Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 16:10   #586
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi folks,

I am looking at buying a used car (Vento or Ecosport) to replace my Swift. I would prefer to buy from the company resale - DasWelt or Ford Assured. How is the experience with them - do they do a good job with the 100+ point checks and how useful is the used car warranty ? Looking for some inputs, thanks.
Old 11th October 2015, 08:18   #587
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Some queries while purchasing from dealer.

1. Payment to be made to Dealer or First Owner i.e. if cheque issued. The car is still in owner's name, what if owner raises objection later. How to make sure before making payment. Should I keep 20-30K balance before ownership transfer.

2. How much to withheld before transfer is done .

3. The car is serviced from Authorised Dealer and the kms is correct for last 2 service records.

4. Insurance expired, which dealer says will be renewed and given. Does this happen after ownership change ?

5. What forms/declaration to check from owner to ensure car sold to dealer. Apart from Form-28/Form-29/Form30 for transfer.

6. Can I ask NOC from Owner for the sale of car or any acknowlegment from owner that car is sold to dealer.

7. Should I go for routine service before payment. The Authorized service center says service is due since it is 3 months, but running only 1000 kms since last service.

The car is finalized as per our T-BHP used car checklist, but want to make sure before releasing payment.

cheers
MKP
Old 11th October 2015, 08:41   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Hi folks,

I am looking at buying a used car (Vento or Ecosport) to replace my Swift. I would prefer to buy from the company resale - DasWelt or Ford Assured. How is the experience with them - do they do a good job with the 100+ point checks and how useful is the used car warranty ? Looking for some inputs, thanks.
You should try to buy a second hand car from a direct seller as it helps you know more about the car. For eg : you can see if that person has multiple cars, profession of the seller may tell you alot about the nature of usage etc etc.
All such details are hard to obtain when you are dealing with a dealer.

Another huge benefit of buying directly is that you will end up getting the same or even better car at a lower price.

Dealers have a bad reputation for getting involved in several malpractices which make the car look very lucrative to you.

With regard to the 100+ point check, IMO a trustworthy and knowledgeable mechanic can do a better job for you at a very nominal price.
Old 12th October 2015, 14:56   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Ive been a proud owner of a 2014 Vento highline petrol for the last 6 months 😊.
I definitely overpaid the price, paid 7.6 for a 15 month old (from date of invoice) with 13700kms on the odo.
The reason i stuck to it was because i found the seller to be very genuine, and the car beutifully maintained.
Great! Although a bit pricey, but looks like you have got a great deal.
How about the maintenance cost of Vento ? I guess, it must be greater than City.
Old 12th October 2015, 17:57   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Great! Although a bit pricey, but looks like you have got a great deal.

How about the maintenance cost of Vento ? I guess, it must be greater than City.

I havent seen the ASS so far, since the car was serviced 2 months before i bought it, and the vento has a 1yr/15k kms service interval.
But Honda aint cheap either. Our 2012 city V AT costs between 4-6k every 6 months.
The huge difference in build quality, a much better steering and suspension set up is worth the minor difference.
Also, i feel the city has excessive lumbar support to the back, making it uncomfortable for long drives.
Old 31st October 2015, 13:04   #591
BHPian

Hello,
Like all auto enthusiasts, we all aim to own luxury cars and feel on top of the world. However, not all of us are adept in going through the rigours of shortlisting, vetting, choosing and ensuring the right buy. My question is this: Is there someone who can act as a finder, charge a finder fee and help people like me get their dream cars? I am sure we all will be ready to pay a fee if someone can help zero in and find the right car.
Please share some thoughts and inputs; if this is already an existing practice and who can be contacted for the same.
cheers!
Old 1st November 2015, 08:09   #592
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure a lot of you have bought second hand cars or sold cars and received payment for the same. My question is regarding the mode of payment you used. Why? Because whether you are buying or selling, it's your hard earned money and you don't want to loose it. So let use examine the pros and cons of the various transaction methods. Please note I am not discussing paper work related to transfer of the vehicle and checking the vehicle etc. This has been discussed in detail in other threads.

1. Cash:
Pros
- One of the simplest methods. One party has the cash, the other has the car. You meet at a specified place (usually the sellers residence or office), buyer hands over the cash and seller hands over the car.

Cons
- Your CA may not approve of such a transaction.
- Carrying large amounts of cash to an unknown location is risky.
- Possibility of fake notes (if you are the seller).

2. Cheque / Demand Draft / NEFT:
Pros
- Your CA will love it.
- No risk of carrying large amounts of cash.
- You have a record of the transaction in case you need to make a police complaint for whatever reason.

Cons
- Possibility of Cheque bouncing or fake Demand Draft.
- Seller will not hand over the car until the cheque / DD is realised or the NEFT is complete. Now what if he decides not to give you the car or he just disappears. Money down the drain. Yes you can file a Police complaint etc. but then that takes time and there is no guarantee you'll get your money back.

3. Exchange:
Pros
- Safe as it is done at a dealer (New/Used). Just hand over your old car and adjust the difference in the new car price.

Cons
- Exchange deals mean that you usually don't get the best price. The deal may look good but you are usually better selling off the old car separately.
- Possibility of cheating by some dealers, specially the used car dealers.
- Limited choice.

Please give your views on the above and feel free to add more modes of payment and pros and cons to the above.

I am planning to buy a second hand luxury car (obviously influenced by a VERY popular thread here) and I'm worried about the payments as it will be a significant amount of money.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 1st November 2015 at 08:12.
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:52   #593
Senior - BHPian

Guys, if I am getting an out of state car registered in Bangalore AND getting it transferred in my name, can it be registered in any of the 7-8 RTOs? Or does it have to be the one pertaining to my residential address?

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd November 2015 at 21:55.
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:47   #594
BHPian

I had a few queries regarding "The Seller needs to get the insurance policy transferred in the name of the buyer and also claim a No Claim Certificate." i.e.
a)On the receipt of the modified RC (new owner), the seller has to submit the same to the insurance company and get the insurance transferred. Is this the responsibility of the seller only?
b) In the interim period i.e till the actual change in ownership, can the buyer use the insurance policy which is on the seller's name?
c) Is there any liability/additional charges to the seller and the buyer when the insurance policy gets transferred.
Old 8th November 2015, 19:52   #595
BHPian

Hello!

I am on the lookout of a hatchback which will be used for my daily office commute about 18-20 kms in total and Occasional Mangalore trips(300kms).

I had booked Renault Kwid, however the longer waiting period and lower power of Kwid since I am on a enthusiastic side of driving pulls me back from it. I have shortlisted two used cars from an online dealer where they certify and provide one year warranty. Please help me decide among,

1) Chevrolet Beat, Petrol LT
No of Owners : 1
Odo Reading : 59000
Insurance : Comprehensive, about to expire this month
Stock Condition, certified as no accidents, Insurance shows no claim bonus 20%
Minor 2-3 Scratches
Fixed Price: 3.25 Lcs

2) Chevrolet Beat Diesel LS
No of Owners: 1
Odo : 60,000
Insurance: Comprehensive, Expired in Sep
Excellent Exteriors, however inspection report says Rear LH door has been replaced(I couldn't make out though). I could see LH headlamps are also new, however certified accident free.
Fixed Price: 3.2 Lcs

Is it wise to pick one of these over new Kwid, if so Diesel one?

Thanks in advance!
Shreyas.
Old 29th November 2015, 15:03   #596

Passat 2010 1.8 TSI

Hi everyone,
I'm going for a Passat 2010 1.8 TSI (51,000kms) with service record !
The car is in immaculate condition ,I drove it yesterday it needs no work and runs like a rocket !it was a company owned car and has been only driven in the city almost everyday

Ive sealed the deal for 6.50L and the car has new tyres and an insurance valid upto August 2016!
I'm buying it from a nearby dealer ! Any recommendations ?
What all to be careful of ?
Old 13th December 2015, 17:21   #597

Need opinion about a used car:

Ford Ikon, 10 year old. Single owner. Petrol. Price Rs.1.2L. Driven 90K kms.

- Are 10 year old Ford cars reliable ?
- Do we get parts for these cars ?
- What things should I be taking in to account for this kind of 10 year old car from Ford ?

I am looking for my first car. Want to drive it for couple of years before I go for a new costly car.
Old 20th December 2015, 01:26   #598
BHPian

Need an opinion on buying this used car.
Chevrolet beat LT diesel 2011
Single owner driven 20k kms.
Insurance valid till august 2016.
Owner had quoted 3.75 and ready to come down till 3.5.

Please advise on a fair price for this car.
Thanks.
Old 20th December 2015, 02:40   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Please advise on a fair price for this car.
Thanks.
Check out the valuations online on sites like cars24.com & indianbluebook.com/tbhp's price calc for a first estimate. Up it by some 15-25k in blore approx.

Coming to this, I wd prefer to stay away from a Chevy due to lack of dealers/owners. Also, this diesel seem to be priced a bit higher and wd go for 3-3.2L range instd of 3.5L. But then, dealers are quoting 3.5-4L for this car. Also, verify why the usage is soo low.
Old 21st December 2015, 13:33   #600

Old GM cars are strictly NO. IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks