Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Buying a pre-owned bicycle

Buying a pre-owned bicycle-0b0cfd18d68146d289bf192a8aa564a6.jpg

Hello cyclists of Team-BHP!

Thanks to Team-BHP’s threads: "Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars and The not-so-obvious advantages and New car vs Used car and several others that advocate pre-worshipped cars, many of us enthusiasts have recognised the advantages of a pre owned car rather than a new car and some have purchased their first preowned car after many years of sticking to the new car market and they seem quite satisfied with their decision.

Saving money and getting more car for less money is how they benefited with buying a pre worshipped car than a new one. Even GTO himself buys mostly pre worshipped cars and enjoys them to the max.

Speaking of GTO, it is he who has given me the idea to start this thread after he commented on my thread Would you buy a bicycle from an automotive manufacturer?, so a big thanks and a mention of gratitude for you!

These were his words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am a sucker for brands, hence voted yes. Had seen that Mercedes cycle earlier too and really liked it. But would probably go the pre-worshipped route as my frequent cycling is the stationary kind (in my gym) and this would be a weekend ride, at best.
Which made me wonder, when buying a bicycle; why don’t we go the pre-worshipped route? If we are convinced that pre-owned cars are right for us, why not bicycles? Well, atleast I have been getting all my bikes new. If you have gotten a pre-worshipped bicycle, please do share your views and experiences on this thread.

Meanwhile here is my version of GTO’s thread on pre-worshipped cars and their advantages about buying pre worshipped bicycles, how to buy them, their advantages and their disadvantages.

Starting with the obvious advantages:

OBVIOUS ADVANTAGES

• More bicycle for your money: OR Same bicycle for lot less money.
Some of the advantages of buying a pre worshipped bicycle over a new bicycle remain the same as those of buying a pre worshipped car over a new car. You get a bigger, more premium bicycle for a lesser cost.
My tip: Buy such a bicycle from someone who is moving, they’ll be desperate to sell it off at whatever price they get and thus giving you more scope to bargain. Same bicycle for lot less money is not the case most of the time, but like the used CAR market, you can get lucky in the used bicycle market too.

• Reliability:

My second advantage in this list of reasons to buy a used bicycle is also the same as GTO’s second reason to buy a pre-owned car. Reliability. A bicycle has only the basic components and running cost turns out to be cheap and you don’t need regular services from an authorised shop. An FNG (cycle repairs store) can pretty much get anything fixed.
My Tip: I would still recommend you take care of your pre-owned bicycle and get it fixed at the workshop of a decent cycle store only if something goes wrong. Either way, it will still be cheaper than an authorised service center.

• Pre-owned bicycles from cycle dealerships themselves:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-e2b18406e1db468d999d735d8d9b2cf1.jpg
Certain cycle dealerships also offer pre-owned bicycles. They are generally in a better condition and besides you can also get something fixed. You might get lucky and get a bicycle under warranty or even a few accessories too as freebies.
My Tip: Bicycle stores have contacts who might be interested in selling off their used bike. Alternatively, they also have cycling clubs where you could meet people who might want to sell you their pre worshipped bike.

• A great learner’s bike:
If the pre-owned bicycle you are looking at is for a learner, then don’t even think of a new bike. Reasons: Firstly you save money and get a better bike to ride, like this Firefox Road-Runner Pro V.
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-1d31656586fa49f0b5be48cfdfc96e45.jpg
This two year old specimen on droom costs about half the price of a new one on the Firefox website.

Buying a pre-owned bicycle-324d8e25352b488e9412f7525125217b.jpg

Learn riding on a far superior bike for cheap. Second, you don’t need to pamper it. There is also no fear of crashing or dirtying an expensive bike which means you can only focus on learning to ride rather than worrying about your bike. While geared bicycles are cheap these days, you get a far more upmarket geared bicycle for your money than a new single speed bicycle.

• More genuine reasons for sale:

The reasons why most people sell their bikes is either due to relocation, mostly in case of children’s bikes, a child has outgrown the bike and some people just want to buy a better new bike. No need to fear accidental damage, faulty parts etc. You can get minor damages fixed for a small amount of money at any cycle store. There is generally nothing shady involved in selling off a bicycle.

• Not requiring a safe parking:

Having a preowned bike would mean you would not even care about a proper parking. Just chain it to a pillar in your basement and you are good to go. A new bicycle would have a greater chance of being stolen and you would spend more energy and thoughts caring about it. When you have a safer parking, you can graduate to a more expensive bike. “Park it chain it forget it” for a bicycle is the equivalent of the pre-owned car phrase “Fill it shut it forget it”.

• You might get the bell free:

A simple benefit is the freebies. Some minor accessories like mudflaps or bells aren’t even removed by the owner in the advertisement photograph, which means they wouldn’t even care to remove them before sale. So you get free accessories too. It does not matter how big they are, but just that they are free.

• Your choice of bike/Premium options/Collectibles:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-a9e78e10bed1447095c092498a00a1fe.jpg
Lastly, you might find your choice of bicycle as a preowned if the new one goes way over your budget. This is the case where people like GTO or even our cyclists who want superior performance brands would opt for a pre-owned bike. You might find an imported bike or trike and save huge bucks on getting it the pre-owned route.

DISADVANTAGES

• Difficult to finance:

I think a used bike would be difficult to finance. Unlike new bikes, I doubt if there is an EMI scheme or some loan for this purpose. Maybe some BHPians could help on this.

• Not the latest:

The 2 year old bike you get might not have the latest shade/color scheme on offer as its current version. You might not get, say the new stickering or maybe even the new gear shifters.

• Scamming potential :

Many people have listed pictures of bicycles straight from the brand’s website. Less specs written, unrealistic pricing, no authenticity and listings from really remote areas might turn out to be just a waste of time and your money too.

• Not a developed pre-owned bicycle market:

There isn’t a market for pre-owned bicycles online and keeping aside the fake listings on OLX and droom, you have very little variety and less options furthermore, you may not find the bike you want. It is not as simple as walking into a showroom and filling the order form for a new bicycle. The best way right now is to use contacts and physical stores, cycling clubs and social media like Facebook and Instagram. This takes a lot of effort and time and many people would rather buy a new bicycle.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS ADVANTAGES

• Cheap way to get it look new:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-a5438a674e34454e94e1ba8194d53eb4.jpg
First off, you need your new cycle although preowned to look and feel like a new cycle. When buying a pre-owned car, this can be done with 10k INR which gives you a detailing session at 3M and a new car feel to your vehicle. How do you give a new bike feel? Simple. Take it to a competent cycle service bay in a decent cycle store and for just under 300 INR, you can get the following:

Quote:
Gear Tune Up, Hubs Adjustment, Headset Adjustment, Bottom Bracket Checkup, Checking and Adjustment of brakes, Checking and Tightning all Screw and bolts, Wheels true & spokes tension, Chain lubricated & Tyres pumped, Wash, Cleaning & Polishing.
All this is done at a familiar store near me. Such stores offer you a pickup and drop service too, which makes it a great deal. The next day when they deliver it, you get a almost new bicycle. This service twice an year is more than enough. When bought, doing this service would make it will look and feel like a new bicycle, identify any major faults and fix most minor faults.

• Customisation and Mod Potential:

Just some spray paint cans, screw drivers, parts from other bicycles and a weekend and you can customise your pre-worshipped bike the way you want. Whereas on a new bike, you would want to keep it stock and you would think twice before doing any alterations. More advanced stuff can also be done like disassembling the bike and then rebuilding it the way you want if you are a pro.

• Getting it dirty, and getting dirty with it:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-a186dbf8ca0d4c3db9c9d9db9a6231f5.jpg
Buy a cheap BMX, modify it tastefully and use it to practice and improve your stunts and skills. A cheap MTB can be taken into the dust and on the rocks the minute you drive out of the owner’s basement. Whereas if you buy a new MTB, you would probably spend the first few weeks driving it sedately and carefully only on clean, paved roads which actually defeats the purpose it built is for. You can also try out repairs yourself and get the grease on your hands. More on that later.

• Run errands, use it more regularly:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-f6644923bc544fa48fce1821947e4c87.jpg
I would think twice before using a new bike during the rainy season, when the roads are covered with slush and puddles and I have to park it in the open. Whereas, a pre-owned bike would not need convincing my brain a lot to ride it in such a season.

• DIY Repairs:

A Firefox bike won’t always need a trip to a Firefox store if it’s a pre owned, nor would you need to service a preowned BTwin bike at Decathlon’s service area. You could just do the necessary repair yourself. You wouldn’t really care a lot since it is a pre-owned and thanks to numerous blogs and articles on cycle repair, you won’t even need the trial and error method. You would find it simple to do it yourself and also save money and learn skills in the process. It’s a win-win situation!

• Accessorising it:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-a662f67652b84048870ff31f52e24d46.jpg
No need for a Firefox/BTwin branded bottle holder, horn, lights, cycle computer, air pump etc which will set you off thousands of rupees. Just place an order for Chinese goods which will save you money. It may look cheap to sport these unbranded accessories to others but on a bicycle that you got for half the price, accessories that will save you even more won’t bother your own eyes.

• Doing a kind deed:
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-image_bikedonations.jpg
Lastly, if you already use a 2 year old pre-owned bicycle to its fullest for another 3-4 years, it wouldn’t have much value left with it would go at dirt cheap rates in the pre-owned market. You might find no point in selling it then for the mere 2-3k cost or whatever is left of it. That’s when you donate it. There are plenty of clubs and NGOs which collect bicycles and give them to underprivileged children who really need to travel long distances for education. By doing this, you do a good deed too, and you won’t care even if it is (ab)used over there as you’d graduate to a better bicycle. Whereas a bicycle on which you have spent 20-30k yourself albeit 5 years ago would still be hard to let go and likely continue its running in the family itself as a hand-me-down or sit gathering dust. By donating it, you know you have helped some underprivileged child and get the bliss and happiness of having done a kind deed.

Buying a pre-owned bicycle-5e0af5c3e933465fa0e1297c7bbb3af1.jpg

So did this thread convince you to buy a pre-worshipped bicycle? Please share your experiences, views and opinions on this topic.

Thanks!
EightSix.

Last edited by EightSix : 5th December 2020 at 17:49.
EightSix is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 07:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a pre-owned bicycle

Looking forward to Ninja Talli's guide book on this thread. As far as I know, based on the bikes he manages to pick up regularly, he is the undisputed tbhp champ wheeler dealer of high end pre owned bicycles.

I find the term "pre loved" a bit cringey to be honest.

When I go to buy a bike or a motorcycle I'm not really getting into the owner's psyche or love life.

The deal is done and 9 times out of 10 the phone number deleted post-haste.

I think it stems from weird ego thing a lot of junta suffers from with regard to the more middle-class colloquial "second hand" tag.

Pre loved kinda softens that and gives it some gift wrapping. Lol

A bike is a bike. Whether you buy it from the showroom or from a user. You pay what you feel it is worth based on what it offers and how much you can get from it. Otherwise you move on and buy some other bike. That's all there is to it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th December 2020 at 10:53.
ebonho is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 13:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Attachment 2089550

The reasons why most people sell their bikes is either due to relocation, mostly in case of children’s bikes, a child has outgrown the bike and some people just want to buy a better new bike. No need to fear accidental damage, faulty parts etc. You can get minor damages fixed for a small amount of money at any cycle store. There is generally nothing shady involved in selling off a bicycle.
So did this thread convince you to buy a pre-worshipped bicycle? Please share your experiences, views and opinions on this topic.

Thanks!
EightSix.

Excellent post! Thank you for starting this conversation.

I am a big fan of getting second hand bikes. My wife and I bought ourselves new bikes two years ago and I really regret that I did not explore the second hand market more effectively.

For anyone with kids, I recommend that pre-owned is the way to go.

- More economical: My 5 year old has gone through 4 bikes in the last 4 years: all pre-owned. He started out with a Balance Bike (Brill from Chennai is the best!) and moved to regular pedal bikes, now on his 3rd.

- More environmentally friendly: Children grow rapidly and getting appropriate bikes as per their height and capacity is best. Why create unnecessary waste?

- Teach the value of frugality: I grew up in the 80s and 90s. It was normal for us to borrow or have hand-me-downs from cousins etc. I want to show my son that there are many ways of getting what we want. Plonking the cash down just because we can is not always the ideal solution.

--

I also recommend pre-owned Decathlon bikes for anyone not experienced in fixing or maintain their own bikes or have a trustworthy guy to work with. Decathlon servicing is decent from what I have experienced. I got my son's pre-owned Decathlon bike fully refurbished by them. They do not repair non-Decathlon bikes.
That said, a non-gear bike is pretty easy to fix if you have done something like that in your childhood.

Finally, this pandemic has led to people buying cycles like mad.
I will be delighted if this means that more folks will cycle but I predict that there will be lots of regret sales on Olx and other platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think it stems from weird ego thing a lot of junta suffers from with regard to the more middle-class colloquial "second hand" tag.

Cheers, Doc
Absolutely. I think this is a relatively recent phenomenon where if you are not buying it new, then its not cool or something.
Spaced Out is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 16:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
Absolutely. I think this is a relatively recent phenomenon where if you are not buying it new, then its not cool or something.
They need to get with the program. In many western countries buying second hand is the coolest thing one can do.

Obviously, if you are buying second hand, because your can’t afford new, it is not so cool. I am talking about folks whom can buy anything new three times over, but still go second hand.

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras...-a8995521.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:14   #6
BHPian

I myself bought one, Montra Downtown 2017 model in 2018. At that time, the selling price was 13K on Amazon I guess and I got it for 8.5K. Not a great save to be honest, but I wanted a geared bicycle because I'm fond of bicycles.
The owner told me that he had misplaced the bill and will search for it but never gave me one.
I have very limited knowledge about Bicycles. So I didn't knew I was getting a Hybrid cycle ( Skinny tyres and wheels made of light Alloy)
There was a shocking moment, I had experienced. Once when I was cycling, a Five year old had hit the front rim directly with his small cycle and guess what, his cycle was rock solid and my rim left was completely bent. Then I had tried contacting the Montra team with multiple mails and calls to no vail. I had travelled 40KMS to get one that too an aftermarket one, which costed me 1600 and had to wait for 2 days. I still remember how shocked my dad was, 1600 for a rim, for a no fault of mine, bent after hit by a kids bicycle.
The service of the bicycle comes at a premium in my city. A cycle shop guy told me Only the brakes pads would be costing around 600.
To be honest, I learnt a great lesson that buying something premium is easy but maintaining it is what matters.
The initial excitement of cycling diluted in an year but my love for it remained the same. Didn't use it for 8 months straight( Thank you Covid). Recently gave it a good shampoo wash and went for a 4KM ride and I was so happy.
When getting a used bicycle, talk to the owner clearly whether he had any accidents or not. *Ask for bill* I bought mine when the cycle was still in warranty but the owner had no bill. Choose a suitable, solid and most commonly available bicycle for your requirements and peace of mind.
I still remember the number of heads that the Montra was able to turn, that's a different experience .
I always wear a Studds half face helmet when riding a bicycle because you can't control it as good a motorcycle in a panic situation. So ride in controlled speeds and enjoy.
Once on an empty road I reached 45KMPH speed ( now I hardly cross 15KMPH) and the longest I've ridden was 20KMS in a single stretch on hilly roads.
Cycling gives a small happiness from the heart in my case, so I can't get rid of my bicycle even though I ride it occasionally .

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th December 2020 at 11:53. Reason: Mod note attached.
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:40   #7
BHPian

Previously, I would cycle moderately on weekends, > 50 km rides. However, the cycling group kept upgrading to sleeker and road-friendly cycles to which I could not keep pace and eventually left out. They were far more enthusiastic. I upgraded to a basic geared Hercules K10, when a member wanted to upgrade. He had maintained it well and I agree to the points in the OP. Thus, used bicycles are great value for money propositions. Especially when ambiguous about pursuing cycling long term.

After a point, I got bored, mainly because I would passionately ride one way, and then feel burnt out to ride back. In contrary, I can plan my treks/ jogs in an organized manner. An acquaintance who relocated during the lockdown, hastily left me his brand new basic non geared Btwin. Again, I find cycling unsafe on Mumbai roads. Neither am I keen to purchase a Thule to install on my vehicle to ride in a relatively obstruction-free environment.

For this, cycle rental apps like Yulu are a great alternative. Quite popular in my locality among citizens of all age groups. Straightforward to use.

In conclusion, a used bike is great to test waters for a hobby. If not pursuing, they can be disposed off on used products platforms easily. Similarly, I would not want to hoard on all the required paraphernalia until I am absolutely sure of continuing long term and hence rental or borrowing is the best alternative.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Meanwhile here is my version of GTO’s thread on pre-worshipped cars and their advantages about buying pre worshipped bicycles, how to buy them, their advantages and their disadvantages.
Thanks EightSix for this thread. All of my vehicles have been pre-owned - My Car, My Motorcycles

And just in the month of October 2020, I picked up a pre-owned kid's bicycle for my son. It is a branded FireFox cycle which if bought new would have costed me 3X of what I paid for this one.

But - I have been looking for a used bi-cycle since last few months regularly on portals but have struggled to find a good one for myself. My requirements are a bit different

I am quite tall and 'not-skinny' and hence need a bi-cycle with 28' or 29' wheels along with a large frame. Whatever examples I have come across have been either short on my requirements or were simply not VFM. The pre-owned bi-cycle market is quire in its infancy as not many people buy large bi-cycles and then keep them in a good shape for someone to be comfortable in picking it up. I feel they are mostly either immediately sole back to the dealer within 3-6 month of purchase or are passed on within the family/friends circle as opposed to selling them off.

But I know that patience is the key when it comes to buying a pre-owned vehicle and so I am still looking

Last edited by sunilch : 8th December 2020 at 12:39.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:05   #9
BHPian

Interesting Thread. I purchased a used btwin rockrider 340 some time ago. The deal worked out well for me and I insisted on speaking to the family members of the student who wanted to sell the cycle as I didn't want a situation where the guy sells the bike because Daddy didn't give him money for a party and then I end up with his folks at my doorstep.

The one thing I would stress on from the points that you've mentioned above is about asking for a bill.

Since cycles don't have registration numbers and do not need any documents there is no way someone can show proof of purchase without a bill in his or her name (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Cycles are relatively easier to rob and sell off via olx as compared to a motorcycle or car. So be careful - if you end up buying a cycle that is stolen apart from having to hand over the bike to the cops when the seller is caught you can also be involved in the case under laws that consider you guilty for "purchasing stolen goods".
theqca is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Interesting Thread. I purchased a used btwin rockrider 340 some time ago. The deal worked out well for me and I insisted on speaking to the family members of the student who wanted to sell the cycle as I didn't want a situation where the guy sells the bike because Daddy didn't give him money for a party and then I end up with his folks at my doorstep.

The one thing I would stress on from the points that you've mentioned above is about asking for a bill.

Since cycles don't have registration numbers and do not need any documents there is no way someone can show proof of purchase without a bill in his or her name (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Cycles are relatively easier to rob and sell off via olx as compared to a motorcycle or car. So be careful - if you end up buying a cycle that is stolen apart from having to hand over the bike to the cops when the seller is caught you can also be involved in the case under laws that consider you guilty for "purchasing stolen goods".
All higher end bikes have barcoded stickers with various manufacturing lot details as well as frame number stamped into the metal of the frame just as for motorcycles.

These details are mentioned on the policy if you take insurance as well.

It's near impossible to get a bill of sale for lower end bikes in my experience. It's very rare the owner is fastidious enough to have preserved it, especially if out of the warranty. For Decathlon bikes, the details are all available online linked to the email and mobile number.

But your point about parental consent from minors is very valid.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th December 2020 at 13:40.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:26   #11
BHPian

I believe many purchases carry an aspirational premium. Premium cars, bikes are such purchases that carry a 'logo' premium. Cycles are more functional and bought for functional needs like fitness, recreation etc. That said, our markets are flooded with imported brands (that I believe are either fully imported or only assembled in India) that do carry what I prefer to call as the 'aspirational premium'. And like with premium cars and bikes cycles too lose the premium once they are in the 'used goods' market.

So when I was on the look out for a road bike after couple of years with a hybrid (B-Twin Riverside 500), I straightaway went for a used road bike. Finding the right one was a bit of a struggle. But I managed to find a 3 month (I still have the invoice!) old Giant SCR 0 that still had a free service left! The original invoiced price was 77K and I paid 63K. I knew I could have pushed him to sell for 60K, but I couldn't convince myself to do it!

Premium cycles are simple machines built with premium materials deliver weight, strength, durability, performance etc. And there is very little in it that cant be fixed at a service center. So by all means go for used cycles!!
Sanjunair5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 14:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
In conclusion, a used bike is great to test waters for a hobby. If not pursuing, they can be disposed off on used products platforms easily.
This. I have bought one bike too many over the last decade or so. I used to ride a couple of times a week and then over the last year its gone up to about 3 - 4 times a week. Cycling just doesn't feel as enchanting as it looks once you start riding multiple times a week. Traffic, pollution, accidents, cost of accessories mean that beyond a point running, hiking, swimming start looking much more appealing. A used bike is a great way to test the waters and see if its for you.

I always bought a new one since the ones I wanted were never available in the used market. A used bike @ 20-30k is a risk worth taking but anything more than 50k is probably not worth it. In my opinion 60-70k is the point of diminishing returns on ride performance. Unless one is a pro, a new mid range bike for 70k is probably the same as a used high end one for 70k in terms of performance. Might as well get a new one to avoid short term maintenance and of course the risk of it breaking down or worse is almost zero in a new one. Needless to say a heavier steel/Al frame is better for your fitness than a feather-light carbon frame.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:39   #13
BHPian

Major advantage is you can get a lighter frame and a higher category of shifters along with a better group set at a much lower cost.

Even for similar models, the earlier versions had better components than the current ones.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 16:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cycles are a thing of Joy!

This thread is an eye opener. I have always been fascinated by the value proposition of going pre-owned. But this brings a whole new meaning. Especially since cycles, unlike motor vehicles cant have any hidden niggles or troublesome parts that we cant fix.

Off Topic: This scene from IT chapter 2 is one of the happy moments where one remembers his happiest memories from his childhood. A cycle is the first means of "Vehicle" that we ever got as kids. And yes they were fast . PS: In this movie tho he got a bad deal buying his used cycle. , but nonetheless he is still happy !
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a pre-owned bicycle-cycle.png  

TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 16:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Especially since cycles, unlike motor vehicles cant have any hidden niggles or troublesome parts that we cant fix.
Unfortunately not true.

My ACT 110 was inspected thoroughly by me before buying. Everything was working and in order.

But the problem area that surfaced later was the rear wheel. Which kept breaking spokes.

I'd replace one. Get the wheel trued and refitted. A week or more later another one would pop. And so on.

Incidentally each spoke costs 50 bucks. And are only available at high end shops. TI (Track n Trail official stores included) do not provide the OE spoke set after sales. And the truing 100 bucks.

Finally replaced the entire wheel assembly, lock stock and barrel, with one from a higher end Montra.

That wheel is still going strong. 12,000 km later and counting.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed