Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 02:31   #496
MrA
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgam.boonyi View Post
Hi MrA,

Unfortunately i cannot help you with your query. I would be grateful if you could help answer some of mine.

I too am looking for a used car (or the new nano) for a city car in Srinagar.

1. What is the used car market like and where can i find listings? Any reputable used car outlets to consider?
(I am currently in Canada and most of the online sites seem to have no real traction in Kashmir or the market is just too small. Jammu seems to have better cars both quality and quantity wise).

2. How bad are the roads post floods? (Have you been back?)

3. How safe is the used market due to the high possibility of a refurbished flooded vehicle?

4. How much is the road tax in J&K for a new vehicle? And roughly what would i be looking at for insurance of say a hatchback valued between 4-5L?

Great to see another Kashir on Team-bhp.

B.B
Hey buddy, really nice to find a "Koshur/Kashmiri" on TBHP . Let me answer your questions in the order of which you've asked them:

1. Used car market is very bad over here, the dealers are not reasonable at all and demand absurd/unreasonable amount of money, always trying to rip-off customers. However we do have True Value outlets of used Maruti cars which are considerably trustworthy, you'll find one near Nowgam bypass named Peaks Auto. You should also try on OLX Srinagar/Jammu, Cartrade, Cardekho and Quikr to find a direct deal with an individual seller, just beware of the local dealers.

2. The highway is very bad, even the CM and ministers are travelling frequently by trains to avoid the bad roads and traffic jams. However, the Srinagar city roads haven't deteriorated much except the insane influx of cars. The roads are same as they were 10 years ago and the cars have increased tenfolds.

3. Used car market is not so safe, people are trying to sell flooded vehicles and hence go for a proper checkup from a nice mechanic to ensure that the car hasn't been flooded.

4. For a small hatchback road tax is very less as compared to the tax paid in other states of India. For a car like Swift or Figo, one has to pay around 8,500 INR and for a bigger car like City or Verna the tax is around 20-25k INR.

P.S. Have you had any experience with nano? It sounds terrible, lacks basic power required for a small car and isn't safe at all. I'd advice you to go for a second hand Maruti 800 instead. In 4-5L range you'll find a very good city car like Datsun Go, i10/Grande i10 etc etc. Check out the cars and pricing on cardekho or carwale. I'm thinking of buying Punto 90hp, feels like the right car for Kashmir with strong built and high ground clearance, however, there's no proper FIAT service centre in Srinagar so trying to figure that out
MrA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 11:14   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrA View Post
P.S. Have you had any experience with nano? It sounds terrible, lacks basic power required for a small car and isn't safe at all. I'd advice you to go for a second hand Maruti 800 instead. In 4-5L range you'll find a very good city car like Datsun Go, i10/Grande i10 etc etc. Check out the cars and pricing on cardekho or carwale. I'm thinking of buying Punto 90hp, feels like the right car for Kashmir with strong built and high ground clearance, however, there's no proper FIAT service centre in Srinagar so trying to figure that out
Thanks for the info!

You sir, are right when you say " It sounds terrible, lacks basic power required for a small car and isn't safe at all". I would have preferred to go for an Alto K10 AMT, but it seems that the waiting period is too long. Since i am not used to driving stick shift and on the other side of the road, so AMT is a must. Last year I had a used wagon r and it was a decent car but my legs died from the shifting. Also that car got destroyed, and was last seen on my uncles roof. RIP

I need the car from next month and it will have a tough 6 months on the road between helping with the construction and wedding and the numerous shopping trips involved. After the fact the car will remain a dedicated shopping/driver car. God knows who will be driving it post wedding and before my final move back to Kashmir, but safe to say the car will not be loved until i return. Looking at the way drivers abuse cars its best he has his own when not travelling with family. Since used market is not an option due to shady dealings and time constraints from my end, the nano is the most vfm vehicle available.

Fortunately my dad has a friend working at Tata and due to him i am not too worried about that aspect of the car, be it urgent delivery or servicing. Probably by December we will consider an SUV and a Sedan/ or an SUV and CUV as proper transportation.

I did try the punto and its a nice drivers car. I would definitely consider it as something to hold my soul together. Perhaps the ABARTH when it comes

Cheers

B.B
Old 11th May 2015, 11:43   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Majority of the 3-4 lac cars are zero ncaps. At the entry level, ALL are . If safety is a concern, you'll have to spend a bit more. Don't buy an Alto instead of a nano thinking it'll be better.

Last edited by mayankk : 11th May 2015 at 12:00.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 13:08   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Majority of the 3-4 lac cars are zero ncaps. At the entry level, ALL are . If safety is a concern, you'll have to spend a bit more. Don't buy an Alto instead of a nano thinking it'll be better.
If you want that aspect a VW Polo / Vento, or the new Fiesta is what you want to splurge on

Also - for those bhpians in bangalore, can someone recommend a reliable mechanic somewhere in / near sarjapur road (total mall) who can be entrusted with appraising a 2nd hand car (independent of the cartrade.com, pre owned brand dealership and/or seller's assertions) - on what is a reasonable offer price, how much needs to be spent in fixing / replacing the essentials (engine, brakes, gears, suspension, tyres, battery etc). Something in the 3.5 to 4.5 lakh range so a five or six year old figo or something of the sort. Thanks.

Last edited by hserus : 11th May 2015 at 13:11.
Old 11th May 2015, 17:57   #500
MrA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgam.boonyi View Post
Thanks for the info!

I need the car from next month and it will have a tough 6 months on the road between helping with the construction and wedding and the numerous shopping trips involved. After the fact the car will remain a dedicated shopping/driver car. God knows who will be driving it post wedding and before my final move back to Kashmir, but safe to say the car will not be loved until i return. Looking at the way drivers abuse cars its best he has his own when not travelling with family. Since used market is not an option due to shady dealings and time constraints from my end, the nano is the most vfm vehicle available.

B.B
The new Alto & 800 look like toys, they've completely spoiled the looks, old ones looked decent and mature on the contrary. Nano seems like the right choice but seriously it doesn't feel/look/perform/sound so right, IMHO, plus people here in Kashmir look upon it with funny/wicked stares If you need a car for just 2,3 months on use and discard basis and are not concerned about the formerly mentioned concerns, then you should go for it

Also, do check out the new Celerio automatic, it's within 5L bracket. If price is not a concern then you can also check out the automatic Polo GT TSI, it's a great machine, insanely fast, solid built, great on safety and handling and you can have it for long term use, will cost you around 11L OTR.
Old 11th May 2015, 18:02   #501
MrA
BHPian

Guys I've a few concerns. I would be buying a used 2014 Verna SX VTVT, the insurance has already expired few days ago, however, the car is in perfect condition. Will I face any issues in renewing it? Also as I'll be renewing it myself, do I still need to complete any insurance transfer procedure? And could anyone give me an idea about the charges involved in getting all the paperwork done while buying a used car? The car is registered in the same city where I'm living.
Old 11th May 2015, 18:53   #502
Senior - BHPian

As the insurance has already expired you can go to the same insurer's nearest office with a copy of the previous insurance paperwork and sale receipt, and get a fresh quote for the vehicle in your name.

You will therefore be able to inherit any no claim bonus on the vehicle that way.

Quote:
Guys I've a few concerns. I would be buying a used 2014 Verna SX VTVT, the insurance has already expired few days ago, however, the car is in perfect condition. Will I face any issues in renewing it? Also as I'll be renewing it myself, do I still need to complete any insurance transfer procedure? And could anyone give me an idea about the charges involved in getting all the paperwork done while buying a used car? The car is registered in the same city where I'm living.
Old 11th May 2015, 19:36   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You will therefore be able to inherit any no claim bonus on the vehicle that way.
As far as I know, ncb is not vehicle bound, but owner bound.
Old 11th May 2015, 20:54   #504
Senior - BHPian

Yeah my mistake. The insurer will still want to see sale paperwork before registering the car in your name.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:18   #505
MrA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
As the insurance has already expired you can go to the same insurer's nearest office with a copy of the previous insurance paperwork and sale receipt, and get a fresh quote for the vehicle in your name.

And what if I opt for a different insurer? Need to know if there'll be an issue in renewing an expired policy that was bought from a different company.
Old 11th May 2015, 23:04   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And what if I opt for a different insurer? Need to know if there'll be an issue in renewing an expired policy that was bought from a different company.
Whoever you opt for, it'll be treated as a new policy, not a renewal. That will entail a check on the car. It's easy enough, and the checks are more or less cursory. Scratches, dents, vin, windshield etc.
Old 12th May 2015, 16:47   #507
BHPian

Hi all,

I am paying the token advance towards an OHC sometime this evening(private seller, not a dealer). My question is when am I entitled to ask for the car keys. Immediately after the full amount is paid and Form 29 and the 'Delivery Note' are signed? Or only after the transfer of ownership is complete (which will take 2 to 3 weeks time)?

P.S:- Bangalore - Indiranagar RTO.

When I bought the W124, it got the car the same day I paid the cash since I was getting the car from a friend of my relative.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 12th May 2015 at 16:48.
Old 12th May 2015, 18:08   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi all,

I am paying the token advance towards an OHC sometime this evening(private seller, not a dealer). My question is when am I entitled to ask for the car keys. Immediately after the full amount is paid and Form 29 and the 'Delivery Note' are signed? Or only after the transfer of ownership is complete (which will take 2 to 3 weeks time)?

P.S:- Bangalore - Indiranagar RTO.

When I bought the W124, it got the car the same day I paid the cash since I was getting the car from a friend of my relative.
The car is yours and you are entitled to take the keys the moment you pay the amount to the seller. If by DD or Cash, immediately. If by cheque, then when the cheque clears.
Otherwise what stops the fraudsters from running away with the money and the car.
Old 14th May 2015, 18:19   #509

Hi Guys,
Came across a 2012 Honda jazz X driven 41,760 kms(insurance expired). This car was advertised on Carwale (certified used car by absure) by a dealer in bombay. Test drove the car did not hear any unusual noise or any abnormal behavior. Got the car checked by trusted mechanic, he's okayed it and said apart from some suspension work ( cost approx. 1000) and two new front tyres the car is good to go. The dealer is ready to let it go for rs.4,15,000/-. For a discontinued car, which did not sell that well, is it a right price to pay. Plus will service be qn issue? Please help???
Old 21st May 2015, 15:43   #510
BHPian

Model upgrade dealer fraud

Hi Friends. I have read about used car dealers sticking the decal/sticker of a higher model car onto a lower model to inflate price.

Recently my friend was offered a late 2012, 1.6 SX CRDi Verna driven for 50,000 kms for 6.5 lacs.

When I saw that the car had wheelcovers instead of alloys, I got suspicious as I know the 1.6 SX CRDi comes with OEM alloys. The 1.4 does not. Upon enquiry the dealer said that the 1.6 came both with and without alloys so I wanted to check with experts/1.6 diesel owners here.

Is there a reliable way to check if this car is indeed a 1.6 and not a 1.4 and if not how to avoid this type of malpractise in general?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks