Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 03:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Polo TSI: Stock Head-Unit with Infinity. Thoughts?

My Polo TSI should be here in a couple of days and I want to upgrade the music system because I feel the stock system has absolutely no treble and a muddy mid-range, which makes my trance sound like crap.

I was thinking of retaining the stock RCD 320 HU which has Bluetooth, USB, SD, Aux and a CD player + radio. I have very fond memories of the music system I had in my OHC that used Inifinity Gold speakers, so I was thinking of replacing the Polo's stock speakers with coax Infinity Kappa speakers. I originally wanted the three-way 6 1/2" 63.9i speakers for all four doors but it seems these aren't available locally so I'm now thinking of getting the two-way 6 1/2" 62.11 speakers.

Any thoughts? Dunno what sort of output the RCD 320 has, would it be adequate to power the Infinity Kappas or would an amp be a sure requirement? I'm not looking for crazy sound levels, I just want nice, clean sound from the four in-door speakers and the stock HU.
Old 28th May 2013, 08:49   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo TSI: Stock Head-Unit with Infinity. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
My Polo TSI should be here in a couple of days and I want to upgrade the music system because I feel the stock system has absolutely no treble and a muddy mid-range, which makes my trance sound like crap.

I was thinking of retaining the stock RCD 320 HU which has Bluetooth, USB, SD, Aux and a CD player + radio. I have very fond memories of the music system I had in my OHC that used Inifinity Gold speakers, so I was thinking of replacing the Polo's stock speakers with coax Infinity Kappa speakers. I originally wanted the three-way 6 1/2" 63.9i speakers for all four doors but it seems these aren't available locally so I'm now thinking of getting the two-way 6 1/2" 62.11 speakers.

Any thoughts? Dunno what sort of output the RCD 320 has, would it be adequate to power the Infinity Kappas or would an amp be a sure requirement? I'm not looking for crazy sound levels, I just want nice, clean sound from the four in-door speakers and the stock HU.
Firstly congrats on the Polo! I'm sure you're gonna enjoy the ride!

As for the ICE setup, my opinion is that as long as the OEM HU is not absolute rubbish, they should be able to drive Infinity coaxes sufficiently well. An amp will most certainly spruce things up but without an amp the sound should still be acceptable to say the least. In any case, since you have decided to get these speakers, I suggest you try them out. In case you are really not satisfied with the output, you can always entertain thoughts of adding an amp to the setup at that point of time.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 09:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hello kbk_75

Thing is from where are you getting infinity kappa , as far i know kappa speakers is not available in the market . Now infinity is selling the primus series which are not upto the mark which kappa used to be . As far i have heard , kappa will be launched again .
Old 28th May 2013, 09:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hello kbk_75

Thing is from where are you getting infinity kappa , as far i know kappa speakers is not available in the market . Now infinity is selling the primus series which are not upto the mark which kappa used to be . As far i have heard , kappa will be launched again .
I spoke to their distributor yesterday and was told they had the 2 way Kappas in stock, but not the three ways. He mentioned the MRP was 15k per pair and also said the dealer would offer a discounted price but would not comment on how much the discount would be.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to their distributor yesterday and was told they had the 2 way Kappas in stock, but not the three ways. He mentioned the MRP was 15k per pair and also said the dealer would offer a discounted price but would not comment on how much the discount would be.
Kappa are good even without amps, I have it in my Fabia on the front doors and had moved the stock to the rear, I dont need a amp as I didnt need a louder sound and want to make real effect out of the Cowon J3 which has 32 preset equalizers and the Kapas have served the purpose.
Fabiaous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 10:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Kappa are good even without amps, I have it in my Fabia on the front doors and had moved the stock to the rear, I dont need a amp as I didnt need a louder sound and want to make real effect out of the Cowon J3 which has 32 preset equalizers and the Kapas have served the purpose.
That's another concern, not sure if the stock HU's bass, mid and treble adjustments will do the trick. Either way the speakers should provide a nice upgrade over the cruddy stock ones. Where did you buy yours from? Which model and how much were they? Are you using a sub in your Fabia?
Old 28th May 2013, 11:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unless you plan to awake your neighborhood most head units are capable enough to power the speakers.

Quote:
Hello kbk_75

Infinity Primus have come in place of Inifinty Reference (same price range).
Kappas are one step ahead in terms of price (and treble as well)

My experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...-series-2.html
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 11:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Polo TSI ... replacing the Polo's stock speakers with coax Infinity Kappa speakers. ... two-way 6 1/2" 62.11 speakers. ...
Not a bad idea at all, though it is better that you get a pair of components in front, not coaxes. Components would give a better sound image.

A good pair of speakers in front will do wonders as compared to the OE ones. But, do remember that the OE HU would have in-built equalization bias to suit the OE speakers, which requires a DSP to clean out.

Quote:
... as far i know kappa speakers is not available in the market ...
They are. They don't sell in significant quantities, but they are definitely available in metros and large cities.

Quote:
... but would not comment on how much the discount would be.
At least 15% - more if you can sweet talk.

Also, please check *what exactly* he has quoted for - that price is expected to be for a pair of components (60.11cs), not coaxes that you have written earlier about (62.11i).

Quote:
... Are you using a sub in your Fabia?
Since his Kappas are on HU directly, I doubt if he has a sub. Doesn't make sense to have a sub and not amplify the fronts at least - that is a tuning nightmare.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 14:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo TSI: Stock Head-Unit with Infinity. Thoughts?

Alpha, Deralte thanks for the replies. I was told by a dealer that the RCD 320 that the TSI comes equipped with is only 20W RMS. Is that correct? He then told me that the RCD 510 (that he wants me to buy) is 40-45W RMS and "very much better sound".

TBH, I'm not convinced there's much point in "upgrading" to an RCD 510 from the 320 because the 320 already has built-in Bluetooth, aux, usb, sd card. The only downer would be if it "only" has a 20W amp built in. Of course the 510 also has the option of rear view camera (that I'm not that keen on), and optical display of park sensors (which would be nice, but which requires that I add front sensors or it would be a bit lop-sided!). Furthermore, the 510 needs an extra bluetooth module and, I'm told, the USB is via a cable from the back!

Anybody have a street price on the RCD 510 with Bluetooth? Can anyone confirm if it has a built-in equaliser or is is the usual bass, mid and treble controls only? Would it make an appreciable enough difference to the sound with Infinity Kappas to justify the massive price?

Thoughts?

Edit: OK, so I did some rooting around and it seems that the RCD 510 is also a 4x20W unit, so I now really don't see the point in upgrading the HU because I don't intend to use more than the four door-mounted speakers!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 28th May 2013 at 14:35.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I was told by a dealer that the RCD 320 that the TSI comes equipped with is only 20W RMS. Is that correct? He then told me that the RCD 510 (that he wants me to buy) is 40-45W RMS and "very much better sound". ...
Here is a feature comparison of different VW-branded HUs.

Makes me wonder why they talk like that! Don't they realize that everyone has access to information that perhaps they don't?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 16:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Here is a feature comparison of different VW-branded HUs.

Makes me wonder why they talk like that! Don't they realize that everyone has access to information that perhaps they don't?
Yup that's exactly the comparison I got the stats off, actually! I guess until you check online, people still take others' word for something. You don't expect to be mislead (when perhaps you should!)
Old 28th May 2013, 18:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alpha, Deralte thanks for the replies. I was told by a dealer that the RCD 320 that the TSI comes equipped with is only 20W RMS. Is that correct? He then told me that the RCD 510 (that he wants me to buy) is 40-45W RMS and "very much better sound".
What loads of balls!
A amp which can deliver 40W can produce only 3dB more than what a 20W amp can.
Remember DOUBLING the wattage leads to only 3dB more sound! 3 dB more is just a sliver more than perceptible increase.

Now lets see, is 20W really insufficient?
Your speakers are usually rated for 90 dB per Watt at 1 meter distance. In a car, you will hardly come across a place which is more than 1 meter away. Lets double power at each instance:
1 W = 90 db -> 2 W = 93 dB -> 4 W = 96 dB -> 8 W = 99 dB -> 16 W = 102 dB -> 32 W = 105 dB -> 64 W = 108 dB -> 128 W = 111 dB ...
So is 102 dB is less?

For most of its life even the 100W amps stay in fractional wattage range (which means delivering less than 1W). Since your music is never blaring constantly at 110 dB level.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th May 2013 at 18:20.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 21:53   #13
BHPian

Instead of a heavy duty audio mod-job, you could possibly upgrade to infinity components and JBL / Infinity coaxials at the rear. I use the same setup with my Wagon-R stock HU. Makes a world of difference and sounds better than mediocre subwoofer jobs too.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 23:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Do the tweeters for the component setups fit in-door? I wouldn't mind a component setup if everything is concealed. I don't want any tweeters visible from outside the car attracting unnecessary attention.
Old 29th May 2013, 08:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do the tweeters for the component setups fit in-door? I wouldn't mind a component setup if everything is concealed. I don't want any tweeters visible from outside the car attracting unnecessary attention.
Please check the door carefully. There will be a provision for the tweeters near or directly behind the ORVM mount. The mid-bass provision is usually very obvious at the bottom of the door pad on the hinge side of the door.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks