Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Bt'win ROCK RIDER 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I thought I'd write up a review of the B'Twin Rockrider 5.0
Thank you guys for such awesome & detailed reviews.

I have been delaying the purchase of a bike due to the wide array of options in the market. Somehow never wanted to plonk a large amount until I properly get into the groove of daily cycling. Currently doing around 15kms on a (almost) daily basis - idea is to up the ante.

Thanks to your frank reviews and feedback from cyclist friends, last week I got myself a Rockrider 5.0 finally and the verdict is I'm loving it I won't go into a detailed review - you guys have covered most of it.

Additional goodies : Btwin helmet (already had it earlier), bell, SP5 lock. Planning to ransack the Decathalon store at Pune once it opens next month!

The only sore point I have with this bike is the short height of the handle - I would want to keep my saddle even higher, but this was preventing the same.
Quote:
Here is the image of the stem for raised height and below in that screen shot you can see the video for changing the stem.
And then I see this post of yours! Can't thank you enough

Edit: It's out of stock everywhere. Guess I'll have to wait this out!

OT Point - I used to get around 14.XX kmph on my gearless Hercules MTB - I have marginally improved it to 17.XX on the Rockrider. Is this normal? Coz I was expecting 20+ speeds - maybe it's me that needs to improve than the cycle
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-my-cycle.jpg  

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th February 2014 at 17:40.
Old 18th February 2014, 18:30   #1787
BHPian

Hoping to see some of the Pune folks here on 2nd March

http://beyondit.in/index.php/Cycle_r...egister_member

All those who have not registered, please do so, it would be fun
Old 18th February 2014, 20:57   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

OT Point - I used to get around 14.XX kmph on my gearless Hercules MTB - I have marginally improved it to 17.XX on the Rockrider. Is this normal? Coz I was expecting 20+ speeds - maybe it's me that needs to improve than the cycle
Congratulations Ninja on your purchase!!

As you'd have understood from this thread by now that the gears are there to let you maintain the optimum cadence all the time. Unlike cars, where gears are used to reach to higher speeds, here they are only to help your legs go easy.

As far as your speeds are concerned, I think they are normal. With time they are bound to go up. When I started cycling about 2 months back. I used to ride mostly in 2 (front)- 4 (rear). Going to 2-5 or 2-6 was a big thing for me. Nowadays 2-6 is my regular combination. When I have flats or gradual slopes I go for 3-5 or 3-6.

As far as speeds are concerned, my target is to maintain 23 kmph moving average speed over 45 minutes. Able to achieve that on most days. I cover about 18 kms in this time period.

Last edited by shipnil : 18th February 2014 at 21:03.
Old 18th February 2014, 23:10   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Congratulations Ninja on your purchase!!
Thanks!

Quote:
As far as your speeds are concerned, I think they are normal. With time they are bound to go up. When I started cycling about 2 months back. I used to ride mostly in 2 (front)- 4 (rear). Going to 2-5 or 2-6 was a big thing for me. Nowadays 2-6 is my regular combination. When I have flats or gradual slopes I go for 3-5 or 3-6.
My normal is 3-4 / 3-5. I prefer to go to the 2-X series when I cross 10+ kms and naturally the speed goes down.

Quote:
As far as speeds are concerned, my target is to maintain 23 kmph moving average speed over 45 minutes. Able to achieve that on most days. I cover about 18 kms in this time period.
Good point - the idea is to be able to maintain consistent speeds.
But where in Pune do you get to do such a long stretch (without any major traffic hiccups)?

On a side note, ACT 110 is a good bike. I used it for a weekend in Bombay sometime back, and I really liked the cycle. Somehow I missed out on that bike during my purchase decision.

Rockrider owners,
Do you face "delay" in your bikes shifting to 3-7? Mine hardly does, and the times it actually does, there is a considerable delay (after my switching to that gear).
Old 19th February 2014, 07:29   #1790
BHPian

Hi ninjatalli,

I too own a rockrider 5.0 and yes there's a delay in the shifts but you'll get used to it with time. I travel to office in dighi from Magarpatta twice a week (18.5km one way) and do avg speeds of about 20.

Have also done khadakwasla and alandi in the past two weeks with avg speeds of 20. There are some nice stretches on nagar road, Singhad road where you can achieve higher speeds than this during early morning rides.

By the way, anyone joining the decathlon ride from sangamwadi to wagholi on 2nd march? Am desperately looking for partners.

Keep cycling

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 19th February 2014, 10:12   #1791
BHPian

Quote:

Rockrider owners,
Do you face "delay" in your bikes shifting to 3-7? Mine hardly does, and the times it actually does, there is a considerable delay (after my switching to that gear).

You can get your gears adjusted by some good mechanic and it should be fine, will charge you 50 bucks at the max. But overall gear change in 5.0 has some delay compared to the better bikes around
Old 19th February 2014, 13:06   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
My normal is 3-4 / 3-5. I prefer to go to the 2-X series when I cross 10+ kms and naturally the speed goes down.
I am bit confused here. Do you ride in bigger crank in regular gears and then shift to lower later, when you want to achieve higher speed? I assume 1 to be smallest crank and 3 to be the biggest.

Quote:
Good point - the idea is to be able to maintain consistent speeds.
But where in Pune do you get to do such a long stretch (without any major traffic hiccups)?
You are right. Only in the mornings, you get open stretches. I live in Pimple Saudagar area. I have couple of roads around here where traffic is low in the morning.
Old 19th February 2014, 16:50   #1793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am bit confused here. Do you ride in bigger crank in regular gears and then shift to lower later, when you want to achieve higher speed? I assume 1 to be smallest crank and 3 to be the biggest.
Lol - kinda tells me how ignorant I'm of the high cadence logic. Did a bit of googling to get more info on the same topic.

Basically till date I have been using muscle pull to reach higher speeds and I shifted to the smaller gears to cruise around (or when I was tired). I attribute this to my non-geared cycling habits; its only a month since I shifted to a geared bike. Will be trying out the high cadence alternative from today.

Quote:
You are right. Only in the mornings, you get open stretches. I live in Pimple Saudagar area. I have couple of roads around here where traffic is low in the morning.
Nice! Well it's kinda tough for me to get out of the bed during these cold mornings - I'm more of a evening/night cyclist (apart from the daily trips to office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis86 View Post
By the way, anyone joining the decathlon ride from sangamwadi to wagholi on 2nd march? Am desperately looking for partners.
Well I was well on decided to go for it, but have a marriage to attend that same day in another city. Will update if the plans change!
Old 19th February 2014, 17:16   #1794
BANNED

Quote:

Rockrider owners,
This is what I use and advice:

F-1, R - 1 to 3
F-2, R - 4 to 5
F-3, R - 6 to 7

The Bicycles thread-gears2111.jpg

Name:  crosschaintriple.gif
Views: 1491
Size:  10.0 KB

Avoid the following combinations, because they will stretch your chain too much:

front 1, back top gear (7 or 8)
front 3, back lower gears (1-3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis86 View Post
But overall gear change in 5.0 has some delay compared to the better bikes around
I have a 3 month old RR 5.0 but never faced any delay in shifts when used. I guess the front and rear derailleur need adjustment to shift accordingly and faster.

Anurag.
Old 19th February 2014, 17:56   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I use and advice:

F-1, R - 1 to 3
F-2, R - 4 to 5
F-3, R - 6 to 7

front 1, back top gear (7 or 8)
front 3, back lower gears (1-3).

I have a 3 month old RR 5.0 but never faced any delay in shifts when used. I guess the front and rear derailleur need adjustment to shift accordingly and faster.

Anurag.
havent used my hybrid in 1.5 years now, but I happily used 2-6 and 2-7 often. infact, i never shifted to the 3-cog in the front once i started cycling at a 90-100 cadence.

What cadence do you cycle at?
Old 19th February 2014, 18:06   #1796
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
havent used my hybrid in 1.5 years now, but I happily used 2-6 and 2-7 often. infact, i never shifted to the 3-cog in the front once i started cycling at a 90-100 cadence.

I mostly use the 2-4 and 2-5 and once I am riding comfortably in long stretches I use the 3-6. Yet to use the 3-7.

I have been cycling at 70-80 cadence.

Anurag.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:45   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

90-100! That means you are in the league of pro riders. So do you ride a roadbike nowadays, if not hybrid?

Like Anurag, I too am able to ride at 70 cadence only. I go to third cog, to access an intermediate ratio between 2x6 and 2x7 which is easier and also to go beyond 2x7 ratio by going to 3x6 while riding on slopes. For now, I somehow do not use 2x7.
Old 19th February 2014, 23:07   #1798
BHPian

Hello,

I own 1985 BSA SLR which is still running.

I am planning to refurbish it.

Few points in mind
1) Coaster hub at rear
2) Hub dynamo in front
3) Few electrical accessories
4) Painting / Plating etc.

Any suggestions? I am in Pune.

Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 17:47   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Got this folding bike - second hand for 60$
Aleoca Brand, New costs - around 150$
Lock - 10$ ( Very important since bicycle theft is common in Singapore )
New Seat - 14$
Biologic grips ( not in picture ) - 14$

Will buy a helmet soon.

Best part - Its allowed in buses , trains here and can fit easily in taxi boot.
5 speed, but I can hardly go above 3 now!
20' wheels.
14 kgs weight since frame is steel one.

Expensive brands like Raileigh folding one starts from 350$
Dahon and tern cost above 550$
Happy with the bike till now

The Bicycles thread-20140113_130928.jpg
The Bicycles thread-20140113_130938.jpg
The Bicycles thread-20140113_224127.jpg
The Bicycles thread-20140114_084133.jpg
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:54   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
Hello,

I own 1985 BSA SLR which is still running.

I am planning to refurbish it.

Few points in mind
1) Coaster hub at rear
2) Hub dynamo in front
3) Few electrical accessories
4) Painting / Plating etc.

Any suggestions? I am in Pune.

Thanks
Get a good seat maybe? If it's never been changed, i.e. You could try brooks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks