers
LC123
Thank you.
It is 4 speed, column mounted shift lever.
passanha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 19:56   #51
BHPian

What a beauty!! People here have described their sentiments much better than I can but suffice to say that I absolutely share the same sentiments.

2 things stand out for me:

a) My father once owned this and I have such beautiful memories of this. So this thread connects me to my past.

b) It is my dream to be able to own a classic car and then restore it to its complete glory. So this thread also connects me with my future!!!

I would also recommend that if possible get Doug DeMuro to review your car. He is settled in California so it should be easy to connect with him. He has a very popular YouTube channel and huge followers enough for him to earn an invite from Jay Leno. He can be reached via his Twitter handle or via carsandbids.com.

I am sure you are well aware that you have a beauty in your hand and a real classic gem, preserve it, love it and cherish it forever.

Happy miles to you and congratulations for an awesome job done.
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:02   #52
BHPian

This looks amazing. I also went through a FIAT 1100 restoration and now this makes me feel guilty for selling it.

Outstanding paint and interior job.
Rubbertramps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:33   #53
BHPian

Loved reading about your Fiat project and enjoyed viewing the photos.

I think a lot of us who are now in our 40's / 50's would've learnt to drive on a Fiat / Premier or an Ambassador so these photos bring back a lot of memories.

Ignoring the originality aspect of the colour - to me it looks lovely. A purist might not be very happy with what you've done to the car however my thoughts are a car should look good and that's the main thing. It need not look exactly how it did when the company made it. I'm all for something that is aesthetically pleasing.

Do keep us updated on any further changes / work on the car, long drives etc.
theqca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 10:18   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What a car!
I am just overcome.
Dad had one of these 1100D’s when I was born. (A grey-blue) His was a 1967 or 1968 model. My Uncle had one of these 1100D’s too and that was a 1966 or 1967 model. (A black). Problem is all those old photos have been so safely tucked away that I simply cannot find any of them.
There are many of these and its brothers and cousins in India. But very few of them are in this level of superlative condition.
California’s dry and temperate climate will ensure this vehicle remains well preserved for many years to come.
Wishing you many happy, trouble-free miles!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th August 2023 at 10:19.
Old 11th August 2023, 21:25   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by passanha View Post
I am starting this thread since there was a lot of interest in knowing more about my 1964 Fiat 1100D. Let me share some initial information and I can then answer more questions.
The Centy Toys chaps in India have started this retro revival of scale models of these cars. There is a whole thread on this.
I would love for you to have one to keep along with your real one. See these pics. I believe they are going to be released on August 15 this year. I will be happy to try and get it for you. Only thing is how to reach it to you to California through an ‘inexpensive’ transportation method.

Imagine if Jay Leno were to feature you on his car channel. He already has a Fiat Millicento. It would be great if he could also feature your gorgeous Fiat.

Attached Thumbnails
My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-3ab2b2821a024ee4bfc32952bf7ae484.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th August 2023 at 21:50.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 14:24   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Centy Toys chaps in India have started this retro revival of scale models of these cars. There is a whole thread on this.
I would love for you to have one to keep along with your real one. See these pics. I believe they are going to be released on August 15 this year. I will be happy to try and get it for you. Only thing is how to reach it to you to California through an ‘inexpensive’ transportation method.

Imagine if Jay Leno were to feature you on his car channel. He already has a Fiat Millicento. It would be great if he could also feature your gorgeous Fiat.

https://Youtu.be/-Uk-qkmCXRc
I would really love to have a replica, please let me know where I can buy it. Thank you for taking time to leave a meaningful comment, made my day, thanks.
Old 12th August 2023, 15:23   #57
BANNED

Quote:
I would really love to have a replica, please let me know where I can buy it. Thank you for taking time to leave a meaningful comment, made my day, thanks.
Good. I already ordered this red and white one (pictured) for you (in anticipation of exactly the above reply which I was sure you would give), through my friend last night. I should get it in some days. Let me know how to reach it to you.
All the best!
Attached Thumbnails
My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-3ab2b2821a024ee4bfc32952bf7ae484.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:36   #58
BANNED

These Fiat 1100/ Premier Padmini cars are now available on Amazon India and on Flipkart and they are priced very affordably indeed. Im still waiting for the ones I had ordered through my friend, to reach me.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4736.png  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4734.png  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4738.png  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4739.png  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th August 2023 at 14:44.
Old 29th August 2023, 05:47   #59
BANNED

Quote:
I am starting this thread since there was a lot of interest in knowing more about my 1964 Fiat 1100D. Let me share some initial information and I can then answer more questions.]
I have bought 5 of these Fiat Scale Model Toys including two Red and White ones, two Dark Blue and White ones and one pale blue and white (similar to what my Father had when I was born.)
These are generally for my own collection and one Red and white one was bought with you in mind. They are made of plastic and look very nice but are pretty lightweight and are not like the high quality scale models from the big brands.
I don’t know how to reach it to you though, which is why I had asked about this in my last couple of posts.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4868.jpeg  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4869.jpeg  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4870.jpeg  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4871.jpeg  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4872.jpeg  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4867.jpeg  

My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California-img_4873.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks