Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:56   #16
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Tata Safari Storme

Dear ICE Gurus,
Iam in the process of buying a Storme Ex. At present the storme is coming without any ICE. There is only a single-din slot. Now TML is offering their Explorer Edition Blaupunkt double din system (which fits in the single din slot) for Rs.21,000/-. The HU is a touch-screen, with Bluetooth, Aux etc. Prima facie the HU does not seem to be up to the mark and as it is the screen is not properly visible owing to its position behind the gear stick. Iam thoroughly confused as to whether I should buy the HU from TML or not. What are my options of getting a Flip-out HU or any other HU (double-din) to be fixed in the single-din slot. Since mostly every Storme buyer is also purchasing the Blaupunkt HU, the accessories shops in NCR are clueless about the probable options for the storme. I need a good quality HU in which the Reverse parking system can also be integrated.
PLEASE HELP
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
....Iam thoroughly confused as to whether I should buy the HU from TML or not. What are my options of getting a Flip-out HU or any other HU (double-din) to be fixed in the single-din slot. Since mostly every Storme buyer is also purchasing the Blaupunkt HU, the accessories shops in NCR are clueless about the probable options for the storme. I need a good quality HU in which the Reverse parking system can also be integrated.
PLEASE HELP
I do NOT think you have another option than TML stuff. @LukeSkywalker mentioned that the TML HU is from Blaupaunkt. So it may be nice. You may need to check with him for more details.
Old 4th March 2014, 00:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Big Daddies of ICE, i have a queer question

I am in possession of a Safari Storme and as stocks, they have provided an Alpine HU. Now i know that Alpine is like the godfather of ICE. However, the speakers are a big question mark.

I also have a Ford Fusion which is now rarely driven and therefore to minimize the cost of speakers, i would like to swap the two. The FF speakers are 5X7 in size while the Safari Storme is probably 6" or 6.5" in size

Can i swap both the speakers. If not, on a budget footing (say Rs 10,000) what is the best form of speakers to get. I am not a bass fan (more of classic rock) and therefore i dont intend to get a sub woofer in.Can some of you help me on this. Also, let me know who would be a good person to go to for ICE upgrades in Bangalore
Cut the confusion, you have an Alpine HU, which even at its worst would be better than most!

With that kind of budget I would suggest you to go in for a decent pair of 6.5 inch components for the front and similarly sized co-axial speakers, preferably from the same manufacturer and the same series as the components, for the rear( mid row in your case).
Run them off the HU and they will all run just fine, for someone who doesn't want bass!
Frankly, add a little extra to your budget and you'll have nice sounding set-up.
About options, most brands would have the above suggested speaker set-ups in their line up! I am a Focal fan, would suggest you to look at the latest Access Series components and co-axials!

Edit-- My bad! I posted without going through the whole thread! Seems subraiyr has already done the needful!

Last edited by 599gto : 4th March 2014 at 00:48.
Old 4th March 2014, 11:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... At present the storme is coming without any ICE. There is only a single-din slot. Now TML is offering their Explorer Edition Blaupunkt double din system (which fits in the single din slot) for Rs.21,000/-. The HU is a touch-screen, with Bluetooth, Aux etc. Prima facie the HU does not seem to be up to the mark and as it is the screen is not properly visible owing to its position behind the gear stick. ...
Grab this HU. You can't get a better Flip out monitor touchscreen HU than this for the price in your situation. Sound-wise, a Blau HU is far better than white-branded Chinese HUs like Boss, Pyle etc.

There is no way one can shoehorn a proper 2DIN HU in the Safari / Storme dash. The only other alternative is a good 1DIN HU like the Kenwood 8016BT or JVC etc. with built-in BT. Check the manual online - there must be a provision for attaching the rear view camera.

You are not supposed to look at the screen while driving, so that location is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
... Edit-- My bad! I posted without going through the whole thread! Seems subraiyr has already done the needful!
And I was wondering why you are responding to a months-old post!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 13:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Grab this HU. You can't get a better Flip out monitor touchscreen HU than this for the price in your situation. Sound-wise, a Blau HU is far better than white-branded Chinese HUs like Boss, Pyle etc.

There is no way one can shoehorn a proper 2DIN HU in the Safari / Storme dash. The only other alternative is a good 1DIN HU like the Kenwood 8016BT or JVC etc. with built-in BT. Check the manual online - there must be a provision for attaching the rear view camera.

You are not supposed to look at the screen while driving, so that location is just fine.

And I was wondering why you are responding to a months-old post!
Thanks for your advise. Yes the rear view camera can be attached with this HU. I was also looking for HUs which have the motorised flip out screens, however I dont think they are VFM in the long run. Also most of the screens in such HUs flip out towards the top and that would be an impediment in the AC controls or even worse the screen could collide/touch/meddle with the AC knobs
Old 4th March 2014, 13:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I was also looking for HUs which have the motorised flip out screens, however I dont think they are VFM in the long run. ...
There are no other flip-out screens available officially in India. Pioneer has a model, but doesn't sell it here.

If you consider selling it off with the car when you sell the car, it is VFM for your situation. It is very difficult to predict whether your next car can use this or not.

Quote:
... Also most of the screens in such HUs flip out towards the top and that would be an impediment in the AC controls or even worse the screen could collide/touch/meddle with the AC knobs
ALL of them flip up. Don't worry, you can set the position of the flipped-out screen once, and the unit will remember the last position.

No, it will not foul with the gear lever or the AC knobs. One doesn't access the AC knobs often, so that is not a problem. Pity the Tata guys haven't gotten around to designing a more modern dash.
Old 4th March 2014, 13:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
There are no other flip-out screens available officially in India. Pioneer has a model, but doesn't sell it here.

If you consider selling it off with the car when you sell the car, it is VFM for your situation. It is very difficult to predict whether your next car can use this or not.

ALL of them flip up. Don't worry, you can set the position of the flipped-out screen once, and the unit will remember the last position.

No, it will not foul with the gear lever or the AC knobs. One doesn't access the AC knobs often, so that is not a problem. Pity the Tata guys haven't gotten around to designing a more modern dash.
Pioneer has the AVH-X7550BT which is a flip out HU. Its for Rs.31,000/- approx. It is available in the market ( have to confirm whether its with or without bill and warranty). Even assuming that it is not grey market stuff, is it not too steep?? The reviews of the aforementioned HU are good atleast on the internet. I wish the TATA guys would have incorporated a double din/ designed a modern dash which could support a proper double din. Looks like I may have to go for the Blaupunkt HU only. The rear view cam display can be integrated in the HU only and a seperate display for sensors would do.
Old 4th March 2014, 14:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... AVH-X7550BT ... is it not too steep?? ...
Sure, for that price it is not VFM. Well, one has to qualify that. If the functionality is the same as that of their regular 2DIN boxes, it is not a bad price. Other Flip-outs available in US are rather anemic in their functionality, so a price comparison with them is not correct.

Quote:
... only and a seperate display for sensors would do.
Which sensors do you mean? Ultrasonic bumper mounted sensors? They are never integrated with the HU - they always come with their own control and display unit.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:03   #24
BHPian

A friend of mine is picking up a Storme today and he is not keen with the double din HU or speakers which Tata offers as additional accessory.

Can guru's suggest a ideal set-up for safari storme in a budget of 35 to 40k?
Old 17th October 2014, 12:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Tata offers as additional accessory.
Is it an integrated unit with the vehicle related info like OBD data?
Old 17th October 2014, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Is it an integrated unit with the vehicle related info like OBD data?
I am not sure about the OBD part....but it is like any other aftermarket HU.
Old 17th October 2014, 14:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Storme ... double din HU or speakers which Tata offers as additional accessory. ...
Which make and model is Tata offering? At what price?
Old 17th October 2014, 15:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Which make and model is Tata offering? At what price?
Don't have exact model/ cost; they had two double din options. the one which comes in Explorer edition (guess Blaupunkt) and another one (Pioneer).

I should also mention that he does not want a 2-Din because the space is limited & that's the reason he is not picking it up through TATA. So - pls. suggest a single din HU.
Old 17th October 2014, 16:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't have exact model/ cost; they had two double din options. ... he does not want a 2-Din because the space is limited & that's the reason he is not picking it up through TATA ...
Funny. There seems to be some confusion here. Storme has only a 1DIN slot, and one wouldn't expect the showroom guys to dumbly suggest 2DIN HUs. Let him visit Tata showroom and get proper information regarding what is on offer (exact model) and at what price.

Is it Tatas giving the HU as OE fitment? Or is it the dealer who is making a deal in between, like "I will fit the HU before the delivery of the vehicle"??? Lot of difference, since dealer is actually doing an after-market deal. If that is the case, he is better off buying from outside, since the dealer will neither give a good price, nor are they knowledgeable about speakers.

1. Good 1DIN HUs are available from Kenwood, Pioneer and JVC. Price depends on features like Bluetooth and Time Alignment. Better to scan online - both for features (on manufacturer's website) and prices (on Snapdeal etc.) - and then get an audition at accessories dealers

2. Storme takes 5.25" in the OE location (he can confirm from showroom). The options for him are Infinity Primus / Reference, JBL CS5, Polk, etc. Be sure to take audition of the speakers before buying - some of the speakers he will probably not like the sound of
Old 17th October 2014, 16:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Funny. There seems to be some confusion here. Storme has only a 1DIN slot, and one wouldn't expect the showroom guys to dumbly suggest 2DIN HUs. Let him visit Tata showroom and get proper information regarding what is on offer (exact model) and at what price.
Yes - they are dumb and the screen seem to stick out. It can be seen in this picture http://www.tatasafari.com/static/suv...ari-storme.php too. They should have made a proper slot for 2-Din.

Quote:
Is it Tatas giving the HU as OE fitment? Or is it the dealer who is making a deal in between, like "I will fit the HU before the delivery of the vehicle"??? Lot of difference, since dealer is actually doing an after-market deal. If that is the case, he is better off buying from outside, since the dealer will neither give a good price, nor are they knowledgeable about speakers.
From the safari storme page - looks like it is TATA who is providing this but OEM as i hear is Blaupunkt.

Quote:
1. Good 1DIN HUs are available from Kenwood, Pioneer and JVC. Price depends on features like Bluetooth and Time Alignment. Better to scan online - both for features (on manufacturer's website) and prices (on Snapdeal etc.) - and then get an audition at accessories dealers

2. Storme takes 5.25" in the OE location (he can confirm from showroom). The options for him are Infinity Primus / Reference, JBL CS5, Polk, etc. Be sure to take audition of the speakers before buying - some of the speakers he will probably not like the sound of
Thanks! But - any recommendations or combination (HU/ Speakers/ sub?) which will work better in a spacious cabin? Requirement is; Good SQ and should be in the budget of 35 to 40K!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks