Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:17   #1

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"

Dear Friends,
I am a proud owner of wonder machine called “Cruze”. Ever since I bought it, I wanted to get an in dash-navigation system with reverse camera support with touchscreen but of course without compromising on my warranty.
I tried several brands like Caska, Motevo etc. who claimed to provide OE Replacement. But upon in-depth inquiry, I came to know that the DVD player will come on the top of dash board i.e. within the place provided for nick-knacks just under the front windshield. Hence, it could not be called OE Replacement system.
Few days back, while driving back home, I saw a black Cruze-AT going ahead of me and when I overtook it the large display of vivid colours greeted me from inside the car. It was so lively & big that I immediately fell in love. (Love at first sight you know).
On the next Red light I waived towards the gentleman driving the car and went upto him and asked for his phone number disclosing my intentions to bother him about the screen. He very obligingly gave me his card.
Lateron in the night, I called the Gentleman (Mr. Tyagi) who came out to be very nice and learned man and he told me that he got removed the earlier installation (Caska) after three days of dissatisfied use and then got this one from ‘Mega Audio’ installed from the Chevvy dealership in Faridabad (Regent Automobiles).
I contacted the dealership and the company guy Mr. Prabhat and fixed the time of installation. Mr. Alam of Regent told me that it will take about two hours to install eh system and assured that my warranty etc. shall remain intact and that there will be no wire cutting etc.
Being an avide reader of Team Bhp Forum especially threads relating to ‘Cruze ownership reviews’ of ‘Mobike008’ and ‘a.sundaram’ I tried to search the brand name of ‘Mega Audio’ but found it to be virtually unheard/non-existent (In fact this is the reason why I am writing this post in so much of detail). This made me jittery but I decided to go for it mainly because I had seen it working in Mr. Tyagi’s car, who himself was quite knowledgeable about cars.
On the appointed day I went to the dealership and got installed the system in my presence and only then I got to know that (as other vendors were not able to satisfy me as to exactly what portion of the music system is going to be replaced) only the CD Player portion of the Double DIN music system was to be replaced with a DVD player (with pre-amp) and rest of the system remained there including the power amplifier. The screen fitted by them appeared as if it always there. Mr. Alam told me that it was the first time that he was installing the system in an LT model. I came back home enjoying the navigation system but was not sure of most of the features.
After two days, I had to go back with a long list of queries and found Mr. Prabhat waiting for me who in the most efficient manner explained all my questions.
Now after a little bit of fiddling, I am quite comfortable with the system and found it to be a must for my Cruze. It has not enhanced but has taken the cockpit appearance of the car to very high levels. The comfort provided by the reverse camera, Bluetooth system (which has rendered my earlier Nokia Bluetooth earplug useless), Automatic day/night appearance of the navigation system, USB connectivity with choice of backgrounds, inbuilt memory, ultra-sensitive touch screen and the best part is the Chevvy logo in standby mode.
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Can you post some pics as well ? Also how much did it cost you ? And how easy it is to put a normal 2din music system in place of the stock one in Cruze?
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:45   #3
BHPian

Re: OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"

Excellent. A friend of mine is facing a similar dilemma as you were in and was planning to go in for the Caska unit. Please post some pics if possible.
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can you post some pictures of it mate ??!!
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:59   #5
BHPian

Really good to know that there is another option other than CASKA for the cruze. As you said, many people have issues with the DVD player placed on top of the dash. As others have mentioned, it would be great if you could post some detailed pics of the HU installed in your cruze with some working pics as well.

I tried to find out more details about this HU, and this is what I got :

Old 23rd August 2011, 10:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

although not the best in SQ, but you seriously cant beat megaudio for VFM, at least.
I used a simple 1din, and it lasted without any maintenence for 4+ years!!
didnt give up even then, just became outdated.

Enjoy it!
I'm assuming its from their new lineup of units specific for each car, with fascia plates etc(?)
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:50   #7

Well, it will be pleasure my dear friends, I will definitely post some pictures of the system in working mode but kindly excuse me for few days as I will be doing the job over the weekend (you know; lawyers have to slog hard).
So far as the cost is concerned, I paid 37,000/- including the reverse camera (which supports night vision). Considering the price quoted by other vendors for Caska etc. which was hovering around 38-45k (without camera), (depending upon the market i.e. price variations between Khan Market & defence Colony market) I think this is a fantastic deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Nice. Can you post some pics as well ? Also how much did it cost you ? And how easy it is to put a normal 2din music system in place of the stock one in Cruze?
The normal 2DIN system replacement should not take more than 45 minutes because the entire dash board is having lock system an expert will put the screw driver at the right place and push it to eject the piece and then few screws to take out the music system with a cooling fan attached to a heat sink.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:28   #8

Dear Friends,
Here are the photographs of my in-dash navigation system.
Attached Thumbnails
OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0079.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0084.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0086.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0088.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0093.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0095.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0098.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0100.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0133.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0101.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0105.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0107.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0110.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0112.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0115.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0116.jpg  

OE Replacement - Navigation System for Cruze "Mega Audio"-dsc_0117.jpg  

lawyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 21:25   #9
BHPian

Hi can you tell me the cost of the wood finish fascia for the dash and the make. also is it possible to listen to music while the navigation screen is on
Old 28th August 2011, 15:09   #10

Cost of the wood finish was Rs. 4,000/-.
The music gets interrupted only when you use the phone (if you are using bluetooth) or when you engage the reverse gear, in all other modes you continue to enjoy music, be it radio, CD player or Aux device like USB or iPhone.
Old 29th August 2011, 08:44   #11
BHPian

Great system,lawyer. I had suggested Mega audio to some BhPians who but appeared to be a bit skeptical-basic reason-no review on T-BHP. Thanks for probably the first Mega Audio review on TBHP.

Apart from the looks and price(which is really less in comparison with Caska),how is the performance? Is the OE navigation program MapmyIndia?

The reverse camera image looks unclear-hope it is a quality problem with the snap.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:10   #12
BHPian

Good review Lawyer . A couple of questions:

1) What maps does your system use? Caska has the option of mapmyindia which are the best in biz as far as india is concerned. Can we use mapmyindia with megaaudio?

2)Does the vehicle setting option work? Also, can you add rear monitors with a dual zone function? That is nav in front and video in rear

3) the wood finish that you have came as a readymade kit or you got it cubic printed?

If cubic printed, then if you could share the contact that'll be awesome!
Old 29th August 2011, 20:15   #13

The navigation system uses a licensed Map My India’s maps. The box contained an SD Card with one year warranty and instruction manual.
The setting option continues to work as before.
So far as the rear monitors with front navigation is concerned, you need to check up with some technical person or from Mega audio itself.
The wood finish was done by Regent Auto, Mr. Alam actually got it painted as per my choice of colour and pattern. In fact, the colour you see in the photo is not the true shade it more towards chocolate wood but it appears to be reddish in the photo.
And Charthom it was very bright in the rear because of direct sunlight as also the settings in the DVD player needed some adjustment as the display was too bright. But in any case do not expect the image as if you are watching a movie.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:46   #14
BHPian

Thanks lawyer!

Can you share the contact details of Mr. Alam ?
Old 11th September 2011, 19:13   #15

Yes of course, Suneet.
Alam's mobile number is 9871665525.

He is with Regent Chevrolet, Faridabad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks