Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 15:39   #406

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2014 at 16:16.
ratheeshba is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th April 2014, 16:55   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Better not agree to sign again. This is a dirty trick played by brokers who act as if they are buying the car and later sell it to someone else. In order to avoid the addition of an owner in the RC they dont change the name in the middle of the deal. Hence, now he is asking you to sign again. That will mean any actions committed in your car all this while from august will hold you responsible. Refuse to sign the papers and tell him that you sold the car to that person and not the new chap who has turned up. Also intimate the RTO of selling your car by producing your copy of the form 28,29 and 30.

When I sold our Omni the buyer wanted us to sign a blank set of forms with no name of the owner. However we didnt agree to sign until he wrote the name and details of the buyer along with the date of transaction.

This is a bit off topic but since we already have a few comments related to the topic I thought I will post my experience as well.
So I had bought this Maruti Esteem in 2010 from an individual seller. We parted on amicable conditions. I just bargained for 5k with the price and never got it checked with the mechanic etc as the seller mentioned that his father had been driving the car and has maintained it really well. I met his father too at their home and I could not get myself to question an elderly gentleman and bought the car on face value. I had a minor glitch the same day where the clutch wire broke and I was stranded and had to park the car on road overnight, but apart from that it was a joyous ride and I never had any complains from the car.
Now to the grey shades of the story. Unfortunately because I was out of India, busy with other commitments, being naive etc I did not transfer the ownership of the car to my name. Soon there came a time when I was shifting out of Bangalore to Mumbai and wanted to get all the paperwork complete before taking the car with me. Now the glitch was that I lost the original RC Book of the car and it could be reissued only the last owner mentioned in the book. I payed around 10k to the broker, called up the previous owner who graciously agreed and came over to Bangalore from Mumbai to finish the work. We(broker guy n me) met the owner and his son in the RTO. It was there that he started questioning the document stating that he cannot sign as I would have committed numerous crimes with the car from the time it was sold. I showed them the RTO receipt of all the fines (3,i.e parking, wrong turn etc) registered and payed in the name of the car. Inspite of this I was humiliated and treated as if I was some criminal who is trying to loot these nice people.
I have still not been able to get the papers of the car and now it just lies in the garage as my second car which I cannot sell or lend to anyone. When I bought the car I trusted my seller, but had such horrible experience when it was their turn to return the good faith. I agree that anyone will be sceptic with dealers, but this was not the case. I had a genuine problem and I needed their help. So much so for good faith huh.
Old 11th April 2014, 17:12   #408
BHPian

Had a query, if the vehicle is leased by company to his/her employee, what are the checkpoints in terms of documents while purchase ? and will the company be first owner and employee be second owner once the lease term is complete ?

Do I become third owner if I purchase in this case ?

Cheers !!!
Old 11th April 2014, 19:09   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillife View Post
It was there that he started questioning the document stating that he cannot sign as I would have committed numerous crimes with the car from the time it was sold. I showed them the RTO receipt of all the fines (3,i.e parking, wrong turn etc) registered and payed in the name of the car. Inspite of this I was humiliated and treated as if I was some criminal who is trying to loot these nice people.
I have still not been able to get the papers of the car and now it just lies in the garage as my second car which I cannot sell or lend to anyone. When I bought the car I trusted my seller, but had such horrible experience when it was their turn to return the good faith. I agree that anyone will be sceptic with dealers, but this was not the case. I had a genuine problem and I needed their help. So much so for good faith huh.
I hope you at least have the delivery note and related documents. If yes, then you will have proof that the car is sold to you. If no, then I dont think there is much of a thing to worry.

Next, the seller IMO is dumb to not sign the transfer papers irrespective of what offences were committed by you. It is in fact stupid to do so because if at all the car gets involved in a shunt or a major one, the seller will still be responsible for everything. Hence, explain the fact that if he doesnt sign the papers, they are indirectly inviting more trouble. Yours is like the opposite of what usually happens. Not sure who is the great person to give such an absurd reason and not sign transfer papers
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 19:20   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
will the company be first owner and employee be second owner once the lease term is complete ?

Do I become third owner if I purchase in this case ?

Cheers !!!
Not sure about completion of the lease term.
But, I do have a friend who purchased a leased vehicle, that was directly transferred from the company name to his name (so he is the second owner on RC). Please note that my friend was not the employee of that company.
In this case the transfer was facilitated by the same RTO agent who was already handling RTO transactions for that company. RTO agent got all the necessary paperwork from the company directly.

Hope this helps.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 19:22   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I hope you at least have the delivery note and related documents. If yes, then you will have proof that the car is sold to you. If no, then I dont think there is much of a thing to worry.

Next, the seller IMO is dumb to not sign the transfer papers irrespective of what offences were committed by you. It is in fact stupid to do so because if at all the car gets involved in a shunt or a major one, the seller will still be responsible for everything. Hence, explain the fact that if he doesnt sign the papers, they are indirectly inviting more trouble. Yours is like the opposite of what usually happens. Not sure who is the great person to give such an absurd reason and not sign transfer papers

Thanks for the post!! I do have the selling documents (Form 28,29etc). I just want the RC to be re issued so that I can get it transferred. I will probably go and check with the broker tomorrow. Till now I felt as if I have committed the supreme act of crime(by being late in transferring the car) and this is my fate & punishment.
Old 11th April 2014, 19:49   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillife View Post
Thanks for the post!! I do have the selling documents (Form 28,29etc). I just want the RC to be re issued so that I can get it transferred. I will probably go and check with the broker tomorrow. Till now I felt as if I have committed the supreme act of crime(by being late in transferring the car) and this is my fate & punishment.
Contact the seller and make it clear that they are the ones in trouble if they dont sign papers and not you. That will make them realise their act of stupidity. I still cant believe that a seller wouldnt agree to sign papers. On a lighter note, if I had sold a car to you, I would have come behind you to transfer the car as soon as I saw an offence being registered against my car
Old 12th April 2014, 10:34   #413
BHPian

Hi Everyone.

I am planning to buy a pre-owned Ford Figo diesel. I have the following options to choose from (both cars are in Mumbai):
Figo A: ZXI, Feb 2010, 3.65 lacs and 56,000 kms - Mah First Choice
Figo B: ZXI, Aug 2010, 3.53 lacs and 37,000 kms - individual seller

I am taking both these cars to my mechanic to get his opinion today. I would appreciate if knowledgeable TBHP members can help me with their thoughts. Specifically, I would like your inputs on:
- whether the price quoted above is in the correct range (both prices are negotiable)
- is it preferable to buy from an individual or an outfit like First Choice
- any other points that I need to bear in mind

Would really appreciate if someone could provide a quick revert as I need to close out on the car soon.

Many thanks!

PS: Figo A is without an airbag which was a little surprising as I thought the ZXI always came with driver side airbag. I haven't seen Figo B yet so can't comment on that.
Old 14th April 2014, 17:24   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Not sure about completion of the lease term.
But, I do have a friend who purchased a leased vehicle, that was directly transferred from the company name to his name (so he is the second owner on RC). ........transactions for that company. RTO agent got all the necessary paperwork from the company directly.

Hope this helps.
This answers my query partly, just was curious to understand further on this. I was looking out for a second hand car, and owner mentioned it was in company's name, so wanted to know how the transfer works out and how may owners will be there in the RC book. Anyhow, my deal didn't take place.

Cheers !!!
Old 25th April 2014, 10:37   #415
BHPian

A friend of mine is planning to buy a used Honda CRV. It is a 2006 model , has clocked only 35K Kms and is quoting 8.5L . It is an automatic with 4wd . We are planning to check the car tomorrow for a TD.

1. What should I look out for ?

2. Will Honda continue their support for a 2006 model ?

3. Also there is an automatic Civic for sale , I heard that Honda discontinued Civic in India , is it a good buy ? The owner claims that the car is in excellent conditon.

Any pointers ?
Old 25th April 2014, 10:54   #416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
A friend of mine is planning to buy a used Honda CRV. It is a 2006 model , has clocked only 35K Kms and is quoting 8.5L . It is an automatic with 4wd . We are planning to check the car tomorrow for a TD.

1. What should I look out for ?

2. Will Honda continue their support for a 2006 model ?

3. Also there is an automatic Civic for sale , I heard that Honda discontinued Civic in India , is it a good buy ? The owner claims that the car is in excellent conditon.

Any pointers ?
Honda will have to support customers for 10 years from the time CRV was discontinued and if there is a problem spares should not be an issue to source. The thing is time taken would be longer.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 14:13   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Honda will have to support customers for 10 years from the time CRV was discontinued and if there is a problem spares should not be an issue to source. The thing is time taken would be longer.

Anurag.
Thanks a lot , unfortunately we could not find the CRV at the showroom , for some reason the website mislead us and the showroom salesman had no idea about the cars in his lot .

We finally zeroed in on a used 2005 camry AT. It was owned by a subsidiary company of Toyota and complete service history was available right from day 1. The car had brand new tyres , brand new battery and oil was changed very recently. The car had absolutely no scratches. The only downside was it had clocked 1.9L Kms ,but it felt like a new car .

The car was finalized for 4.25L including all the paper work along with a free oil change before delivery and 2 labour free services from the showroom. Since it was for very minimum usage , we decided to go ahead with the purchase. The car was from Toyota U trust.
Old 29th April 2014, 18:10   #418
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
We finally zeroed in on a used 2005 camry AT. It was owned by a subsidiary company of Toyota and complete service history was available right from day 1. The car had brand new tyres , brand new battery and oil was changed very recently. The car had absolutely no scratches. The only downside was it had clocked 1.9L Kms ,but it felt like a new car
This is the reason Toyota has a good name in reliability and feel. With ~2 lakh kms on the odometer the car will be good to drive around and not feel strained and miss-handled.

If the car runs well, I don't think 2 lakhs on odometer should be a downside. I agree that a buyer will look for the least odometer clicks but somewhere there should be a comprise and IMO compromising on such issues for a Toyota is OK!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 22:32   #419
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Need your help and valuable inputs on buying a second had Maruti Suzuki Swift. A friend of mine is planning to buy a used Maruti Swift with a budget of 3.5lakhs.

Tomorrow i will be joining him to have a look at a 2008 Swift VXI with ABS at Pratham Motors, ORR, Bangalore.

The car has clocked 55000 kms and is quoting 3.9Lakhs.

1. What should I look out for, apart from the points mentioned on team-bhp?

2. Is the car worth for that amount?

Also would appreciate if anybody can help with a nice swift used car in bangalore, either through direct owners or some trustworthy dealers.

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 2nd May 2014, 00:36   #420
BHPian

Need some information about transferring Ownership from the from the old owner to the new owner:

In Bombay I talked to a used car dealer and he said that address proof is needed for the new owner in the form of a Police verified and registered rent agreement or a Bill from a Government Service (Electricity or Water etc.)

I have none of these since I am recently switched homes and am living with someone else in whose name the rent agreement has been registered.

Is there any way out ? How can I give a permissible address proof?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks