Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 13:18   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo TSI: Stock Head-Unit with Infinity. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Hi, were you able to fit the tweeters in the stock location in A pillar ? I too have a fabia and an unused set of Kappa with me, thinking of getting these fixed. Can you post some pics please ? thanks in advance. I presume you are driving them from the stock HU.
Kappa Tweeters dont fit in Fabia A Pillar, I had them placed outside the A Pillar plastic case on the same spot where the twitters were there, its not that visible from ouside.
These tweeters are driven from the stock HU
Old 14th November 2013, 16:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
... I had them placed outside the A Pillar plastic case on the same spot where the twitters were there, ...
Could you post some pics of the tweeter mounting? Would be easier to understand.
Old 16th November 2013, 18:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Are you sure that the stock RCD320 that now comes with the Polo GT's does not have a CANBUS interface? I was under the impression like all VAG cars it does and was looking to upgrade my HU to something from Kenwood or Blaupunkt with a CAN interface so that my Optical Parking Display & ACC details can also be displayed on the HU. If this is so its just plain ridiculous!

Can more people please verify this, I will put my HU upgrade plans on hold then.
I have the same question, my polo C/L P came with RCD220 which I swapped to MapmyIndia AVNR from VW showroom, understood that new stock HUs are non CANBUS, but is there any canbus line on the connector or even they do not exist?

If its not there then where does the HU understand dimming signal, reverse gear engagement? I also heard that VW HUs are always on kinds and are booted thru canbus signal, same is the case with my Mapmyindia HU, it remains on for around 10 seconds even after the key is removed.

can experts throw some light on the subject...

I was planning to
a. upgrade to Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 which sure is a canbus compatible unit
b. try to hook into canbus and try any mods possible with the canbus data.
Old 21st December 2013, 11:37   #34

Info on Audio System in the VW POLO GT TDI?

Greetings to one and all,

I have booked a POLO GT TDI recently and during the test drive i felt the inbuilt audio system was a lot better than what other manufacturers give. Would like to mention a few ones i have experienced which are owned by near and dear ones, XUV500, I20 2013, I10 sportz, ecosport, Duster and Swift 2013.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sound system, would like to hear more about it.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Seems a lot of dealers / installers are just misinforming people in the hope to "up sell" them to more expensive equipment! How pathetic!
kbk_75, I'd be curious to know what you finally got done. I'm in a similar situation as yours - want to retain RCD 320 and change the speakers in my Vento TSI and not sure I want components. One solution I thought of was to use coaxials with swiveling tweeters, which are available from Focal and Polk, until I decide to do a full ICE overhaul.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
kbk_75, I'd be curious to know what you finally got done. I'm in a similar situation as yours - want to retain RCD 320 and change the speakers in my Vento TSI and not sure I want components. One solution I thought of was to use coaxials with swiveling tweeters, which are available from Focal and Polk, until I decide to do a full ICE overhaul.
Sorry, I never did get my Polo TSI. Got jerked around by the dealership and got fed up waiting for the car, so cancelled my order and picked up a Countryman Cooper S instead.
Old 13th March 2014, 15:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Sorry, I never did get my Polo TSI. Got jerked around by the dealership and got fed up waiting for the car, so cancelled my order and picked up a Countryman Cooper S instead.
thanks for your reply and wow! I guess you won't be looking to change speakers in the Mini Countryman
Old 13th March 2014, 16:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
thanks for your reply and wow! I guess you won't be looking to change speakers in the Mini Countryman
The Countryman Cooper S's Harman Kardon system is pretty decent, though it could do with a little more bass. Still, I haven't felt the need to upgrade the audio system much.
Old 28th June 2014, 00:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Are you sure that the stock RCD320 that now comes with the Polo GT's does not have a CANBUS interface? I was under the impression like all VAG cars it does and was looking to upgrade my HU to something from Kenwood or Blaupunkt with a CAN interface so that my Optical Parking Display & ACC details can also be displayed on the HU. If this is so its just plain ridiculous!

Can more people please verify this, I will put my HU upgrade plans on hold then.
Hi, May I know if you were able to change your stock HU from 320 to RCD 510 ? Can you re-confirm if the RCD 320 is a NON Canbus and if yes, can I know from where can I source the adaptor ?

Thanks,
Old 8th July 2014, 10:48   #40
BHPian

hi all,

searched through the ICE section, and this thread seems closest to my requirement, hence hijacking this.

1. Your Car: VW Polo CL

2. Your current setup (If any): Stock

3. Your Budget: 10-15K

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Can't afford chauffer!

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): bollywood, regional, country, indian classical, concertos, rock, jazz, trance.. but nothing too bass driven

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Nope

I intend to keep the stock HU, and would like to skip the amp if possible. My exact requirement is speaker replacement suggestion of the stock speakers (preferably components), with minimal/no hardware changes (i.e. drilling etc). Consider myself a simpleton in audio perspective, so don't want anything out of this world, just a few notches above the stock audio.

Suggestions please??

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 8th July 2014 at 10:50.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
... I intend to keep the stock HU, and would like to skip the amp if possible. My exact requirement is speaker replacement suggestion of the stock speakers (preferably components), with minimal/no hardware changes (i.e. drilling etc). Consider myself a simpleton in audio perspective, so don't want anything out of this world, just a few notches above the stock audio.

Suggestions please??
In your budget (15K) you can get a decent pair of components (5-9K) AND a decent amp (Kenwood M846 or JBL X646). It will be many notches above the OE system.

* Audition components at dealers you can access (skip if they don't give an audition). Infinity (Reference, Kappa), JBL GTO, Morel, Boston, Polk, Bull etc.

* 6.5" components will fit in the standard locations: mid-bass in door, tweeter at the ORVM mount (sail panel)

* Retain the existing OE coaxials in rear doors
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 15:09   #42
BHPian

thanks mate! A few questions on top of your replies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
In your budget (15K) you can get a decent pair of components (5-9K) AND a decent amp (Kenwood M846 or JBL X646). It will be many notches above the OE system.

The amps should be around 6-7K, I guess? Forgive me for the barrage of noob questions that follow:
1. Where is an amp installed?
2. No splicing, wire cutting while installing amp (that was my primary reason to skip the amp)?
3. By thread-browsing at random, I have got the vague idea that a HU has to have sufficient power/electricity/muscle () to drive an amp. I guess the polo HU can support the amps you have suggested.

* Audition components at dealers you can access (skip if they don't give an audition). Infinity (Reference, Kappa), JBL GTO, Morel, Boston, Polk, Bull etc.

How do they audition the speakers? Do they fit it in my car and give it a go? Otherwise seems like it's an futile attempt, given each car's audio properties (gawd, I sound sooo non-techy here!) are different. I mean cabin shape, materials used etc.

* 6.5" components will fit in the standard locations: mid-bass in door, tweeter at the ORVM mount (sail panel)

Does this mean sail panel will be drilled/ cut?

* Retain the existing OE coaxials in rear doors
Old 8th July 2014, 17:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The amps should be around 6-7K, I guess? ...
Yes, including the RCA, speaker and power cables. You will need to buy a Line Output Converter if the OE HU doesn't have RCA Pre-out (OE HUs generally don't).

Quote:
... 1. Where is an amp installed? ...
Best would be on one side of the boot (the one that doesn't have the petrol inlet). Alternatively behind the rear seat back rest. Mounted on an MDF sheet.

Quote:
... 2. No splicing, wire cutting while installing amp (that was my primary reason to skip the amp)? ...
None. Remote Turn-on for Amp is available at the Harness Adapter of the OE HU. Power comes straight from Battery with it's own fuse. Speaker connections go directly to speaker.

Quote:
... 3. By thread-browsing at random, I have got the vague idea that a HU has to have sufficient power/electricity/muscle ... to drive an amp. ...
Huh? No, there is no power drawn from the HU.

Quote:
... How do they audition the speakers? Do they fit it in my car and give it a go? ...
Yes.

Quote:
... Does this mean sail panel will be drilled/ cut? ...
Depends on your trim level. If you have a manual ORVM adjuster, the installer will mount it on the A-pillar. Holes may not be required to be drilled - just tell the installer the do's and don'ts.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 17:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Huh? No, there is no power drawn from the HU.
Cheers, I was wrong about this.

I have e adjust orvms, so the sail panels are empty. Are the tweeters stuck on?
Old 8th July 2014, 17:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the sail panels are empty. Are the tweeters stuck on?
Can be, using double sided tape. But that is risky, some day you will find them dangling down. Depending on the tweeter mount, the installer can use hot melt glue or anabond to stick it there.

Are you thinking of removing the tweeters and resetting everything to pristine condition when selling the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks