Old 26th November 2012, 15:39   #1

ICE-ing my Vento

The Story so far
July 14th 2011 : The day I booked the car.
The moment I booked, this thought have always been on top of my mind, "What kind of ICE would suit the vento?". My main criteria have been integration of Head unit with the car and SQ.
I did an extensive search here in the forum for possible solutions. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post2431479
Every one either had some chinese brands or JVC (seemed like a popular model then in t-bhp). Since I was more concerned about SQ, those HUs went out from my list.
End of Aug / Begining of Sept 2011: Refreshed Vento is introduced.
My search and my burden increased all the more. Reasons : Now I need to look for Steering control integration, USB integration, reverse camera integration.
Oct 4th 2011: My baby comes home.
Oct 5 2011 to Oct 2nd 2012: Life goes on. Every single time I get into the car, I feel something is really missing.
Even during this time, my search for HUs were still on. Some time towards the begining of this year, pioneer release AVH8490. My hopes are rekindled.
This has USB input, reverse camera integration (could take a reverse camera input), excellent screen resolution etc (thought AVH4390 was available, this model never struck a code with me).
Oct 2nd 2012: spending a calm and peaceful holiday with wifey and kids at home, my wife says "kids are having holidays from 19th and we are going home". Suddenly, i remembered 24th is a holiday for me and I am all alone at home . right time to do what my heart always wanted.
Oct 21st 2012: My wife calls and tells "there is an urgent matter here and you have to come during the week. Since you have a holiday, why dont you start the previous day?". With a heavy heart I agree and slowly i pack my bag and left for home town.
Nov 1 2012:Holiday again. But no installer were working on that day.
Nov 13 2012: Holiday again. But this time I was determined. Calls up Satya (EVO / Blueraven), confirms that he is open for the day.
I start out from home after "telling" my wife, "Hon, going out for an urgent work, will be back in 2 - 3 hours."
I reach EVO at around 12. My conversation with satya goes something like this ->"Satya, I had picked up an MB Quart component speaker from US sometime back. I need a matching 4 channel amp to power it". He looks at it, gets lost in thoughts for sometime (coz, this speaker is rated at 90w rms)and few phone calls later comes up with the best available choice within my budget.

Before boring you guys with the story, I am presenting you the details...

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 3rd December 2012 at 23:38.
anToNIcHeN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 00:58   #2

Re: ICE-ing my Vento

As per satya's suggestion, we finalize the amp to Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4.
I take a look at the amp and my mouth goes . The amp length is "just" the length of my palm (yes you read it right, my palm).
After we finalized the amp, almost immediately, work is started on the car.

Things that I omitted in the story.
My previous car already had sub woofer and mono amp that I bought way back in 2006. And I wasnt planning to upgrade them. So I was never bothered about sub and mono amp.

As they were working on my car, I hadnt decided to change my HU as I would loose the integration with the car.
3 things that was bothering me were steering wheel control, USB interface, reverse sensor integration. But eventually, my heart took over. And I said, "Satya, get me Pioneer AVH8490!". And in 1 hour the HU arrives at EVO.
Since this HU comes with USB / Aux inputs and cables and Reverse camera input, I decided to get an additional reverse camera too (a bad decision, I would tell you why later on!). So my worries almost put to rest (except for steering wheel control. yeah you win some, you loose some!)

Mean while, I wanted some clean and nice coaxials as the rear speakers.
Since front speakers were already powerful with almost matching amps, this too was a tough decision ( and I wasnt keen on spending too much on this).
Main concern was, if I go for too powerful / bright speakers, it would overpower front sound stage and at the same time, not very cheap speakers that it would be a mismatch for the rest of the system. He gave me 2 choices.
1. Arc Audio KS 6026
2. Hybrid Audio Mirus M61-2.
And I couldnt decide on anyone of them. Hence satya suggested, "I would give you the choice of the speaker after listening to existing set up (once everything is installed)". And true to his word, after installing everything and tuning the amp for front speakers, he said "you would be better off with arc audio".

So to summarize, these are the stuff that went into my car:
HU: Pioneer AVH8490
Front speaker : MB Quart RUA 213 90w rms component speaker.
4 channel amp (powering front and rear speaker): Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4 (75w rms x 4).
Rear speaker : Arc Audio KS6026 50w rms.
Mono amp : JBL CS300.1 300 w @2 ohms.
Sub woofer : JBL 1204D DVC Sub with 300 w RMS @2 ohms in a sealed box.
Wiring kit : Audison.
Other accesories : Reverse camera.

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 3rd December 2012 at 23:43.
Old 29th November 2012, 00:47   #3

Few pics of the set up (sorry I didnt take the Work-In-Progress pics for the same, hence only ones that I had taken later on is attached).

MB Quart Speaker packaging. notice the "handmade". Not sure whether "handmade" is just a marketing term.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121113_003.jpg

Speaker package opened.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121113_005.jpg

HU.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121122_001.jpg

HU switched on.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121122_002.jpg

Front component tweeter on A pillar.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121122_003.jpg

Sub woofer in the trunk.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121123_001.jpg

RF 4 channel amp under the seat.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121122_004.jpg

Mono amp under the seat.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121130_002.jpg

Power distribution block.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121129_006.jpg

Wire and fuse from the battery.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121129_004.jpg

The damping factor!
ICE-ing my Vento-20121129_003.jpg
The build quality of the vento is on the higher side. Hence didnt go for any sound dampeners on the door. We had to stuff the sponge beneath the rear parcel tray to reduce the vibrations due to sub woofer (rear parcel tray was already making some noise before installation - a common complaint in vento).

Reverse camera.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121201_002.jpg

Old speaker. Notice the 8ohms and "Made in Belgium".
ICE-ing my Vento-20121201_005.jpg

Any one who replaces the stock speakers would see a obvious "loudness" in sound due to 8 and 4 ohms difference.
Not sure whether the stock HU's internal amp is stable at 4ohms?

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 3rd December 2012 at 23:47.
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:29   #4

Reverse camera : Why I regret the decision!
1. Previously, Whenever the reverse gear was engaged, HU's display used to change to show the obstacles behind along with "beep beep" sound with varying interval to indicate the distance to the obstacle. I always used to think that the "beep beep" sound was coming from speakers. Now I realize that the "beep beep" is infact coming from another device hidden some where in the rear. End result is that, reverse sensors still work without a display.
2. When I am going to sell my car, I intend to take the ICE along. And hence if I refit the stock HU, it would end up in camera unit sticking out in the rear without any use (I cannot remove the camera module as it would leave a hole in the rear bumper. Another option would be to replace the entire bumper. very costly).

My advice to people thinking about replacing the stock HU. dont think about fitting a reverse camera to the system to preserve the reverse sensor.

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 2nd December 2012 at 00:30.
anToNIcHeN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 15:33   #5

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the ICE Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 6th December 2012, 20:20   #6

Great setup you got there mate! Congrats

One question- In your HU, have you tried playing video files from your iPhone or iPod? And what about the Advanced App feature? Is it easy to use?

If so, I'm planning on buying an iPod touch just for getting navigation in my system (standalone navigation modules for the Pioneer are expensive).
Old 8th December 2012, 11:42   #7

Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Great setup you got there mate! Congrats
Thanks buddy!.
One question- In your HU, have you tried playing video files from your iPhone or iPod? And what about the Advanced App feature? Is it easy to use?
Appmode in this HU works only with Iphone 4(&respective gen ipod touch / ipad) and above. Unfortunately I dont use an Iphone. SO cannot comment on appmode.
I have an Ipod 5th Gen (Video) though. The music in the Ipod works great. I can control Ipod from the HU itself.
I could see the video files. But when I play them, no picture or sounds comes. Not sure if its has to do with me converting some divx format to ipod format or i have to change some setting in the HU.

Attaching few pics.

Ipod connected to USB in the dash. Notice the place we had to make a hole to let the cables into the dash right next to stock usb unit. Aux cable is seen here. Display in Ipod changes to Pioneer.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121208_001.jpg

Song playback from Ipod.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121208_003.jpg

Song selection screen. Menu is same as that of Ipod.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121208_004.jpg

Movie selection screen.
ICE-ing my Vento-20121208_006.jpg

If so, I'm planning on buying an iPod touch just for getting navigation in my system (standalone navigation modules for the Pioneer are expensive).
Are you sure that you could get the location functionality with Ipod touch? Ipod doesnt have gps in it and location service in Ipod touch works only when there is a wifi. And it uses triangulation for finding the location.
Old 9th December 2012, 16:33   #8

mind sharing the price for the Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4 ?
Old 9th December 2012, 22:46   #9

Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
mind sharing the price for the Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4 ?
I paid 17K for the amp.

Now dont even go to amazon check the price. (Unfortunately, Indian prices are nowhere near the prices in US. If I had a choice of someone coming from US and they could carry an amp, I would have asked them to get me this --> http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...words=t400+amp. But this amp weighs around 8 pounds!. with severe restrictions in the weight that you can carry on board, this option was out of question. )

BTW, amazon link for PBR300x4 http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...dp/B004T163SY/
Old 9th December 2012, 23:01   #10

thanks for sharing the price, i was looking at something within 15k including the wiring to power my Focals!
Old 9th December 2012, 23:36   #11

Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post

Are you sure that you could get the location functionality with Ipod touch? Ipod doesnt have gps in it and location service in Ipod touch works only when there is a wifi. And it uses triangulation for finding the location.
I intend to use the Wi-fi hot-spot feature from my phone to gain access to the net. I still don't have any confirmed news about the video playback so having second thoughts.
Old 11th December 2012, 23:53   #12

I still don't have any confirmed news about the video playback so having second thoughts.
Figured out why video was not working. It requires additional accessory CD-IU201S. http://www.pioneer-india.in/wp-conte...d-app-mode.pdf
Details here says that even for displaying the videos etc, it is required. --> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...bles/CD-IU201S

I tried one of my colleague's iphone 4s for video playback. The result was same as I had described earlier (ie. no video or audio playback!)
Old 21st December 2012, 02:02   #13

Hi - Believe it or not - I went to book my Vento (Hiline Diesel model MY13) today and right after I completed my car inspection, paid the full amount and collected my receipt, I realized that I had not fully tried out the audio system and its features! A little earlier I had already got a mild jolt when the sales person told me during inspection that the steering control had a dummy button - the one that would appear to be your "Answer" button!! This certainly seemed strange - but I felt somewhat better when I was told that the reverse display / GPS navigation system would be able to respond to Voice-Activation - that would address the same function (also I was told that at a later time I would be able to upgrade when the real function was introduced by VW).

That was gnawing at the back of my mind - so then I asked as a sort of basic reality check if I'd be able to hookup my Phone to the car's audio system so that I could listen to the songs I like to store on it - the two hours I spend driving daily to/from work makes this a "bare necessity" for me. I do this on my 12-year old Esteem with an Aux input so I had not really expected any answer other than "Of course Sir!'' But I was surprised to hear a "No Sir!" Surely if not an Aux input there would now probably be much better ways to connect - such as Bluetooth or USB ? But again"No sir!" I was now alarmed and a couple of experts were called in to give me an answer! But there seemed to be no solution. The Sales head tried to help- he finally assured me that there was a sort of cable or similar available from a Croma store that might serve the purpose - he would send his person to try this out and would let me know by evening. To me this would a deal breaker if a top-end car of 12 Lakh Rs is not going to allow me to enjoy my music from my phone (which is a Samsung Note2 android Smartphone by the way).I was already told that if I fit an open-market (non-VW) equipment that would void the entire car's warranty!!! I told them that I would like to wait for a satisfactory solution to my problem and only then go ahead with my purchase ("Don't deposit my DD till I give a go-ahead"). They handled it well and assured me that they'd wait for my go-ahead. By evening I learnt that they have come across an FM Modulator attachment that would work. I am skeptical of this because it seems like a patchy "jugaad" type solution that does not give me a good feeling about buying such an expensive car! If they've missed such a basic feature what else might've been missed that I don't know about?

Anyway with that background I come to my questions. I hope I can get a solution from this learned community because I believe this is a really good car in all other ways:
1. Is there a good way for me to listen to my music played on the phone using the car's stock audio system? e.g. Bluetooth/USB I read some posts - mentioning solutions for iPhone - how about for Samsung Note2?

2. Is there a way to upgrade the music system to achieve this without Voiding the warranty? When people discuss about upgrading the ICE on this thread do people do it at the cost of losing the Warranty?

3. Even more than Warranty is there any cause to worry of serious electrical/car mishaps if such "un-approved" equipment is installed? I have read some posts on this site about Vento mishaps that raises this concern.

I would appreciate your early advice, since without a solution I might (reluctantly) even change my choice of the car. This may seem like an overreaction to some of you, but listening to quality music in the car is very important to me personally! Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:24   #14

Sorry about the delayed response. been on extended vaction. will try to answer your questions.
Originally Posted by donquixote View Post
1. Is there a good way for me to listen to my music played on the phone using the car's stock audio system? e.g. Bluetooth/USB I read some posts - mentioning solutions for iPhone - how about for Samsung Note2?
Vento does give you option to connect a USB device to the stock system. I read somewhere in the forum that someone had connected an android device (S2 I guess) to USB in Vento. This also means that you need to place the phone in the dash as vento's USB outlet is placed inside the dash.
2. Is there a way to upgrade the music system to achieve this without Voiding the warranty? When people discuss about upgrading the ICE on this thread do people do it at the cost of losing the Warranty?
You have plenty of options to upgrade the ICE with aftermarket ones. Downside would be, you would loose integration of few features with stock system. (Read the 1st post). As long as the installer doesnt physically cut the stock wires, warranty wont be void. What I have done doesnt void the warranty, coz, I made sure that none of the stock wires were cut to install the ICE.
If you go to a good installer, you should be OK.
3. Even more than Warranty is there any cause to worry of serious electrical/car mishaps if such "un-approved" equipment is installed? I have read some posts on this site about Vento mishaps that raises this concern.
You need not worry about it, as long as you install the standard wires and equipments (not some unheard chinese brands) in the car.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:20   #15

Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
So to summarize, these are the stuff that went into my car:
HU: Pioneer AVH8490
Front speaker : MB Quart RUA 213 90w rms component speaker.
4 channel amp (powering front and rear speaker): Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4 (75w rms x 4).
Rear speaker : Arc Audio KS6026 50w rms.
Mono amp : JBL CS300.1 300 w @2 ohms.
Sub woofer : JBL 1204D DVC Sub with 300 w RMS @2 ohms in a sealed box.
Wiring kit : Audison.
Other accesories : Reverse camera.
Great choice of ICE components, @anToNIcHeN!

After months of researching for an HU replacement, I am kinda leaning towards the 8490BT. How much did it cost you? I might plomp my money on it once I reach my target savings. How has been your experience with the HU in general?

I am not planning to go for an amp as of now. the built-in 50Wx4 should suffice me as of now with my 120W Hertz coaxs and components. What do you think?

Also, didn't see you mention about damping material. Did you install them? If yes, which brand?