Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:49   #1

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System

Today I brought home my Honda City MT (Manual Transmission), Carnelian Red, that comes factory fitted Audio Visual & Navigation System. Drove it for only about 20 Km today since I received the vehicle only around 7 PM.

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-1.jpg

It is am amazing vehicle and the AVN system is a revelation.

Only one immediate surprise is that the central lock is manual. Which means, even if the vehicle is cruising at 60 km, the doors do not lock automatically, something that I took for granted in my 11 year old Hyundai Santro.

Overall a very smooth riding vehicle. the navigation cum entertainment system comes with a touch based mobile integration, as well as Bluetooth integration which opens up completely new experiences. More later, when I cross 400 km.

Update 1:

In the course of my research before buying the car, I could not find too many visuals of the City's AVN system and neither could I find any first hand experience. Therefore, it is imperative that I place this experience in this discussion. Please bear in mind that I am writing this on the third day of taking delivery of the car so these are early experiences.

AVN, in Honda's lingo, stands for Audio, Video and Navigation system. This variant comes with a factory fitted 4 DIN AVN system, which performs the entertainment function, mobile integration and navigation. The below visual shows the home screen of the AVN system. It is a touch screen.

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-3.jpg

There are two rows of controls. In the top row we see the Navigation, Radio, Disc, and Bluetooth. The next row shows USB, iPod, Aux and Settings.

I was explained that the video will work only when the car is stationary. The understanding given is that this is a safety feature to prevent driver distraction. I partly agree to the logic. I say partly because the driver has to anyway refer to the driving map on the same screen!

I quickly connected my Sony Xperia X10 phone via Bluetooth and noticed that my phonebook got immediately transferred to the car. I have about 600 odd contacts on my phone and it took about a minute. The phone interface unit presents a nice touch screen dialler.

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-4.jpg

The phonebook provides an up-down arrow based navigation. I am yet to understand how to locate a specific name somewhere down in the addressbook because the arrow based scroll will take ages if I have to locate a specific name quickly. But once you make a call, the sound quality is quite good as it comes through the main speakers of the car. The mic also appears to be placed discretely since I have not been able to spot it. One can view call logs also.

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-5.jpg

The navigation bit is quite interesting. While I am not sure of the original supplier of the AVN hardware, I could gather that the map is coming from MapMyIndia and carries the audio support. Having used only Google Map on my mobile for driving in Hyderabad and Bangalore recently, I felt this was a welcome change since I do not have to worry about draining out the phone batteries while still midway between places! I have used the navigation feature only few times in the last couple of days but have found it to be quite accurate so far. However, I could not immediately find any control to stop the voice assist while using the map.

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-8.jpg

In the below picture you see a small box indicated by an arrow. That is the map GPS unit and is open to sky as required for any satellite based navigation.
Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-2.jpg

The entertainment part is primarily audio but Honda has done a good job of providing multiple interfaces. I have been able to play music directly from my phone via bluetooth.

Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System-6.jpg

The system has a USB port, placed inside the glove. I tried to play music using my 250 GB external storage but the system refused to detect it. Later I learnt that it can only read devices upto 32 GB. I subsequently connected my 4 GB USB pendrive and it plays fine. There is also an iPod port provided inside the glove but I am yet to test it. I have also not tested the DVD system. The speakers are nice and there are two tweeters on the front doors.

On the whole I am quite satisfied with my experiences with my City upto now and there are no unpleasant surprises so far. I hope to post more updates in the days to come.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2013 at 09:32. Reason: PM coming up
rajeshblue is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 09:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to ICE. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 17:57   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda City : A close look at the factory-fitted Audio, Video & Navigation System

Thanks for sharing this, what variant is your Honda City?

AFAIK cruise control features was included only in automatic transmission versions of Honda City. Did they introduce a new variant?
Old 14th July 2013, 13:23   #4

@bharatbs This variant is called MT AVN. This was introduced sometime in 2012. Frankly, I have not been able to use the cruise control features even once given that my usage is primarily Chennai city.
Old 4th March 2014, 17:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
Today I brought home my Honda City MT (Manual Transmission), Carnelian Red, that comes factory fitted Audio Visual & Navigation System.
Lovely thread.

Rajesh would you happen to know if the Audio Visual & Navigation System your car has is available as an option for other older Citys of 2009-11 vintage.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 01:33   #6
BHPian

My wishes for your new car.

Is it an DVD based maps or an SD card based maps?

I think your HU mite be from alpine. Do you have any special option like controlling HVAC from your HU screen? or you got dedicated buttons for the AC?
sumanbhokray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 15:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
My wishes for your new car.

Is it an DVD based maps or an SD card based maps?
It is an SD card based map.

Quote:
I think your HU mite be from alpine. Do you have any special option like controlling HVAC from your HU screen? or you got dedicated buttons for the AC?
Unfortunately, it does not have any brand markings anywhere so it is quite difficult for me to say for sure. As regards any features such as HVAC control from HU, no, the AVN system is quite stand alone by itself. Additional controls on the touch panel would just be so nice and futuristic.
Old 20th April 2014, 16:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Lovely thread.

Rajesh would you happen to know if the Audio Visual & Navigation System your car has is available as an option for other older Citys of 2009-11 vintage.
Hi Navin,

To the best of my knowledge, this version is available only as factory fitment.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
To the best of my knowledge, this version is available only as factory fitment.
Thanks Rajesh,

Was there a cost to it or did it come standard in one of the models Honda sold?
Old 21st April 2014, 12:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Thanks Rajesh,

Was there a cost to it or did it come standard in one of the models Honda sold?
Hi Navin, Honda City offered a variant called V MT - AVN (MT stands for manual transmission and AVN probably stands for AV and Navigation). It was the topmost variant except the one with Sunroof which was still higher. Came with leather seats and alloys.

I am personally not too sure f they have an equivalent variant available in 2014 model.
rajeshblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 19:07   #11
BHPian

@rajeshblue - hope you are still using your Honda city as shown above. Had some queries about AVN installed as factory fitted.

1 - how is the touch response?
2 - does it auto play songs from USB, when you restart the engine?
3 - have you faced any system errors which required fix?
4- how are the maps updated? Is it managed by the dealer as part of service?
5- do we have an option to replace AVN unit as a whole? What are our options?

Thanks,
Old 8th December 2015, 19:39   #12

From the looks of it, this looks like either a Caska or Motevo AVN system. The dealerships install these systems upon customer requests. If you're sure it's a factory fitted system then it is probably Alpine.

I have a 2010 City which has a Motevo system installed that has a similar display. Also have a 2015 Brio that has the factory fitted Alpine system.

To answer your questions:
1 - how is the touch response?
It's nothing like smartphones and uses the older touch screen technology that is more responsive to nails than skin. This is true for both Motevo/Caska & Alpine units.

2 - does it auto play songs from USB, when you restart the engine?
You need to start the playback again though it picks up where it was stopped last.

3 - have you faced any system errors which required fix?
None.

4- how are the maps updated? Is it managed by the dealer as part of service?
My advise would be to not go to the dealership for map updates. They charge around Rs. 7000 for the new maps. The Motevo/Caska units use standard MapMyIndia maps while the Alpine units use customized MapMyIndia maps that are available through authorized Alpine dealers at half the dealership prices.

You can replace the AVN units. Plenty of options available in the aftermarket.
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
You can replace the AVN units. Plenty of options available in the aftermarket.
can you kindly suggest please? have a 2012 HC and planning to replace the unit. Main features am looking for are maps, bluetooth phone calls and if possible Airplay.
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
have a 2012 HC and planning to replace the unit. Main features am looking for are maps, bluetooth phone calls and if possible Airplay.
Check for Caska units if you wish to maintain OEM looks else Pioneer also has head-units offering integrated reverse camera, maps, bluetooth.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Check for Caska units if you wish to maintain OEM looks else Pioneer also has head-units offering integrated reverse camera, maps, bluetooth.
Thanks. Caska units are at a discount in Snapdeal. costs ~30K post discount. does that sound right?
Would the pioneer ones be a direct fit into the console?

Most Viewed