Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2006, 03:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

maximum size of speaker in an indica....

Sorry folks, tried searching a lot on TBHP and net but cdnt get through! can u plz let me know what is the maximum size of component speaker I cd put up in the front side of Indica DLS (i mean on the doors and NOT on the dash board near windscreen)?
am out so dont have access to a physical tata indica.
Thanks
Old 29th April 2006, 03:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Panky Bhai!

The Indica takes a 5.25" in the door.

Get yo' self a good pair of 5.25" comps and you're all set.

It's damn stupid to use the 4" locations in the Indica dash near the windscreen when you have the doors.

Hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,

(Geez, this sounds like a fully formal corporate memo)
Old 29th April 2006, 04:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Panky

B&T is right... the Indica takes 5.25" in the stock door location. BUT... you can fit larger sizes too, with a bit of mods of course...

here are some pics

You would need to cut out a portion of the stock locations plastic.

Install the door panel back and install a MDF spacer ring of approprite depth. What you see here is a 6.5" midbass driver.

Connect your speaker...

Mount it

Attach the grill

And you're done!!!

Cheers
Old 29th April 2006, 05:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

this forum ROCKS! thanks for inputs B&T and my guru Gunbir (aka Gunman!)

thanks for eveything!! This is a REAL help!
Old 29th April 2006, 09:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
It's damn stupid to use the 4" locations in the Indica dash near the windscreen when you have the doors.
Nope this is what I wish every had. I would then use 6.5" 3 way using the dash to keep the mids and hf close together. as it is now we have to comporomise on the tweeter location.

Say one could shoe horn a 6.5" woofer into the door and a 3.5-4" mid and tweeter on the dash one could (a) be able to have a bit more bass upfront and (b) improve imaging by having the mids and hf close together.
Old 29th April 2006, 10:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since Panky started this;

ANy idea if I can shoe-horn the 6inch compo into the front door without using fibre thingy? Its for a SAntro.
Old 29th April 2006, 10:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
ANy idea if I can shoe-horn the 6inch compo into the front door without using fibre thingy? Its for a SAntro.
I was going to ask this sooner or later... hehe. I guess it can be done with the help of MDF but unsure whether the DEPTH of the speaker can be accomodated... anyway our doubts will be cleared soon

I have the older santro (zipdrive), so the only provision is the grill which is integrated into the dash. As far as I can remember even Xing has only this option, not sure if there is a provision on the door for speakers... Jk, your in a better position to comment on this. I would love to put in 6.25" comps in the front as later on I can reuse and accomodate them into a bigger vehicle.
Old 29th April 2006, 14:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Nope this is what I wish every had. I would then use 6.5" 3 way using the dash to keep the mids and hf close together. as it is now we have to comporomise on the tweeter location.

Say one could shoe horn a 6.5" woofer into the door and a 3.5-4" mid and tweeter on the dash one could (a) be able to have a bit more bass upfront and (b) improve imaging by having the mids and hf close together.
Sire... your wish is my command... 3way setup coming up...

Indica stock dash location, gonna get a 3" cone midrange.. the cable in the corner is for the tweeter...

Now this is plastic cup kinda thing. This was originally stuck to the rearside of the stock door location. Tata uses it to protect their OE speaker from rain etc. But we have a much better use for it... read on...

We fabricated this out of a metal sheet, and covered it with carpet.

Mount the midrange onto the adapter plate

Remember that plactic cup thingy, we are using it as a midrange enclosure. Seen here fitted in the dash location with polyfill for damping..

Mount the midrange into the enclosure... Done...

Put the cover back on...

I'm missing a couple of pics where the tweeter was installed. But you get the idea, the tweeter was angled surface mounted in the corner. Will post those pics later.

Cheers
Old 29th April 2006, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
I was going to ask this sooner or later... hehe. I guess it can be done with the help of MDF but unsure whether the DEPTH of the speaker can be accomodated... anyway our doubts will be cleared soon
Yup... Im pretty sure you can do a 6.5" midbass install in the Santro's door with just an mdf spacer ring... we'll be doing a 3way in a Santro soon... stay tuned...
Old 29th April 2006, 16:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Yup... Im pretty sure you can do a 6.5" midbass install in the Santro's door with just an mdf spacer ring... we'll be doing a 3way in a Santro soon... stay tuned...
Know what? I am tuned right in. Just worried taht you may show something and I will have my heart set to it and then U am gnna haev problems maintaining by SB account :(
Old 29th April 2006, 23:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

gunbir boss....in this mod (of a 3 way setup) i think the max midrange that can be used on dash board is 3 - 3 1/2" (obviosly using the "midrange enclosure"). also, where do u mount tweeter in this set up? BTW, does JBL has a 3 way comp set or its only hertz?

Last edited by panky12345 : 29th April 2006 at 23:18.
Old 29th April 2006, 23:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infinity has 3 way thingy
Old 30th April 2006, 03:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Infinity has 3 way thingy
yup JK, infinity has a 3 way but all for $ 250 - 300 and above (at least here in US)

so just sticking to JBL, economical, good sound....and above all sam wd be happy!
Old 30th April 2006, 03:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
gunbir boss....in this mod (of a 3 way setup) i think the max midrange that can be used on dash board is 3 - 3 1/2" (obviosly using the "midrange enclosure"). also, where do u mount tweeter in this set up? BTW, does JBL has a 3 way comp set or its only hertz?
Panky you can use a 4" midrange too. As mentioned the tweeter is wedge mounted in the extreme corners... see where that orange cable is...

There are a lot of 3way setups out there and a good 3way can work very well, bringing your midrange and high frequencies up at dash level, increasing your stage height immediately. A 3way setup also lets the bass driver concentrate on bass frequencies.

BTW, something that needs to be mentioned here... the Indica needs a LOT of damping in the doors. Anyine using a decent speaker in these doors needs to allocate a budget for damping material.
Old 30th April 2006, 04:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
BTW, something that needs to be mentioned here... the Indica needs a LOT of damping in the doors. Anyine using a decent speaker in these doors needs to allocate a budget for damping material.
i think one can achieve this with stuffing poly-fill to the fullest in the door panel or is there some other dumping material as well?. wotsay?

Last edited by panky12345 : 30th April 2006 at 04:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks