Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2014, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Hi guys, my uncle will be getting an xcent S(o) in a few weeks and he's looking to change the HU.

His main requirements are:
- Navigation
- Display for rear camera (the So variant comes with parking sensors only)
- Bluetooth

Can you guys suggest any nice VFM HUs which doesn't have a tacky display? No fixed budget as such.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Suraj25 : 26th July 2014 at 12:36.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:19   #17
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent

Okay, so this is a later-than-expected post, but I thought I would talk about my recent ICE upgrade here itself rather than in the Sound-Off section. This is because I am talking about my ICE upgrade specifically for the Xcent.

Those that paid attention to my previous couple of posts will realize that I went in for a staged ICE upgrade. The stages I have followed so far are:

1) Front and rear speakers upgrade
2) Addition of an amplifier

The following are the work-in-progress pics along with some details/descriptions.

STAGE 1: Replacing front and rear speakers

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140712_134209.jpg
Removal of door pads to access the front and rear speakers. My idea was to put components in front and remove the rear speakers entirely, replacing them with 6x9s in the rear parcel tray.

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140712_133912.jpg
Removal of parcel tray covering to expose the metal plating. Putting 6x9s into this parcel tray required some cutting of the metal plate, with MDF used as a spacer.

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140712_134507.jpg
A close-up of the front speaker (and as a bonus, the power window motor). It was interesting to note that the Xcent has identical speakers in the front and rear. I suppose it is their placement (doors, bottom casing) that makes the fronts sound so much louder than the rears (at least to the driver and front passenger).

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140712_174742.jpg
Installation of the front components along with damping material for the front doors. Plastic covers from stock doors had to be gotten rid of.

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140714_153423.jpg
My favourite part of the front comps install! The tweeters look slick with their long tube and their material+colour is consistent with the covering on the Xcent's A-pillar.

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140714_153458.jpg
The 6x9's post-installation in the rear parcel tray. Very cleanly done - props to the guys at Evo Blr. My only complaint is that there is a small section of metal plate that was cut unevenly and is now jutting out into the boot. However, it is only in the boot though, and barely noticeable.

STAGE 2: Addition of a 4-channel amplifier

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140807_170509.jpg
The amp of interest...a Focal Solid 4! A bit outdated, I know, but a classic nonetheless. Did inquire with Evo about the FPP model but was advised against it on the grounds of it not being very VFM for the setup I have currently. Honest feedback - props to the Evo proprietor for it!

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140807_170515.jpg
The complexity ensues...here, advised to use line-level converters for both sets of speakers as the sound quality would be better than using the high-level inputs to this amp. This is probably a better approach overall, but I'll leave that one to the gurus to decide...

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140807_170523.jpg
Wiring the ground cable from the amp to the Xcent chassis. The amp was installed underneath the front passenger seat and bolted into place before its covers were put over it. A very stealthy install (as requested) which does not seem to intrude on a rear passenger's foot space and neither is it fully visible even if the front passenger seat is slid all the way front or back.

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-copy-20140807_170733.jpg
A bonus pic - view of the cable feedthrough in the Xcent's hood close to the firewall area. This is where the power cable to the amp was fed through from the battery.

It's getting a bit late so I'll leave you guys with this for now and follow up on my subjective report on how this system sounds now.
vezj420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 22:45   #18

Hey folks

I have recently upgraded my Xcent speakers (all 4) and installed Pioneer components in the front and Focal 60w rms co-axial speakers in the rear doors. The pioneers have dramatically changed the music output from the Hyundai original HU. However, the sound from original focals is not much different from the company fitted speakers. Do they need an amp output despite being rated just as much powerful as the pioneer components and not more? If that be the case, do we have RCA output at the back of the Hyundai company HU to connect the amp? Plz apprise me of these so i can power up the focal speakers
Old 17th November 2014, 15:59   #19
BHPian

@anurag, the Xcent HU does not have RCA outs. You will need to use a line level converter much like I did above...
Also, I feel that you should have done a parcel tray install for the rear speakers instead of in-door. It's hard to hear speakers that are inside the rear doors, but that's my opinion.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:46   #20

Hi All

I got a POLK DB 6501 component system (300W) and a JBL S959 6*9 that i plan to install in the rear parcel tray. Will the original xcent HU be able to drive this without any issues (from an electrical standpoint). I know an amp will make a world of difference which I plan to get sometime down the line. Until then, will this be ok?

thanks
B
Old 18th November 2014, 14:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
@anurag, the Xcent HU does not have RCA outs. You will need to use a line level converter much like I did above...
Also, I feel that you should have done a parcel tray install for the rear speakers instead of in-door. It's hard to hear speakers that are inside the rear doors, but that's my opinion.
Hey @vezj420 Thanks much; I have ordered Sony Xplod amp and Pioneer rear parcel tray speakers too. I now plan to install the amp with Pioneer real co-axials and focal rear door speakers. however, want to keep the pioneer front door components intact as they sound amazing with just the Hu output.

Q1) Can I utilize the existing rear output from the rear doors to go into the 4 channel amp via line level converter?

Q2) Whats the cost of line level converters and how many of these will I need for a 4 channel amp.

Thanks much for your feedback.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBrat View Post
... POLK DB 6501 component system ... JBL S959 6*9 ... Will the original xcent HU be able to drive this without any issues (from an electrical standpoint). ...
No issues. The HU should be able to drive these. Of course, don't try to go too loud, as the HU amp will distort. Using an external amp will cure this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.khosla View Post
... I now plan to install the amp with Pioneer real co-axials and focal rear door speakers. however, want to keep the pioneer front door components intact as they sound amazing with just the Hu output. ...
Power the fronts with the amp first, the rest can wait. They will sound better powered from the amp. If you power the rear with external amp and fronts are on HU, tuning the system will be a nightmare.

Quote:
... Q1) Can I utilize the existing rear output from the rear doors to go into the 4 channel amp via line level converter? ...
You can, but avoid it. LoC is best kept near the HU.

Quote:
... Q2) Whats the cost of line level converters and how many of these will I need for a 4 channel amp. ...
Scosche and other good ones cost 2-3K. You will need only 1.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 20:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No issues. The HU should be able to drive these. Of course, don't try to go too loud, as the HU amp will distort. Using an external amp will cure this.

Power the fronts with the amp first, the rest can wait. They will sound better powered from the amp. If you power the rear with external amp and fronts are on HU, tuning the system will be a nightmare.

You can, but avoid it. LoC is best kept near the HU.

Scosche and other good ones cost 2-3K. You will need only 1.
Hey, as per your suggestion, I should power up the front components from the amp too. In brief, following comprises of my system, I am just not able to see how I can best combine it:

- HML Headunit
- Pioneer Components in front door (sound amazing without any amp)
- Focal co-axials in rear door (not much of volume compared to pioneer componenets)
- 4 channel Xplod amp yet to be configured
- Pioneer 3 way 500W coaxial speakers for rear tray yet to be configured (primarily for bass)

In the above configuration I have these options:

(Option I) 2 channels of the amp go to the rear parcel tray speakers and 2 other channels of amp output be divided between 2 sets of door speakers (front and back)

(Option II) Leave the front components output coming in from the HU and utlilize the 4 channels of amp for rear door speakers and rear parcel tray speakers

(Option III) Dont know
Old 19th November 2014, 14:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... (Option III) Dont know
1. (You haven't mentioned the model number) Please check if the Sony amp that you have accepts Speaker Level inputs. If it does, you don't need a Line Output Converter

2. You will not be able to connect 2 speakers (neither front Pio + rear door Focal, nor rear door Focal + parcel shelf 6x9) to a channel of the amp. It will overload and fail the amp

3. You best bet would be to power the front Pio components and rear 6x9 from the amp, and leave the rear Focals on HU. This way you will be able to tune the system so that the rear 6x9 coaxes (which are more sensitive than the other speakers) do not overpower the others

4. If your Pio components are sounding good on the HU, they will sound *even better* on the external amp. The front image matters more than anything else
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 15:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. (You haven't mentioned the model number) Please check if the Sony amp that you have accepts Speaker Level inputs. If it does, you don't need a Line Output Converter

2. You will not be able to connect 2 speakers (neither front Pio + rear door Focal, nor rear door Focal + parcel shelf 6x9) to a channel of the amp. It will overload and fail the amp

3. You best bet would be to power the front Pio components and rear 6x9 from the amp, and leave the rear Focals on HU. This way you will be able to tune the system so that the rear 6x9 coaxes (which are more sensitive than the other speakers) do not overpower the others

4. If your Pio components are sounding good on the HU, they will sound *even better* on the external amp. The front image matters more than anything else

1) sony - xplod - xm-n1004 is the model no and it accepts high level inputs, but i think the HU will have to be taken out for it. Attached here is the picture of the back of amp.

2) Ok point taken. However, what would be best to bring focals to life, i had received an amazing feedback for focals but u know they are just not powered enough. My whole assumption was that 70 W RMS power of amp is good to power 60W RMS focals + 60 W RMS Pioneer components connected in series, but as suggested it can lead to amp failure

3) I'll do exactly as suggested in point 3, unless you suggest something for focals in addition

4) Point taken, looking forward to gettting the best of these componenets, esp with original CDs/lossless music
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-img_8234.jpg  

Old 21st November 2014, 15:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
Thanks for the pictures of the set up. Its interesting that you have mentioned the rear & front speakers are both same but its the placement that makes the sound difference, can you elaborate?
Old 21st November 2014, 16:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) sony - xplod - xm-n1004 is the model no and it accepts high level inputs, but i think the HU will have to be taken out for it. ...
Good. Well, the HU need not be taken out - one just needs to access the harness adapter behind it to reach the speaker-out connections.

Quote:
2)... what would be best to bring focals to life, ... 60W RMS focals + 60 W RMS Pioneer components connected in series, but as suggested it can lead to amp failure ...
Parallel connection will lead to amp failure. Series connection will raise effective load impedance to 8ohms, and you will have to increase volume to send enough power. Series connection is also a wiring challenge.

Quote:
2)... 3) I'll do exactly as suggested in point 3, unless you suggest something for focals in addition ...
Connect the focals to the B-channel of the amp, and connect the 6x9 ovals to the HU. You will have to set the volume at HU till you hear the ovals at a comfortably loud volume. After this, raise volume of front and rear till you can hear the music from front clearly over the ovals.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:59   #28

Hi. I've finally got these installed. The challenges i faced were:

- Very difficult to get the rear tray sheet cut
- Rear speakers with 4 door speakers add to a lot of loudness so i had to set the tray speaks to LPF mode for bass only
- I was told by the installer that all 4 door speakers can be connected in parallel if you keep bass low for optimum power load; i've done that and works fine as of now; I am monitoring te amp for overheating
- The HU has very few sound optimization options (to get the best i've faded towards +5 on rear for good bass through rear 6X9's set with LPF and all 4 other speakers are giving great voice + high frequencies)
- Putting high input into the amp (that this model allows) has increased the steady noise through the speakers

However, overall; money well spent, too much an advancement from the original setup that came from hyundai. Also, focal speakers that i spent a lot on are now giving the desired output.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... - I was told by the installer that all 4 door speakers can be connected in parallel if you keep bass low for optimum power load; i've done that and works fine as of now; I am monitoring te amp for overheating ...
What was that man thinking when he said that?

1. You can't figure out 'optimum power load' (that is woo-woo to impress you)
2. You seem to *love* bass, so keeping it low is anathemic
3. The front and rear images will be the same, and I would expect the singers to be singing somewhere near the seat back of the front seats, instead on / near the dashboard
4. It will be a nuisance having to redo the wiring when you find the amp tripping

Ah well!

Quote:
... - The HU has very few sound optimization options (to get the best i've faded towards +5 on rear for good bass through rear 6X9's set with LPF and all 4 other speakers are giving great voice + high frequencies) ...
You shouldn't use 'sound optimization'. Play the system to it's natural capability. LPF is set at the HU or at the ap

Quote:
... - Putting high input into the amp (that this model allows) has increased the steady noise through the speakers ...
Gain is set too high. Retune by first the setting the volume control at the HU a bit higher, and then reduce amp gain.
Old 25th November 2014, 16:36   #30

Hi, I am utterly confused because there are so many iterations possible with the settings and no setting is seeming to be great for all types of music. I have the following configuration to make it simpler (image attached), how may I best configure it now?
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent-existing-setting.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks