Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Recommended entertainment system for Skoda Superb V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You should have taken pics and posted them.
Actually did not open up the door panel or anything. Did a visual inspection and in the front door there are only 2 speaker grills. One in the door handle and one at the lower end of the door. In the rear door the speaker grills are not present in the door handle (indicating absence of tweeter) and the 2 grills are in mid door and lower end of the door. This was further ratified by the door explosion diagram shown in the partbase site.

http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/super...aux-in-socket/
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
... door explosion diagram shown in the partbase site. ...
A-ha! They have provision for a 3-way component system in the front, and a 2-way component system in the rear doors. I say provision, because it is still not clear what your car actually has. Skoda seems to have a different terminology than what we commonly use:
- 'bass loudspeaker' (mid-bass)
- 'mid tone speaker' (mid-range)
- 'treble speaker' (tweeter)

The 'mid tone/treble loudspeaker' would be the equivalent of the tweeter in 2-way components.

Yes, no way to pry the grill open - you have to remove the door pad. Or use a torch to check what is behind the grill.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, no way to pry the grill open - you have to remove the door pad. Or use a torch to check what is behind the grill.
In my front door there are no speaker grills where the mid tone speaker is shown in the diagram. Similarly on the back door there are no grills in the door handle like it is present in the front door.

Anyways not very keen on presenting a good sound stage to those sitting in the rear as i will always be in the drivers seat.

I will be searching for my torch to see if there is anything behind those speaker grills.

By the way, do you think there is a market for the original HU of the superb as I would like to sell it if i am getting a decent amount. But understand that each HU has a personalized code which is required at the time of installation. How do i get this code ?

How much would i get for this if i were to sell this ?

Last edited by jinu_joseph : 23rd July 2013 at 17:10.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much would i get for this if i were to sell this ?
Ideally, you should get around 25-30K, if its a genuine buyer, else people would ask for throw away prices.

If there's no amplifier (which I feel so because you've only mentioned 8 speakers), you can start with the Blaupunkt Philadelphia HU.

If the dealer agrees to install the amplifier for you, please get it in writing that the warranty would not be void.

I collected my car from 1st service, just a few hours ago from Vinayak Skoda. The SE told me though they install amps/subs etc., the warranty would be void as those are after market systems.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... market for the original HU of the superb ...
Depends on who you ask! Sometimes there might be someone waiting for a replacement, which the Service guys would know. Ask the SA to start with. Outside, you will have to ask the experienced installers. Other than these, it will only attract junk dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Ideally, you should get around 25-30K ...
The justifiable price to a decent logical buyer (not an opportunist) is <= 30% of the VW spare part cost. You are selling a used piece after all, and there would be heavy depreciation based on age. I don't know the spare part cost of the HU.

Quote:
... The SE told me though they install amps/subs etc., the warranty would be void as those are after market systems.
* Did he at least tell you Warranty of WHAT would be void? The expression seems to be a pointer to the warranty being void on anything and everything in the car - a very illogical expectation

* Does he understand what 'void' means in this context? Does he understand that he cannot 'void' a warranty given by someone else (the manufacturer of the amp / sub)?

* He can only support or not support you with service. He can only talk of VW parts, and obviously cannot give support for non-VW BOM parts

* If there is warranty on a VW part, it should / would be replaced without cost provided you were not the cause of the demise of the part (please recollect the Skoda case earlier this year). If you have done something that caused it's demise (including an accident), you are supposed to pay for the replacement. Simple!

* If you buy an amp / sub from outside market, you are responsible for warranty claim / getting service for these items. If the SA helps out, that is nothing official. If he takes official stance, he will not waste his time and tell you to handle it yourself.
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* Did he at least tell you Warranty of WHAT would be void? The expression seems to be a pointer to the warranty being void on anything and everything in the car - a very illogical expectation.
The electrical warranty would be void

Quote:
Does he understand what 'void' means in this context? Does he understand that he cannot 'void' a warranty given by someone else (the manufacturer of the amp / sub)? .
Skoda India simply listens to the feedback given by the respective dealers, so when the dealers quote there is an aftermarket system/accessory due to which the damage occurred, warranty would be void, or if you've installed an aftermarket accessory, its considered as tempering and warranty void. Whether we like it or not, that's the way Skoda India operates.

Quote:
He can only support or not support you with service. He can only talk of VW parts, and obviously cannot give support for non-VW BOM parts.
What if some VW/Skoda default part gets spoiled? They would say its due to the accessory we've installed, thus making us not only pay for the spares and repairs but also have to remove the accessories if you expect them to do the repairs.

Quote:
If there is warranty on a VW part, it should / would be replaced without cost provided you were not the cause of the demise of the part (please recollect the Skoda case earlier this year). If you have done something that caused it's demise (including an accident), you are supposed to pay for the replacement. Simple!.
So that's why they're asking you NOT to install anything aftermarket.

Quote:
If you buy an amp / sub from outside market, you are responsible for warranty claim / getting service for these items. If the SA helps out, that is nothing official. If he takes official stance, he will not waste his time and tell you to handle it yourself.
Obviously! But we're talking about Skoda voiding warranty when we install aftermarket systems, irrespective of something happens or not. We're only worried about Skoda warranty and NOT the accessory warranty.

The challenge here is that Skoda would void electrical warranty and even refuse to examine your vehicle should you go back to them with a problem. If you expect them to support, all the accessories should be removed to stock.

As I'd mentioned earlier, its not an impossible task and up to the individual. If you have enough money to spend for repairs, one can go ahead with any modification. On the other hand, if you expect Skoda to support you throughout the warranty period, you have to go by their terms.

We can argue till the cows come home but Skoda wont change their terms.

Last edited by nitinbose : 23rd July 2013 at 20:39.
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The electrical warranty would be void ...
Are you sure there is a separate warranty like that?

Quote:
... Skoda India simply listens to the feedback given by the respective dealers, ... Skoda wont change their terms.
Rational thought always prevails, as anyone can make illogical associations in this subject. Skoda agreed that there was no contravention of terms when an amp was added by an external professional installer, as there was no relationship between the amp and the failure of window winder motor.

Of course, one has the freedom of not believing that and live with self-created constraints even if rational interpretation of terms says otherwise.
Old 24th July 2013, 06:59   #38
BHPian

Actually i am not sure about the interpretation of the warranty by other SKODA workshops, but JMD Skoda mumbai have made their stand clear on the impact of upgradation of music system in the Superb.

As long as the HU is an approved product ( When i had asked the accessories person about the Philadelphia 835, he asked me to wait as he had to check if it was part of the approved list of products) the warranty terms are not impacted.

Regarding the amp he said as long as the the amplifier is a renowned international brand and the install is done professionally with proper sized cables, fuses and without damaging any of the existing components or wires, the warranty will not be void.

So i am good to go. But i need help in finalizing the comps. The HU has been decided, but not sure what amp and sub to go with. Any ideas ?
Old 24th July 2013, 09:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually i am not sure about the interpretation of the warranty by other SKODA workshops, but JMD Skoda mumbai have made their stand clear on the impact of upgradation of music system in the Superb.

So i am good to go. But i need help in finalizing the comps. The HU has been decided, but not sure what amp and sub to go with. Any ideas ?
Jinu, that's great to know! However, Please try and get it in writing the warranty would not be void after the audio install. With the philadelpia unit you can opt for a 4/5 channel amp such as Rockford Fosgate, DLS, Focal etc., along a similarly brand sub and components!

Enjoy!
Old 24th July 2013, 10:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... i need help in finalizing the comps. The HU has been decided, but not sure what amp and sub to go with. Any ideas ?
1. First decide whether you are OK with a 12" sub in a sealed box, or you want 1x12", 2x12" or 2x10" on the sides of the boot in custom FG enclosures

2. If you want a lot of thump, go for a mono for the sub. Otherwise, a good 4-channel sub would do, driving the front components and the sub. If 2x12" or 2x10" you would definitely need a mono. Audition subs and decide which goes for you - don't take something that goes loud but not really low. Infinity Kappa / Reference, JBL, Bull, JL Audio, Rainbow ...

3. Amp could be Kenwood, JBL, etc. If the HU is Blaupunkt, you could consider the Blaupunkt THA555 PnP but you can't drive 2 subs with it

4. Audition components. No audition - move on, don't buy. Infinity, JBL, RF, Boston, Rainbow, ... there are many brands and models

Higher cost does not necessarily mean better equipment or better sound. Trust your own ears and not sales talk or brand pushing ("This is the best in the market" type). Ask Ajay, he will guide you well.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:02   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A
So my options are:
1. Add a DSP (for eg: MS-8) and use the stock HU and speakers.

2. Second option would be to replace the stock HU with a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, but retain the stock speakers. ...but would need atleast a 4 channel amp if not a 5 channel one.
If you are getting the 835 and amp then better to upgrade the speakers too.

If you are getting a DSP the MS8 will provide 20w rms to front and rear but only a line out for a n active sub or amplifier + sub. There are other DSPs from Alpine, Helix, Audisson, Rockford etc.. that should also be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would advise against a ICE upgrade as I feel the stock HU with 8 speakers is very very good when compared to other stock HUs that I have seen in many cars.
Compared to other stock systems, Skoda's stock systems in at least the vRS and L&K were quite good. Never heard a stock Superb. Still a 3rd party system should be able to outperform a stock Superb system.

Quote:
Confirmed that there is no tweeter in the rear door. There is a midtone and a woogfer. Tweeter is present only in the front doors. I have sent Ajay a PM, awaiting his revert.
keep in mind, Ajay is in the US so might take a while to revert.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:

3. Amp could be Kenwood, JBL, etc. If the HU is Blaupunkt, you could consider the Blaupunkt THA555 PnP but you can't drive 2 subs with it
There will only be 1 sub preferably 12" in the side pocket of the boot with a custom fiberglass enclosure. I am hoping Ajay will be able to work his magic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

keep in mind, Ajay is in the US so might take a while to revert.
Thanks Navin. This i did not know. Any idea when he is back ?

Ideally i would like to update the HU and all the speakers with sub and amp. If i dont have to replace the HU then thats a straight saving of 50K, which i can invest in a better amp/sub/speakers.

Blaupunkt has plug and play adapters that allow me to connect the stock HU directly to their amplifiers (THA 555 PNP). They have this specifically for the skoda superb. I can use that adapter to directly connect the stock HU to the THA 555 PNP. This way i will get the ability to add the Sub without having to change the HU. For some reason I had rejected this option because somewhere in my mind i was thinking that since there is not stock amp in the superb, this option wont work.

My only doubt is that Skoda Superb has different audio systems depending on the region, i wonder if all of them have the same interface.
Old 24th July 2013, 14:42   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Navin. This i did not know. Any idea when he is back ?

Ideally i would like to update the HU and all the speakers with sub and amp. If i dont have to replace the HU then thats a straight saving of 50K, which i can invest in a better amp/sub/speakers.

I can use that adapter to directly connect the stock HU to the THA 555 PNP. This way i will get the ability to add the Sub without having to change the HU. For some reason I had rejected this option because somewhere in my mind i was thinking that since there is not stock amp in the superb, this option wont work.
No idea what Ajay will be back. The 555 option seems like the least expensive option to me. No need for DSP or new HU so all the money can be poured into a better speakers.

Remember that a DSP will likely allow you to time align the subwoofer to the front speakers, this you cannot do with a THA555.
Old 24th July 2013, 16:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If you are getting a DSP the MS8 will provide 20w rms to front and rear but only a line out for a n active sub or amplifier + sub. There are other DSPs from Alpine, Helix, Audisson, Rockford etc.. that should also be considered.
Did some more R&D and found that the stock HU has only 4 channel outs 2 for the rear and 2 for the front. Further the Blaupunkt PNP adapter cable only extracts this data and sends it to the amplifier. I was assuming that it would also use the CANBUS and other signals and do something with that, but a look at the amplifier end of the cable shows that those are dead ends and not used. Was a bit disappointed to see this.

I looked at the Alpine, Helix and Rockford DSP on the net, cost wise they are almost in the same price range 45-55K. Performance wise i think Alpine and JBL and Helix are the most famous with best reviews. Helix not having auto tune feature being considered as a drawback by some. Personally i have never seen a DSP in action in a car and have never experienced the advantages of time-alignment.

What is your opinion on these DSPs?
Old 24th July 2013, 16:19   #45
Team-BHP Support

I use a DSP in 2 of out my 3 cars. My wife's Honda City has the Alpine 650 and my Camry has the Audison Bit 10. My mom does not need a DSP as she has an Alpine 9887 in her car which has TA.

if you want to retain stock looks, steering wheel controls etc.. the DSP is a great option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks