Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 17:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

LBM makes a Subwoofer!

Hello guys. Everyone know that I love bass and that to lots and lots of it. Have been doing install since childhood. Used to make amplifiers in tiffin boxes and walkman as playback source and Bolton Speakers. I Used to love that sound !! Time passed and the passion grow and crave for more bass and more bass increased. Then came the time I joined this car audio industry I would Sincerely like to thanks Ajay Kamath aka Bass&Trouble. I really enjoyed that part, but due to some constraints I had to push a little back.

Now just as a enthusiast I started installing the equipment in my ride. Did few installs which were the one of a kind in whole of in India. I was first one to do a hair trick here is a vid of the same..

Anyways I dismantled my earlier ride but again made another ride. Here is a vid of the same. Again first wall install in India.

Broke my ride windshield

Anyways that's lots of stories, In my back of my mind I wanted to do something different. So I planned to make a Sub myself.

Here are a few pics of the same..

Machine done of the motor.
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130329_163818-large.jpg

Assemblyof the motor to be done
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130329_194821-large.jpg

Motor complete and magnetized
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130330_152921-large.jpg

Mockup of the sub
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130330_174434-large.jpg

Voice Coil winded
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130330_212643-large.jpg

Assemblyof spider on former with voice coil
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130331_142734-large.jpg

The complete set of soft parts
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130331_154408-large.jpg

Run-in at the car back seat.
LBM makes a Subwoofer!-20130401_184310-large.jpg

The sub at low power (100-200 rms) was played for few hrs before the final testing can be done. But as soon after installing it a enclosure and with just 1000 rms the sub broke before completing one song

Anyways there is not always success in first try. I made few changes in the materials and adhesives and vola the second one played for 15 mins !!!! But this time I measured the output of the same with the few top notch subs in the market will post the details of the same in my next post.
low_bass_makker is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 18:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: LBM makes a Subwoofer!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sound Off & Show Off Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 19:28   #3
BHPian

nice man!
about the speaker not lasting, did the diaphragm rupture?
what material are you using for the Diaphragm? paper?
I had these speakers once that claimed to have had kevlar cones [AudioEngine 2] and were kickass. Maybe you can make your's bulletproof as well?
Sprucegoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 19:50   #4
BHPian

I have auditioned these monsters , they produce some serious bass . I was cruising my swift in front LBM tsi , and bass was felt in my car which was few meters away . Now you all can think , how much these LBM woofers are pushing out bass .
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 20:16   #5
BHPian

Woah, thats some transition LBM. Congratulations !!

We all know how crazy you have been with your hunger for more bass and the extent you have gone to make it happen in your car, loads of information in team-bhp for the same.

Making your sub woofer is a great idea - wish you best of luck and will wait patiently for the entire report and results of this sub.

Any name you have planned for the sub ?
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
nice man!
about the speaker not lasting, did the diaphragm rupture?
what material are you using for the Diaphragm? paper?
I had these speakers once that claimed to have had kevlar cones [AudioEngine 2] and were kickass. Maybe you can make your's bulletproof as well?
I am using thick non pressed paper cone. It is quite rigid, lots of companies are using the same. About the Kevlar cones that can be a options but in India getting something is always a issue !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
I have auditioned these monsters , they produce some serious bass . I was cruising my swift in front LBM tsi , and bass was felt in my car which was few meters away . Now you all can think , how much these LBM woofers are pushing out bass .
Thanks Kaku Paaji !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Woah, thats some transition LBM. Congratulations !!

We all know how crazy you have been with your hunger for more bass and the extent you have gone to make it happen in your car, loads of information in team-bhp for the same.

Making your sub woofer is a great idea - wish you best of luck and will wait patiently for the entire report and results of this sub.

Any name you have planned for the sub ?
Thanks Sir. About the name it will be call LBM Sub !!!!
Old 10th May 2013, 16:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats LBM, now you have become the Low Bass Master of India. Insurance companies will soon disqualify cars fitted with your subs from their comprehensive cover with these kind of insane bass.
esteem_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 23:24   #8
BHPian

Wow amazing stuff bro LBM!! You have been creating some crazy stories man!! Keep it up.
As someone asked about its name, I was going to suggest you that you wont get better name than Low_bass_makker (LBM) but you did not need my suggestion man.
However there is another suggestion from me which is you should think of making a midbass (atleast 7" if not 8") in the range of ~15K and then later commercializing it.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 12th May 2013 at 23:26.
rsjaurr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 17:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Congrats LBM, now you have become the Low Bass Master of India. Insurance companies will soon disqualify cars fitted with your subs from their comprehensive cover with these kind of insane bass.
Thanks Sir !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Wow amazing stuff bro LBM!! You have been creating some crazy stories man!! Keep it up.
As someone asked about its name, I was going to suggest you that you wont get better name than Low_bass_makker (LBM) but you did not need my suggestion man.
However there is another suggestion from me which is you should think of making a midbass (atleast 7" if not 8") in the range of ~15K and then later commercializing it.
Thanks Sir. I would be keep the same name as you suggested. I am rather a subwoofer guy. Midbass does not ring my bell. But I cannot know I might do that also.
low_bass_makker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 19:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great LBM - Just curious - What is the SPL levels inside the car?
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 19:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you LBM!!! You're one hell of a passionate guy! Still remember the old days of arguements. Haha. Those were fun. But now that we've grown out of it, I have nothing but respect for your passion. Hope you soon start a SPL Subwoofer manufacturing firm and your sub's are named LBM 8, LBM 10, LBM 12, LBM 15 and so on! hahaha. And we'll fight again over SQ vs SPL. haha.

By the way I think next you should aim at Home audio. It would be awesome to see some windows cracking and hight SPL levels in rooms!
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 12:57   #12
BHPian

Wow Lbm that some serious effort.
Here I go mad when I have to do a recone and you are building the sub all by yourself.
So what really broke in the sub when you did the testing?
Voice coil? The Cone and surround looks like it can handle the mechanical torture of 1000Ws.
I am really interested in your project.

What former did you use and what about the pole venting? Cooling system etc... How many layers or coil???

Just awesome! Keep this rolling.
general_neo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 17:06   #13
BHPian

LBM- just one word for you 'CRAZY'.

Loved the video.
Have been showing it around to people who talk about bass and whose car has better bass. I tell them 'BEAT THIS' with a wide grin on my face.
Truly appreciate your passion & dedication!!
Wireless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 15:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Great LBM - Just curious - What is the SPL levels inside the car?
147.6 db legal sealed on the dash score with a musically tuned enclosure. With a spl tuned enclosure it will be much more !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Hats off to you LBM!!! You're one hell of a passionate guy! Still remember the old days of arguements. Haha. Those were fun. But now that we've grown out of it, I have nothing but respect for your passion. Hope you soon start a SPL Subwoofer manufacturing firm and your sub's are named LBM 8, LBM 10, LBM 12, LBM 15 and so on! hahaha. And we'll fight again over SQ vs SPL. haha.

By the way I think next you should aim at Home audio. It would be awesome to see some windows cracking and hight SPL levels in rooms!
Thanks Navpreet. Ya it was fun but I feel a little different. I would like to apologize if I was wrong at some place. Not planning anything like 8,10,12 inches sub. Just 15 inch sub for the time being. I might launch it also If I feel confident enough that the sub is worth to be sold.

Home audio is not my interest. I love car audio because you get low bass due to the small cabin of the vehicle which cannot be achieved in a home because of a large room

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
Wow Lbm that some serious effort.
Here I go mad when I have to do a recone and you are building the sub all by yourself.
So what really broke in the sub when you did the testing?
Voice coil? The Cone and surround looks like it can handle the mechanical torture of 1000Ws.
I am really interested in your project.

What former did you use and what about the pole venting? Cooling system etc... How many layers or coil???

Just awesome! Keep this rolling.
Thanks General Neo. The main two failures I faced were first the duration and then the output. The duration was due to the voice coil bonding glue. The temperature of the voice coil goes up to 110+ degrees when played with 1000+ rms power which caused the failure but now I have upgraded the glue which can handle up to 200 degrees.

The output was due to some design failure which was overcome by some trial and error. The end result is now awesome.

I am using aluminum former. I am not using pole venting till now but will. I am making a 4 layer 4 inch diameter aluminum wire voice coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
LBM- just one word for you 'CRAZY'.

Loved the video.
Have been showing it around to people who talk about bass and whose car has better bass. I tell them 'BEAT THIS' with a wide grin on my face.
Truly appreciate your passion & dedication!!
Thanks Wireless !!
Old 20th May 2013, 00:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post

Thanks General Neo. The main two failures I faced were first the duration and then the output. The duration was due to the voice coil bonding glue. The temperature of the voice coil goes up to 110+ degrees when played with 1000+ rms power which caused the failure but now I have upgraded the glue which can handle up to 200 degrees.

The output was due to some design failure which was overcome by some trial and error. The end result is now awesome.

I am using aluminum former. I am not using pole venting till now but will. I am making a 4 layer 4 inch diameter aluminum wire voice coil.

Thanks Wireless !!
Lbm, pushing such amount of power into a Hi performance sub is fine for a second or two. I can accept that fact somehow on a self build sub.

What I can't believe it's 147db. I mean I have build so many trunk cars. I will agree I haven't pushed more than 3000kw rms on any trunk based project and the best I could do was 144 db at 32hz on 2 15s and 143db at 34hz on one dc audio xl 15 on dc audio 2.0k

And did I read 11hz??? You did that score on 11hz? Wow.

The glue will be the main part of your project if you plan to go mainstream.

In my experience people tend to clip the amp and eventually the coil doesn't cool enough and is completely unwound bcoz the glue Melts

Are you using flat aluminum wire?

I guess with flat wire you could go to 8 layers.

4 inch vc is huge. I could put my whole hand. But then you need that size for cooling.

I am f

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks