Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 11:49   #151
BHPian

Re: Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Is it present on Claris brifters?

As for trim, I can understand it being used on front derailleur. But how do you use it on rear derailleur when it os on smallest cog? The spring already reached its outer limit. I think screw adjustment is the only thing you can do.
Yes, even MTB shifters have it: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/techn...ch-adjust.html

I was referring to the FD only for the trim function. (Big Ring + biggest cog combo and Small ring + smallest cog combo like Amol mentioned).
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 21:34   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
I was referring to the FD only for the trim function. (Big Ring + biggest cog combo and Small ring + smallest cog combo like Amol mentioned).
Quote:
As for trim, I can understand it being used on front derailleur. But how do you use it on rear derailleur when it os on smallest cog? The spring already reached its outer limit. I think screw adjustment is the only thing you can do.
Yes only for FD. RD adjustment is all through cable tension knob and limit screws (h/l).
Old 10th September 2023, 10:37   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Yes
Quoting posts to get quick attention.

I tried overhauling rear wheel bearings of my road bike for the first time since I bought the bike. I have experience of doing the same on my hybrid bike so the process wasn't new to me. Both have cup-cone bearings.

But after fixing the bearings, within first 10 kms I started hearing multiple creaks from the bearings. I used multi purpose grease to re-lube the bearings. For hybrid, it never caused any problems, but I think for this roadbike, it is not working. I opened the bearings again and all of the grease moved onto the axle inside hub body. The balls of bearings were pretty dry.

Please let me know if it is the "Multi purpose grease" that is the culprit here? If yes, what type of grease should I get for the bearings? Hope it would be available in nearby automobile store.
Old 10th September 2023, 15:38   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting posts to get quick attention.

Please let me know if it is the "Multi purpose grease" that is the culprit here? If yes, what type of grease should I get for the bearings? Hope it would be available in nearby automobile store.
Sorry bro. This stuff is way out of my DIAH expertise levels. At 100-200 bucks a wheel, I get it done at a shop.
Old 10th September 2023, 20:44   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I opened the bearings again and all of the grease moved onto the axle inside hub body. The balls of bearings were pretty dry.

I think you found out the reason dry bearings. I haven't had cup-cone bearings hub except one time. I use Lucas green automotive grease for bb, headset and wheel hubs. It's cheap compared to bike specific greases like Shimano DA or Park tool. Lucas should be available anywhere. If not Lucas then Maxima also works but it's way too sticky for my liking.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 16:29   #156
BHPian

Hi Experts,

I a new to cycling and owning a basic MTB ST120, please advise on cost effective chain cleaner and lube.

Last edited by DDIS_RE650 : 26th March 2024 at 16:31.
Old 26th March 2024, 22:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
Hi Experts,

I a new to cycling and owning a basic MTB ST120, please advise on cost effective chain cleaner and lube.
Not an expert. But I use Dawn/Joy dish washing liquid to clean chain, cassette, crankset. Equivalent to that in India would be Pril or Vim lime (which is what I used on my Triban RC100). These aren't bicycle specific degreasers but they just work and are not spendy. Besides if you don't use it, someone else will use it in the house.

As for the lube though I couldn't really recommend anything cheap. Decathlon might have something on their website. Deca stuff is generally good quality and cost effective.

I used Squirt which was somewhat expensive. For dusty conditions where I lived Squirt was perfect. It won't create thick sludge like oils do instead it would form flakes of dirt that could be easily washed off with water. Very easy to clean.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks