Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICEing my VW Polo 1.6

Hello guys,

Now I have had a thread before for my Swift where I wanted to upgrade my ICE to something high end and more towards SQ. Eventhough I had started with a full JBL setup, I am currently running the following in my Swift.

Headunit : Pioneer P80RSII
Front Stage : 6.5" Morel Tempo 6 Components
Rear Stage : 6.5" Morel Maximo Coaxials
4-ch Amp : JBL GTO 75.4
Monoblock : JBL GTO 301.1
Sub : Infinity Ref1200T in a sealed box
Damping : Noise Kill in all 04 doors and boot

Now the plan was to upgrade this further, but we have decided to sell the car.

We have decided to upgrade to a VW Polo 1.6 and so I have decided to have the upgraded system in this car instead. I have also been told that the Polo is ideal for good audio setups specifically since the metal is nice and strong and doesn't resonate much as compared to other cars, especially Marutis.

Now I am looking for a more SQ oriented setup but in no mood to go crazy in spending on the equipment. I need something which is easy on the pocket but will give me good clean sound. I listen to alot of Hip-Hop, House and the likes with good tight bass. The P80 will be retained.

I have been recommended alot of brands for the amps like Audison, Genesis, DLS, Focal, etc and for the speakers and sub Hertz Mille, Focal, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, etc Now these guys are really really expensive and go into lakhs of rupees which I do not intent to spend at all. I have been advised the following:

Front Stage : Hertz Mille TW
Rear Stage : Hertz Hi-Energy HCX 165
4-ch Amp : Audison Lrx 4.1k
Monoblock : Audison 1.1k
Sub : Hertz Mille ML3000 in a sealed box
Damping : Dynamat Exteme in all 04 doors and boot

The equipment will be bought from Dubai so will not be as expensive as it retails out here in Mumbai but the entire package would still be around a good INR 1.35 lakhs excluding wiring and damping.

I have heard of the Focal Solid 4 amp and the Alpine PDX which have good reviews on the SQ side and I am sure they cannot be compared to the amps mentioned above but I would like something which would still be reasonably good in the SQ department. I know you guys would probably be in a better position to help if I gave you my budget but I am willing to spend if its worth it. This means, is there a possibility to spend probably around 60k-70k on the equipment excluding wiring and damping and get something sounding close to what the equipment mentioned above will produce?
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:12   #2
BHPian

Re: ICEing my VW Polo 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
...I have also been told that the Polo is ideal for good audio setups specifically since the metal is nice and strong and doesn't resonate much as compared to other cars, especially Marutis.
Hi Epic, so you have taken the words. Polo is really a solidly built car and it can take any kind of bass/sound. Even it doesn't need the damping for a certain level of bass.

Quote:
Now I am looking for a more SQ oriented setup but in no mood to go crazy in spending on the equipment. I need something which is easy on the pocket but will give me good clean sound. I listen to alot of Hip-Hop, House and the likes with good tight bass. The P80 will be retained.
Gurus here will guide you about equipments but I only want to say one thing based on my own experience is that setting the sound image at desired location is bit critical in the Polo so first of all just concentrate on front speakers and tweeters placement. If adding components at the rear than again the tweeter placement will demand some thoughtful placement. Rest of things like bass, rear supporting surround etc are not such concerning points, add anything of decent level it will sound great in Polo.

I am repeating loudly - just concentrate on front sound stage first of all.

Best regards
PP,
Jaipur.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 23rd January 2012 at 19:30. Reason: Removing image
Old 24th January 2012, 17:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2012 at 17:42.
Epic is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th January 2012, 17:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Heard Kappa? It goes low; kicks!
And also check out Dotech.

And most important, hope you know a good installer.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am currently running the following in my Swift.
Front Stage : 6.5" Morel Tempo 6 Components
Rear Stage : 6.5" Morel Maximo Coaxials
4-ch Amp : JBL GTO 75.4
Monoblock : JBL GTO 301.1
Sub : Infinity Ref1200T in a sealed box
Damping : Noise Kill in all 04 doors and boot

We have decided to upgrade to a VW Polo 1.6
I listen to alot of Hip-Hop, House and the likes with good tight bass. The P80 will be retained.

I have been recommended alot of brands for the amps like Audison, Genesis, DLS, Focal, etc and for the speakers and sub Hertz Mille, Focal, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, etc Now these guys are really really expensive and go into lakhs of rupees which I do not intent to spend at all. I have been advised the following:

Front Stage : Hertz Mille TW
Rear Stage : Hertz Hi-Energy HCX 165
4-ch Amp : Audison Lrx 4.1k
Monoblock : Audison 1.1k
Sub : Hertz Mille ML3000 in a sealed box
Damping : Dynamat Exteme in all 04 doors and boot

This means, is there a possibility to spend probably around 60k-70k on the equipment
Actually the equipment you have been sugested above is quite good. I have not heard the Mille speakers but the Audison amps are decent. The only other options would be Genesis amps and Rainbow speakers.
Old 25th January 2012, 18:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Heard Kappa? It goes low; kicks!
And also check out Dotech.

And most important, hope you know a good installer.
Now are you talking about the Kappa Amps or speakers?

How are the Infinity Kappa 4 and Kappa 1 amps? Are they SQ oriented?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Actually the equipment you have been sugested above is quite good. I have not heard the Mille speakers but the Audison amps are decent. The only other options would be Genesis amps and Rainbow speakers.
Yes they are good but mighty expensive and hence I am thinking of spending not more than 70k on the equipment (components, coaxials, 4-ch amp and mono) excluding wiring and damping.

Can you suggest a good 4-ch and mono amp that are SQ oriented but also not expensive? How are the Focal Solid 4 or Alpine PDX?
Old 26th January 2012, 11:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Back after doing some research and I am looking at getting the Audison Lrx 6.9 amplifier. Reasons are that its a 01 amp solution and I am hoping to save some space (yes I know it is pretty big) if the place to install this amp is planned properly. Now, taking into consideration that the amp would be the Lrx 6.9, which speakers would you guys recommend? Here is what I have been recommended:

Option 1

Components - Illusion Carbons
Coaxials - Illusion Electras
Sub - IDQ12V3.D4

Also been recommended to go for components at the rear which I know would be awesome but skeptical about cutting door panels for tweeter placement.

Option 2

Components - Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165
Coaxials - Hertz Hi-Energy HCX 165
Sub - Hertz Mille ML 3000

Please feel free to suggest anything else.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How are the Infinity Kappa 4 and Kappa 1 amps? Are they SQ oriented?
Can you suggest a good 4-ch and mono amp that are SQ oriented but also not expensive? How are the Focal Solid 4 or Alpine PDX?
Quote:
Hi guys,

Back after doing some research and I am looking at getting the Audison Lrx 6.9 amplifier.

Option 1
Components - Illusion Carbons
Coaxials - Illusion Electras
Sub - IDQ12V3.D4

Option 2
Components - Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165
Coaxials - Hertz Hi-Energy HCX 165
Sub - Hertz Mille ML 3000.
Are the Carbons still available? THey have a very different tonal presentation when compared to the Hertz. The Hertz may feel more efficient as they are brighter.

Given the 6.9 is a 5 channel amp you will need speakers that are efficient. Remember in the 6.9 the subwoofer amp and 4 ch. amp share the same power supply so when the subwoofer demands power the other speakers might be robbed a bit. Stil for 95% of the applications amps like the 6.9 are great as they greatly simplify the install. My mom has a 6 channel JBL powering her subwoofer+speakers.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 10:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Are the Carbons still available? THey have a very different tonal presentation when compared to the Hertz. The Hertz may feel more efficient as they are brighter.

Given the 6.9 is a 5 channel amp you will need speakers that are efficient. Remember in the 6.9 the subwoofer amp and 4 ch. amp share the same power supply so when the subwoofer demands power the other speakers might be robbed a bit. Stil for 95% of the applications amps like the 6.9 are great as they greatly simplify the install. My mom has a 6 channel JBL powering her subwoofer+speakers.
No I do not believe the Carbons are still available but there are 02 brand new sets available with a friend who I am buying from. The Carbons are rated at 100W RMS and the Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165 are rated at 125W RMS while the Audison 6.9 will give out 75W RMS to each speaker.

I have taken your point on the power sharing between the sub & speakers in the Lrx 6.9 and this sounds like a concern. Please let me know if it is. Also why would the sub rob power? Is it because it will get less power than it can actually handle? Please let me know if this is the case. Also, by your post, do you suggest I go with the Hertz over the Illusions?

Last edited by Epic : 28th January 2012 at 10:37.
Old 28th January 2012, 11:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have taken your point on the power sharing between the sub & speakers in the Lrx 6.9 and this sounds like a concern. Please let me know if it is. Also why would the sub rob power? Is it because it will get less power than it can actually handle? Please let me know if this is the case. Also, by your post, do you suggest I go with the Hertz over the Illusions?
Since all 5 channels share a common power supply if one channel (usually the subwoofer channel becuase bass demands a lot of power) demandsw more power the power supply is unable to supply enough power too all channels.

For example say the amp is 50x4+100x 1 channel amp. This means the transistors in the amplifier can deliver 50W x 4 channels + 100W x 1 channel a total of 300W.

Typically Class AB amps are 50% efficient so the amps would need to draw 600W from the power supply to deliver 300W to the speakers.

Also typically power supplies have a power factor of 0.8 or so. Hence the power supply will have to generate 600/0.8 = 750VA so it can deliver 600W to the transistors. If the power supply is less than 750VA it wont be able o serve all channels fully.

This does not matter n most situations as music is not a continous waveform and all 5 channels will not all draw full power at the same time but if for example the amp's power supply was only capable of 300VA you would notice a drop in power in the main channels everytime a bass note hits (when you are playing the system loudly).

Oh BTW all that power between 300W and 750W is converted in heat.

In my experience, Hertz Hi-Energy speakers are brighter than Illusion Carbons. Hence they might tend to sound louder. However, I would go with the speaker whose sound I liked more.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

After alot of research and reviews I have finally decided on what my system configuration would be. I was surprised to not see any reviews on the Illusion Carbons on the forum or even on Google. The only detailed install of the Carbons on this forum is of Bhagwan. But I have heard rave reviews though about them from most experts.

Front Stage : Illusion Carbon Nd 6
Rear Stage : Illusion Carbon Nd 6
6-ch Amp : Audison Lrx 6.9
Sub : Image Dynamics IDQ12V3.D4 in a sealed box
Damping : Dynamat Extreme in all 04 doors and boot

I will be collecting the equipment in stages as I am expecting my car in end Feb or first week of Jan so I should be ready to install the equipment by first week of April. Will keep you guys posted on the developments.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the one thing that you should avoid is putting components in the rear. Illusion has good coaxes, if you can get them.
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IMHO the one thing that you should avoid is putting components in the rear. Illusion has good coaxes, if you can get them.
Hi DerAlte,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, actually I am not very keen on putting components at the rear. Eventhough I am leaning towards the Illusion Carbon Nd6 as components for the front, I am not sure if the Illusion Electras would be apt for the rears especially since they are 02 notches lower than the Carbon series and in such cases the components seem to drown the rear coaxials. I would like if thre were Luccent coaxials available. Now I am saying this because I am currently having a similar experience in my Swift which has Morel Tempo components in the front and Morel Maximo coaxials at the rear (not Tempo). This may not be a justifiable reason or may not make any sense and guess it is just psycological to feel that the components and coaxials should be of the same series.

I am now looking at the Focal Polyglass 165 V30 components in front and the Polyglass Coaxials at the rear. What do you think?
Old 4th February 2012, 19:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Electras cannot be called 2 notches lower really. Ask @bass&trouble - he just might be able to advise you on the availability of Luccent coaxes (and Carbon coaxes, if you are lucky).

Focal Polyglass components & coaxials will also be a good combination.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone!

I am back after a good couple of weeks which involved the purchase of my new Polo. The car will finally be delivered on 26th Feb 2012 so I am really looking forward to it. Now during this time, I also kept researching on the ICE and once again and like always the plans of changed but have now been finalized on the following as mentioned below. The only change basically are the speakers and everything else remains the same.

Front Stage : Focal 165 KRX2
Rear Stage : Focal PC165

6-ch Amp : Audison Lrx 6.9
Sub : Image Dynamics IDQ12V3.D4 in a sealed box
Damping : Dynamat Extreme in all 04 doors and boot

Installation

Since the equipment is finalized, I am a bit concerned about the installation of specifically the amplifier. The Polo 1.6 Highline having the 60:40 split rear seat; I was wondering whether the amp can be installed/fitted on the sides in the boot so that I can save space in a way and and make use of the 60:40 advantage whenever required. I have also been recommended to install the amp under the rear seat which is a good idea but would hide a beautiful amp like the Audison Lrx 6.9

Would require all possible suggestions. Please help!

Last edited by Epic : 19th February 2012 at 12:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks