Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication

Finally managed to get both the chains off of the ACT and the CAAD in one shot. Was toying with the idea of not breaking the ACT chain as it does not have a smart link. But finally went and got both of for a proper deep clean and wax dip. Will keep the team updated with photos.

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img_20210802_174424.jpg

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img_20210802_174435.jpg

The darker more waxy one is from the CAAD. Which I finally got off the trainer and swapped tyres on from the Gatorskins to a set of old Kenda 23s I had lying around. Will try them out on the road and see how they run. Put in tyre liners as well for additional protection.

The shinier more silvery one is of the ACT which has been deep cleaned recently and in regular use. The rust spots are because of two big rain rides with re-waxing (as reported on the net as well).

The other thing done was swapping the cassettes between the trainer wheel and the road (original) rear wheel. Now I have the more evenly spaced 12-32 BTwin cassette on, in place of the "alpine" SRAM 11-32 (with big jumps for the last 3 big cogs 21-26-32).

Bith cassettes were degreased and washed squeaky clean in prep for tge newly waxed chains. Now need to clean off both cranks and chainrings and the ACT freewheel again before reinstalling the chain.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd August 2021 at 20:31.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:57   #77
BHPian

Found this video to be quite helpful for when you think a thorough drivetrain clean isn't required.
TSIVTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:24   #78
Senior - BHPian

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Found this video to be quite helpful for when you think a thorough drivetrain clean isn't required.
https://Youtu.be/I_5fNbDN3UA
Instead of a permanent marker (which hardly shows on anything but a really light silver chain), I'd shared my method of a dab of talcum powder on the outside of a link, and start lubing from there.

Over the last 2-3 weeks of cleaning and lubing the ACT chain very frequently because of the rains and muck, I found an easier way.

I did the powder thing and started putting a dab of Squirt on each roller. Counting each as I moved along. Till I came full circle.

112 rollers for the ACT (I THINK it's 110 for the CAAD but will check and confirm).

Now I don't need the powder. I start lubing one roller at a time and counting. And stop when I reach 112.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. The SRAM PG-830 now on the trainer wheel.

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img_20210802_213556.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd August 2021 at 21:39.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Till last night ...

Chain before cleaning

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img20210802wa0020.jpg

Step 1 - Boiling in Water

Step 2 - Adding Degreaser

After 3rd wash

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img20210802wa0019.jpg

After washing, sprayed with WD40

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img20210802wa0021.jpg

Chain left overnight with WD40. Never realized the 7 speed chain was so much wider than the 8 speed chain!

The 7 speed ACT chain is now 16,000+ km old (don't know how much the first owner rode her. Obviously not a lot). The 8 speed CAAD chain is now 10,000 km old (but still in spec). Don't know how elongated the ACT chain is, but anyways all the components of the drivetrain are due for a replacement soon (maybe this winter).

Will check both when I fit them back to confirm.

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img20210803wa0017.jpg

Final degreaser wash.

Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication-img20210803wa0018.jpg

Next steps drying out completely with a hair dryer, and then the wax bath.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2021 at 17:15. Reason: As requested
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:35   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm getting a kat-kat sound from my pedals - I believe the noise is coming from the pedal and/or the crank arm. A DIY makes sense or do I just take it to the neighborhood FNG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Why are my videos not showing as a thumbnail in the post guys?

I posted a video earlier of the bridge getting inundated, where it is.

Here I'm just seeing links?
It shows as links only. Do you use the 'Insert Link' option in the new post menu or just copy the link as it is? The former should show it as a video thumbnail by default.
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'm getting a kat-kat sound from my pedals - I believe the noise is coming from the pedal and/or the crank arm. A DIY makes sense or do I just take it to the neighborhood FNG?

It shows as links only. Do you use the 'Insert Link' option in the new post menu or just copy the link as it is? The former should show it as a video thumbnail by default.
The pedal spindle cups need to be cleaned, polished if minor dents are there, balls replaced and grease packed. DIY depends on your proficiency to do this.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd August 2021 at 11:33. Reason: Video links updated in the original post
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:26   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The pedal spindle cups need to be cleaned, polished if minor dents are there, balls replaced and grease packed. DIY depends on your proficiency to do this.
Thanks. I think the ball bearing need replacement. Completely doubt my DIY capabilities; will take it to a shop

Quote:
I use the copy link button after the share arrow on you tube and then the insert link option in go advanced post settings here.
I believe it's to do with the construct of the link you are sharing ".../watch?v=..." format is what works for me. If I past your links, I get the same issue.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd August 2021 at 11:34. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 4th August 2021, 09:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Final steps on the fully clean chains.

Drying out the links, pins and rollers completely with a hair dryer.

Then soaking in cadle wax (removing the wicks once the wax has melted) and then letting it cool down and harden. Naturally.

A good idea to agitate the chain around regularly till the bubbles stop coming on to the surface, which means now the wax has entered all spaces internally and pushed the aur out.

Finally breaking the chain out and removing the big chunks stuck around it.

Now the installation.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th August 2021 at 09:04.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:10   #84
BHPian

Quote:

The 7 speed ACT chain is now 16,000+ km old (don't know how much the first owner rode her. Obviously not a lot). The 8 speed CAAD chain is now 10,000 km old (but still in spec). Don't know how elongated the ACT chain is

Cheers, Doc
Doc, Just curious, and off topic, have you checked it with the chain wear tool to check it's conditions and actual wear?

They say a worn out chain can potentially wear out your casette and chain rings faster.

I have the tool and I keep checking the chain wear periodically and change the chain when it crosses 50% wear approximately.

Cheers
Narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Doc, Just curious, and off topic, have you checked it with the chain wear tool to check it's conditions and actual wear?

They say a worn out chain can potentially wear out your casette and chain rings faster.

I have the tool and I keep checking the chain wear periodically and change the chain when it crosses 50% wear approximately.

Cheers
Narayanang76
Narayan sadly not. I check the CAAD regularly (at a shop). My ACT has always been treated as the rough and tumble country cousin in my learning days. Both of us made many mistakes together. One of them was to assume that a chain is a infinite resource. So over these 16000 km I have done, the chain ring teeth have become progressively sharper (I actually started visually noticing it last year ... I think Lamba ji, an ex national champ and a guy who owns a shop and who I ride with from time to time noticed it first even earlier and asked me whether I rode the middle ring a lot).

In all fairness, growing up we never knew all these chain wear and lengthening fundas. Nor have I ever to date replaced a chain on any bike of mine except my CAAD. We've always assumed that a chain dies along with the bike. Also because most normal bikes do not get ridden 5000+ kilometres in a year.

So anyways by now the wear is done, and if the crank needs replacing along with the chain then surely so does the freewheel, all in one go as a set. And this time I will ensure two things. To check chain wear regularly. And two, to get a chain with a smart link, or have a smart link fitted, to make removal and cleaning and waxing easy.

We live and learn! The good thing about 7 speeds is that all of this will cost just 2.5-3k. That's less than 20 paise per kilometre.

P.S. From what I've been told (Park Tool recommendations) 0.5 is for 11 speed (and maybe 10 speed as well) chains because they are much thinner and wear out faster.

For 8 and 9 speed chains the wear indicator used is 0.75. Because they are a lot thicker and more sturdily built and last a lot longer. My KMC on my CAAD for instance has gone past 10,000 km. This was the one I replaced the original SRAM with.

6 and 7 speed basic chains are even thicker and stronger and more durable. The photo of the 7 vs the 8 speed chain above shows the difference. Though I do not know the wear limits for them. Or if different at all to the 8 and 9 speeds.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th August 2021 at 10:37.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:41   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Final steps on the fully clean chains.
Doc, how many times can we reuse the quick links? I believe I read somewhere that it can get damaged after reusing it 3 or 4 times. If that's the case, do you have spares lying around?

Also, how often are you planning to do the re-waxing (km)? I imagine you are going to do this instead of Squirt, from now on.
dragntailonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:56   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
Doc, how many times can we reuse the quick links? I believe I read somewhere that it can get damaged after reusing it 3 or 4 times. If that's the case, do you have spares lying around?
I always carry a spare magic link in my saddlebag, for my roadbike chain. During chain replacement, I ask my mechanic to check the link condition too, and I think its not good to use for more than 3-4 chains. Good thing is, these links were available easily and can keep them with us for any emergencies/replacements. Only thing is we need to buy the link that is suitable for the chain (9/10/11 speeds).
narayanang76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post

Also, how often are you planning to do the re-waxing (km)? I imagine you are going to do this instead of Squirt, from now on.
I've read that (again because the chains are getting progressively thinner) only the 11 speed chain links are single use and throw.

Imagine what the new 12 speed ones are going to be like ....

My riding buddy with a carbon Scott Addict Ultegra reuses the smart link every 300 km when he cleans and waxes his chain. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I always carry a spare magic link in my saddlebag, for my roadbike chain. During chain replacement, I ask my mechanic to check the link condition too, and I think its not good to use for more than 3-4 chains. Good thing is, these links were available easily and can keep them with us for any emergencies/replacements. Only thing is we need to buy the link that is suitable for the chain (9/10/11 speeds).
Narayan is it 3-4 times or 3-4 chains, in terms of reusing the smart link?

Last edited by ebonho : 4th August 2021 at 11:09.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:25   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've read that (again because the chains are getting progressively thinner) only the 11 speed chain links are single use and throw.

Imagine what the new 12 speed ones are going to be like ....

My riding buddy with a carbon Scott Addict Ultegra reuses the smart link every 300 km when he cleans and waxes his chain. No issues.

Narayan is it 3-4 times or 3-4 chains, in terms of reusing the smart link?
What a great thread! Finally we are beginning to have thread specific technical discussions.

Yes, I have read the same. Those magic links are one time use and throw according to Shimano literature. How much do these cost anyway? But many have reused the links 3-4 times for the waxing procedure.

I probably need to get one and stash away in my emergency kit on the bike.

I saw the chain measuring tool in Decathlon. I will probably get it as well for home maintenance. It said 0.5 wear.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 11:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What a great thread! Finally we are beginning to have thread specific technical discussions.

Yes, I have read the same. Those magic links are one time use and throw according to Shimano literature. How much do these cost anyway? But many have reused the links 3-4 times for the waxing procedure.

I probably need to get one and stash away in my emergency kit on the bike.

I saw the chain measuring tool in Decathlon. I will probably get it as well for home maintenance. It said 0.5 wear.
The smart link costs more than a normal 7 or 8 speed chain (450-500 bucks).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks