Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 14:52   #181
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Thanks for an insighful article Adya. I never thought buying a used car would involve so much. I feel well armed for the battle now after reading through this thread.

I'm planning to buy a used car under 2.5 lakhs in Hyderabad.

I would like some advice from BHPians on what car would suit me, based on the following pointers.

This would be my 1st car.
My usage would not exceed 800Km a month including highway driving.
I would want to keep the car for at least 4 years from now.
I'm looking for some good FE and no nonsense maintenance to start with.
Would want to spend no more than 4.5k each month on fuel + service and spares.
I'm 5'9'' and not so comfortable in an Alto. :-(

I thought a WagonR Duo would be it. I really like WagorR's spacious interiors and the ease with which one could enter and exit. Pre-owned dealerships like FirstChoice and Hyundai Advantage quote a 3.2 lakh for 2007/2008 Waggie that did around 40000km. Is it worth that price?
Old 19th May 2011, 16:01   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathreddyt View Post
Thanks for an insighful article Adya. I never thought buying a used car would involve so much. I feel well armed for the battle now after reading through this thread.

I would like some advice from BHPians on what car would suit me, based on the following pointers.

I thought a WagonR Duo would be it. I really like WagorR's spacious interiors and the ease with which one could enter and exit. Pre-owned dealerships like FirstChoice and Hyundai Advantage quote a 3.2 lakh for 2007/2008 Waggie that did around 40000km. Is it worth that price?
I know how ridiculous the price can get for a 4 year old WagonR. I'm in the same boat as you buddy. But you know what? You can also look at Zen Estillo. Tall boy. More stylish. Almost similar engine. There's one for 2.55L on Maruti True Value website. 38k+ kms run.

And there's one WagonR too on the same website for 2.75L. Run some 40K+ kms. And it's a decent deal as it's a true value vehicle.

BTW next time post your query on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ck-thread.html All the experts are sitting there.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 11:45   #183

need advice ,, buying Baleno 2006 - registered 2007 VXI BS III.. done 29000 kms.. seen the pics of the car .. no cosmetic damages .. looks all original ... asking price 2.6 lacs ..suggestions if a good buy ... this will be first time I will be buying a second hand
Old 13th June 2011, 10:14   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Check bottom edge of front bumper

A point to check, when searching for a used car - to see if it has been handled badly. Like going recklessly over speed bumps, etc.

The trigger was when I happened to see a VW Golf go over a normal-sized speed breaker. May be he didnt realise it was there, but it still did some damage. The car went over the s/b and landed. I didnt expect much to happen, but was surpised to see the lower edge of the fornt bumper scrape the road. Would have definitely left scratches there.

The clip shows a Xenon go over the rough, and at one point goes over a seemingly inncuous bump/raised section of the ground. What happens next illustrates (see pics below) what I am trying to convey in this post.

1. Truck approaches the raised area/ridge. Notice the level of wheels & height of this section.

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-jump1.jpg

2. Truck crosses the ridge, both wheels in air. I had expected it to land on all fours, and continue.

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-jump2.jpg

3. But the rear is still going up, while the front is dropping. Result ? This:

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-jump3.jpg

It's not just the damage to the front bumper, but when a vehicle goes over a bump and has a harsh landing, the shock will get transmitted to every part of the car.

Was not sure how to explain this, but thanks to fellow TBHP-ian @ambujlal who had posted (an un-related) video clip on the Xenon thread.

The link to the original video clip is here. Check from 2:35 to 2:45.
Old 13th June 2011, 23:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised to see how come the vehicle was engineered to so much perfection.
Then the answer was in from 2.40 to 2.45.
Now all I can say is I feel so sorry for the driver who drove this.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:54   #186
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,
I am looking at buying a used civic which belongs a fello bhpian.I am just considering it and nothing is finalised.I wanted some help/advice as
how to go about cetrian things.I am totaly a newbie as far as buying a used car is concerned.

1- The car is not registered in the bhpians name but in the name of the 1st owner.The bhpian is the second owner.Can i approach the bhpian requesting him to do theformalities of transfering the car in my name in case of sale.

2-What exactly would i have to do in the above scenario in case the bhpian says that i would have to approach the 1st owner to get the car
transferred in my name(though i would prefer to walk out of the deal in this case)

3-The car has done around 39k on the odometer is a 2007 model and i plan to request the owner to drive it to my trusted mehcanic who is located not very far from the owners residence.Only on his recommendation would i proceed with the deal.Do you think the 2007 with 39k a bad idea.

4-Suppose if i decide to go ahead with the purchase how shall i proceed ? Shall i pay a token amount to the owner and ask him to initiate the process of transferring the registraton in my name or do i have to pay the full amount and then only can the seller proceed to get the car transferred in my name

5-Also do i have to transfer the insurance in my name.Do i have to notify the insurance co that the car is now my name ? What is the process to do so?

6-How can i verify the smart card details ie owner name etc.

Please let me know.
thank you all of you.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 14th June 2011 at 10:06. Reason: added 6th point
Old 14th June 2011, 10:26   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Dear all,
I am looking at buying a used civic which belongs a fello bhpian.I am just considering it and nothing is finalised.I wanted some help/advice as
how to go about cetrian things.I am totaly a newbie as far as buying a used car is concerned..
1- The car is not registered in the bhpians name but in the name of the 1st owner.The bhpian is the second owner.Can i approach the bhpian requesting him to do theformalities of transfering the car in my name in case of sale.
First ask about why it was done in such a manner.was it to keep the resale price up?You, sir, should treat it as a 2 owner car in deciding the price.
You can request the bhpian to initiate, but its entirely his wish whether he agrees to it.
Basically, it would be yours, and his, understanding.

2-What exactly would i have to do in the above scenario in case the bhpian says that i would have to approach the 1st owner to get the car
transferred in my name(though i would prefer to walk out of the deal in this case)
Like i said, if you go to the first owner, you'll be paying as a second owner.
The option spelled out by you is the best one.

3-The car has done around 39k on the odometer is a 2007 model and i plan to request the owner to drive it to my trusted mehcanic who is located not very far from the owners residence.Only on his recommendation would i proceed with the deal.Do you think the 2007 with 39k a bad idea.
not at all.
And dont go for a cursory check.
Have every cranny checked, go for a longish drive over all kinds of road you may expect to drive over.
Pay your mechanic some money before and after to dedicate him for the test.
4-Suppose if i decide to go ahead with the purchase how shall i proceed ? Shall i pay a token amount to the owner and ask him to initiate the process of transferring the registraton in my name or do i have to pay the full amount and then only can the seller proceed to get the car transferred in my name
As far as i know, its done post-payment.Not entirely clear about how the buyer is kept safe here.By way of some auth letter(?)
5-Also do i have to transfer the insurance in my name.Do i have to notify the insurance co that the car is now my name ? What is the process to do so?
a->yes,b->yes,c->speak to the CC for the insurance provider

6-How can i verify the smart card details ie owner name etc.
RTO(?).I know AP has online facility to check that.maybe something is there for mumbai too
Please let me know.
thank you all of you
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 18:38   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
First ask about why it was done in such a manner.was it to keep the resale price up?You, sir, should treat it as a 2 owner car in deciding the price.
You can request the bhpian to initiate, but its entirely his wish whether he agrees to it.
Basically, it would be yours, and his, understanding.
Will using a RTO agent for the transfer be advisable.What should be his fees be around if i were to appoint one? I am not sure if the person who is not the registered owner has the right to sell the car ?

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th June 2011 at 19:02.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:24   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Will using a RTO agent for the transfer be advisable.What should be his fees be around if i were to appoint one? I am not sure if the person who is not the registered owner has the right to sell the car ?

thanks
use an rto agent.
i paid one around 2k in delhi.
as for the 3rd statement, read that joke about the tourists who bought the taj mahal from a tout?

just kidding.
you know he doesnt have the right to sell the car...
unless there's some POA type thing applicable.(i dont know about this)
Old 21st June 2011, 20:26   #190

Guys,
I need some help in deciding a buying decision. After going through all the forums, resales, reliabilties of different vehicles.
I ve decided on the chevrolet optra. These are the parameters i have fixed for myself while buying.
1)shud be 2006 and above
2)mileage not more than 50K
3)1.6 only 3.5ish for a petrol or 4.5L for a diesel 2.0
4)single owner
5)am buying frm this Dr.Car only who checks all vehicles throughly and has a detailed history & report for each car, so dont mind the 1.5% he charges fr the assurance

Pls suggest me any changes in the choice of car and the criteria. Its will be of great help.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:14   #191
BHPian

Guys
My boss wants to buy a second hand car. He personally prefers a Merc over an Audi or a BMW. He did a few checks around a found a sparingly used Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 200 KOMPRESSOR automatic 2008 with 13000 odd kms on the odo in Bangalore for 21L. We got in touch with Mercedes Bangalore to see if they had a used C class but they didn’t.

I showed him this post on how to buy a used car in India but unfortunately, there weren't many check we could execute on the car.

This car has done only two service of which there wasn’t anything peculiar. (I worry that the second service only cost Rs 800 something. Shouldn't it have been much more??)
  • Is there some way we could get more information on this car?
  • Is there anything in particular that we should be looking out for?
  • Mercedes says that until the ownership has been transferred to my bosses name they wouldn’t disclose its history to us. Even if we took it for a service, they would bill it under the previous owners name.
  • Would the insurance company provide information or the history of the car if we get in touch with them?
  • How do I check the age of the tyre? I tried a search in this forum but didn’t get any valid posts on that?

Here is a link to the pictures of the car.

Appreciate any suggestions

Last edited by jack7 : 5th July 2011 at 10:17. Reason: Added pictures
Old 19th July 2011, 20:06   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I was surprised to see how come the vehicle was engineered to so much perfection.
Then the answer was in from 2.40 to 2.45.
Now all I can say is I feel so sorry for the driver who drove this.
Ashley
I didn't quiet get the point you were trying to make. Can you explain the reason behind each of the three sentences? I may have missed the point completely.

Thanks
--Ragul
Old 26th July 2011, 12:43   #193
BHPian

Hi i had a budget of 4L and came across this deal. Please give your genuine advice...

SX4 Zxi without Leather seats.
2007 model
38.5K kms run
Am dealing directly with the owner
Clean papers and noclaim bonus on insurance also
Has all the service receipts and all.
The car is in good condition from outside. Will be taking a mechanic today.
He is asking for 4.3 and we will settle for 4L mostly.

Is it a good deal?
Old 24th August 2011, 16:53   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathreddyt View Post

@Bharat: I can help you with a pristine condition santro with a VIP no which has been looked after like a baby. (sms me on +91-98223-16790)
Old 24th August 2011, 22:17   #195
BHPian

BHPians,

I have a query - I am interested in buying a pre-owned car and getting one which is less driven and price is in my range. I drove the car and it was ok. However issue is

1) the car is owned by a dealer now
2) Car is registered in company's name - SAP labs
3) a lady employee who purchased in the company's name left the company and as per company policy bought the car when she was leaving
4) Dealer says she didnt register the car and they also havent
5) Dealer says that the lady owner sold to them & left the city
6) Dealer says that he will get all paperwork done - NOC, form 29, registration & insurance also

Help i needed is that are there any possible loopholes I need to check with RTO etc.?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks