Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 18:53   #391
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi Everyone,

need some advice with buying a used car. I have been driving a 2.6 LX Scorpio 2008 model for the last 5+ years now, having covered 90,000 kms in it; I am now looking to change.

Unfortunately my budget isn't much (maximum 9-10.5 lakhs) and I cant drive sedans, after 12 years of driving jeeps/SUV's.

Hence I have been forced into the Used car market in Delhi. here are some of the options that I am looking at -

Pajero SFX, 2009 model, driven for 62,000 kms. asking price 11,85,000

Captiva, 2009 model, driven 65,000, asking price 8,50,000

Captiva, 2009 model, driven 76,000, asking price 9,25,000 .... this one is certified by Mahindra First.

The other option which I thought of was a new Mahindra Bolereo, ZLX which is working out to 8,40,000 on road in Delhi.

Would love to hear back your views & suggestions, just wanted to mention that the duster, terrano, ecosport are not options for me as they are the driving position is too sedan like.

thanks

Kundan
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:45   #392
BHPian

Well, since I cannot start a separate thread, I'm posting my query here. Hope this gets approved and someone points me in the right direction.

I have a 7-year old Hyundai Accent, and I'm looking at selling it off and buying a used car. Now, that used car I'm looking at is a Honda Jazz. At this point of time, would it make sense to buy a Jazz (btw, it's about 4-5 lacs for a 2009 model)? I really love the Jazz for it's space and engine refinement. But I'm worried about Honda ditching Jazz spare parts and service support - is my concern justified? Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

I'm a petrol head - no diesel cars suggestions please
Old 25th February 2014, 12:43   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Well, since I cannot start a separate thread, I'm posting my query here. Hope this gets approved and someone points me in the right direction.

I have a 7-year old Hyundai Accent, and I'm looking at selling it off and buying a used car. Now, that used car I'm looking at is a Honda Jazz. At this point of time, would it make sense to buy a Jazz (btw, it's about 4-5 lacs for a 2009 model)? I really love the Jazz for it's space and engine refinement. But I'm worried about Honda ditching Jazz spare parts and service support - is my concern justified? Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

Though Honda stopped the production of the Jazz model, buzz is it that there's an updated version of this getting introduced in India this year.
So I suppose the spare parts & support should continue as normal. And if ever this happens, then the used car prices should pick up as well.
BTW, I guess the quoted price should be on the higher side considering your city. For Bangalore, I would agree with the above price. However if the Car is "As in showroom" condition I suggest you negotiate further.
Also at the same budget, why not the Ford Figo? Though the refinement would not be that good as Honda, the space should definitely satisfy your needs.
Old 6th March 2014, 11:43   #394
BHPian

How good is dra First CHoice with its certified cars. I am considering one from them and wanted to make sure that they honor all the warranties as it is for my sister.

Do they have any services included if it is certified by them

The one issue i have with the car is, it is May 2012 registered but the owner is not willing to transfer the insurance. First Choice people are referring this as normal case in Kolkata. But I am apprehensive.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:05   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
How good is dra First CHoice with its certified cars. I am considering one from them and wanted to make sure that they honor all the warranties as it is for my sister.

The one issue i have with the car is, it is May 2012 registered but the owner is not willing to transfer the insurance. First Choice people are referring this as normal case in Kolkata. But I am apprehensive.
I would suggest you to skip this and look for individual sellers, rather than Dealers.
Though First Choice have their cars all Pre-certified, I believe the Quote should be higher as well and they might offer free service for another year or so. Also since the Owner is a bit reluctant to have the transfer done, prefer you look elsewhere for better deals.

I have heard True Value much better than First Choice, as they have lesser negative reviews. However as I suggested earlier - better to stay away from Dealers!
Old 11th March 2014, 15:47   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Everyone,

need some advice with buying a used car. I have been driving a 2.6 LX Scorpio 2008 model for the last 5+ years now, having covered 90,000 kms in it; I am now looking to change.
thanks

Kundan
In case you are still looking, I would say a Scorpio base model would suit you more than anything else.
The peace of mind of a new car is way higher than any used SUV. Pajero would be expensive to maintain and Captiva might not be suitable for long term reliability with not many of them around in the market. Spares and service could be a concern.

The Bolero is a step down from Scorpio and you would not like to compromise your driving choice. Would you?

I believe, with some budgetary adjustments, you should be able to get a base Scorpio - a reliable and comfortable steed offering the same level of driving experience you are used to.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:09   #397
BHPian

Quote:
I have had first hand experience with both the FirstChoice and TrueValue. I have found the firstchoice to be the ' should be the last choice' option. All the outlets I have experienced in Delhi had not-so-strict evaluation criteria, inspite of their so called more than 100 points checks. Invariably, they are dealer managed and a common policy or standard is difficult to be seen. If you try to find out, most of them would have a tie up with a local workshop for repairs outside. That further erodes the standardization. But I must say that in case somebody does not have the idea as to how to pick a used car (TEAM-BHP members should not worry though!), thats a safer bet then as compared to unscrupulous dealers outside. For me, First Choice is a strict no.

True value has been a better experience with their in-house workshops and standards. The cars are relatively better managed. The best things I liked about them was their candid admission about certified and non-certified cars on display. The non-certified are not honored for any warranties. In fact, I would like to bring out that when I sold my Alto, it had a front fender damaged and they chose to put it up under non-certified cars. I got a lesser price too.

Another option I would like to bring out to you from True Value is their refurbished new Maruti cars. It happens in Gurgaon for sure and you may check at your dealer. We got a cool 70k off a new Wagon R because the car had crashed during the offloading at dealer showroom. Its hood had been replaced and was available as a used car, the first owner being MARUTI in this case. We have used that car for almost 30k KMS now and it looks and runs just like new.

My take is True Value if you have to go to a dealer. Else, nothing beats the satisfaction of checking the user cars directly, knowing well the nicks and dents you see yourself and evaluate the condition.
Old 11th March 2014, 17:30   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Don't.
Instead, go through classifieds for individuals, shortlist at least 3 final, seen candidates, and pick the best. Do not rush into settling. There's always one that suits what you need.
That's the Zen for today.
Old 13th March 2014, 07:01   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post

Hi Gigatech. Jazz is an awesome package. Dont worry about the spares and service support as the same engine is doing duty in the brio and amaze albeit with some minor tweaks. Additionally every car manufacturer have to ensure spare parts availability for 10 yrs from retiring the car.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:29   #400

I have a query regarding the sale of my old car.I had sold my car in August 2013 with all the necessary documentation.

The new ownwer contacted me yesterday and he said he has yet to change registration in his name,but he is selling the car to another party.Hence he wanted me to again sign the delivery note and other documentation(form 28,29,30 etc) so that the new buyer can register himself as 3rd owner.

What precautions should i take ?
Old 14th March 2014, 14:21   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjeetnair View Post
I have a query regarding the sale of my old car.I had sold my car in August 2013 with all the necessary documentation.

The new ownwer contacted me yesterday and he said he has yet to change registration in his name,but he is selling the car to another party.Hence he wanted me to again sign the delivery note and other documentation(form 28,29,30 etc) so that the new buyer can register himself as 3rd owner.

It is best you steer away from such shady transactions! You signing the delivery note indicates that you carry the responsibility of the said vehicle till the time and date you sign it over to the next owner. You are liable for prosecution for any offence/accident or other misuses the vehicle may have been involved in.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 15:40   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
In case you are still looking, I would say a Scorpio base model would suit you more than anything else.
The peace of mind of a new car is way higher than any used SUV. Pajero would be expensive to maintain and Captiva might not be suitable for long term reliability with not many of them around in the market. Spares and service could be a concern.

The Bolero is a step down from Scorpio and you would not like to compromise your driving choice. Would you?

I believe, with some budgetary adjustments, you should be able to get a base Scorpio - a reliable and comfortable steed offering the same level of driving experience you are used to.
Hi

thanks for your response. having tested used Pajeros, Captivas, new bolero and the Thar very extensively i've decided to hold onto my Scorpio for another year and then decide. Hopefully by then the all new Scorpio should be out and would be the perfect upgrade.

Cheers

Kundan
Old 14th March 2014, 17:15   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjeetnair View Post

Better not agree to sign again. This is a dirty trick played by brokers who act as if they are buying the car and later sell it to someone else. In order to avoid the addition of an owner in the RC they dont change the name in the middle of the deal. Hence, now he is asking you to sign again. That will mean any actions committed in your car all this while from august will hold you responsible. Refuse to sign the papers and tell him that you sold the car to that person and not the new chap who has turned up. Also intimate the RTO of selling your car by producing your copy of the form 28,29 and 30.

When I sold our Omni the buyer wanted us to sign a blank set of forms with no name of the owner. However we didnt agree to sign until he wrote the name and details of the buyer along with the date of transaction.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:54   #404
BANNED

Just describing a bizarre situation that my colleague has come across in a pre-worshipped car purchase and this guy has no experience in buying a car and in driving the same. He wanted a cheap car to learn driving and then buy a new one.

The car in question is a 2003 model Tata Indica V2 DLS.

--> The car was registered in 24.04.2003 and it is valid upto 2018.

--> The owner of the car has submitted an NOC to the AP RTO in November saying the car is not owned by him any more and it being sold. The NOC was approved on 06.11.2013.

However my colleague buys this car blindly on 11.12.2013 with insurance valid upto 23.01.2014.

Now this guy being from a village area and not known to traffic rules and regulations didn't get the car registered on his name and also forgot to renew the insurance of the car. I tried to renew the insurance online but the websites say, cars above 10 years need inspection and hence insurance can't be renewed.

Now what is to be done to get things back on track and all documents legally on his name?

PS: I am still scratching my head as to why did the owner of the Indica submit an NOC to the RTO even before selling the car or even finding a buyer for it? Isn't it illegal?

Can someone clear my doubts?

Thanks,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th March 2014 at 08:57.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:17   #405
BHPian

Finally, I have shortlisted 3 cars in my mind - Honda Civic, Jetta TSI or Laura TSI. I have heard scary stories about Skoda's service centers. Not too sure of the VW's service experience. Honda's service is the better of the lot. However, I like the ride quality of Jetta/Laura, when compared to the Civic. Is it just me? Or is it the civic that I tested wasn't on par with Jetta/Laura?

At this point, I'm in real confusion on which car to select. All of them are in the 5.5-6.5 lacs ballpark. Please can someone guide me here? My brother owns a Honda, so I know the ownership experience. However, what I want is a good reliable used car, that doesn't breakdown too often, and doesn't cost a bomb with expensive spares. Hope to get some closure on this mind-bending thing :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks