Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 16:16   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
clogged fuel systems, corroded rubber parts, messed up electronics (specially with European cars) and more.
Wow, I didn't know about corroded rubber parts and messed up electronics.

And yes, 1-3 kms per trip is simply too low. There's no point even buying a car (even if it's used) for that kind of usage. It just doesn't make economic sense. I had more like 10 kms (per trip, on average) in mind.

Thanks, GTO!

Regards,
Spadix
Old 13th May 2010, 17:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Add deformed tires, oil which has lost its quality, dying battery, damage due rodents and like, weather damage. all these take a toll on unused vehicles
Old 19th May 2010, 11:18   #123
BHPian

Guys..need advice.

Looking to finally upgrade and right now open to both new & used.
Have a few questions on used car buying.
(went through this thread, did not find answers my queries)

Once I have finalized a used car:

Step 1:
I pay a blocking amount, say Rs. 20K.
Q1 - Should I get a receipt for this ? Anyone provide a format ?

Step 2:
After a couple of days of Step 1, I pay the rest, say 8.8 lacs. By cheque.
The cheque may take upto 2-3 days to clear, until which the seller will not sign the transfer papers.

Q2 - What document/receipt do I get on handover of cheque? Anyone with format ?
Q3 - Any other method to get the transfer papers signed as soon as I make the payment (my guess, pay by DD) ?
Q4 - Do I need Form 28 (Application for N.O.C. and grant of certificate) if I am buying a Bangalore register car. Though registered with a different RTO from the one my home address falls in ?

Other questions:
Q5 - Does a print-out of the formats of various RTO forms attached with this thread work; or I need to get them from a RTO office only ?
Q6 - I don’t know much about evaluating a car technically, so I will take it to a service center. Now, I am thinking between used Altis & Civic, and so I will end up going to a dealer's showroom only.
And it may happen to be the one where it’s always been serviced there by the seller. In such a case, will they do a fair job? (since they know it isn’t mine yet).
Any other ideas ?

Too many questions, I know. But please advice.

cheers
lazy
Old 9th June 2010, 22:34   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Guys..need advice.

Once I have finalized a used car:

Step 1:

Step 2:
After a couple of days of Step 1, I pay the rest, say 8.8 lacs. By cheque.
The cheque may take upto 2-3 days to clear, until which the seller will not sign the transfer papers.

Q3 - Any other method to get the transfer papers signed as soon as I make the payment (my guess, pay by DD) ?

Q4 - Do I need Form 28 (Application for N.O.C. and grant of certificate) if I am buying a Bangalore register car. Though registered with a different RTO from the one my home address falls in ?

Other questions:
Q5 - Does a print-out of the formats of various RTO forms attached with this thread work; or I need to get them from a RTO office only ?

Q6 - I don’t know much about evaluating a car technically, so I will take it to a service center. Now, I am thinking between used Altis & Civic, and so I will end up going to a dealer's showroom only.
And it may happen to be the one where it’s always been serviced there by the seller. In such a case, will they do a fair job? (since they know it isn’t mine yet).
Any other ideas ?

Too many questions, I know. But please advice.

cheers
lazy

This post needs to be answered. One can scan the papers and analyse decently what the value for a used car is. But these formalities and legalities are intimidating. How do I know if the seller I contacted through a classified ad is not a class act? Esp if they say they're "moving to a different city/Abroad"?
How can I ensure that I'm buying what the papers say I'm buying?

Used buys are great bargains, but tricky as videogame-hell. Any tips to fortify against suspicious behaviour/shady antics by sellers?
Old 10th June 2010, 18:15   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Best to pay this token via cheque. A simple signed letter that states "I have received Rs. 20,000 payment from Mr. ABC vide cheque number xxxxxxxx as advance toward purchase of car no MH0123456" will suffice. Be sure to add "This deposit is full refundable" (to protect your interests, should the deal not go through).

20K though is a high amount. Usually people pay 5K - 10K, the balance just before delivery.

Quote:
Again, pay via cheque. Any cash payment at the time of delivery.

Quote:
Please search through this thread.

Quote:
Attached forms should work in most Indian RTOs. If you have the time though, better to source them from your local RTO.

Quote:
I don’t know much about evaluating a car technically, so I will take it to a service center. Now, I am thinking between used Altis & Civic, and so I will end up going to a dealer's showroom only.
Best to get it evaluated from some showroom other than the one you are buying from. Be sure to check the service history + verify claims with the insurance company too.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2010, 13:48   #126
BHPian

Couldn't find anything similar..

My friend having a Chennai DL and permanent address there, is about to purchase a KA registered car (he lives in bangalore now, no local ID/address proof). How should he proceed with transfer of ownership? Can he transfer with his Chennai Address proof?
Old 18th July 2010, 23:57   #127
JLN
BHPian

I have tried to capture below the summary of my learnings over the last 4 months with trying to buy a great used car (2/3 year old, low milage, mint condition car) specifically in Bangalore. I have also attached an excel sheet of the best cars I found - almost none of these will qualify as a really great deal, so this is more of a "Best of What is out there" kind of list. For context, I did find an OK car at the end of the 4 months -details in the other thread "Finally got my pre-owned hardly used Verna Diesel Rocket".

These learnings are all from first hand experience and I have no links with any of the vendors mentioned. I have tried not to repeat the stuff mentioned in other threads, except for this first one:

1) Look for the top end variants in whichever car model you are interested in. The price difference in the used car market between the low end and the top end variants is small. Also look for cars where the owner has added expensive and useful accessories - e.g. leather seats, premium music system, VKool sunfilm etc.

2) Getting a great deal on a great used car will be very frustrating - exactly like searching for a needle in a haystack. If you find a great car, be willing to give in on the price and be ready to pay about 25-50K more than what everyone advises you to pay for the car. As a guideline, if you get a car at the Carwale recommended individual pricing for a good condition car, you can consider the deal to be great.

3) If you find a great deal, be prepared to move quickly, but don't compromise on any of the steps in the TBHP thread "How to buy a used car".

4) Unless you are looking for a D segment car or above - Civic, Corolla etc., you may be better off buying a new car. The discounting in the price you get is not worth the risk, effort and time you will spend. A few cars you may find great deals in the used car market: SX4, Optra Petrol, Verna Petrol, GETZ petrol.

5) carwale.com and sulekha.com are your best bets for searching online. Owners who list cars directly here generally expect ridiculous prices for their cars and seem very unwilling to negotiate significantly. So do a lot of pre-negotiation on the phone and take the effort to visit only if the chances of a deal happening are high.

6) Dealers are not worth the effort except for the following:
a) Mahindra First Choice Koramangala - Limited selection of cars, but the guys seem very professional, customer focused, non pushy and give an all-inclusive price.
b) Nandi Toyota UTrust Hosur Road & Popular Automatch in Yeswantpur - Good cars, but prices seemed high for every car I saw there.
c) Classic Jayanagar/BTM - If you are looking for a good deal, you probably will not be able to buy a car here because of the atrocious prices they quote, but this is a good place to browse for cars non intrusively - i.e. they have a large selection of cars with a sticker on each of them with all the info on the car including pricing. So you can get a good idea of the used car market here.
d) Trident Hyundai Used Cars, Indiranagar - They seem to have good Hyundai cars at good prices. In contrast Advaith Hyundai used cars are more like Classic's - highly priced.
e) Any of the Maruti True Values - If you are looking for a Maruti, don't waste your time going anywhere else. These guys are professional, have a large car selection at reasonable all inclusive prices and give a 1 year warranty on almost all Maruti cars they sell. I epecially like the unit on the Outer Ring Road (between Martahalli and KR Puram).

5) About the dealer I bought my car from: The Car House Koramangala.
These guys have some great cars - they seem to have a network of rich & famous guys who have multiple cars and change them frequently. But the guys are a bit too pushy and arrogant for my liking. If you are dealing with them, tread with caution, cover every small angle and do not do the deal unless you feel really good about the car and the price. Push them to let you deal with the owner directly and be prepared to walk out if you are uncomfortable (even slightly) at any time
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Best of what is out there car list.xlsx (10.9 KB, 1264 views)
JLN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 10:09   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Amit : Send your friend a link to this thread.
Old 19th July 2010, 23:26   #129
BHPian

I guess the same applies for transferring ownership too.

Thanks!
Old 5th August 2010, 23:59   #130
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2010 at 16:23.
CR-V is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th August 2010, 23:42   #131
RDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Best to get it evaluated from some showroom other than the one you are buying from. Be sure to check the service history + verify claims with the insurance company too.
Do the showroom people allow their cars to be evaluated at the other showrooms, especially when one is buying from the used car division of dealerships like honda or Toyota? Also how much are the evaluation charges usually?
Old 16th August 2010, 00:34   #132
BHPian

luxury used car

Hi,
Our family is planning to buy a used car between 10 lac to 15 lac range. we would be considering merc c class, skoda, vw jetta, honda civic or accord etc.
Mostly we will be finalizing jetta or merc class. now my doubt is what to look for before buying a used merc or jetta? I have read almost all advices regarding used cars in team bhp. but i didt find any specific info for merc anywhere.
Is there any particular thing we need to check? Some thing specific? Any features that might show some problem? Or any electronic thing to check? I have not driven a jetta or merc class till now. my first time wll be the test drive of the used car. so please advice me.
And one more doubt, a merc of around 1 lac km on oddo or a jetta lightly used of arond 20k km on oddo.
How much will be the maintenance expense of 20-30k jetta or 1lak merc?
thanks a lot for all your advices
Old 16th August 2010, 20:10   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

althaaf, it would be great if you spend some time searching through the forum. All your questions have been answered.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:39   #134
BHPian

Buying an out of state car

Hi,
Please excuse me if this has already been asked. I've gone through most of the posts in this thread but couldn't find this.

Are there any additional costs/headaches involved in buying an used car from different state? I see some attractive deals in Mumbai and Delhi.

Also if anyone has the contact numbers of trusty brokers/dealers from Delhi or Mubai please post them here.

Thanks in advance
Old 20th August 2010, 10:14   #135
BHPian

Adding an observation I've made in the four years of scouting used car markets, please continue where live360 left.

In buying a used car, the service record, or to put it in perspective- the 'chain' of service records is the one crucial thing. In the absence of papers, you can rest assured that the ODO has been tampered with. With service history available, you MUST cross-question. Any delays in servicing, fluctuations in odo-reading with time, irregular pattern of usage, and of course expensive repairs should throw up red flags immediately.

Back to Outstation Cars and Del/Bom Car Brokers...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks