Team-BHP - The Bicycles thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bicycles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/)
-   -   The Bicycles thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/20785-bicycles-thread-39.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by manim (Post 2204725)
I am planning to cycle 2 kms to office everyday.
The exercise, savings on petrol and investment, going 'green' and parking-space are the motivations.

I do not know much about cycles and presently researching, any ideas?

(I am lazy to go fully through this thread)

I was advised to go in for BSA Hercules.

Mountain Bike for you : Track & Trail - Products
Road Bike for you: Track & Trail - Products

These are just good Schwinn's, you can search for alternative brands/configs but these should easily suffice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manim (Post 2204725)
I was advised to go in for BSA Hercules.

hercules act 110 plus. a pretty good vfm for 10k+.

just a word of caution. dont buy any cheap junk from hercules with rear shocks and all. they are non functional and will only end up straining your knees....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishn (Post 2205345)
just a word of caution. dont buy any cheap junk from hercules with rear shocks and all. they are non functional and will only end up straining your knees....

+1 to this. Don't buy any bike with rear shock absorbers unless you go mountain biking. I took a fully suspended bike on trial for a few days. My back started feeling a strain in 3-4 days, it was not there on a front suspended bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kartikk (Post 2205239)
Mountain Bike for you : Track & Trail - Products......These are just good Schwinn's, you can search for alternative brands/configs but these should easily suffice.

I own the Schwinn frontier sport, its a lovely bike to experience. I cant find anything to complain. Its been 6 months, but not yet on a full swing routine ride. Hope to restart the rides this week.

Became a proud owner of a Trek 3700 (18inch frame) recently. Planning to use it for regular early morning rides and hope to start commuting to work on it after sometime.
This is my first high-end bicycle (used to ride BSA-SLRs in school!). Hence, taking time to learn how to ride it optimally (changing gears does take some learning).
A couple of pictures:
The Bicycles thread-trek37001.jpg
Name:  Trek37002.jpg
Views: 6533
Size:  75.4 KB

NMA

Finally!

After almost 7 months, I made a decision to buy a cycle, I will be getting one now.

I bought Fomas CityKing for me. A hybrid Bicycle.

Mumbai friends, if you are looking for a place to buy cycles, specially highend ones, Pro9 is the place to be at.
You can get customized cycles made for you too.

By the way,people are you joining "Mumbai Cyclothon" ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2205730

I bought this bicycle yesterday. :) £180 and £40 on some tools and fitting and the Halfords Maintenance pack for the year.

Full aluminum frame with Shimano gear set and Shimano disk pack and a SRAM shifter

@Cyrus: Looks great!
The red and black combo makes it look very sporty.

The tyres on this one seems to be that of the mountain bike types na?

Thanks everyone for feedback.
I had a look today at the biggest shop in Tuticorin and shortlisted two models:

Hero Octane Astra - Rs.5,900/-
Hero Octane Ester - Rs.6,605/-

Both are shimano 21-speed system.

Hero company models appears to be better than BSA?

http://www.herocycles.com/boyz.php

I have never driven a gear-cycle and am worried about any maintainence issues.

Nearly finalized the Gary Fisher Wahoo with hydraulic disc brakes.Great cycle.in 19 inch frame.

Also finalized the Trek 3700 for my better half.in 16 inch frame.

Also any tips on how to choose the frame? I'm a bit confused whether to go in for a 21 inch or a 19 inch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nma83 (Post 2205703)
Became a proud owner of a Trek 3700 (18inch frame) recently. Planning to use it for regular early morning rides and hope to start commuting to work on it after sometime.
This is my first high-end bicycle (used to ride BSA-SLRs in school!). Hence, taking time to learn how to ride it optimally (changing gears does take some learning).

Congrats. Btw, where are you staying and your office please?

Do you do any morning rides or long rides on weekends? Or its office only rides?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 2207405)
Congrats. Btw, where are you staying and your office please?
Do you do any morning rides or long rides on weekends? Or its office only rides?

Mjothi: I am put up in Vijayanagar currently and work-place is near Malleshwaram. So its a ~9KM ride.
I have started early morning rides (weekdays intermittently and weekends). Will try to ride to office once I find out a safe parking place :).

Looks like you got a RR 5.2. I did consider it but found the riding position too aggressive for my height.

NMA

Depending on your height its important you find the right frame of bicycle. There wont be issues of maintainence with a geared bicycle dont worry on that. Normal oiling greasing stuff, but its important to get the right frame else you would end up with backaches, strained neck among other complication not to mention the demotivation from these. Google on frame size and body height you'll find many sites giving you required details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manim (Post 2207145)
Thanks everyone for feedback.
I had a look today at the biggest shop in Tuticorin and shortlisted two models:

Hero Octane Astra - Rs.5,900/-
Hero Octane Ester - Rs.6,605/-

Both are shimano 21-speed system.

Hero company models appears to be better than BSA?

Hero Cycles Ltd.

I have never driven a gear-cycle and am worried about any maintainence issues.

My Fomas CityKing.

The Bicycles thread-168521_491905713810_688818810_6281836_4586045_n.jpg

Got it from Pro9 (Bandra)

I bought a Hero Octane Ester today for Rs.6,600/-.
Hope to commute to office nearly daily, 2.5 kms away.
Have never driven a geared cycle before, so eager to learn and experiment in the following days!

Here is a pic: