Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 16:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Simplistic? We are talking of two different things here. You are talking of wire from harness connector socket to the door. I said the points are available at the harness *adapter* connector (from HU to the connector that connects to the harness connector socket). One can always connect speaker wires from that connector to wherever you place speaker. All you need are 2 socket pins, which installer should have. No need to splice anywhere.
Old 12th May 2014, 18:31   #32
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
We are talking of two different things here. You are talking of wire from harness connector socket to the door. I said the points are available at the harness *adapter* connector (from HU to the connector that connects to the harness connector socket). One can always connect speaker wires from that connector to wherever you place speaker. All you need are 2 socket pins, which installer should have. No need to splice anywhere.
Just to clear my confusion I'm giving pictures to illustrate, they are not pictures of my HU but nonetheless they will help to illustrate my situation. Correct me if my terminology goes wrong.

The harness connector sockets at the back of the HU. One such socket that is meant for rear speaker output is empty.

ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios-2005toyotacorollaradiobackantennawiresocket.jpg

The harness adapter connector that is missing. This piece needed to be supplied by Toyota.

ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios-wireharness_1.jpg

From what I understand and saw, the white end of the connector fits into the socket shown in the first picture.

The wire from the speaker that runs down the length of the car needs to be connected to the proper pin in the black end of the connector (shown in the second picture) via socket pins.

Now DerAlte, please help me out here, what needs to be done in a normal rear speaker installation in this situation?
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 17:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
... what needs to be done in a normal rear speaker installation in this situation?
* A quick look at the connection diagram on top of the OE HU would have solved the problem - there is always a sticker on top of the HU. Even Toyota guys are not supermen to remember everything. I may be completely wrong in my expectation, but the authorative information is proved in the sticker

* The Front and Rear Speaker Outs are *ALWAYS* in the same connector, and always kept nearby. It just doesn't make sense in electronic design to lead them to different output connectors, since the same HU will be deployed in cars, which have speakers at the back. One doesn't design equipment specific to car models, especially low-cost variants

* The second connector usually contains connections for extension functionality, such as remote control of devices such as external CD changer etc., IF supported. The connection diagram mentions which. If nothing is supported, it is left blank. Why have the second connector in the HU if there is not connection to it? Well, that is standardization of a frame, into which the electronics are placed. If the designer doesn't use facilities of the frame, like some screw holes or extra connector, it will be COSTLIER trying to take them out with a redesign

* The people working in the assembly section in cars just know that some harness connector has to go into some connector on the HU. To take the guesswork out of models v/s OE equipment, the connector complement is kept the same. It doesn't matter if the actual harness doesn't have the wires put in

* If the car owner wants to use the functionality which was provided in the HU but not led out by the manufacturer, they are allowed to connect to the harness adapter connector (the black one in your pic), or get a new adapter that has 2 white connectors - there are aftermarket ones available costing 100-200. The installers should know this - no point in cribbing about Toyota

Again, I am not the authority on the connection pin-out - check the sticker on the HU. Or ask Toyota - no point in avoiding them for whatever nuisance you perceive!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 20:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Again, I am not the authority on the connection pin-out - check the sticker on the HU. Or ask Toyota - no point in avoiding them
Asked my neighbour who works at Toyota for a favour regarding the speaker issue. Got an appointment today at the ASS and talked to a technician regarding the matter. When asked about the safety issue of the connection that Deco World (Rajarhat) did, he warned about a possible incident of burnout of IC as correctly pointed out by DerAlte. So, I asked them to open the connection to the rear speakers to avoid any such mishap.

He also confirmed that I guessed it correctly, there is indeed an empty socket for rear speakers. (Details in Post #32 of this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post3432485). Toyota doesn't provide the harness adapter connector for this socket in Etios unlike Innova which has connectors for both the sockets. He then showed me the back of the HU of an Innova which had both the adapters. He said that they do not have the adapter connector or neither can they procure it. My only option is if I can make an adapter specifically designed to fit my HU's rear output port socket. Inquired whether he knew of any such engineer who did this sort of thing. After some initial hesitation and a little persuation from my neighbour he gave me the name. As it turned out the person who can design this sort of adapter is the chief engineer of Audio Systems of some company (name withheld).

So I need to take my car to them and they will make that adapter and then make the suitable connection. If every thing goes well I will have it done by next week. Will update once everything is up and running

Last edited by Apple Master : 17th May 2014 at 20:50.
Old 19th May 2014, 14:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
... As it turned out the person who can design this sort of adapter is the chief engineer of Audio Systems of some company (name withheld). ...
OMG! Strange - in other parts of India, the ICE dealers are able to figure that out. Doesn't need any 'design'. That is why I said look for an "aftermarket harness adapter" - they usually have that, or make that in a jiffy. Maybe not where you are.

Anyhow, all the best - hope your world is (properly) filled with music shortly!
Old 12th June 2014, 10:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
OMG! Strange - in other parts of India, the ICE dealers are able to figure that out. Doesn't need any 'design'. That is why I said look for an "aftermarket harness adapter" - they usually have that, or make that in a jiffy. Maybe not where you are.

Anyhow, all the best - hope your world is (properly) filled with music shortly!
Got the harness adapter fitted. It was available ready-made and the fitting was done in no time.

Gave a complete update on the whole setup process at my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3453636

ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios-rear-view.jpg
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 20:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1) We use the infinity Oval speakers on my mother's Liva. Do not remember the exact model number. But, I can vouch for their performance. Crisp quality.

PS: On my Etios, I have Alpine ovals. But, Polk Audio is still my all time favorite speakers in that price bracket ( 5k - 10k ).
Amalji, I plan to finally upgrade speakers. Now, here's the twist. This new years, I was in Goa. An old pal pushed his TS-W305F free air subwoofer on me. Details available here.

Today, I upgraded my headlights to 90/100, and while I was at the service station, I spoke to the Accessories guy. He was frank in saying that Ovals are more than sufficient for the car, and they can try, but the inclusion of the sub might not be great, if I keep the stock HU.

Can you or anyone else confirm that? or has anyone put in a Sub (12 in, 800 W) in an etios with the stock HU? I understand that an amplifier will be needed, but has anyone used the stock HU with upgrades?
Old 11th January 2015, 12:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Can you or anyone else confirm that? or has anyone put in a Sub (12 in, 800 W) in an etios with the stock HU? I understand that an amplifier will be needed, but has anyone used the stock HU with upgrades?

It is possible and would sound better than just oval speakers.
Id suggest you get a line out put converter and a 4 channel amp.
Amplify the front 2 channels and bridge the other 2 channels to drive the sub.
Get a good quality line level converter and not a cheap one.
Cut the font speakers off at around a HPF of80Hz and the sub at a LPF of 70Hz.4
Your car should sound better
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 20:06   #39
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Toyota Etios

I wish to upgrade the sound quality in my 2013 liva. Currently its all stock - HU, 4 speakers - 2 on the front doors and 2 on the dashboard.

- Should I replace the HU
- can i change front door speakers to components.
- adding rear speakers is last option since I don't want to remove the parcel tray. If there is an option to install rear speakers on the parcel tray I would go for it.
- Any suggestion on brands

Kindly suggest
Old 29th May 2018, 18:43   #40
BHPian

Waking up an old thread.

I have all the speakers and amp ready to be installed, which I sourced outside the dealer. Dealer says, warranty will void since i bought the speakers and amp outside and I am fine with it. I wanted the installation to happen from the dealer and they say the HU in Etios doesn't support amp which is strange.

Does any one have a 2018 Etios and have installed amp? Please shed some light.

I am thinking to get the installation done outside the dealer.
Old 30th May 2018, 12:15   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd8732 View Post
I wanted the installation to happen from the dealer and they say the HU in Etios doesn't support amp which is strange.
What do they mean by that? Most OEM HUs do not have RCA out so sometimes all you need is a speaker level to line level adapter.
Old 30th May 2018, 12:33   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd8732 View Post
I am thinking to get the installation done outside the dealer.
Buy an amp with speaker level AKA high level inputs. There are several and they don't need line adaptors. The exact installation procedure depends from amp to amp so I'd suggest getting a professional installer's help.
Old 30th May 2018, 17:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What do they mean by that? Most OEM HUs do not have RCA out so sometimes all you need is a speaker level to line level adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Buy an amp with speaker level AKA high level inputs. There are several and they don't need line adaptors. The exact installation procedure depends from amp to amp so I'd suggest getting a professional installer's help.

I have consulted an external installer and I will get it installed from him. As usual, showroom accessories department lacks knowledge. I will update the post once the installation is done.
rvd8732 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:37   #44

Hi,
I'm a late entrant to this thread but solicit your advice.
I have a Toyota 2014 Etios GD diesel variant. I am keen on knowing if the Polk DB692 DB+ 6x9 450W (150RMS - I'm guessing it's 75RMS per speaker) fit into the rear doors of the car. These speakers are 3 way with 30-22k Hz.

Salient points:
1. I don't want to infringe on any of the boot space as I carry a lot of golf clubs and sets in the boot on an everyday basis.
2. I don't want to compromise on the sound quality. I absolutely love music and have it on a reasonably high volume.
3. Don't want a lot of thump to be heard outside, but substantial improvement in the acoustic content while driving.
4. I plan on adding a Bass tube and an amp in the future (again - both these parts will be either in the centre console of the car , below the seats, or embedded into the side wall of the boot, but certainly not eating into the boot space).
5. I would like to retain the original HU and connect these Polk speakers in the rear doors directly to the HU without any shared connection with the front door speakers.
6. Once the amp and bass tube is installed, will power up the front speakers and the rear speakers with the amp and connect the bass tube to the same as well. Will a good 4 way amp suffice for the above set up?

As you can see, it's a work in progress and will be done in instalments as and when I save for it.

I thank you all for your help in advance. Please bear with me if I ask certain novice questions in the future, as I'm not really technically oriented.

Happy listening !
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:49   #45

What amps would you suggest to boost the output of the front dashboard and door speakers of the Toyota Etios GD sedan?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks