Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Recommended entertainment system for Skoda Superb V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't think the Superb has a stock amp. It has only 8 speakers, and not 12. As far as I know only 12 speaker systems like on the Laura L&K have a separate amp. Do check this out first.
Very interesting information. How do i verify this without actually pulling the system apart? I would like to finalize a solution on paper before i do any kind of dismantling. I looked under the seat and can seem to see some box with wires coming out of it, but read on the net that this could also be the controls for the electronic seat adjustments and airbags.

so any way to check and confirm if it comes with stock amp ?
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think the Superb has a stock amp. It has only 8 speakers, and not 12. As far as I know only 12 speaker systems like on the Laura L&K have a separate amp. Do check this out first.
Jinu, Nitin's experience with the L&K is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...laura-l-k.html

The one Superb I saw was Sam's (Kapasi) when he fit the MS-8 in it. There was no stock amplifier in this car and the MS-8's amplifier was used to drive the speakers.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Jinu, Nitin's experience with the L&K is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...laura-l-k.html

The one Superb I saw was Sam's (Kapasi) when he fit the MS-8 in it. There was no stock amplifier in this car and the MS-8's amplifier was used to drive the speakers.
Ok so that clears it then. In the 8 speaker system the head unit powers the speakers, and in the 12 speaker system there is an external amp.

The head units outputs can be changed from amped outputs to a pre amp output, I don't remember whether this was through VCDS or a hidden menu on the head unit itself. But that may be another option if you are looking to add an amp. Briskoda will give you more information on this.
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
... 1. Does the superb have a built in stock amplifier. I have seen a few threads which say it has a stock amp/DSP. ...
3. How many speakers are there in the Superb 2.0 TDI CR AT Elegenance 2010 model ( I think its 8 based on the grills i can see on the door, but not sure) ...
You have to figure it out yourself for your car, since there are many possible configurations (q.v. User Manual). Despite the presence of grills, it is possible you car has only 4 speakers driven directly by HU. Your A.S.S. guys can help you find the actual configuration. Just pry the grill out and see if there is a speaker behind it - you only need to do that on one side of the car.

Quote:
... 2. Can i connect the sub to this stock amp. ...
No, you can't. The HU internal amp can't drive it. Nor if there is a '10 ch amp' since that one supplies 4x50W (for the mid-bass; this includes tweeters if they have components in doors) in the doors, and 6x25W (for the other smaller speakers at the back and sides). A 5.1 system it is definitely not.

Quote:
... 4. What is the general opinion on the quality of these stock speakers ? Personally i found them to be good, ...
The 'general opinion' always is "stock speakers are quite inferior to aftermarket speakers". This is because of Bill Of Materials cost considerations.

However, you shouldn't worry about general opinion. It is only your own perception that matters. The sound from the stock speakers will definitely improve if you add an external amp, but one doesn't expect a sea change.

Quote:
... I still have a little over 1 year extended warranty and knowing SKODA i dont want anything endangering this. ...
Go to an experienced installer like @bass&trouble who know what they are saying and doing

Quote:
... 2. I need the amp and sub to be totally concealed. Further i cannot compromise on boot space. ...
The amp would go most probably on the back of the rear seat on a ply / MDF sheet.

Quote:
... But one option i was thinking of was to use the two cubby holes on both sides of the boot. ...
Good idea, especially if you are able to fit a 12" sub there. 2x10" is the alternative. You will need to get fibre-glass enclosures built to use that space.

Quote:
... where should the amp input come from, the HU, the stock amp/dsp ...
1. To get the best out of your stock HU, it would be good if you can put in a DSP. If you are retaining the OE speakers, skip the DSP for the time being

2. Whether DSP or external amp, if there are no Pre-outs wired to RCA sockets at the back of the HU, you can draw signal from the speaker connections by using a LOC (Line Output Converter). Some DSPs and Amps have this built in, so you don't have to buy an extra LOC

3. New speaker wiring will be drawn from the external amp to the stock / replacement speakers

Quote:
... Sorry but i dont know much about the high end cars and have to go with what members in this forum advice. If it was computers it would have been a different story ...
There is not much difference between high end and common cars. One doesn't have to know everything, as long as one has a starting point and follows up in reading and asking further. Please ask as many questions as you want - we are there to help you.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Go to an experienced installer like @bass&trouble who know what they are saying and doing
A bit of OT.

This is going to be very interesting. I and B&T seem to have a very special relationship. This will the third time that B&T is coming to my aid (if he is kind enough to agree) but i haven't been able to follow through with the actual install for various reasons.

The first time in 2009 there was a family emergency because of which the upgrade plans got shelved. The second time was in 2011 when i was going to ice my Optra. But then car upgrade plans took priority and this got shelved. I got rid of the Optra but never actually upgraded. Finally after 2 years now i have got the Superb, last month, and again I am back to B&T.

So my options are:
1. Add a DSP (for eg: MS-8) and use the stock HU and speakers. But can i add a Sub Woofer directly to the MS-8 (say a 12" or 2 10" subs) without an amp. or will i need an amp.

2. Second option would be to replace the stock HU with a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, but retain the stock speakers. I understand that this is a VAG approved HU and can be plugged in without loss of any stock functionality or any errors showing up in any of the service scans. In this case i would not need a DSP but would need atleast a 4 channel amp if not a 5 channel one.

Does any of the above options have any advantage over the other.
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... again I am back to B&T. ...
Perhaps this time you would be 'third time lucky'!

Quote:
... 1. Add a DSP ... But can i add a Sub Woofer directly to the MS-8 (say a 12" or 2 10" subs) ...
The MS/8 doesn't have enough power to drive a sub. You will have to use another amp

Quote:
... 2. ... replace the stock HU with a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, but retain the stock speakers. I understand that this is a VAG approved HU ... In this case i would not need a DSP but would need atleast a 4 channel amp if not a 5 channel one. ...
Correct, but without the OE HU, your OE speakers would start sounding crappy with the new HU. You will have to replace the OE speakers too.

No you wouldn't need a DSP, and yes you can get away with a 4 or 5 ch amp.

Quote:
... Does any of the above options have any advantage over the other.
Option 2 is far better an option than Option 1 even though it might sound a lot of cost in one go.
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:52   #22
BHPian

You can buy the OEM kit from http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Accessories to maintain the Stock look and have a nice stereo at the same time.

See the Music system section.
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ Jinu: Like I'd mentioned earlier, this is not an impossible task, just two points to consider:

1. The costs will sky rocket
2. Its got to be done by someone who really knows the Skoda/VW wiring & CANBUS systems. You should not cut/snip any wires but use adaptor plugs.

Finally, Skoda dealers may/may not give warranty.

You can get CANBUS based HUs, but I haven't so far seen such amps. You can use additional DSPs but keep in mind that means you would have additional controls and loose the "stock" feeling and ergonomy. Infact, after my install, Thouqeer has stopped doing for Laura & Superbs (his words) as he says the risk is not worth it.

Through VCDs there are some options that you can tweak here and there. Sukesh (Vagtune) has done this for me and mine sounds a lot better. Indeed, you cannot "tune" the system like the way you can with the normal HU & Amp systems.

Having said that, I came to know Vinayak Skoda of Bangalore does some Audio installations, not sure if they offer it for Superb though. You may reach out to Suresh: +91 9900033439

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th May 2014 at 10:19. Reason: Old post - but removing a corrupt image.
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would advise against a ICE upgrade as I feel the stock HU with 8 speakers is very very good when compared to other stock HUs that I have seen in many cars. At most you can add bluetooth module if that didn't come fitted in your car because that is a must add-on and provides so much convenience.

Still if you go ahead, I would suggest you checkout the Blaupunkt Philadelphia HU details of which I had posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3126492
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:01   #25
BHPian

Thanks folks for all you feedback.

I agree that the stock system sounds good compared to other stock systems, but the bass is not good at all. But then I am coming from an Optra that had components, amps and a sub.

As advised by Navin and Akshay, since this is a 8 speaker setup, there is no stock amplifier so i am not sure if any tuning/setting can be done through VCDS.

Actually speaking all i need is an additional sub with a amp to go along with it. But the cost for getting this done right in a SKODA SUPERB is high. Even if i go with just an DSP, sub and amp the costs will be high.

The biggest concern i have of putting in an amp is the drawing of power cables from the battery, that i guess is reason enough for the the SKODA service center to decline warranty, saying that the electricals of the car have been tampered with.

I know its easy to simply live with the existing sound system, but then its like that itch that just wont go away.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... reason enough for the the SKODA service center to decline warranty, saying that the electricals of the car have been tampered with. ...
No they can't, if you are drawing a separately fused line from the battery. That is not considered 'tampering'. Tampering is altering existing wires and cables. If you add an amp on the separately fused line, they cannot say it violates something.

Please remember they can *only* caution you and say that *if done by them* everything is fine and dandy. That doesn't naturally extend to "If done by someone else the warranty is void". Warranty cannot be voided unless you alter a system or component originally supplied by them. If you alter it, obviously they cannot give a warranty on the alteration / replacement done by you. So, if you replace the OE HU & speakers with your own, they won't provide warranty on HU and speakers any longer.

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd July 2013 at 10:40.
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No they can't, if you are drawing a separately fused line from the battery. That is not considered 'tampering'. Tampering is altering existing wires and cables. If you add an amp on the separately fused line, they cannot say it violates something.

Good news

I called up the JMD workshop and spoke to my service advisor and he said that ideally it should not void the warranty. But if there are any errors which need to be rectified under warranty and during the scanning of that error if they receive an error related to the upgraded HU then the warranty claim will be rejected (even if the original error was not related to the HU). But to clairfy he asked me to speak to their accessories person.

I spoke the accessories person and he confirmed that replacing the stock HU with the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 will not void the warranty. Also adding the amplifier will also not void the warranty as long as wires are not cut, spliced on any existing wiring and the same is done in a professional manner with fuses etc.

Now comes the planning part, to decide on the components that should go into the system. So far I have decided that the HU will be Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. Now to figure out the rest.

One quick question any idea what the speakers are on the rear of the Superb, is there a tweeter on the rear ?

EDIT: of figured out that the rear speakers are a woofer (not a sub) and mid tone (and not a tweeter). So how do you go about purchasing this. Do i go for a 3 way component and put tweeter and woofer in the front door and the mid tone in the rear ?

EDIT 2: I did not realise that 3-way speakers are so expensive. So what if i go with regular 2 way components for the front door. Retain the Stock speakers for the rear doors and get a 5 channel amp along with a sub.

Last edited by jinu_joseph : 23rd July 2013 at 14:04.
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:45   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

One quick question any idea what the speakers are on the rear of the Superb, is there a tweeter on the rear ?
Yes one tweeter and one midbass in each door. Why not just speak to Ajay and let him sort everything out?
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes one tweeter and one midbass in each door. Why not just speak to Ajay and let him sort everything out?
Confirmed that there is no tweeter in the rear door. There is a midtone and a woogfer. Tweeter is present only in the front doors. I have sent Ajay a PM, awaiting his revert.
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Confirmed that there is no tweeter in the rear door. There is a midtone and a woogfer. ...
You should have taken pics and posted them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks