Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 11:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts

We have a sub-section full of garages offering a wide set of automobile servicing, maintenance & repair, detailing and so much more. Threads like those are useful to so many as information on hidden/lesser known FNGs and multi-brand servicing outlets are made public to a larger set.

Same logic applies to the cycling fraternity. Over the last few years, the cycling population (in and outside the forum) has grown by leaps and bounds. Chances are every 2nd or 3rd person you'd know has a cycle. And with such increasing use of cycles that cost from a few 1000s to multiple lakhs, the need of the hour is reliable servicing outlets for regular repair and maintenance.

So here's an attempt to kick-off with the limited exposure to cycle servicing outlets as well as FNGs I have had the experience over the last few years. Hopefully other cycling bhpians would be able to add to this list with their own experiences and contacts of similar cycle repair shops.

Note: What I am sharing below are the ones I'd recommend. Apart from these, I have serviced my cycles over time at various other outlets/roadside shops and the experience has been mixed and all over the place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

VeloDoctor (website)
City: Chennai
Shop outlet: Bicycle service@doorstep
Experience Summary: Excellent

Instead of the traditional service, they offer servicing at your home. Requirement - a small parking/place for them to do the servicing. They have set packages (gold/silver) for your road/mtb/hybrid bikes with parts replacement at additional cost. All repairs and service work are quoted on an individual basis upon arrival as they look over the bicycle and get agreement what level of service is required and what parts need replacing.

My roadbike hadn't been used for ~2 years and was in storage so I went for the full stripdown service (= gold package) early this year. They arrived as per the appointment and the whole work took about ~3 hours. Since I wasn't at home, photos were shared pre- and post-work. Surprisingly a lot of the parts I expected (due to expected wear & tear) was rejected and only the bare minimum work as was needed (gear & brake wires, bearings, etc.) was done.

Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts-img20210203wa0000.jpg

Net cost:
Gold package - 1500
Gear & brake wires - 600
Wheel & fork bearing balls - 150
Cable end caps - 50
Total: 2300 /-

Highly recommend these guys - especially for high end bikes, as they know their stuff and do not push un-necessary repair work on me. I finally got the cycle to Bangalore a few months later (post lockdown) and I can say the work done is excellent - no complaints.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th October 2021 at 12:03.
ninjatalli is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 11:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts

Track N Trail/Narang Cycles (location)
City: Mumbai (Ghatkopar East)
Shop outlet: Repair cabin/room inside TrackNTrail shop
Experience Summary: Good

I purchased my Cannondale from this Track N Trail outlet so went back to them for some minor repairs when I first met Abdul Kalam (+91 82910 37059). While the main shop(s) are focused on sales only, they have let out a small room to Abdul who's an excellent cycle mechanic and has setup his shop in that cabin. The fact that some of the cycling whatsapp groups of Mumbai recommended his name is something that bolstered confidence in his work so when my wife's hybrid required a full service, I took it to him end of last year.

Servicing is of two sorts - a general service and a full strip-down service. We opted for the later as this was the first service post purchasing the pre-owned cycle. Work was done with no major complaints; Abdul will share pictures of the work done on request.

However the fact that Abdul supports the work of two shops plus direct (past) cycle customers determines the servicing duration. If you hand your cycle on weekdays and if his load is less, you'll get your cycle the same day. Else it might take more than a day or even two days. Which is what happened with us as I gave the cycle to him over the weekend and got it on Monday only. The cycle shop owners stay away from the servicing aspect and one only has to deal with Abdul directly. Even for any parts replacement (which goes directly to the shop's wares), Abdul is the guy to talk to and figure out what is needed.

Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts-img20201030wa0000.jpg

Net cost:
Servicing: ~1500 + other repairs
New chain: 800
Total: ~3000 (don't remember the full details of the work done)

I would recommend Abdul with a caveat that you go with him with clarity on what you need to get done. About mid June, I took my hybrid for a general servicing (after ~1 year of usage) - Abdul came back saying the chain needed repair (referenced to the chain wear indicator tool). When I argued it's less than a year of ownership with proper maintenance over the year, he doubled down saying no, the chain is still good and he was just suggesting a replacement might be on the cards.

Apart from that one (over-selling) aspect, Abdul's work been good for both the cycles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capt. M S Sriram (no website / mob: +91 98866 97151)
City: Bangalore
Experience Summary: Very good

It had been over a year of heavy usage of my hybrid with quite visible (and audible) servicing requirements. Plus on a recent trip, I had dropped the cycle (on drivetrain side) which had it's own possible repair requirement. I had been asking for suggestions for servicing outlets across (south) Bangalore when fellow cyclist bhpian @narayanang76 recommended Sriram. A one man army who offers servicing at your doorstep with two servicing plans - basic servicing for ~2k and strip down servicing for ~3.2k, with replacement of parts costs being additional.

I took up his suggestion and set up an appointment with Sriram. On his request I shared pics of my cycle especially the core components basis which Sriram suggested the second servicing plan. A few days later he landed up at my place and set up his shop and got to work. Apart from the servicing, he was able to point out my rear derailleur was slightly bent (probably due to the fall) however there was no permanent damage. Post the work done, Sriram was able to highlight a few important points (e.g. fork steerer had signs of early rusting, headset bearing were dry/no grease) with pictures and suggestive actions.

As for the work done, no complaints except for one - he tightened the (new) brake pads hard (while mildly touching the tire) and advised to let the pads lose some of the initial shine. A day later while doing a long ride, I realized after ~80 kms of riding that the brakes were still rubbing hard against the wheel; and then only loosened the grip. Still that fault was partly with me too (for not checking before the ride).

Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts-img20210929wa0001.jpg

Net cost:
Servicing: 3250
Rear brake pads: 200
Bearings replacement/greasing: 150
Gear alignment (on wife's hybrid): 125
Total: 3725 /-

I'd recommend Sriram for sure, except for the fact that he's a bit expensive (compared to my past experiences at other places). Not aware of the full servicing costs at other options in Bangalore so I guess others can chip in.

Random Trivia: Sriram's mobile number is of the series 9886... - a very popular series of Hutch network introduced back in 2004. That's quite a long time to hold on to that number I must say!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th October 2021 at 18:52.
ninjatalli is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 05:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:06   #4
BANNED

Re: Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts

In Chennai I'd recommend Pro Bikers, Kandhanchavadi, OMR very highly. I have had my B-twin folding bike serviced there multiple times over the years; I much prefer their service to Decathlon, the original vendor (which is half a kilometre down the road). They are friendly, thorough and professional.

I even had the 52t crank replaced with a 60t one (sourced online), giving a development comparable to a road bike. They did a perfect job. It's my daily commute, 15+15km.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The costs are a revelation. It costs much more than an average scooter at FNG to service a bicycle!
sagarpadaki is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The costs are a revelation. It costs much more than an average scooter at FNG to service a bicycle!
Most cycle mechanics also work in much cleaner working environs than most motorcycle and scooters mechanics. Which is also a function of the fact that cycles are inherently much cleaner with minimal to no fluids compared to motorcycles and scooters. Cycle parts are also very delicate and it is extremely easy for a ham-handed hathoda style untrained mechanic to eventually get the job "done" but having permanently ruined expensive part/s such that very soon down the line you will have escalating issues and have expensive replacements. Such is less common on more robust motorcycle and scooter parts. But even there, while you will take a kinetic or a pulsar or old Bullet to a local mechanic you will still go to the trained service centers for the high end KTMs.

Personally, for me, these service packages have never made sense to me be it regular or complete strip-down or any color of metal or precious stone. That's the preventive style of all-in cycle maintenance. While mine is the regular tinkering and Just In Time need based style. My theory (not scientifically tested so call it a hypothesis) is that not all parts on a cycle degrade and need attention at the same rate. A package therefore is always going to be a compromise. Some parts you are going to delay beyond what you should till the bike is given for the package treatment. Other parts don't really need attention yet, but will get it under the package nonetheless.

Most shops sell the packages on the basis of how many little bits are offered in a discounted price compared to if you add up the labor of each of those same bits individually. But then it also depends on over what period of time you do these services and whether over that same period of time you would have done all of those bits and if yes, would you have actually done all of them at the same time. Which circles around to my argument of the timing versus superfluous/delayed compromise above.

Net net you choose your approach basis what type of rider you are, riding you do, and resources and expertise available to you, and all of which fit in your mental matrix of value and affordability and time and convenience and peace of mind while on the road.

Great thread Ninja.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 6th October 2021 at 12:20.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 12:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
In Chennai I'd recommend Pro Bikers, Kandhanchavadi, OMR very highly.
Thank you. Care to share more details on your servicing/repair experiences (what was done, costs, etc.)?

I had a very negative view of Pro Bikers (/owner Suresh). Back in 2014, I had called him up for a service of my Btwin Rockrider MTB. He outrightly refused (and in a very negative tone) basically indicating he would not be focusing on low end bikes. Good to hear positive experience from fellow riders. I believe he owns (or used to) own another store in the city too.

Quote:
Deja vu. @Red Liner recently remarked that branded tire (e.g. Continental) purchase prices were almost similar to his motorbike's tire costs

Think of this way to justify the servicing costs - my roadbike purchase price (back in 2014) was ~1.2L - I am aware of fellow bhpians with cycles even more expensive than that. How much does the average scooter cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Net net you choose your approach basis what type of rider you are, riding you do, and resources and expertise available to you, and all of which fit in your mental matrix of value and affordability and time and convenience and peace of mind while on the road.
Thanks @doc. Agree completely!
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 14:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Deja vu. @Red Liner recently remarked that branded tire (e.g. Continental) purchase prices were almost similar to his motorbike's tire costs
I think there is also a strong element of numbers and demand and supply here. Motorcycle tyre volumes by global (or Indian) manufacturers versus Bicycle tyre volumes. That is huge difference. So obviously the cycle tyres are sold at much meatier margins. That said, the top of the line bicycle tyre Continental GP 500 costs under 5000 bucks, while something similar for a KTM from say Metzeler would cost northwards of 20,000 bucks. Both would last nearly as long, so that evens out the rupee per kilometre calculation as well.
Old 6th October 2021, 14:59   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you. Care to share more details on your servicing/repair experiences (what was done, costs, etc.)?
I think a full servicing cost ₹1000+parts. Have had various things done there: the front crank replacement that I mentioned (I sourced those parts myself), rear axle, rear cassette and chain (multiple times). Cost was always reasonable.

I last gave it for servicing there in early 2020 I think. Didn't ride much or service it during lockdown; a few months ago I gave it to Decathlon for servicing, but never again (they returned it icky with WD-40 which they used for cleaning all over!)

Quote:
I had a very negative view of Pro Bikers (/owner Suresh). Back in 2014, I had called him up for a service of my Btwin Rockrider MTB. He outrightly refused (and in a very negative tone) basically indicating he would not be focusing on low end bikes. Good to hear positive experience from fellow riders. I believe he owns (or used to) own another store in the city too.
Interesting. I have seen Hercules cycles in their workshop. Yes, his father / family owns Balaji Cycles in T Nagar. After the crank change, I posted a photo on facebook and tagged them, and Suresh friended me. This was probably around 2017. But I'm not active on facebook now.

I have also taken my son's kick-scooter for a clamp replacement, which they did free of charge!

[ps] also: since I have a folding bike, they asked if I wanted to test ride a Brompton that they had in stock. I asked the cost. They said 1.5L. I said no way I can buy that. They said doesn't matter, ride it and see. So I did. It folds to a much more compact size but to be honest I liked the ride quality on my 15K B-Twin better :-)

Last edited by rsidd : 6th October 2021 at 15:09. Reason: additional anecdote
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 15:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I purchased my Cannondale

my wife's hybrid
I remember you saying that your Merida was faster than your Cannondale. I see that the Cannondale is V brakes while the Merida is discs. Is the Merida a double crank versus the triple on the Cannondale? What's the approximate weight of both these bikes, have you ever measured? They are both very nice high end hybrids, so am really interested to know what the extra moolah buys. Being rim brakes (and a Cannondale), I'd actually have my money on the Cannondale being lighter.

P.S. Scratch the 2x vs 3x crank question. I just looked at both photos enlarged and see than you have a triple on both.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th October 2021 at 15:33.
Old 6th October 2021, 16:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much does the average scooter cost?
Average cost of service our TVS Wego is around 1.5k to 2k including labor and consumables. We get it serviced yearly.
Old 6th October 2021, 17:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Average cost of service our TVS Wego is around 1.5k to 2k including labor and consumables. We get it serviced yearly.
That's terribly expensive for a scooty.

My Duke 390 has never cost me more than 2500 bucks. Labour and oil/consumables. Max 3000 bucks at Siliguri in the midst of a 6500 km north Sikkim tour.

My Baleno usually costs not more than 3-4000 bucks for service and oil/consumables. And a free pickup and drop since mine is one of their oldest regularly and faithfully serviced cars there.

Both yearly or sometimes 1.5-yearly. Both at the company flagship ASS's.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th October 2021 at 17:17.
Old 7th October 2021, 17:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I remember you saying that your Merida was faster than your Cannondale.
The Merida has more of a racing (/road-oriented) geometry - in fact, if I fit a drop bar on the frame, it'd work perfectly fine. The handles are more lower bent as compared to the Cannondale (kind of a Continental GT650 vs INT650 difference). I find riding on the latter more relaxed and hence the 'slower' tag basis some short rides. To be more accurate, I need to do atleast a 30-40km ride on both cycles to tell you the actual scene on ground, but face-to-face, the Quick 7 gives a feeler more of a city commuter bike while the Merida doesn't.

Bicycle Servicing | Repair shops, FNGs and the sorts-combined.jpg

Quote:
What's the approximate weight of both these bikes, have you ever measured? They are both very nice high end hybrids, so am really interested to know what the extra moolah buys. Being rim brakes (and a Cannondale), I'd actually have my money on the Cannondale being lighter.
You are correct - the Merida is 12 kg, while the Cannondale came to just a shy below 12.5 kg. Apart from the minor differences in components (rim vs disc brakes, etc.), I don't see a clear reason for the price difference to be honest.

Btw this is getting OT wrt this thread - I'm surprised to see none of the other riders sharing their servicing related details. Hopefully others too jump in with their servicing experiences.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2021 at 10:39. Reason: edited
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 09:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Capt. M S Sriram (no website / mob: +91 98866 97151)
City: Bangalore
Experience Summary: Very good

I'd recommend Sriram for sure, except for the fact that he's a bit expensive (compared to my past experiences at other places). Not aware of the full servicing costs at other options in Bangalore so I guess others can chip in.
Ninja - Nice to know that you liked it and had a nice experience

I have been getting my bikes serviced @ my doorsteps by Sriram in Bangalore for last couple of years. So far all of them have been periodic maintenance services, and I keep checking my usage and chain wear for my bikes and I schedule the service either once a year or 5K kms usage.

So far it has been an excellent experience getting my bikes serviced by Sriram. Some reasons I go with him:
1) Bikes being serviced in front of your eyes, compared to the black box experience of leaving it in a store and not knowing what exactly being done. Additionally I can save some time for going to the store twice for leaving the bike for service and picking it up after service
2) Get to know more knowledge and details about the bike during service
3) He is a certified mechanic and has enormous knowledge about various bikes and technicalities
4) He also arranges the spares needed and gets it for you
5) Some of the good stores I enquired, has comparable price tags for the tune-up service and strip-down service options.
6) He also does bike fit at an additional charge

He is a cyclist and also does coaching and I get to ride with him sometimes when he comes my side of the town.

From all my experience with him so far, I will certainly recommend Sriram for bike servicing in Bangalore.

BTW - he is commonly addressed as 'Captain' and not to be confused with the Capt rank :-)

regards,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 8th October 2021 at 09:52.
narayanang76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

Not much useful for majority of the visitors on this thread (as I am based in Singapore), but I will add in the details.

I took the FX3 for a check-up last week to Bike Domestique, a boutique bicycle service place not too far from where I live. Appointments need to be fixed via FB messenger and they are operating only in the afternoons, late evenings. Though slightly on the pricey side, the service was awesome. For regular checks, drivetrain tuning, and drivetrain cleaning, they charged 30 SGD ( around INR 1600). I am thinking to take our bikes there every 1000-1500 kms for routine checkup.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed