Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 15:13   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1
HI,

I am considering buying a used Safari EX 3.0 LTR DICOR (2007) as my second vehicle for long drives with the family. THe SUV seem to be in good condition and will be taking a TD in the next 2 days. Any specific things to look out for in this 3 Ltr model? I am unable to find a EX 3 Ltr review on TBHP. ANy pointers to check and watchout for will be appreciated.

Cheers
Vasu
id say look harder for a 2.2.
3l was the problem, and was fixed.
Old 29th August 2012, 00:06   #257
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi all,

Just a couple of days back while deciding to buy a new car I stumbled upon this single owner Red Sept 2010 ANHC SMT that has been driven for less than 12K kms in Faridabad. The vehicle has just a few scratches all around the body but no major dents. As checked under the hood, boot doors, door wells and under the rubber cladding and pillars, there is no sign of any repair work, structural damage or paint over spray. Underbody is also clean. All electricals are in working condition. The vehicle drives like a gem and there are no rattles even on rough roads. It comes with full service record and the same records have been verified with the HASS to be True. The windscreen has been changed for a crack at 6000 kms. The Price agreed upon is 5.6 Lacs and that includes the insurance for a year, full servicing & removal of scratches from HASS before delivery. Honestly I found the price to be a kill and I have paid the advance of 30k upfront and cancelled my booking for a new swift dzire VXi.

I would like to know if there could be any kind of a hitch. Anything in particular that I should look into in detail before making the full payment?

As far as the seller is concerned, he is a commercial pilot and this is his 3rd car. He sighted parking issues as the reason for the sale.
Old 29th August 2012, 06:58   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat
Hi all,

Just a couple of days back while deciding to buy a new car I stumbled upon this single owner Red Sept 2010 ANHC SMT that has ----------------------------------SNIP-----------------------------------------is concerned, he is a commercial pilot and this is his 3rd car. He sighted parking issues as the reason for the sale.
youre dealing with the pilot directly,yeah?
if so,then i think you have struck it lucky.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:41   #259
BHPian

I am unable to sell my 82000 km run 4th Owner 1999 Zen for a decent sum (in my dictionary around 75,000- 80,000rs). I am the 4th Owner from 72500 km onwards. I am thinking of selling this and buying a used nano for 80,000 rs. Is my proposal Ok? This is to be only for city roundabouts. For longer trips I have Ritz VDI. But really not able to sell Zen is really galling.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:59   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns
I am unable to sell my 82000 km run 4th Owner 1999 Zen for a decent sum (in my dictionary around 75,000- 80,000rs). I am the 4th Owner from 72500 km onwards. I am thinking of selling this and buying a used nano for 80,000 rs. Is my proposal Ok? This is to be only for city roundabouts. For longer trips I have Ritz VDI. But really not able to sell Zen is really galling.
I feel the price you are expecting is on the higher side. The right value of your car should be around 40 to 50k. We sold our single owner 1998 zen in 2010 for 65k. It had a blown ac compressor and had done more than 1.5lakh kms rest was pretty much okay.
Also your car being 4th owner might have few takers. I suggest sell it for a price little lower than your expected price and get the nano.
Old 2nd September 2012, 00:37   #261
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

It is the same with almost every motor company in our country

My story:

I was in the market for a city runabout for my wife. budget 1.5 lacs, preferred a second hand car cause it would run not more than 500 kms a month. Anyways, convinced her to have a look at the Nano, which we could have bought new. On a visit to Sterling Motors Noida for a test drive, we spotted two cars which were test drive cars and were for sale cause the dealership was shutting shop to make way for a Audi dealership. We loved a 2009 model Lx, and bought it home for 105,000 and paide the dealer another Rs 4000 as transfer charges to tranfer it on my wife's name. this was in March 2012. till date I have not got hold of the car registration certificate. I have had to make do with a photocopy of the registration, which is on the dealer's name. It has been months of followups and false promises. In the meantime the car's insurance has also lapsed and with the monsoon it needs a service, for which we were given an AMC till september 2015 which was included in the cost. We bought the car at 4502 on the odo and it has done 5172 as of date because the insurance lies lapsed. I had even lodged a complaint with Tata motors consumer care about a month back and they have been of no help. What are my options. I am thinking of approaching the consumer court and ask for a full refund of my money.

We really love the car, it is perfect for my wife and her needs. I drive a Tata Safari and am absolutely in love with it. God knows when these automakers will rise from their slumber to the sensitivities of us auto lovers. We love our cars. period. but the experience with these guys makes a beautiful thing look ugly

Hey Mods: if there is a relevant thread about tata cars, please move this there

Last edited by damanshaheed : 2nd September 2012 at 00:40.
damanshaheed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:38   #262
Senior - BHPian

One more important point to be added to this thread. I have learnt this the hard way:

Check that the tyre pressures are in the recommended range for the car, before you test drive the used car.

The butter smooth ride quality of my newly acquired Esteem 2004 Vxi turned pretty rough after a week when I checked and filled air in the tyres. I was shocked to discover that all the 4 tyres had less than 20 psi pressure before filling up ! (26 psi is the recommended value). This had gone unnoticed by me during my test drive. So I had to do a suspension repair job shortly thereafter.

Used car dealers can reduce the tyre pressures to reduce the NVH, mask the bad condition of the suspensions and steering rattles. A person evaluating a particular car model for the first time, in particular, can never be able to visually tell the lower tyre pressures just by looking at the sidewall bulge (which does not change much over a 5 to 6 psi range), nor judge the steering feedback correctly.

Just thought of sharing this to alert fellow BHPians
mooza is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 11:53   #263
BHPian

Dear BHPIANS I want a Car for my school which will be used ferry kids & I'm getting a Maruti Suzuki EECO (from Maruti True Value) which has done 140,000 KMS on odo, 2010 model. Car is badly kept in terms of exteriors but since I'm getting it cheap (Rs. 110,000), I find it to be a good buy. I had a short test drive of about 500mtrs & pickup was good. Please suggest whether a car which has done 140000 kms on odo has still got something in it or shall I stay away?? And regarding engine compression/deviation, what minimum pressure should be acceptable?? I need your advice urgently
Old 26th September 2012, 12:14   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat View Post
Hi all,

Just a couple of days back while deciding to buy a new car I stumbled upon this single owner Red Sept 2010 ANHC SMT that has been driven for less than 12K kms in Faridabad. The Price agreed upon is 5.6 Lacs and that includes the insurance for a year, full servicing & removal of scratches from HASS before delivery. Honestly I found the price to be a kill and I have paid the advance of 30k upfront

I would like to know if there could be any kind of a hitch. Anything in particular that I should look into in detail before making the full payment?

As far as the seller is concerned, he is a commercial pilot and this is his 3rd car. He sighted parking issues as the reason for the sale.
You seem to have covered most of the bases here, and have checked for most of the aspects of the car. The only other thing possible for you to do is take a TD of a new City & then take a test drive for the vehicle in question and probably concentrate over any major difference in the response of the car.

Of-course one can not expect an year or 2 old car to behave in the same manner as the new car, but then there should not be a very major difference in the response & accelerator response of the car.

And yes, a price of 5.5-5.7 lacs, with only 12K on the ODO seems to be a very good deal IMO !!

Good Luck !!

Last edited by Prodigyy : 26th September 2012 at 12:15.
Prodigyy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 07:59   #265
BHPian

Guys at admin board, please allow me to revive this thread as it is related to an used 2003Wagon R.

About 10 days back my bro.in.law wanted to purchase an used Wagon R and wanted my expert advise :P . As I was the lone soul in the family who had sound knowledge about autos, I was the chosen one. They on fact had zeroed in on a 09' top end white one. When I was taken for the final inspection, my devil eyes went in for those any thud / bang stuff ( accidental damages ) and found that it did had a major front end crash with the A-pillar crumpled so straight away nodded a No', for safety reasons.

After inspecting a couple more cars for sale, I zeroed in on this 03' VXi in ash gray mettallic silver which had an almost intact shell and an ok engine which had clocked over just 70k's, which felt great to drive. It was picked with a bargain for 1.71 lacs who was quoting 1.85. The car looked and felt mechanically perfect, although I could feel like the engine had clocked more than 70k, like approx 100k's. It had some boggles with electricals as the car had been at the used car dealers for a while. We also did a trial run for about 100kms to our native from Shimoga. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the car was a KA04 registered and picked up by us at Shimoga. After that short trip I came back to Blr.

Just before the dussera they wanted me to get behind the wheel for a trip to Horanadu, a piligrimage as they were yet to learn driving. But my friends had booked me in advance for a trip to Goa. So they hired a known driver for their voyage which was approx 100kms in the first leg and had a trouble free drive. But just after they started from that place after worship something went wrong with the cooling system and the coolant started to leak and they could smell the oil frying in the engine. They were a bit terrified as it was getting dark in the midst of the naxal affected forest roads of the western ghats. So I got a call by evening about the issue and wanted advice. Luckily the driver was experienced one and with the help of passing cars topped up water regularly and managed to reach a village and with the help of local mech they made it to a relative place before late night. But due to dussera fest the shops and mechs were unable to fix the problem completely and the next day they managed to reach Shimoga. Me after our outing from Goal, reached Shimoga and inspected and found the engine still in healthy condition and thanked the driver for a great job in such conditions.

I later opened the bumper and found that the radiator's top plastic housing had cracked near the front edge for about 4 inches. As the shops were still not opened on Sunday I thought a dose of super glue ans araldite epoxy should hold for an 100kms trip for another ritual at our native and did a diy. I also found that a clamp holding the radiator was missing for some reason and a thin metal wire was all that did little or no job there. But after a couple of hours job, found that it was not enough and returned after a 10kms drive.

So the next day we took the car to a local garage in the evening after returning from the native by a friends car. We got hold of lower hose, clamp with rubber grommet as MGP, but couldn't find MGP for the Radiator. But luckily the shop had Delhpi radiator and picked up with no hesitation as it was once the OE supplier to MGP.

Sorry for the lengthy story but thought it would be better to share all tiny details as it matters. Actually now with these details I hope to get expert and experienced inputs which will be immensely appreciated. Also when all these happened the temperature guage never crossed the mid way to the hot zone despite water gushing out in the leak. Also I dont have much onhands experience in the mpfi engine as my drive is a carb'd zen. Please help me to help out these guys from unwanted troubles. The mech wanted to open up the cylinder head for facing up, but I thought it was not necessary as there was no stains of oil in the water body or at the top of the radiator opening. Nor did the engine had a spoilt oil. The power delivery was pretty smooth, although I could hear the tappet were a tiny bit more noisier, but that could not be more. Any other pointers to look out for signs of any damage now or later soon that I have failed to guess? Please respond at the earliest guys, as I will be leaving to the garage soon now.. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th October 2012 at 13:37. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 31st October 2012, 18:12   #266
BHPian

I was looking for a used car for my father in law, he is willing to spend close to 4 lakhs. I saw a couple of Skoda Octavias, Hyundai Elantra/Accent all Diesel for sale on TBHP classified and elsewhere, but these cars have generally clocked more than 1,00,000 KMS on the odo. Firstly, is it worth buying cars which have crossed the l lakh KM mark? Also, how many more KMS would the engine run before wanting a major overhaul? I want to get some advice on what should i look for specifically in terms of engine while buying a car which is driven so much. Since i would also get a smaller car which is driven less for the same price. Also what would be the maintenance costs since these cars are not being manufactured now and are close to 8 yrs old. Will there be any difficulty in sourcing spare parts? Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:46   #267
BHPian

^^^^^ IN 4 lakhs budget you should go for petrol cars if you want a large sedan.if you're looking at cars with about a lakh kms done.,look at a Toyota corolla or a Honda city.if you're up for buying a fiat you'll get a low mileage done fiat lines petrol 2010 model in your budget.
Old 1st November 2012, 20:11   #268
BHPian

@ tantragna.

Did you change the all the fluids (Coolant, Brake, Power steering, engine oil, gear box oil, AC Gas and AC compressor oil) when you purchased the car? If not get them changed this service along with a complete engine tune up, not just the regular tune up. In addition, get the brake pads and the works cleaned.

Try noticing the mileage for a few weeks. If there are any serious drops. Then we can take it up from there. But for now please change the coolant and check for radiator leaks. You can get the radiator cleaned with pressured water, and not an radiator flush for now. If you are confident with the radiator flush then please go for it before changing the coolant. But you need to be warned that sometimes the flush cleans out some of the areas that probably would have developed a leak but were clogged off by the reaction between the fluid and the metal (though theoretically it should not occur). Hence on using the the flush you might develop a leak. It is rare though.

In addition to the fluids and special attention to the radiator get the entire engine cooling system checked. It might be better to change the hoses too. Then spare a thought for the AC system.

This should do for now and then you can take a second look later on.

Good luck with the latest addition to your family!
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:33   #269
BHPian

Hello all,

I have just spotted this beauty right here in Kolkata.
Very Curious to know the opinion of the Alumnii on
should or should not go ahead with the purchase of this car.
Guru's please guide me!!
Pls visit this link :

<< http://kolkata.olx.in/jaguar-s-type-...-iid-450630741 >>
Old 4th November 2012, 17:28   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Maanava
@ tantragna.

Did you change the all the fluids (Coolant, Brake, Power steering, engine oil, gear box oil, AC Gas and AC compressor oil) when you purchased the car? If not get them changed this service along with a complete engine tune up, not just the regular tune up.

In addition, get the brake pads and the works cleaned.

Try noticing the mileage for a few weeks.

It might be better to change the hoses too. Then spare a thought for the AC system.

Good luck with the latest addition to your family!
Thanks for the tips Doc!

I did open up the bumper and found a leak due at the top of the radiator's plastic housing. It had cracked due to a missing clamp all worth rs.20/-. But the radiator was beyond repair, so got it replaced along with one hose as I was not confident with older ones. But the replacements were (MGP) had much thinner wall, so got the older ones on and the newer as spares in the car just in case..

The compression was leaking into the water-body and the mech suggested for getting the head faced at the lathe and so it was done. I also got the valve stem seals replaced as I found excessive carbon deposit inside the head and in the oil chamber. While we got the car initially we were advised about the engine oil been renewed so we just decided to top it up with additive so as to get rid of the carbon deposit in the subsequent oil change after a couple of hundred kms.

I wanted to get the brakes checked and fluids replaced but the workshop where we were getting the works done didn't seem quite equipped so called it off to a later date some other place, maybe at a MASS. Power steering is electric type so no issue with fluids and seems perfect at the moment. While we got the radiator and head Works done, our mech managed to break the belt pulley so got it next day after we took the car home. Will be getting replaced with the oil and filter soon.

Just landed back to Bangalore after a week long outing in the workshop at Shimoga. Have advised my co-brother about what to get done and also gave him the first lessons on driving for a couple of hours.

Edit: The kmpl seems ok till date, and AC will not be used till they learn how to drive fearlessly.

Thanks again.

Last edited by tantragna : 4th November 2012 at 17:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks